Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In regards to leerburg.com    , There are a few things that he does that I may not agree with also; however, for a new owner who knows nothing about traing the GSD, this is a good place to begin.  
There is a lot of good information out on the 'net.
I like Leerburgs because a lot of it is on his site with many articles and q and a pages.
Take Care of your Dogs; They Truly are our Best Friends.
p.s. don't work pups too hard, or I can almost guarantee hip problems. no hard jumping 'till 12 mos.
Nice Pics, TNX. Out
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn....brings a tear to my eyes looking at that pup!  I have two that are getting up there in years, one 11 the other 13. Brother and sister.  Male was trained by me for search work.

I remember when I got him he was also 13 weeks old and looked just like Magnum. Wish I could turn back the clock for him now. Deafness, and arthritis have set in, maybe even a little dimentia but he's still the best dog and friend I ever had. Spent countless hours with him in the field training and he was an excellent searchdog.
He still responds to hand commands (good thing because he's deaf as a stone). He will go where directed by hand and is vocal about when he wants to go out, come in, be fed. His internal clock is almost as accurate as the clock on the wall. He knows exactly when its time to be fed and doesn't hesitate to let me or my wife know.

I envy you with your new friend......treat him right. Look after him and his medical needs. Be kind to him and don't break his spirit. They are far more in tune with YOUR emotions than you are and they respond in kind. They learn fast and retain a lot. Praise is what they understand, not punishment.
The simpler the commands the better, coupled with a hand signal.....be consistant.
He will be a loyal and loving friend to you and will always want to be around, even if he shys off and finds a place 30 ft away. They like to stay in view but sometimes be on their own.

I did six months of preparation before I got my first one, reading everything I could find on them. Be acutely aware of how you play with them. No playing after meals, torsion stomach is deadly and can happen in an instant if he's rolled over too rough.  Let his bones develop before any high jumping and beware of crutiate ligament damage from chasing balls. Plenty of info on the net to read up on.

You've got a great looking pup there and he'll be around for many years with good care.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
this is my most recent pure bred, fenris, back in '04, around that age

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]

here is my big boy, lucky. he is 9 now, might not be with us too much longer. He looked alot like your puppy when he was young, cone-head ears and all. Has been the most faithful and great dog anyone could ask for. Good luck with your friend.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]

here is an updated pic. about 5 months old and around 55lbs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a Doberman fan myself, but thats a great looking dog you have there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't worry, that dog's gonna be huge.

German Shepards have problems with hip displacia though, so being huge may not be that great for him. I've heard that feeding your dog yogurt can help prevent diplacia.

Yogurt helps, but with American bloodlines like that, he's gonna have trouble.  Displaysia is most prominant in the American lines.  A male GSD over 90 pounds will also have trouble.  A low protein diet when they are young can help.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

German Shepards have problems with hip displacia though, so being huge may not be that great for him. I've heard that feeding your dog yogurt can help prevent diplacia.

Yogurt helps, but with American bloodlines like that, he's gonna have trouble.  Displaysia is most prominant in the American lines.  A male GSD over 90 pounds will also have trouble.  A low protein diet when they are young can help.

he is actually of german bloodlines. for what its worth, the hip certifaction went back several generations. the ancestors are all free of hip displaycia. maybe magnum will be as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
When we got our (big baby) GSD, a friend of ours gave us a book by some monks from upstate NY. Pretty much all they do (besides, you know, monk stuff) is raise and train Shepherds. I think it was pretty literal - "How to Raise a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete (sp?). Really good stuff and we're always getting comments on his training and disposition. No joke - worked like an owners' manual. Gorgeous pup - reminds me of when our guy went through the "walking radar array" phase....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

he is actually of german bloodlines. for what its worth, the hip certifaction went back several generations. the ancestors are all free of hip displaycia. maybe magnum will be as well.

Damn, you rarely see that with a history of a GSD that big.  Good find.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, you rarely see that with a history of a GSD that big.  Good find.

most of the breeders we talked to with the german line of shepards could produce docs showing H.D. free dogs for several generations.hell, maybe they were forgeries. not like i am gonna check them out.but, alot of the dogs were smaller than magnums parents. who knows. i will just hope for the best and deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]
new pic of mag, now almost 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
He'll fill out, they go through stages were they seem to be skinny, my latest german shepherd fenris is just now filled out and he was 2 in jan..

your do looks very happy and spoiled.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]
WoW! Great looking dogs folks.

I also need to get a damn house so I can get one of those dogs...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Beautiful dog.  With those ears I bet he can hear a gnat fart in a cotton field three counties away.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Good looking dog.  I have a Shiloh who will be 14 weeks and around 43lbs on Sunday.  Training has been easy with him. He still has 'puppy selective hearing' at times, but when he settles down he learns very fast.  He's already doing more than my lab ever did.  

How is your training with him going?  I purchased the Art of Raising a Puppy by those Monks and am halfway through it.  Pretty good and informative, and since they raise Shepherds really applies to how to work with the dog.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Great looking GSD. Here is my new pup, 12 weeks old.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
hes filled out pretty good actually, he will be 6 months old on feb 18th. he hasnt been weighed since his last doc visit, but he is near 60 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
one more

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys are KILLING ME with these beautiful dog pics!

GSDs are my favorite... And the wife is deathly afraid of them  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You guys are KILLING ME with these beautiful dog pics!

GSDs are my favorite... And the wife is deathly afraid of them  

You said you wanted to see more pics of GSDs?

taken yesterday of Gus, eating better every day.  Gus is from the German Shepher Rescue system.  If you want a free shepherd look them up near you.   We have had him for a month now. he is a little over 1 and 1/2 yrs old.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO There is no finer animal in the world than the GSD...

I just wish I'd have the chance to own one without my wife being so afraid of them.

oh well. She has good reasons to be afraid of large dogs - she's been bitten before, pretty traumatic. *sigh* Give your beautiful dogs a pat on the head for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's HOGAN at 2 years old!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Awsome dog. If he is going to be trained as a bite dog, I suggest getting a puppy sleeve and start playing with him. Talk to whoever is going to train him first. A puppy sleeve would get him used to the idea of bitting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Here's Kayla and Max (Kayla on the right and Max on the left).  Kayla is my dog and Max is her cousin.

GSD's are wonderful companions.

Here's Kayla the day we brought her home. (about 1.5yrs before the top picture of her.)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
one more

I forgot to add that this thread is the only reason I now have "Gus".   My wife and kids were wanting a new dog and I wasn't having any of the Golden Retriever thing that they were thinking.   I told them if we were getting a new dog, it was going to be a GSD, and my search started.

Gus is the best dog I've ever been around.  He is extreamly pleasent to be around, and follows me everywhere.  He goes a little off the wall when I leave, but other than that is very calm.   I am amazed that he is so good around strangers, and when I tell him to sit and stay or lay down, he instantly responds.  My dad thought I was nuts when he found out we got a GSD.  He likes labs.  He is very impressed with Gus.  

Dang good dog, and I owe it all to you  jmt1271.   Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
thats great, i dont think you could go wrong with a shepard. good luck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#28]
This is Zena, she passed on in the fall due to an apparent stroke/old age...I'm thinking she was around 7 or 8 when the pic was taken.......I'm looking for a current pic of Sasha our other shepherd...

ETA- Here is Sasha who is almost 4 years old now and just over 100lbs.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]
JMt, that is a great looking dog. Someone also posted to look out for hip dysplasia in large breed dogs. They are right, but the secret to help a dog prevent or deal with it is vitamin c.

A local vet, Dr. Richie(don't remember his first name) was our vet and is well known in the ausin area, found that hip dysplasia is simalar to scurvy in humans. At least the symptoms are. He treated his prize bird dogs with vitimin c and had very good results. Just some info for the far future if the pup should develop this problem.

now go out side and throw the ball for the pup.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#30]

this is my 1st pure bred, thor, who passed away with another ofmy dogs, mafausa, in july '03.

and another I bought in spring of '04, fenris, he was 2 in january. With bear my chow mix.

and playing with his best friend, girlfriend, puppi, who's tougher than he is.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Not to hi-jack, but on the subject of dogs;

Does anyone have, or ever owned a dog that does not bark......I mean at all?

My Gus does not bark....ever.

In the month that I've had him he has barked  4 barks, two times when he got his foot caught on the door, and once at the Warthog mount in my basement, and once while I was messing around with him.    These were not a series of barks, just one lone "woof" each time.

Very wierd, but not bad by any means.  Our last dog Chealsey needed a bark collar for a while, and she was still bery vocal.  

Anyone else have this expeience with a dog?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Besenji is the dog that doesn't bark.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, his family is hip-certified, for what that is worth. hopefully he will be fine like his ancestors. time will tell.

Yup, just don't run him hard until he is at least a year and a half old and don't neuter him until at least a little over a year old so that he has the testosterone to grow his muscle and bone and close his growth plates and develope his masculine features. This is believed to help prevent displaysia in large breeds.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, his family is hip-certified, for what that is worth. hopefully he will be fine like his ancestors. time will tell.

Yup, just don't run him hard until he is at least a year and a half old and don't neuter him until at least a little over a year old so that he has the testosterone to grow his muscle and bone and close his growth plates and develope his masculine features. This is believed to help prevent displaysia in large breeds.

doubt we will ever neuter him. doesnt seem right to do to a friend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#35]
What a beautiful pup!!!!  GSD's are the best dogs evar.

Here's mine on a camping trip last summer.  Got him last spring, he had just turned 2.  Woman who owned him probably had her hands full!!  He started out pretty hyper and out of control, but he has come around very nicely.  He has all the basic stuff down cold, he reads my body language, and I also have him doing sit, down, and stay with hand signals.   Typical of GSD's, he is a real lover and doesn't ever stray very far from me.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

doubt we will ever neuter him. doesnt seem right to do to a friend.

I agree, but some vets really push you to do it and people give in. Good for you, we would'nt want that done to us now would we?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Man, I can't wait unit I get a German Shepard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

In the month that I've had him he has barked  4 barks, two times when he got his foot caught on the door, and once at the Warthog mount in my basement, and once while I was messing around with him.    These were not a series of barks, just one lone "woof" each time.

Very wierd, but not bad by any means.  Our last dog Chealsey needed a bark collar for a while, and she was still bery vocal.  

The GSD I had before was real barky when we got him, but he came from a kennel environment and my then wife had brought him home while I was out of town...and was keeping him alone out in the breezeway.  The first thing I did was change that rule.....the dog came inside with us.  He settled down a lot but was still a little barky.  I yelled at him for it like twice, the second time I grabbed him by the muzzle and gave it a little squeeze.  I don't know if that is a recommended thing, but if you choose to use it, don't squeeze very hard and be careful you don't make him bite his tongue.  Anyway, then he wouldn't bark at all.  But I wanted him to bark when someone came around or to the door.  So next time someone came over and knocked on the door, I barked.  He looked at me funny, and barked too.  After that, he only barked when someone came to the door or something strange was going on.  ETA - or when the chipmunks came up on the back step by the glass sliding door.....both of my dogs hated that.

GSDs are very smart dogs!

Bark when you want him to bark.  He'll figure it out!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

My Red Heeler can whoop your pussy shepards ass any day of the week, dont belive me bring it over and throw him in the cage with Trixie

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The GSD I had before was real barky when we got him, but he came from a kennel environment and my then wife had brought him home while I was out of town...and was keeping him alone out in the breezeway.  The first thing I did was change that rule.....the dog came inside with us.  He settled down a lot but was still a little barky.  I yelled at him for it like twice, the second time I grabbed him by the muzzle and gave it a little squeeze.  I don't know if that is a recommended thing, but if you choose to use it, don't squeeze very hard and be careful you don't make him bite his tongue.  Anyway, then he wouldn't bark at all.  But I wanted him to bark when someone came around or to the door.  So next time someone came over and knocked on the door, I barked.  He looked at me funny, and barked too.  After that, he only barked when someone came to the door or something strange was going on.  ETA - or when the chipmunks came up on the back step by the glass sliding door.....both of my dogs hated that.

GSDs are very smart dogs!

Bark when you want him to bark.  He'll figure it out!

I'll try that.  I think my wife is going to look at me funny though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Red Heeler can whoop your pussy shepards ass any day of the week, dont belive me bring it over and throw him in the cage with Trixie

img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/hydroskok/2006_0101Image0006.jpg

mags a lover not a fighter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Awsome dog. If he is going to be trained as a bite dog, I suggest getting a puppy sleeve and start playing with him. Talk to whoever is going to train him first. A puppy sleeve would get him used to the idea of bitting.

No offense TXK9, but don't offer training advice for bite work if your not a trainer. Now that being said, jmt1271if this is something you would be interested in here is link to my page that gives an overview of SCHUTZHUND .
There should be several Schutzhund clubs in your state. It's ALOT of fun to watch a 'spastic' dog full of energy turn into a confident mind blowingly trained dog.

If no... that I suggest NO tug of war. Tug can & often will teach them to 'challange'. This is one of the 1st steps in protection work... along with suspision work.

Here's another good site for info www.germanshepherddog.com/

Hope this helps
David
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#43]
By the way... Nice looking pooch!

If you aren't interseted in Schutzhund, consider dog agility or frizbee dogs. Do a simple Google on either & you'll get a gazillion hits. GSDs excel at all 3.

David

they also excel as couch patotes!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#44]
That's a great looking pup you have. Our German Shepard, Boris, is 105 to 110 pounds. Ours is also a full blood but with the sable colored coat. We had a hip guarantee also and he's never had a hip problem. He does have a little arthritis in his shoulder but not too bad so far.

It took him about three years to really fill out. He's an old man now at 9 years old. However, he still gets around pretty good just not real fast. Still likes to play ball and stuff.

When Boris was a pup I used a tennis ball as a reward when he repeated a behavior, he really loves his tennis ball! I read about that in a German Shepard book and it worked well for us.

They are great dogs and will learn all your habits and be ready serve you always.

Boris is the best dog I've ever owned. He sleeps at the foot of my bed or at the top of the stairs every night.

Have fun with your little buddy. While he's still little take him places and socialize him with other people it will make him a better tempered dog. But don't worry he will still be very protective. Especially when he figures out what a bad-ass dog he really is when he gets older. It takes them a while to figure that out.

Cheers,

Flyer
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/hydroskok/2006_0101Image0006.jpg

mags a lover not a fighter.

Trixie is a lover, lets get em together and see what we come up with
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Beautiful pup man...I love shepards.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#47]
My Shepard, Dakota...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top