Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2001 4:56:25 PM EDT
WTF is this carp?  Everything is green!!  Whoa, wait, it just turned back--DAMN, green again.  This is gonna be a problem.

Anybody encountered this shite?
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you'll be needing a new monitor in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You've got issues with the monitor it sounds.

Could be something as simple as a loose connection to the computer - or a bent pin if you've had the connection off.

There are actually three seperate wires - red, green and blue signals that run from the computer along with a sync signal.
View Quote

I am grossly computer illiterate compared to some of you.  Could you tell me were these magical pins/wires are, and how to fix them (Macintosh Monitor, If it means anything)?
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Turn the computer and monitor off, then unplug the cord that runs from your monitor to the main computer box.  Plug it back in, then fasten the screw fasteners to affix it in place.  If the problem is just a loose connection, this should fix it.  If not, I see shopping in your future...
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My ex-work computer used to do that.  Since it was hooked up to a Linux computer as well as a WinNT computer, all that I had to do was switch to Linux, flip to a new virtual screen, start X11, and voila -- this reset the video card and all was well.

If you can't do that on your machine, try rebooting or power-cycling.

This is if it isn't just a loose cable as others have suggested.

Also, it could be that your monitor is at its life's end, too. . . .
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen this problem before.  Hopefully it's only a loose connection somewhere.  Otherwise you will be buying a new monitor.  I saw this once when one of the electron guns inside went out.  Not cheap to fix.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Put that CRT out of it's misery!

Go LCD.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...Could you tell me were these magical pins/wires are, and how to fix them (Macintosh Monitor, If it means anything)?
View Quote

Stubbs,

Is that an Apple 15" MultiScan (or MultiSync)?

If so it is toast.  These were built by Sony and sold under an Apple brand name.  (probably with your Perfrom 6300 something)
Basically one of the color guns (red green or blue) that project the image is shot.  It will conitnue to function indefinitely unitl you get a new one, thought the green remains.There is not an electronics repair shop that can fix it, parts are no longer available for this model.
I managed an Apple retailer for 3 years.

Any 15" monitor will work as a replacement, but will require a Mac to  VGA adapter.  Any CompUSA can get you a new monitor.  Honestly, if you want to stick with a Mac your better off on a new iMac.  Or any new computer at this point really.

Sorry about the bit of bad luck,

Zaz

Email me if you need anything further
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top