Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2001 10:18:56 AM EDT
I get the same email from [url][email protected][/url], about (5) times a day.  Each email is 825Kb, which fills up my Netscape email account fast.  I opened up this new netscape account just to use as my AR15.com email, so no one but AR15.com members/viewers have access to it.  This is really starting to [b]PISS[/b] me off big time.  

I have replied to them, to not send me anymore emails, but they keep on sending the same one.  The emails are not selling anything, so it isn't commercial.  I do not see the purpose of these emails, other than to aggravate me.  [b]Did I piss some one off here and this is their way of getting even??[/b]

Below is a copy of the email:

[i][b][blue]Subject:   February 2, 2001 (2)
Date:   Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:45:38 -0400
To:   [email protected]
Attachments:   February 2, 2001 (2).zip.lnk, attachment-3
« Previous  |  Next »  

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

[url]February 2, 2001 (2).zip.lnk[/url] Name: February 2, 2001 (2).zip.lnk
Type: application/mixed
Encoding: base64[/blue][/b][/i]

This is getting to the point that I will just delete this account.

OSA

edited to change color of type in email
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Due to the Ink extentsion I would say that the file is a virus.  Could be the new one that is going around.  If your address was in anyone's address book you will get the virus sent to you.  Whatever you do don't download that file just delete it.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If this is true, who here has gotten this same email?  Who do we have in common?  Why am I getting this email so many times?  

I thought it might of been a virus, I just keep deleting it, but as soon as I delete one, another one comes along.  

I know Hotmail has a blocking feature, but can't seem to find it in Netscape Mail.  

OSA
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive had the same problem. Its not the guy whose address it is, but a virus. Just delete it. I received the same one for about three days, and then it stopped. Give it time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#4]
O S A

I've been getting these for the last 3-4 days!!  I just deleated 35 of these f@#$%^g things.  Saw this discribed here last week .

"Katie"

HEY  Katie!!   Shut down your virus machine!!

My wife wants to know who you are too!!  I really had to convince her this was a virus and not to open the attachment!  She thought I just didn't want her to open it !

Tim L.     [):)]       [NI]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, same shit here. Blocked it using Hotmail's blocking system. Before that, I noticed that there were different extensions on the files (.zip.com, .zip.ink, etc). Incidentally, Hotmail's virus scan cleared it so it must be pretty new.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for your input.

The main reason I am mad about this is that this person fills up my email acount and once full to the 5.00MB limit, the rest of my mail isn't put into my email inbox.  I suppose I could just set up a new email account, but really don't want to, because everyone already knowns this one.  

Sorry to seem so harsh in the first post, but I was at ends wit when I posted it.

OSA
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey! That is the sircam virus that is driving everyone crazy! If you opened the attachment then you are spreading it also. If you contact me at [email protected] I can send you a program that will tell you if you are infected and remove it if you are. I got it from one of my babes who is a school teacher and it worked for me! Let me know if I can help.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]
DEFINITELY THE SIRCAM VIRUS!!  Do NOT Open these messages.

A TON of them have been coming through the AR15.com mail system in the past week.  They have been automatically scanned and quarantined by the mail server.  (one of the many benefits of membership here !!)

Here is a message *I* just received from the same idiot:

The Anti-Virus software on ar15.com has reported that you were
sent a virus from [email protected], with the subject "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?February=202=2C=202001=20=282=29?=".

The E-mail containing the virus has been quarantined
to prevent further damage.

Virus Name: : W95/Sircam.worm@mm
Attachment: February 2, 2001 (2).zip.bat

Message ID: <[email protected]>
Number of Recipients: 1
Queue Name: Dae4c266.SMD
Hostname of Sender: Adelphia.net

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I get the same shit. Ever since last night. She/ it emailed me that 30+ times. I emailed it back to her/it 40+ times. I know its not her, but damn that thing is annoying. I also got the same exact email on my aol account fro someone else. Just delete it. I know its trouble.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The bad thing about this virus/worm is that it searches your hard drive looking for e-mail address from your address book, text files and web pages you have in your browser cache.  She probably doesn't even know she's sending out all those e-mails.  The virus/worm doesn't require that you even have an e-mail program.  It basically has e-mail capabilities built-in.

Have you tried e-mailing her back telling her to get that damn virus off her system?  That's the only way they will stop.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I got 4 suspect email files:

233k Bill Clinton.doc.com
281k pic017.zip.pif
214k THE GLORK FILES.doc.pif
211k June 4.doc.pif
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got 4 suspect email files:

233k Bill Clinton.doc.com
281k pic017.zip.pif
214k THE GLORK FILES.doc.pif
211k June 4.doc.pif
View Quote

You are a member now....   Start using your damn AR15.com e-mail account you goofball!

You will (hopefully  [:\] ) be protected from this crap.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I've received the same email, even though my email is not available on this board.  

Seems to me that it might be some anti-gun jackoff getting his kicks by screwing with us.

Or maybe I should take off my aluminum beanie and stop the conspiracy theories.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#14]
According to SARC, the Sircam worm actually locates the e-mail addresses that it targets directly from the infected machine's internet cache.  ("temporary internet files")

Pretty nasty stuff!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Below is a copy of the email:

[i][b][blue]Subject:   February 2, 2001 (2)
Date:   Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:45:38 -0400
To:   [email protected]
Attachments:   February 2, 2001 (2).zip.lnk, attachment-3
« Previous  |  Next »  

Hi! How are you?

See you later. Thanks

[url]February 2, 2001 (2).zip.lnk[/url] Name: February 2, 2001 (2).zip.lnk
Type: application/mixed
Encoding: base64[/blue][/b][/i]

View Quote

If you get a download that sayes (I NEED YOUR ADVICE) Do not open it it is a virus. I have been getting it about 60 times a day no shit. This will screw up your computer bad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is some contact info you might be able to use:

Registrant:
Adelphia Communications Corp. (ADELPHIA2-DOM)
  Main at Water
  Coudersport, PA 16915
  US

Domain Name: ADELPHIA.NET

Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
     Scott, Joelle  (JSE388)  [email protected]
     Adelphia Business Solutions
     712 North Main Street
     Coudersport, PA 16915
     888-512-5111 (FAX) 814-274-7370
  Technical Contact:
     Hostmaster, Adelphia  (HA143-ORG)  [email protected]
     Adelphia Communications Corp.
     Main at Water Street
     Coudersport, PA 16915
     US
     888-512-5111
     Fax- 814-274-0780

Record last updated on 13-Sep-2000.
  Record expires on 24-Apr-2009.
  Record created on 23-Apr-1996.
  Database last updated on 30-Jul-2001 02:05:00 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.ADELPHIA.NET 64.8.29.73
  NS2.ADELPHIA.NET 64.8.29.105
  NS3.ADELPHIA.NET 64.8.1.246
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
From [url]http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/sircam/default.asp?cid=2360[/url]

W32/SirCam@MM Help Center

DESCRIPTION - What virus is this?

This is a HIGH RISK virus that is spread to email recipients found in the Windows Address Book and addresses found in cached files. The infected email can come from addresses that you recognize. Attached is a file with two different extensions. The file name itself varies.
The email message can appear as follows:
Subject: [filename (random)]
Body: Hi! How are you?
or I hope you can help me with this file that I send
or I hope you like the file that I sendo you
or This is the file with the information that you ask for
See you later. Thanks  

Sound familiar????????
Nuckles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top