BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Time does not exist.  Show me a picture of time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ever since  I was little I have always felt and believed we all exist in the same place at the same time.

Maybe I was just crazy as a kid and crazy now, to be honest I don't even think we physically exist nor reality.

I feel we live in an illusion we live where we want to live, nothing else and we all live in our own reality. Pain to me isn't pain to you.

This topic started getting kicked around by philosophers around 3000 years ago.

Get a college textbook on philosophy and take it from there.

Some really really really smart people have spend centuries musing over this stuff and have come up with some very clever stuff.

That having been said, I know how I'm voting.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#4]
tag , just in case
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#5]
READ YOUR BIBLE!! (PLEASE)
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Using this illogic…

The Earths core does not exist… show me a picture of the Earths core.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Time does exist and its a liberal rag.

p.s. quit drinking the bong water
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I think we can prove olyarms is sucking up to much oxygen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn!!! Why can't I score the 'cool' drugs????....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Might not be a good idea to dwell on the nature of
reality. That is some deep shit that'll end up cooking
your noodle.

It is damned fun, tho.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know damned well that time exists.  And I know that I exist.  I'm not sure about the rest of you, though.

I'm always right here, but sometimes, you go away.

If time didn't exist, then there'd be no past and no future.   But obviously, there IS.  WAS. And WILL BE.

I live in the future of yesterday, the past of tomorrow, and the present present.

CJ

If you're truly interested, go pick up some books on quantum theory. You'll burn your brain out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]
The way I see it is this: Time is just the measurement used to judge the order of events.

Time is no more a "substance" than an inch or an ounce is tangible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm pink,
therefore,
I'm spam

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Show me a picture of gravity.

And if you don't think it exists, go jump off a bridge.

Me thinks you would be a believer before you hit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The snausberries taste like snausberries.

Littering and....  and a...  littering and.... and a.... littering and.... and a...  littering and.....

I'm freaking out man!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know damned well that time exists.  And I know that I exist.  I'm not sure about the rest of you, though.

I'm always right here, but sometimes, you go away.

If time didn't exist, then there'd be no past and no future.   But obviously, there IS.  WAS. And WILL BE.

I live in the future of yesterday, the past of tomorrow, and the present present.

CJ

If you're truly interested, go pick up some books on quantum theory. You'll burn your brain out.

Isn't everything pretty much a vacum when you get down to the smallest scale and coming in going as it pleases?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ok--memory does not exist.  show me a picture of memory.

now, describe reality without resorting to memory--tell me what is happening to you right now.

you can't do it. at the very moment of a single, specific event, it becomes a memory, and you process it using remembered perception.  therefore, because memory cannot be proven to exist (via your picture method), those events cannot be proven to exist, and if no events can be proven to exist, then nothing can be proven to exist.

and i can show you a picture of time.  you're looking at it--language.

the words in this post are a geometric line extending across your monitor, with a verifyable measure.  in other words, they take up space in a dimension--call it the x axis of your monitor.  without that extension over the x axis, the words could not be read.

the words of a spoken sentence are absolute proof of the existence of time.  when words are spoken, they form a geometric line extending across time.  if time did not exist, the words could not be spoken nor understood.

music is another example.  if time did not exist, there would be no difference between music and white noise.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Show me a picture of air.

Or better yet, show me a picture of God.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Show me a picture of air.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#23]
What a stupid fucking thread.

I'd expect it from none other than OLYARMS .
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

www.biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Labs/Anatomy_&_Physiology/A&P202/CNS_Histology/cerebrum_40x_PC231473.JPG

That's a picture of what contains memory. That's like asking for a picture of a gun and showing me a C&C machine and some metal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Okay I looked at some of the quantum physics stuff, if the same atoms can exist in two places in the same moment how can we say time isn't an illusion if one things can exist in two or more places in the same moment. If constrained by time how does this happen?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I think, therefore I don't give a shit.
Seriously, acid is only fun for the first 4 hours.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

www.biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Labs/Anatomy_&_Physiology/A&P202/CNS_Histology/cerebrum_40x_PC231473.JPG

That's a picture of what contains memory. That's like asking for a picture of a gun and showing me a C&C machine and some metal.

So you don't belive the cells retain memory thats what the scientist say, so you are looking at memory. And no its not the same thing. The cerebral is designed for the task, maybe if I showed a pile of gun parts but none functional.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ever since  I was little I have always felt and believed we all exist in the same place at the same time.

Maybe I was just crazy as a kid and crazy now, to be honest I don't even think we physically exist nor reality.

I feel we live in an illusion we live where we want to live, nothing else and we all live in our own reality. Pain to me isn't pain to you.

Funny, I was reading my neice's criminal justice book last week when I went fishig up there.  You fit the description of a serial killer.  In order to downgrade to a mass murderer, you need grandios dreams of acquiring power and need to blame some group of people to conspire against your plans.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Okay I looked at some of the quantum physics stuff, if the same atoms can exist in two places in the same moment how can we say time isn't an illusion if one things can exist in two or more places in the same moment. If constrained by time how does this happen?

Time doesn't exist. The concept of time was developed by someone with the same type of brain that you're using to say that time doesn't exist.

We know that things age, or degrade as "time" passes by. Time is just a concept that was developed to keep track of things. Like distance and speed, time is a measurement of what we see and expirience. A measurement could be called something else and it would still mean the same thing.

A minute exists because we say it does, the same with a mile. That's how a mile can be a mile and ~1600 meters at the same time.

Is it that hard to understand or are you just being a dumbass for the sake of being a dumbass?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What a stupid fucking thread.

I'd expect it from none other than OLYARMS .

Wow your a smart  fellow, to waste your time on what you feel is stupid.

Brilliant!, buy the guy a beer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I believe that I'll never get the time back that I wasted reading this thread.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't belive the cells retain memory thats what the scientist say, so you are looking at memory. And no its not the same thing. The cerebral is designed for the task, maybe if I showed a pile of gun parts but none functional.

If I tore the brain out of your head and stuck it in a jar, would it still contain memory?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time doesn't exist. The concept of time was developed by someone with the same type of brain that you're using to say that time doesn't exist.

We know that things age, or degrade as "time" passes by. Time is just a concept that was developed to keep track of things. Like distance and speed, time is a measurement of what we see and expirience. A measurement could be called something else and it would still mean the same thing.

A minute exists because we say it does, the same with a mile. That's how a mile can be a mile and ~1600 meters at the same time.

Is it that hard to understand or are you just being a dumbass for the sake of being a dumbass?

I am saying I don't belive it does, what are you talking about? I am simply asking some one to prove to me that time is real and not an illusion. But I am kind of crazy because I belive we exist along side of those before us and those ahead of us and also that we are all one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If I tore the brain out of your head and stuck it in a jar, would it still contain memory?

Okay is that better? Living cells living person thinking and recalling memorys.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38286000/jpg/_38286025_brain_forceps150.jpg
Okay is that better? Living cells living person thinking and recalling memorys. Before you say its still not seeing memory, you see this site correct your looking at it but do you see what it contains?

if (end == -1)
     end = dmnetCookieString.length;
   DMNETsession = unescape(dmnetCookieString.substring(start,end));
 }
dmnetURL += "&id="+DMNETsession+"&url="+escape(DMNETpage) + "&ref="+escape(document.referrer)+"&lng=" + ((!document.all ||  navigator.userAgent.match('Opera')) ? navigator.language : navigator.userLanguage) + "&tz=" + (Math.round(new Date('dec 1, 2002').getTimezoneOffset()/60)*-1);
if(screen)
 dmnetURL += "&scr=" + escape( screen.width + "x" + screen.height + " " + screen.colorDepth + "bpp" );

dmnetURL += "&rnd=" + new Date().getTime();

if(document.layers)

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We could all be living in Plato's cave right now.

faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/cave.htm

Or Decartes' brain in a jar.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. So every person has living cells and those cells are composed of the same material in each person.

But do we all have the same memories?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am saying I don't belive it does, what are you talking about? I am simply asking some one to prove to me that time is real and not an illusion. But I am kind of crazy because I belive we exist along side of those before us and those ahead of us and also that we are all one.

Define 'time.' Use nontraditional terms, and be original.

'Time' is, as stated, merely a yardstick for the perception of the shift in reality that encompasses being a living, sentient being.

Do you think that your dog knows anything about 'time?' Does an amoeba?

All situations exist simultaneously, in parallel. All things that 'have happened,' are happenning, or sould possibly ever happen... Are happening right now. Now is all that exists.

What we define as 'the passage of time' is simply our perception of the shift from one reality to another.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. So every person has living cells and those cells are composed of the same material in each person.

No. Because our memories are composed of a uniquely mapped arrangement of neurons, firing in specific, retained sequences, that are dissimilar from person to person.

This is like saying that because all human DNA is composed of certain pairs, that all DNA is the same. It is not. You can arrange it in many, many different patterns, all with a completely different outcome.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

When you get down to it yes, I would say so they are all made of the same thing everything in our world is made of the same material is it not?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'Time' is, as stated, merely a yardstick for the perception of the shift in reality that encompasses being a living, sentient being.

All situations exist simultaneously, in parallel. All things that 'have happened,' are happenning, or sould possibly ever happen... Are happening right now. Now is all that exists.

What we define as 'the passage of time' is simply our perception of the shift from one reality to another.

What are you talking about man, I am asking those who belive in time to explain to me how time governs us, how it is real.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

When you get down to it yes, I would say so they are all made of the same thing everything in our world is made of the same material is it not?

Right, everything is composed of the same basic building blocks, and how those blocks fit together is what makes everything different.

But this started because you thought that showing a part of the brain was showing a picture of memory, which it isn't. That was my point.

What was yours?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, everything is composed of the same basic building blocks, and how those blocks fit together is what makes everything different.

But this started because you thought that showing a part of the brain was showing a picture of memory, which it isn't. That was my point.

What was yours?

My point was really zero on that, just joking around with the picture of time thing. Still just waiting for some one to prove that time isn't more than an illusion.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you talking about man, I am asking those who belive in time to explain to me how time governs us, how it is real.

Yeah, and he answered how time is real and how it governs us. Time is a measurement.

You could call time "Olyarms is a stupid bastard who can't even explain his own philosophy" (just for example) if you wanted to.

All you have to do is define it as a system by which such intervals are measured, and it means the same thing.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
How do you know that the color blue looks the same to you as it does to me? Maybe YOUR blue is actually green to me.

Great.

Another sleepless night while I have to figure this out.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

My point was really zero on that, just joking around with the picture of time thing. Still just waiting for some one to prove that time isn't more than an illusion.

Okay, you don't mean "time" you mean REALITY. Big difference there.

You're going to be waiting forever for someone else to prove to you that REALITY isn't an illusion, because it's something you can only figure out for yourself, because as soon as someone proves it to you, you will wonder if they are real or not.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#47]
deleted
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay some one has told me to watch "what the bleep do we know" Going to watch it today. Will report back
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Actually there is no time. Time is simply a system made by mankind to chronicle the events of our lives. seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, etc are all of our own creation. We could change the system or lose it completely although it makes our lives easier. However to think of time as something that exists in and of itself like air or the sky is not true. At least not completely. There is in a sense a time because this world is filled with beginnings and endings. The end of time (from a christian perspective) is simply when the system of time is no longer relevant because there are no more beginnings or endings. Things just 'are' forever and ever.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top