Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2001 8:57:53 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me about the firearms laws in South Carolina?  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
CCW is legal, and the laws are being amended to INCREASE the number of places firearms can be carried, including churches.

No permits required for private party firearms purchases, handgun or long gun.

Class III is coming!!!!!!! A bill to legalize is on teh govs desk. He is expected to sign it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Garand are you near Charleston?

I have been to Charleston to visit our office it seemed to be a fun city. I am still not sure if I want to live there.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Jim Beam -

I live in spartanburg - upstate SC.

But I never need an excuse to go to Charleston. great place.

It DOES get hot in the summer, tho.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#5]
While I hope Garandman is right about being able to carry more places and about Class III (I want to fire an auto!!) coming to SC, I'm not convinced it's going to happen.  I work with a bunch of former LEO's and LEO-wannabe's.  They're very rabid anti-gun.  Also, my boss takes-up collections for HCI, et al.  I don't give, and I get a hard time about it.  I usually hear about gun shows from them, because they're talking about how to disrupt them.  I haven't heard a peep out of them about Class III, so maybe, they gun grabbers haven't caught on to it yet.  Maybe, there's hope.

About CCW (or CWP as they call it here):  South Carolina is a shall issue state by law, but the state police (SLED) intentionally doesn't issue permits. I've been waiting on mine since April. They won't even honor me with a denial, so I have something to appeal. They just take (steal) the $50, and never do their legally required job. They won't take the payment as a check or credit. I guess that's there's no paper trail for the money. Out of a group of people I took a CCW class with, 9 of us traded e-mail addresses. So, far only one of us has been granted a permit. The one guy only got a permit, because he worked for the coroner's office in Columbia. At least the CCW instructor was honest. He gave us a chance before the class started to get our deposit back after he admitted that the we probably wouldn't be able to get the permit. Because I don't know any judges, politicians, high-level LEO's, etc., it doesn't look like I will ever be granted a permit.  Good luck, unless you know someone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
sounds alittle like NY
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to dispute what ZOOM said but....that's NOT what I'm hearing from GrassRoots South Carolina, who are the people LEADING the charge on SC gun legislation.

Check it out here at [url]www.scfirearms.org[/url]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
NP disagreeing with me Garandman.  Again, I hope you're right.  I just think Grass Roots puts a little too much of a positive spin on the changes they think they can influence in order to help raise money.  Before the last time I gave them money, they (in person, it was at a show) were bragging about how Condon had personally told them that concealed carry would soon be allowed in nice restaurants.  Not too long after, he publicly stated the exact opposite.  While I appreciated their efforts, I felt a little mislead.

BTW, know of any good gun stores or smiths around here in Spartanburg?  The only one I've found so far is PSP in Boiling Springs.  They actually had a couple of AR lower receivers in stock, but they wanted $350!  I'm introducing at least one new person a week to shooting (usually by letting them borrow a rifle and giving them ammo, I work 7 days per week), so I need someone to recommend.  At least we're getting a Dick's Sporting Goods.  That helps for shotguns, but you suggest anywhere to buy handguns locally?
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
garandman, what is SC law on a pistol in the car without a license/permit?  I have been told that you can have a loaded pistol in the glove box, but I don't know for sure.  I have a GA carry license and every time I cross the Talmadge Bridge, I have to take it out of the holster.  I have been putting it in the trunk because I am not sure of SC law and I run a good chance of getting pulled over because some of those roads going towards Hilton Head are very enticing.

Jim Beam, as for your question, I was stationed at the Navy Base in Charleston for 14 months many moons ago.  I really liked it and have been back to visit several times.  The ladies there have always been real friendly.  Also, Savannah is about 1.5-2 hours away.  Come on down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not Garandman, but I can probably answer your question.  I did get a 50 out of 50 on my CWP written test. :)  In SC, it is legal to have a loaded handgun in your closed (very important, it has to be closed) console or glove compartment.  So, no need to unload it and put it in the trunk, but you do need to take it out of the holster and put it in the console/glove compartment.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I just renewed my CCW as required every 4 years.  I had one of the original paper issued permits, now they look like a drivers license or ID card with a blue stripe across the top.  The driver licenses have a red stripe.  I had no trouble getting my original or the renewal.  I sent my renewal packet with a MO order for $50.00 and had my new permit about 3 weeks later.  This was June of this year and I received my new CCW about 2 weeks ago.  Spartanburg county has a public range in the Camp Croft park, you shoot through drainage culverts placed in front of the benches. Kinda throws the noise back at you but it is free.  The park ranger out there runs a pretty tight operation.  Impossible to chrono loads though with the culverts in the way.  

Zoom   ...  do you mean PSS (Personal Security Systems) in Boiling springs on #9?  Ernie runs that shop and will work with you on price if you have bought from him before.  He also exhibits at most of the local gunshows.  I also like Jackson's guns in Simpsonville, he also exhibits and has decent prices.  Greer Gun and Pawn shop on Wade Hampton looks like a dive but they have some great prices and a good selection of pawned firearms.  I picked up a used Ruger 10/22 for $90.00 there.  I just wanted the receiver as I am working on a 10/22 project.  The stock was dinged up but the action was clean and crisp.  Upstate SC is a very happening area, Spartanburg county has the highest foreign investment per Capitia in the nation.  Lots of foreign companies, Including BMW. Greenville County school system kinda sucks as they want to keep raising taxes to finance a $750 million school reconstruction project.

all the above is FWIW, your mileage may vary.

-HD
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the response.  I've stopped by Greer Gun & Pawn, literally, over a dozen times, but I've never happened to be there when they were open.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they have.

Yes, that's the PSS I was talking about.  I've been by there three times so far, but I couldn't get them to show me or my friend any guns.  He ended-up buying a Glock at Jack Son's Guns.  Aside, I helped my friend pick-out the handgun and I drove him all over this half of the state, and he still hasn't let me shoot it.  Some people...

I had a couple of people e-mail me other recommendations.  I'm posting them here to share the info.  After all, that's what the site is about.  One suggested Hilltop Pawn on Asheville Highway for transfers.  They only charge $12 for each transfor.  So, if you're buying, for example, 4 lower Bushmaster receivers or 5 Mosin's, they only charge a single $12.  Also, I had two recommendations for a pawn shop on 221 aka Chesnee Highway just south of I85.  I went by, and they have quite a few (30+) mil surplus rifles.  I didn't see a single Mauser, but I did see many military rifles I didn't recognize.  One e-mail suggested that the prices at that shop are just suggestions, and they're really willing to work with you on the price if you pay cash.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]
GARANDMAN, I also live in "Fabulous Metropolitan Spartanburg!" Drop me a line, and I'll see if we can set up something with my friend the cop down in Greenwood (he's a member of a pretty good private range). Hell, we can go 300yd rifle, plus Pistol, skeet, all kinds of stuff. And rapid fire is not a problem! ZOOM, try "Dunbars" on Union st. The guy knows his sh*t.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top