BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2001 5:36:53 PM EDT
Just picked up a couple of bandoleer kits from a gun show.  Each containing:

14 stripper clips
7 cardboard silencers
1 cotton canvas 7 pouch bandoleer "Nov 1974"
1 stripper clip guide

Any history or significance behind these? Are they true USGI surplus or just a modern marketing gimmick?
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If that came packed in a clear plastic bag all neatly folded then I saw the same thing at the last gun show, about 2 weeks ago.

It caught my attention because I have never seen
the package before. Looked brand new.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like they've been put together in the bags like that for resale. Never seen 'em like that in the field, although that don't make it impossible but I just never seen it.
We always got 'em full and then made 'em empty, usually then just rolling the bandoleer up and tying it with the strap. I still find it hard to believe how much the "kits" sell for considering how many I've tossed in the past.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like they've been put together in the bags like that for resale. Never seen 'em like that in the field, although that don't make it impossible but I just never seen it.
We always got 'em full and then made 'em empty, usually then just rolling the bandoleer up and tying it with the strap. I still find it hard to believe how much the "kits" sell for considering how many I've tossed in the past.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget the black safety pin to keep the bandoleer on your shoulder. Not authentic without it!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, I've been had!  Mine came with a brass safety pin!
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 5:05:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The brass safety pin is to mark which pocket on the bandoleer holds the stripper clip guild.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know where I can get some of these bandoleer kits, preferably online?
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The brass safety pin is to mark which pocket on the bandoleer holds the stripper clip guild.

Kharn
View Quote

Really?  I've wondered about the old "what the heck is the safety pin for?" question.  Now you've given a third answer (pin the guide, shorten the strap, mark the guide's location).  ARGGHH!

Chuck Rupe has been selling them this way for a while now, and has the best prices and excellent service.  His wife irons the cotton bandoleers, apparently.  Nice people!

He can be reached at [email][email protected][/email] - has a website but I can't access it right now...
Link Posted: 2/22/2001 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Now here is the silly question of the day.  The cardboard silencer.  Are we talking a silencer for a rifle, or is it for silencing your movements, or what?  I am former Navy, so we did not get to play with such things much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top