Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2001 2:35:13 PM EDT
Does anyone know what kind of weapons the robbers used in the Norco bank robbery fiasco (May of 1980)? These guys fired more rounds at the police than were fired at the 1997 North Hollywood fiasco. They even forced down the San Bernardino sheriff's helicopter. Pursuit ended in Lytle creek with the death of a deputy.
Tried to find info via various search engines, but no luck.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My recollection is H&K .308's.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
They had a whole bunch of shit.  Mostly HK91s like 199 said, but they also had a bunch of other stuff.  Scoped bolt action rifles, shotguns with blank rounds for launching homemade rifle grenades, you name it.  I seem to recall something about a getaway tunnel connecting two of their houses that were a block or so apart.  I don't think they actually used anything but the HK91s, but it's been a while.  They destroyed several cruisers, shot down a helicopter, killed one deputy, wounded several others and really made a mess of things.  Their plan was to hide up in the hills until things quited down but the pursuit was too close and they had to abandon their supplies.  They finally surrendered after a few cold, hungry nights.

Interesting example of (bad) luck:  the getaway driver was killed after being hit by a single pellet of buckshot from a police shotgun.  That one pellet hit him just behind the left ear and killed him instantly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, [url]http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=norco+bank+robbery[/url] returns 4 pages of results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top