Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2001 7:28:28 AM EDT
and would like anybody's help on Jeep trails. especially from the locals... i will be driving I80 west, to Frisco, and going south through Summit County, eventually into NM. now i know there are some SICK trails that go through old-west mining towns and what not, but i need some help on info/resources. any and all input is appreciated! thanx in advance!

p.s. should i bring my hunting rifle, or dbl. bbl. shorty 12 ga. (for mtn. lions, scorpions  and such...) ???
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee, m not real sure. Colorado is so far East of me  [:)]. I would just pick up one of Delormes State topo maps. those things are pretty good. Also some 4wd stores sell good trail map books with descriptions and ratings for the trails. You might want to check out www.4wd.com or someone.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, my problem with the topo-maps, maptech.com, etc, is that the USGS has not updated their surveys since 1965 or so... some trails may be closed, or just plain don't exist anymore. i did check out that site you gave me, and one of the links crashed my computer! so later i will revisit...

if any locals are reluctant to give up your secrets publicly (i don't blame you one bit!), i can be reached at: [red][email protected][/red]

thanx again!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
btt...

...don't everyone respond at once!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
There are some awesome trails above Keystone ski resort, near a town called Montezuma. I think there's at least one ghost town (not much left) near by. Some of the trails are above tree line. There is another trail (easy one) above Georgetown off of I-70. It's called Quanella Pass. I might have spelled it wrong. If I can think of more I'll reply. [):)]

Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
keystone, eh?
is that the trail that takes you towards breckenridge through arapahoe natl. forest?? also, have you ever driven up to pike's peak? do they still allow it??

-thanx!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You may have to copy and paster to you bowser.

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Montezuma&state=CO&slt=39.581100&sln=-105.866700&name=&zip=&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=7&desc=&cs=7&newmag=6&poititle=&poi=

[):)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
fattym4:

I think your taking I70 to Frisco.

Go south to Alma and take Mosquito Pass over to Leadville (a 13,000+ foot Pass).  Then take Hwy24 south approximately 8 miles and take Weston Pass back over to the Alma side.  Or head out toward Turquoise Lake and take Hagerman pass over to the Aspen/Basalt area.

If you look at the maps or contact the 4 wheeler shops in the high country, they should provide you with several opportunities to cross back and forth over the Mosquito and Sawatch ranges.

Too high for scorpions, no griz just a few black bears, an occasional cat.  Most dangerous thing you'll encounter walks on two legs.  If you want to shoot a critter, you'll need a hunter's ed card and a small game license.  Finally, for the most part, if you shoot it, you'll probably have to eat it.

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure you can drive up to the peak, and if ya want stop for the night. I got an extra room.

Rew  
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Boreas Pass between Breckenridge and Como is a great drive, Start in Breck and you'll end up in South Park...the real South Park that is. It follows the old rail road bed for the narrow guage RR that carried the gold and silver out to Denver.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Look what I found.
http://www.4x4trails.net
[rolleyes]

[):)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
redleg1one, SWEET LINKS! looks like now i have too many trails to jeep on! (the last one is awsome! - my search engine sucks! and it would take me days to look at all the sites! thanx for the help)

SRM, YES, I70, YES! (i really should not post before coffee [%|] ) also, is the aspen/basalt area anywhere near gunnisun (sp?) area???

80906, really???

M24Expert, so i guess i could avoid the frisco rte, start in denver, take the trail to breck, then go south towards the trails that SRM told me about??? WooHoo! looks like i can make it the whole way to santa fe without touching too much pavement!!!

thanx guys! i wasn't expecting so much help!! [:D]  (i wish there was a jeeper's icon!!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top