Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2001 1:19:54 PM EDT
Took me only 2 tries to get it right.  What a ton of fun!!!  Sure did blow through a lot of ammo though.  Now I have to replenish my stash.  The rifle sure did get plenty hot as well.  Will there be any harm done to the rifle if I stop shooting it only when it gets too hot to hold?  Should I stop shooting it prior to it getting that hot?  Also, if it gets that hot, will dunking it in water (minus the ammo) hurt the rifle at all? I shoot with a buddy of mine who is a former Marine and I see him often dunk his rifle in the lake to cool it off.    
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
And what, again, is the purpose of this?  Oh, too much ammo I guess.  Next time send it to me and I'll put in thru a target!  

Only half joking.  :-P
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you bumpfiring an AR or an AK ?

I don't think you're gonna help the rifling any by overheating it, but I've bumpfired quite a bit through my AK's and they still shoot like new...
I even melted a set of synthetic handguards, after bumping off a whole 100 round drum...No harm done, just replaced them with bakelite & alumium...

As far as dunking the gun in water when it's hot...
Thats a NO-NO...The quenching of super hot metal in water, hardens it and makes it brittle...  
Also, it could easily bend the barrel...
I just lock my bolt open and stand the gun upright. Heat rises, and creates an updraft, cooling the barrel quicker...(works for me)

Just my $.02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top