Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2001 11:24:04 AM EDT
Why do some ranges restrict FMJ rifle ammo?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Name one!
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's three, Quail Creek, Winchester and Backwoods. All located in North Texas.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It has been my experience that only indoor ranges will restrict the use of FMJ.  This is because it tears up material on the wall behind the targets and might even penetrate.

Sounds like b.s. excuse to me though...
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Copper FMJ shouldn't be a problem

Some ranges here prevent steel jacket or steel core during fire seasons.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Call them and ask. I'd be interested in the answer as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's three, Quail Creek, Winchester and Backwoods. All located in North Texas.
View Quote

How do they define FMJ and what are their reasons? Would Winchester 30.06 Black Talon
be considered FMJ. Do they check your ammo?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quail Creek's nice, especially mid-week.  There's a very good group to shoot skeet with first thing Sundays.  Owner reported no fmj, steel or otherwise, after (he says) some neighbor(s) complained as to low flying bullets. The story changes a little from time to time.

Winchester (if it's the one at NW Highway & Royal Lane) used to prohibit ar's among other stuff.  Screw 'em.

Never been to Backwoods.

hanko
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I could see it as a good way for them to keep down the rapid fire.  For the AR, and such, FMJ is the cheap way to shoot.  getting sp's and such, is a lot more $$$.  More $$$, less a person going to shoot.
Also, FMJ is more likely to bounce??  
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The San Leandro pistol & Rifle club prohibits the use of FMJ on the rifle range, They say it is because they are located close to the oakland airport and that a plane could be hit by a bullet and they do check your bullets first. You should see what they do when they catch someone shooting FMJ, not pretty. BTW they do allow FMJ on the indoor pistol range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top