Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2001 1:08:01 PM EDT
Will a bullet coated with teflon go through a vest?  An example is in Ronin when he pulls the bullet out and says it was coated with teflon.

It seems to me it wouldn't matter what was on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No, teflon would make no difference.

Ive heard the explination regarding teflon coated armor piercing bullets was simply for barrel protection. The bullet was supposedly made of a very hard metal to prevent mushrooming upon contact which helped it penetrate the vest. Because of the hard metal that was used the bullets were coated with teflon to allow it to "slide" down the barrel easier without causing as much wear as a non-coated bullet.

Im not completely sure the above story is true, but it does seem to make sense. However, I can tell you without a doubt that there is no coating that can be applied to a bullet that will allow it to penetrate a vest. Its just a bunch of Hollywood BS.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
hollywood and liberal BS
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the point in the movie where I go "DAMN HOLLYWOOD!" every time I see it. See also the Teflon coated cop killer bullets in Lethal Weapon movie( I forget which crappy one.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the majority of your typical hunting caliber rifle rounds will go through a vest with or without teflon coating.

Unless the vest has steel or ceramic trama plates, I think you're gonna get hurt bad if you get shot with a .223 or up.

Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The KTW bullet (the original "cop killer", ironically designed with the input of a cop) was teflon coated because it helped the bullet penetrate windsheilds at an oblique angle, rather than just bouncing off (apparently a problem for .38 and 9mm rounds).  While that bullet could also penetrate ballistic armor, I don't think the coating was the reason for it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW they punch 'cleaner' holes in thick paper than FMJ or lead SWC...
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It was in lethal weapon 3...  the badguy shoots through a bulldozer blade and into a newbie cop (also through the vest he's wearing)! Liberal paranoia at it's best.

But I had to throw up the BS flag earlier in the movie when Danny Glover and Mel Gibson are on the range and Mel rapid fires a smiley face on a target at at least 25 yards. Hollywood is stupid, and it shows.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Heard the same thing Ponyboy posted, from former military local tavern owner.

As for "Cop Killer" bullets, think it was an Ayoob article that claims, no cops were ever killed by them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Money talks---Bullshit walks......but in hollywood, bullshit=money.......same as the berreta 92`s that fire about 55 rounds before the dude finally gets around to replacing that magazine.......best part is, MOST OF US WATCH IT!!!!!.........[spank]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, teflon would make no difference.

Ive heard the explination regarding teflon coated armor piercing bullets was simply for barrel protection.
View Quote

That is correct.

My favourite is in Harley Davidson & Marlboro Man where the badguys where "teflon coats." Talk about [b]BS[/b]!
Those would be great at a BBQ though. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]
All you guys are correct about the teflon coated bullet, but I have my $.02 to add:

The truth is, the teflon-coated bullets were actually marginally less effective at penetrating kevlar vests than uncoated rounds. As stated above, the teflon is for "gripping" windshields so the bullet penetrates instead of ricocheting, and protecting the barrel of the gun.

They weren't designed to penetrate vests, and no one but the police had them.  A classic case of media hysteria and misinformation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
also rhino bullets WERE NEVER REAL!

sorry for bad spelling
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But I had to throw up the BS flag earlier in the movie when Danny Glover and Mel Gibson are on the range and Mel rapid fires a smiley face on a target at at least 25 yards. Hollywood is stupid, and it shows.
View Quote
Did you notice that he flinched like an SOB every time he pulled the trigger?  He'd be lucky to put the rounds on paper doing that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Liberty Stick:
Heard the same thing Ponyboy posted, from former military local tavern owner.

As for "Cop Killer" bullets, think it was an Ayoob article that claims, no cops were ever killed by them.
View Quote
To my knowledge there was ONE (1) cop killed with a KTW.  He was off duty and beating up his girlfriend, who happened to get to his service pistol and shot him with it.  He was not wearing a vest at the time, and she was not charged (self-defense).
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To my knowledge there was ONE (1) cop killed with a KTW.  He was off duty and beating up his girlfriend, who happened to get to his service pistol and shot him with it.  He was not wearing a vest at the time, and she was not charged (self-defense).
View Quote
Yeah, I've read that too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

FYI - The original smiley face target used with Mel's autograph, and the vest that was used in the movie is now hanging on the the lobby wall at the Santa Anita Firing Range, Monrovia, Calif.(10 miles east of Los Angeles).
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#18]
KBaker is correct, the Teflon used on the KTW was to improve penetration when the bullet struck hard surfaces like windshields at a sharp angle. It reduced penetration when the bullet struck a hard surface at a right angle, and it also reduced penetration in soft body armour reguardless of angle.

The key to the KTW's performance was the hard steel (originaly tungston) bullet. A driving band of a softer metal, probably copper, was used to protect the weapons bore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top