BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Re: the LEO comments:  I think you're going to get the argument that death rates are one thing and murder rates are another.  From the list above, it would appear that getting into a motor vehicle accident is by far the most dangerous part of an LEOs job (ie. likelihood of injury or death).  Spending a lot of time on the road is evidently not healthy for you.  

No, they included on-the-job murder too.

Really!!!  So then, why didn't postal workers make the list?

Seriously, I had thought the list would be defined by by the innate characteristics of the jobs described.  It would seem odd that let's say Fishing Workers could become the the most dangerous job by virtue of some asshat going blowing up a few fishing boats with C4.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Other than military, how many of those professions are killed/attacked/injured for DOING their job?  Not many.  OK, the crab fisherman may get attacked by that recidivist crab that refuses to go back to the hold alive......

Brian

Who cares?  Dead is pretty final, there is no 20/20 hindsight after that one.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Other than military, how many of those professions are killed/attacked/injured for DOING their job?  Not many.  OK, the crab fisherman may get attacked by that recidivist crab that refuses to go back to the hold alive......

Brian

Agreed, dead is dead.  But there is a difference between dying/being killed due to your own stupidity/corner cutting -rarely is something truly 'accidental' - vs being killed because of the conscious decision by another human being.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
"Aircraft pilots"? Since when is being a pilot mean it is your profession? I have a feeling they include all GA pilots, which are not professional (i.e. commercial, pilots for hire) pilots.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Well since

Internet pundit
Armchair Commando
Sheep in the center of the herd

and

Monday Morning QB

Didn't make the list, you guys shouldn't have a thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
'had a debat re. dangerous jobs ithin the police dept...
'Some thought "Tac-Teams" had the most dangerous job... I guess because they go into what appear to be more dangerous situations..
My position is taht the traffic cop has the most dangerous job... In that every stop could become a violent confrontation.... Initially at least you're out there by yourself.... You have little if any info on who's in the car... Tact teams on the other hand show up in overwhelming strength, Act once they have info. or "intel." and are more thoroughly trained... They also have lots of guns and way cool bling enabling them to win the day....
Just a guess, but I will assume far more patrol officers are KIA during their regular course of duty than there are SWAT cops on a call out...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

Agreed, dead is dead.  But there is a difference between dying/being killed due to your own stupidity/corner cutting -rarely is something truly 'accidental' - vs being killed because of the conscious decision by another human being.

Brian

Making some blanket assumptions...  A fisherman may not die of any negligence on his own, someone else could have caused the accident.  He didn't die from any "stupidity" on his part.  Accidents happen.  

On the same token, a police officer could also be the cause/contribute to his own death.  "Cutting corners", like not wearing his vest, unneccesarily escalating a situation, losing control of his vehicle, etc.

I think when someone dies from an accident it's pretty damn callous of you pointing a finger and saying they died of their own stupidity.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting...

Pretty accurate but they left out the military jobs.

IIRC, Navy carrier flight deck crew is the most dangerous of all military jobs...and I suspect closely followed by trigger pullers and EOD.

I could be wrong though...

The study included military Accidental deaths. The militray accidental death rate in 2004 was 5.2 per 100,000. They did not include combat deaths. Including combat deaths, the military has the highest fatality rate. In 2004, there were 1887 total military deaths out of 1,711,916 "workers." That is a fatality rate of 110.2 per 100,000.

Considering people are ACTIVELY trying to kill them on a daily basis, it is not that much more dangerous than being a logger, aircraft pilot, or fisherman.

At least not in this war, but then again this war is wierd...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That simply cannot be!

We have it on good authority otherwise!

Well, OK, I suppose we have to buy those numbers....

Watch out for the increased 'militarization' of lumberjacks!

Eric The(PaulBunyonWouldBePizzed)Hun

Law enforcement is hard to quantify for its' inherent dangers, because there's different responsibilitys in the LE field.
A small town cop doesn't face the same daily dangers as an undercover narcotics officer in a large city;  a 20 year FBI agent with a desk job doesn't face the same risks as a state trooper driving 100 mph on the freeway catching up to a speeder.
LE officers get scraped and cut on a daily basis, and it's not usually because of their inattention or carelessness, it's because they're criminally assualted.
Statistically LE  overall with real figures might not be in the top ten for dangerous vocations,  but there are some areas of LE that're balls to the wall high speed non stop risk.
The real danger in LE isn't the murders of police officers, it's the stress and frustration that builds up.  Suicides, alcoholism, divorce, and stress related illnesses are quite common.
Most of the smart ass commandos that  bash cops on this site have no real idea what kind of shit most cops put up with everyday, from some of their peers, the populace at large and insane administrative policies.

Sorry to piss on your petty little cop bashing jab ETH, but you really have no idea of what LE really is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top