Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2001 12:23:44 PM EDT
[-!-!-] Let's discuss the media. They are swarming around Earnhardts family and friends, just like vultures trying to make money off of their tragedy. They always do. Let's take the boys from Dartmouth, Yes, this is newsworthy. So the media preys on people just like the dead carrion of vultures. Next week, the media hopes that their will be another tragic accident that they can feed off of. They play on peoples emotions and their wallets. They chase ambulances, natural disasters, anything they feel might be newsworthy. Thank God the boys up in Dartmouth used a knife instead of a gun. Hold the press though, now they might try to outlaw knives as well. I just can't stand vultures that make a living off other peoples sadness and tragedy. They make me sick!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I hate to say it, but the general public is what caused this type of behavior.  [:(]

I can still remember when my mother would turn on the news, and there were more happy/fun/funny stories than violence related ones.

The media is only feeding the frenzy that the general populace wants.  It's all about rating points, and nothing more.

It's hard to really HONESTLY say who is at fault here, but I would have to point the finger at you average american.  

Case in Point:  A web site that hits your pager when there is a high speed pursuit on television.

That is not really something that the media invented, but a citizen produced.

Regards...
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Your exactly right!
thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of it is consumer fueled. If people would start turning the liberal stuff off we would be much better off. Bunch of Commies!!
Lynn
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
"....the people are a mob...."
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
i turned off the tv after columbine! (except for the o'reiley factor) and some of my prime whine soaps.
spend most of my off time reading or web surfing
my names jim and i'm a webaholic
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The news media only reports the outrageous because that's what seems to get people out of their stupor, and say "oh look at that!" The Homer Simpson syndrome.  The more outrageous the better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you say 'soap opras'.......

Lets see....Survivor, Temptation Island..... some talk shows.... the "new" XFL (& WWF wrestling).

People love this stuff.  It's all about ratings.  Who'll get the highest views that day so that sponsors will buy ad time so you see the ads for Tampax, Doritos, or what ever.

Its just a wast of time.  Rather be reloading...
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Good points. The people these days are mostly oxygen thieves. The great thing about the web is you can be informed, entertained, and you control what you see, not some bubble headed p.c. air bandit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top