Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2001 11:22:53 AM EDT
I want a quality tactical flahlight.  I would like it to be relatively small size, very bright and pretty much indestructible.  I don't want to mount on a rifle or shotgun I want it for hand held use.  I have heard of surefire but have never used or seen one to know anything about them.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Surefire are the very best and brightest. The biggest problem is the sheer number of lights and variations. So many flashlights, so much money. Go to www.uws.com they carry Surefire and have pretty good prices.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
you are describing the Surefire 6Z. it is an excellent flashlight. you'll never monkey with a mag light again. it is small enough to carry in your front pants pocket, and it's bright as hell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a SureFire 6P in the evenings, and keep one handy in the daytime too. They're not cheap, but like markm said, you'll never monkey with a mag light again.
I do keep a couple 3 D-cell mag lights in the truck, but I only use them if I'm trying to conserve power on my sure-fire, like if I'm changing a tire or something that requires prolonged use. CR123 Batteries aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
"tactical flashlight"

I'm sorry, but that just sounds ridiculous.  The word "tactical" is wayyyy over used nowadays.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The Surefire’s are great little flashlights, but the battery costs can be pretty staggering.

While a bit larger and more expensive up front, I’m very fond of the Streamlight Stinger rechargeable.  However, you have to remember keep it charged - if you run out of juice you can’t just swap out batteries like a Surefire.

My solution is to have one of each (plus, of course, a regular Maglite for when the power goes out).
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Surefire for, well...................sure!

I got one and liked it so much that I had to get another.

Yep....lots of $ for two flashlights but they are certainly worth it.

Their intensity is superb and their beam is flawless.

I have the 6p and 6z.

Best out there.

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"tactical flashlight"

I'm sorry, but that just sounds ridiculous.  The word "tactical" is wayyyy over used nowadays.
View Quote
actually the sure fire 6Z is a tactical light. it has rubber spacers specifically designed for low light pistol shooting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought 3 scorpions and am buying some more for Christmas presents, They are a great little flashlight. They will work fine unless you plan to throw them at a concrete wall or have a tank run over them. What the hell do people do with a flash light that is so gruelling. I drop mine, I stepped on mine, I never used one to teardown a brick wall or as a jack handle, or hammer or to put on a horseshoe. I must not be doing things right. I use mine exclusively for  light.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They are a great little flashlight. They will work fine unless you plan to throw them at a concrete wall or have a tank run over them. What the hell do people do with a flash light that is so gruelling. I drop mine, I stepped on mine, I never used one to teardown a brick wall or as a jack handle, or hammer or to put on a horseshoe. I must not be doing things right. I use mine exclusively for  light.
View Quote

Ditto the StreamLight Scorpion. It's a great light. You can sometimes find them for less than $40. This includes a spare bulb and batteries. The spare bulbs are $5 compared to Surefires $25. I've had mine for 4 years and it's still on the original bulb!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Stubbs - I'm looking for a tactical-practical-assault flashlight to go on my Izzy-barrelled Bushy !!
[:D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Surefire 9Z as well as the Surefire Centurion.I like the Centurion best as it fits well in my hand and is a cool green color as well.I like the 9Z's laynard when in the woods,making loss of flashlight less likely.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a Maglight 5D cell in the truck for the same reasons. It's good for prolonged use (cheap batteries) and it makes a good club. I have a 2D as well, but I find it not to be very bright.

Actually, there is truth to the term "tactical flashlight", and not just in terms of smashing some perps head in with it. The tactical Surefires are so bright that they can temporarily disable someone. Have a friend shine an M4 or 12ZM in your eyes and you'll understand.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Surefire's are cool.

I have the 9N and 6P.

Maglights are good for clubbing should the need arise.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Surefire 9N. Relatively small, rechargable, very bright and tough as nails.  Get an extra battery for your patrol bag and the leather holster.  Try [url]www.deptservices.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the advice everyone, helped me out a lot.

stubbs, sorry I don't word things the way you prefer.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#17]
surefires are insanely bright, but if cracking windpipes is your game, 5 cell maglight
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a couple of the Surefire 'hurricane' lamps to go with the Surefire flashlight you buy.  The lamp isn't anything special, but you get 12 batteries with it - cheap.

I find my 6Z too bright for some things as it ruins my sight shining it on something close - you have to cover the lens a bit.  The 6P doesn't have the lanyard, or the handy rubber grommets that make the 6Z so handy.  The 6Z is not much more in price, and you can't add the grommets to the 6P, though you can put a lanyard on.

Also they seem to have made some minor mods to make the light stay on when you want that.  So ask about this before buying, if you want the latest.  The Z2 may be the new version of the 6Z.

Keep in mind that these bulbs get quite hot -  they warn against resting it upright on the lens while it's still on.

I gotta check out the scorpion.

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I find my 6Z too bright for some things as it ruins my sight shining it on something close - you have to cover the lens a bit.
View Quote

I have a red filter attachment that flips down for red to protect your night vision, and flips up for regular white light.  I have seen vendors selling Surefires at gun shows for some really good prices.  The batteries are kind of expensive, but they have a shelf live of 10 years.  When I have to bring out my Surefires, you know there is some serious problems, so you have to ask yourself what is your life worth to you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]
The Surefires are great but the batteries get expensive.

I have been carrying a Streamlight rechargable for Stinger for three years. I am still using the same bulb, and I have only had to change the battery once. They are great. Not only are they prsctically the law enforcement industry standard, but I recently found out that the airplane maintenance guys swear by them as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are going to mount the flashlight on your weapon the Surefire is definetly the way to go, because you probably won't be using it that often and the brightness will give you the edge on an armed assailant.  As far as portability and usefullness, the mini-maglight is much better for a non-weapon-mounted light.  Batteries are cheaper and available at any Kmart, and the light is cheap enough that you won't kick yourself too hard for loosing it.  For a utility light a Maglite in 3-5D cell is great.  The batteries last forever, an hour or more constant-on, are cheap and the light is one hell of a baton.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a surefire 6p, One day at a large gun show here in SE Mich we had a power outage and the place went black, couldn't see a thing. Pull out the surefire and was able to light the whole show area up and keep the customers from getting any funny ideas. Made a real believer out of many that day.
Ron
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice everyone, helped me out a lot.

stubbs, sorry I don't word things the way you prefer.  
View Quote

No prob.

markm- there are also "tactical gloves", "tactical vests", "tactical scopes", "tactical boots", etc, etc.  Just worded that way to get that extra dollar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top