Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2001 9:33:37 AM EDT
Good essay: [url]http://www.anotherpundit.com/cgi/viewnews.cgi?newsid991994806,6503,[/url]
We need to get more guns into the hands of children. I'm not saying that just for shock value. I'm not saying it because I'm some twisted pop-culture demon out to be the web version of Marilyn Manson, either, nor am I some statist writing out of irony. I mean what I say: we need to get more guns into the hands of children.

Presumably, those of us who oppose gun control measures do so because we believe that guns are a good thing. That is, we believe that the individual ownership of firearms is among the best possible encouragments and protections to one's well-being and happiness; that the taking of responsibility for one's own self-defense is not simply a moral imperative, but a "personal empowerment" in the most literal sense of the word; and that a basic knowledge of firearms is as essential to a whole individual as the study of language, mathematics, the arts, athletics, or philosophy. If we do not believe these things, we have no business supporting gun rights, self-defense, or the freedom to bear arms of any kind; either it is good to be armed, or it is not. If it is good, we should be encouraging it.
View Quote
More...
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Hear, Hear.

I have a 3 year old and a 18 month old.  I plan on having them shooting WELL by age 6.  Nothing will scare the hell out of your more than seeing first-hand what a firearm can do.  I learned to shoot at a young age, and knew the dangers of pointing it at something because they went SPLAT when I pulled the trigger...therefore, I have a lot more respect for safely handling firearms because of my experience.

Sheeesh, with today's public schools the way they are, my kids better be able to know "take down" and "disarming" techniques too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The public school system and the mass media are combining to convince our children that guns are evil and should be done away with.  If we don't get more youngsters interested in the shooting sports, our right to keep and bear arms will die by attrition - no new laws will be necessary.  

You'll note that a major component of the new "gun safety" mantra is oriented at making sure children never TOUCH a gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#5]
btt

Associated article by Michelle Malkin [url]http://www.jewishworldreview.com/michelle/malkin060101.asp[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top