Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2001 6:30:20 PM EDT
There was a guy at a gunshow that had these rifles for sale. He had about 5 CETME 308's and 1 Imbel L1A1 308. Are these pretty good guns? I believe the CETME rifle is made in Spain and is kinda like the FAL G3. Could someone tell me about these rifles. Are they worth $500 each?? Are they standard or metric? Which is better? Can you find alot of replacement parts for these guns? Are mags easy to find?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Imbel l1a1's are put together by century with a mix of inch & metric parts. they are nice cheap shooters but make sure you check the gas piston as many come bent. mags for metric cut recievers are cheaper then inch cut.

cetme are a 50/50 crap shoot too. find one with a reciever made by special weapons as the one made with hesse reciever are known to have problems. also pull back on the charging handle several times as some barrels are out of time and the charging handle either jams up or the bolt doesn't fully seat it's self.

as far as mags there are millions out there. metric fal mags will run you from $5 to $12 a piece
and cetme mags are running from $9 to $20 a piece.

bottom line is check the rifle out real good before you buy & you'll walk away with a great shooter for under $500
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advise guys. So where can I find a good metric FAL rifle kit? Where can I find recievers? Who makes the best ones for a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Nighthawk, that's a whole lot of questions. Try this site:

[url]www.fnfal.com[/url]

Here's a brief rundown of available upper receivers:

[b]Imported[/b]

IMBEL type III available in both metric and inch patterns
$220 - $240 range  Quality receiver to build on

[b]Domestic[/b]

DSA type I and II metric available in carbon steel or stainless
$328 current price via a group buy on the FAL forum (expires 7/31/2001). Very well made.

Entreprise Arms type I and III also recently introduced an alloy version.
$200 for the type III carbon steel version. Many people have had success builds and customer service is very good.

Federal Arms type I and III
$250 w/ejector block, no build reviews

DPMS type I or III?
~$200  Early ones had some problems but DPMS assured potential customers that they would work out the bugs. Still kind of in a beta stage.

Olympic Arms T-48 type I
MSRP $299  Early purchasers complained of out of spec details (early production run woes?).

Hesse Arms type III
$129 group purchase on the FAL site. Hit or miss with this one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I should of bought a L1A1 instead of the AR10.  I picked up (held, not bought.......yet) a L1A1 on an Imbel receiver at a gun shop.  The rifle seems to have a better balance than my AR10.  The L1A1 seems to cost half as much as my AR10 did.  For what it costs me for (1) AR10 20rnd magazine, I can get almost 10 metric magazines for the L1A1.  

I like my AR15's, but the AR10 just hasn't satified me.  

OSA
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
OSA:  You dare not let Armalite hear such blasphemous speech, they might take you for a plant.

FAL is the best.  From what I've heard and seen from casual shooting on the range the DSA is a good weapon.  That group purchase deal looks excellent.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up a FAL about a month ago...
..."gear-logo" IMBEL reciever
This gun KICKS ASS !

VERY reliable gun...
Pretty accurate too...

My buddies at the range used to love shooting my AR's and AK's, until I showed up with the FAL...

Now they wait in line to shoot it...
Seems I never bring enough ammo for it either...
Last weekend I brought 9 loaded 20 round mags with me, and I only got to shoot 3 of them...
Guess I'm too nice of a guy sometimes...
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Century Arms Cetme and love it! The more I shoot this rifle the best it gets. The only thing I don't like about the Cetme/G3/HK91 design is how hard it is to clean. Buy one and you will fall in love.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, my CETME kicks ass too...fun as hell to shoot. The price is dropping on them too. I bought mine for $550 and I believe I saw 'em advertised somewhere in Shotgun News for just under $400 now. At that price a MUST BUY.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Just found the ad...SOG INTERNATIONAL INC.

1-800-944-GUNS has CETME's listed at $395 with two magazines.

Now go get one......!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top