Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
All these haters are jealous because they are not one of the few and the proud.

Semper Fi

You got that right

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Naval Infantry is so Hooah! Every Marine is a Rifleman, (snicker), ya you dont have poges too. You guys are funny, but we still like you, even though you have over-inflated egos.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
High and tight haircuts existed well before the Army Rangers.

The Ranger regiment of today were actually formed at the end of Vietnam to quote Creighton Abrams to "out Marine, the Marines"

The first ranger battalion was activated in 1942 durring wwII. The 75th ranger regiment was very active durring the veitnam war. What happened after the veitnam war was the intergration of rangers into other non ranger infantry units. And the birth of a full time ranger training program .  
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch a Marine put his cover on, he does it with a twisting motion

Marines can also called "Sea Going Bellhops"  
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was told that the term Jarhead originated in the Corps back in the days when mules were still used. As anyone who has ever watched an old western movie knows, mules were often referred to as Jughead. The oldtimers insisted that Marines also referred to their mules as Jughead and/or Jarhead. Over time, certain stubborn or hard to deal with Marines were also called Jarheads.

Jarhead and jughead eventually merged to become slang synonyms for marine. Jughead was originally used to refer to members of a machine-gun company in WWI. Before WWII JARHEADS was already in widespread use.

Dictionaries and military history websites seem to give varying explanations for the origin of JARHEAD.

A U.S. Marine. Perhaps from the shape of the hat the Marines once wore. (American Heritage Dictionary of English)

A slang term used by sailors as early as World War II to refer to members of the Marine Corps, drawing the term from the resemblance of the Marine dress blues uniform, with its high collar, to a Mason jar which at the time was made from blue glass. (military history website)

That's all I got to say 'bout that.

USMC 1989-1997

That's interesting.
I always thought it stood for, "Just Another RifleHead".
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Ranger regiment of today were actually formed at the end of Vietnam to quote Creighton Abrams to "out Marine, the Marines"

Rangers were there in WWII because they lead the way, all the way!
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#7]
A Korean war vet told me that they selected Marines by lining up draftees at the edge of a forest. They told them to run. Whoever bounced off the trees was sent to USMC.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
can;t wait till movie JARHEAD comes out in November..
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sailors would give head to shipboard Marines and spit the ejaculate into a jar to later put on their corn flakes. This act of satisfaction at sea was called "Jar Head", as were the Marines for whom sailors performed the service. The tradition carries on to this very day.

Nah man you got it all wrong.   We bring Marines on ships because sheep would be too obvious.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
U
Suck
My
Cock

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Boy , Marine envy is strong on this thread
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was told that the term Jarhead originated in the Corps back in the days when mules were still used. As anyone who has ever watched an old western movie knows, mules were often referred to as Jughead. The oldtimers insisted that Marines also referred to their mules as Jughead and/or Jarhead. Over time, certain stubborn or hard to deal with Marines were also called Jarheads.

Jarhead and jughead eventually merged to become slang synonyms for marine. Jughead was originally used to refer to members of a machine-gun company in WWI. Before WWII JARHEADS was already in widespread use.

Dictionaries and military history websites seem to give varying explanations for the origin of JARHEAD.

A U.S. Marine. Perhaps from the shape of the hat the Marines once wore. (American Heritage Dictionary of English)

A slang term used by sailors as early as World War II to refer to members of the Marine Corps, drawing the term from the resemblance of the Marine dress blues uniform, with its high collar, to a Mason jar which at the time was made from blue glass. (military history website)

That's all I got to say 'bout that.

USMC 1989-1997

That's what I heard from my recruiter when I tried to join the corps.  Damn bad knee
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There were rangers on Guadalcanal, wake and at Pearl?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The Rangers of WWII and Korea obviously proceeded the Ranger of VN and later, but Abrams reactivated them in Vietnam for two reasons 1)Because of a scandal arising out of the SF and assassination 2) as he stated it himself for a force "that would out Marine the Marines."
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#15]
U
Suckers
Miss
Christmas
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Same place as leatherneck, the leather collars that used to be on some of their uniforms. Leather seals were used to seal jars at one time. Hence jarhead.

We used to put a sign up over the urinals when we expected marines to be around. Attention, Marines. Do not eat the big white cookie.

Why does everyone think Marines are dumb??  We all know the white thing is a BREATHMINT...not a cookie!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Watch a Marine put his cover on, he does it with a twisting motion

Marines can also called "Sea Going Bellhops"  

Yeah, you could do that, but you'd get a boot in the ass about .5 seconds later.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was always under the belief that high and tight haircuts were a result of Army Pathfinders who cut their hair like Mohawk Indians (and put on war paint) before jumping into Normandy on D-Day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Jarhead comes from the shape of the cover (hats to civvies)..
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is one I read today.

Another legend says that during World War II the Mason Jar Company stopped making jars and made the helmets for Marines.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

Ha ha ha ha ha,thats a good one! Hey, I just quoted the Raven. Who'd a thunk it?

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Y'all must be A.R.M.Y.

Aint
Ready for the
Marine Corp
Yet

Uncle
Sam's
Misguided
Children

Go Coast Guard!!!

Coastie, That's:

Uncle
Sams
Murderous
Children                    
                                       Semper Fi,                                U.S.M.C. 72'-80'
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Same place as leatherneck, the leather collars that used to be on some of their uniforms. Leather seals were used to seal jars at one time. Hence jarhead.

We used to put a sign up over the urinals when we expected marines to be around. Attention, Marines. Do not eat the big white cookie.

Why does everyone think Marines are dumb??  We all know the white thing is a BREATHMINT...not a cookie!!

We tried using the word Mint but they kept picking them up and smelling to see what flavor they were.

The leatherneck, jar seal  reference is correct. I remember this from a book my Father had which explained customs and terms of the Navy and Marine services. Wish I still had it. When my brothers and I were kids we used to say they were called jarheads because they had to screw their hats (covers, so you Marines can keep up) on to their square heads.

Anyone know why empty bottles are referred to as "dead marines."
Riding a dead horse?
Tars?

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, if we could get all the testosterone-dripping soldiers and marines under control for a moment...

NAVY - Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

All your chest-beating and head-shaving can continue now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We tried using the word Mint but they kept picking them up and smelling to see what flavor they were.

The leatherneck, jar seal  reference is correct. I remember this from a book my Father had which explained customs and terms of the Navy and Marine services. Wish I still had it. When my brothers and I were kids we used to say they were called jarheads because they had to screw their hats (covers, so you Marines can keep up) on to their square heads.

Riding a dead horse?
Tars?

The humerous thing is the Marine Corps has a higher GT requirement for entry than either the Navy or Army.  The Air Force actually is the only service that has higher a lower floor for entry than the Marines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Naval Infantry is so Hooah! Every Marine is a Rifleman, (snicker), ya you dont have poges too. You guys are funny, but we still like you, even though you have over-inflated egos.

I was a pogue and I still shot my share of people, and probably your share too, in Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]
it;s few and proud!
once a marine,always marine..USMC Semper Fi..0351
3/1 Kilo Co Wpn Plt 95-99
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riding a dead horse?
Tars?

The humerous thing is the Marine Corps has a higher GT requirement for entry than either the Navy or Army.  The Air Force actually is the only service that has higher a lower floor for entry than the Marines.

Times have changed dramatically. I assure you  it did NOT used to be that way. 25 years ago there weren't computers in the field, no night vision goggles, etc. Stupid people can't fight worth a damn in today's Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
where does name JARHEAD come from???  and why US MARINES being called JARHEAD??

I think it means "empty from the neck up" but I could be wrong.

Damn I hate when someone says that!!! Wait a minute,what did you just say???
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riding a dead horse?
Tars?

Times have changed dramatically. I assure you  it did NOT used to be that way. 25 years ago there weren't computers in the field, no night vision goggles, etc. Stupid people can't fight worth a damn in today's Marine Corps.

XD,

I enlisted close to 20 years ago now, even back than the Marines had a higher GT requirement.  True, the only MOS they could get were corrections, cook or driver, but the bottom GT score for us was 10 points higher than the bottom for the Army and the Navy.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]
semper fi
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sailors would give head to shipboard Marines and spit the ejaculate into a jar to later put on their corn flakes. This act of satisfaction at sea was called "Jar Head", as were the Marines for whom sailors performed the service. The tradition carries on to this very day.

I believe this to be very funny - oh GAWD! I'll still laughing, now crying.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#33]
OK, what's a POGE?
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#34]
You guys are all really funny.   Here is a quote I pasted from http://www.mca-marines.org/Leatherneck/lingo.htm#j

"jarhead: Records from Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps cite references that state, "Jarhead is probably parallel to, or derived from, jug head." Leatherneck magazine in 1933 cited Army soldiers as being called jarheads. However, according to limited information, the term as it applies to Marines is traced to the Navy in WW II. Sailors referred to Marines, drawing from the resemblance of the Marine dress blue uniform, with its high collar, to a Mason jar. "

Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

BT
AR
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

u should join the NAVY..so u can suck Marines xxxx!! and put the ejaculation in the jar..so u can give the jar to ur mama for x-mas!!......she would love it!..u r FAG! telling the BS story/joke

Lighten up Francis!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

u should join the NAVY..so u can suck Marines xxxx!! and put the ejaculation in the jar..so u can give the jar to ur mama for x-mas!!......she would love it!..u r FAG! telling the BS story/joke

Holy Crap!  That reply is even funnier than Ludwigs post!

Edit.  it reads like it was written by some Nigerain 419er!
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard lots of gross, disgusting stuff on here, but that is by far the worst. . .

Wow...stick around a few years and that'll look like a walk in the park.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Not for Marine outfits they don't.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#39]
U
Signed the
Motherfuc#ing
Contract
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
[

I was wondering when I was going to a see a reference to ebonics in this thread.

You guys are slippin'.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hahaha that's pretty fricken funny right there...
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

I was wondering when I was going to a see a reference to ebonics in this thread.

You guys are slippin'.

Ebonics   What are you talking about?  Have you ever seen a Nigerian 419 scam email?    The grammar and spelling are atrocious.  Nothing to do with ebonics here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
OK, what's a POGE?

What he meant was pogue. It is a derogatory term for admin and other rear area personnel.

Being a clerk in different services means different things.

In the Army, clerks stay in safe zones, mostly sitting around screwing off since there isn't enough paperwork in a battalion to keep you busy 12 hours a day, seven days a week.

In the Marine Corps, every body is needed, and being a clerk in a deployed unit means that you are getting on a truck and rolling with everyone else. Nobody needs TAD orders in the middle of Iraq, but every convoy could use an extra gun.

A common misconception is that all clerks are lazy and that none ever fight. This may me true in the Army, but not in the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, what's a POGE?

What he meant was pogue. It is a derogatory term for admin and other rear area personnel.

In the Army, clerks stay in safe zones, mostly sitting around screwing off since there isn't enough paperwork in a battalion to keep you busy 12 hours a day, seven days a week.

In the Marine Corps, every body is needed, and being a clerk in a deployed unit means that you are getting on a truck and rolling with everyone else. Nobody needs TAD orders in the middle of Iraq, but every convoy could use an extra gun.

A common misconception is that all clerks are lazy and that none ever fight. This may me true in the Army, but not in the Marine Corps.

Got it - thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, what's a POGE?

Got it - thanks.

i don;t think so..all pogue are same. army or marines
true marines are infantryman!!

semper fi....0351

Link Posted: 11/4/2005 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Joker581 ? If you failed to understand my post I was kidding Relax. By the by questioning anothers service, when you dont know what I have done, is rather stupid. and your still a poge(kidding see, take a breath jarhead).
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#47]
They were originally called Tar heals because they coated thier long pony tails with tar(to absorb the cutting effects of long swords) then they adopted high leather collars to do the same!

So leathernecks was a real chance of surviving a rearward attack while fighting a head on onslaught!!!

They are Marines because of thier marinior ship storming besearker actions!  Hell the Marines are a direct linkage to the vikings!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Joker581 ? If you failed to understand my post I was kidding Relax. By the by questioning anothers service, when you dont know what I have done, is rather stupid. and your still a poge(kidding see, take a breath jarhead).

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#49]
saw the Movie JARHEAD..this wkend...movie was awful..no fighting action..just boring story
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Funny in a sick kind of way.....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top