Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This thread needs a poll.

I vote assclown .

I would be ashamed if I had a son that would do that.

If you read the fucking article, it was done at the request of his mother.    Yall gonna line up to lynch her too?

+10 on "the mother's an assclown, too".  May Dad come back and haunt their stupid asses.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
If my cousin EVER THOUGHT about giving back the swords & daggers my Uncle Steve took from DEAD JAPS HE KILLED on IWO JIMA, I'd kick his ass all the way to Arlington!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
What a fucking FAG!!!!!I can't believe he has dishonored his father like that. His old man risked his life for our country and this ass-nugget wants to give the Japs back their stuff. Maybe the Japs can give us back the lives they took when they sneak attacked us during World War 2. Oh yeah...that's right...you can't give back "lives", can you?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
members.citynet.net/sootypaws/active/stories/images/life_picture_sm.jpg

"Arizona war worker writes her Navy boyfriend a thank-you note for the Jap skull he sent her.

When he said goodby two years ago to Natalie Nickerson, 20 a war worker of Phoenix, Ariz., a big, handsome Navy lieutenant promised her a Jap. Last week Natalie received a human skull, autographed by her lieutenant and 13 friends, and inscribed: "This is a good Jap - a dead one picked up on the New Guinea beach." Natalie, surprised at the gift, named it Tojo. The armed forces disapprove strongly of this sort of thing."

LIFE MAGAZINE, 5/22/44 p.35 "Picture of the Week"

I wouldn't even give that back.  Has anyone heard of any Japanese returning any war trophies to Americans?  Fuck 'em.  

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I vote assclown .

If you read the fucking article, it was done at the request of his mother.    Yall gonna line up to lynch her too?

+10 on "the mother's an assclown, too".  May Dad come back and haunt their stupid asses.

+1, the guy got no respect from his family, a good wife would have cherished the thing and a good son would have wanted to keep it.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#6]
It meant enough to him to hang on to it for 60 years.

If he wanted it to be given back, he would have given it back himself, nevermind the fact that if the story is true, the original owner didn't even care enough to keep it.

I have a couple of Iraqi berets that I brought back and a Viet Cong belt that my stepfather brought back. They belong to us. Not to the Iraqis, not to the Vietnamese. I don't care if it brings comfort to a thousand Iraqis and Vietnamese, they are never going back. They should have considered the consequences before they let their loved ones step into the meat grinder.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I vote assclown .

+1, the guy got no respect from his family, a good wife would have cherished the thing and a good son would have wanted to keep it.  

Fuckin' A right!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#8]
now, I'm not saying they should be returned.  But some of those swords you guys have are probably far older than you think.  Alot of the time, if a family didn't have a son that was old enough, or didn't have a son at all that could serve, they would pledge a family sword to be given to and carried by an officer.  Some of the swords had probably been in the family for hundreds maybe even more than a thousand years.  The sword was considered "part" of the family.  To the Japanese, taking and keeping the sword is about the equivilent of them taking lets say.... your son or daughter, and not returning it.  Now in no way am I saying you should get all doe eyed and return it, I'm just giving you what could be their take on the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
blah blah blah

He returned it to the Japanese Govt. There may be some sentimental value to meeting and returning it to the guy. Giving it to the Japanese govt? Pussy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Dad brings home a coat, sticks it in a drawer and never makes a mention of it.  Sure don't sound like some big ass sentimental war trophy to me.  

The old man dies and the coat that sat in a drawer for 60 years finally comes out.

Maybe because that coat was a reminder to him of the horrible, ruthless things that he had to do to defend this country. Maybe he came back from the war and felt that the things he had done for his country were best kept from his children in hopes that they would never have to live through the times that he lived through. Maybe the coat reminded him of the friends he lost, the bodies that he saw burned and blown to pieces, and the people who he had killed. Maybe this coat was a reminder of the price that he paid for our freedom.

This son has no respect for the sacrifice his father made or for the cost of war. War trophies aren't just cool things taken off of the enemy (not to me anyways), they are a symbol or the sacrifices that young men have to make when their country calls them. Someone died for that war trophy and some killed for it. That should not be forgotten. This son obviously has forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
now, I'm not saying they should be returned.  But some of those swords you guys have are probably far older than you think.  Alot of the time, if a family didn't have a son that was old enough, or didn't have a son at all that could serve, they would pledge a family sword to be given to and carried by an officer.  Some of the swords had probably been in the family for hundreds maybe even more than a thousand years.  The sword was considered "part" of the family.  To the Japanese, taking and keeping the sword is about the equivilent of them taking lets say.... your son or daughter, and not returning it.  Now in no way am I saying you should get all doe eyed and return it, I'm just giving you what could be their take on the whole thing.

What about the sons and daughters that they took from American families at Pearl Harbor, Midway, Iwo Jima and all of the other places where Americans died fighting the Japs? They lost a sword for their desire to rule the Pacific. Millions of Americans lost so much more.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Fuck this duck loving tree hugging POS

+  eleven trillion... My dad had some war trophys from Iwo.. Japanese gas mask, cigs, and some other stuff.. Grandpa was a Navy Captain and a dentist in WWII.. If my dad gave those back my grandpa would dig himself out and come gunnin for sure..
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]
dumb
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]
The trophies my Grandfather and great Uncles took from enemies (both German and Jap) will never be returned in any way shape or form if I come into possession of them

The trophies the other side of my family took will not be returned either if I ever come into possession of them (though soem woudl argue my coming into possession woudl be returning them, they fought for germany)

A friend of mine has a Viet COng skull on his desk. I don't think even that should be returned. He is pretty proud of it, though when the posice seized it he sure had a heck of a time getting it back.  (police seized all firearms and equipment too, fishing expeidtion as near as I cna tell)
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nevermind they can not *legally* own th esword now anyways.....  blade length restriction in Japan, including swords, ceremonial, Family, or not.   Started at the Beginning of the Meiji era as I recall. Came to complete fruition sometime in the 60s as I recall.

sort of like Australia and Britain are trying to do
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
sounds like a case of Liberal White Guilt
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Those swords are also the most salient representation of a Japanese warrior tradition that stretches back for thousands of years.  There are many aspects of that tradition that are to be respected.  That tradition also included the perogative of the Japanese warrior class to test the edges of those swords on the necks of Japanese peasants, or the citizens of Nanking, or British/American/Dutch/etc POWs.  But in that tradition, victory mattered most.  The men who took these swords with them back to the United States helped to totally smash that tradition, defeating and forever dishonoring it.  The Japanese picked the fight.  It would seem to me that the Japanese who really wielded those swords would be further dishonored by our treating their weapons as some sort of politically correct cultural bargaining chip rather than as properly acquired spoils of a hard-fought, total victory.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those swords are also the most salient representation of a Japanese warrior tradition that stretches back for thousands of years.  There are many aspects of that tradition that are to be respected.  That tradition also included the perogative of the Japanese warrior class to test the edges of those swords on the necks of Japanese peasants, or the citizens of Nanking, or British/American/Dutch/etc POWs.  But in that tradition, victory mattered most.  The men who took these swords with them back to the United States helped to totally smash that tradition, defeating and forever dishonoring it.  The Japanese picked the fight.  It would seem to me that the Japanese who really wielded those swords would be further dishonored by our treating their weapons as some sort of politically correct cultural bargaining chip rather than as properly acquired spoils of a hard-fought, total victory.  

Actually, that tradition and honor of Bushido was destroyed by the Japanese themselves in the 19th century.  The false honor that was used to politically motivate the Japanese, and the ressurection of the term Samurai, used in this manner, furthered the dishonor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like and attempt to get some attention.  Give to a museum or the VFW.  Articles like this start because someone called the newpaper and said "this is what I am going to do, want to take my picture and write and article in the paper about me."

This shit happens all the time in my home town, mothers who call into the newspaper to have an article and pitures taken while they are cryiung about their son who is in Iraq.

Fucking attention whores.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Shithead!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

...snip...

Nevermind they can not *legally* own th esword now anyways.....  blade length restriction in Japan, including swords, ceremonial, Family, or not.   Started at the Beginning of the Meiji era as I recall. Came to complete fruition sometime in the 60s as I recall.

Actually one can own ceremonial swords if it is blunt without any restrictions.
To own a real sword, one must register it at the police and pay about $40.
The main restrictions are that you can not “open carry ” both blunt or real swords or carry them around in a public place in a manner in which it can be easily accessed/used.

If it can be classified as art or a historical object it also has to be registered at the local education committee.
Many restrictions are on this type of sword.
For example it must not be removed from Japan, it most not be broken or disfigured intentionally.

Carrying knifes around for self defense is also illegal.

From the Japanese government’s HP.
Sorry that it is in Japanese but it was the only source that I could find.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

......The Japanese picked the fight.  It would seem to me that the Japanese who really wielded those swords would be further dishonored by our treating their weapons as some sort of politically correct cultural bargaining chip rather than as properly acquired spoils of a hard-fought, total victory.  

Either way, we win.  But I'd rather have or burn the damn thing, considering the element there, that to this day refuses to admit their responsibility for starting the damn Pacific war.   Sometimes I think this HONOR concept is overblown.  F**k the enemy, and their philosophy, too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna get hurt.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
To the Victors.......

Go the women!!!  And the horses!!!

I'll take the women, you take the damn horses.  They eat too much, and they like to do stupid things at the absolute worst times.    

The horses or the women
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
"Said Hadley: “I’m going to see how many of my dad’s footsteps I can follow.”"

Yeah, well, you better get some bigger shoes because you damn sure can't fill your father's prints.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm gonna get hurt.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
To the Victors.......

Go the women!!!  And the horses!!!

I'll take the women, you take the damn horses.  They eat too much, and they like to do stupid things at the absolute worst times.    

The horses or the women

Damn it that is funny.  As Arfcom would say; "Both"!!    
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Booty is Booty.

The guy is fucking retard.  And I agree his father is spinning in his grave about right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#28]
IT'S A FUCKING SAILOR'S UNIFORM!!!!!!

If this was a sacred artifact of the Japanese people I could almost understand.  But it's a uniform.  He just has to do something to make himself feel better, probably because he has been "educated" by some liberal university.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#29]
1. The war between the US and Japan has been over for 60 years.  Get over it already.

World War 2 was a terrible conflict for everyone involved, both on the Allied and Axis sides.  But since then, the Japanese have become some of our closest allies and trading partners in Southeast Asia.

2. Did you bother to read the article?

"When Hadley told his mother he was heading to Iwo Jima for the battle’s 60th anniversary, she asked if he would return the item. Hadley’s father died two years ago at age 77. His mother said they didn’t need it anymore, that it didn’t belong to the family."

Perhaps this is her way of making a peace gesture to the Japanese people.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
IT'S A FUCKING SAILOR'S UNIFORM!!!!!!

If this was a sacred artifact of the Japanese people I could almost understand.  But it's a uniform.  He just has to do something to make himself feel better, probably because he has been "educated" by some liberal university.

Yes, maybe he found it because the Japanese guy said to himself, "why the f**k am I carrying this thing around and it's 92 degrees out here..."

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top