Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Trey Spruance from Mr. Bungle.  I think he can comp any style and do it convincingly.

Denny Freeman, long time Austin guitar player.  He was tight with SRV and Jimmie Vaughn & is on tour with Bob Dylan.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]
OK I've heard most all of those guitarists and I'm going to say:

Brian May. The guitarist from Queen. Great guitar licks- but he does it Spartan-style. He does what needs to get done with a modicum of effort. Every guitar solo I've heard him do is pared down to what it *needs* to be, no flash. The guy was in one of the biggest bands of the 70s and gets virtually no love in the guitarist polls. Listen to a "greatest hits" from Queen- Fat Bottom Girls, We Will Rock You, and yes, the ballsy part of Bohemian Rhapsody.

+1 though on honorable mentions to Mato Nanji, Neil Gerardo and I'll add Ted Nugent and Ron Wood (with The Faces)...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.esteban-guitars.com/images/esteban-american-legacy-guitar-5.jpg

Esteban !!! Besides, he saved a ton on car insurance.

Oh man... that some good stuff!

That guy drives me nuts. As a guitarist who's studied classical and played everything from rock to country to metal to blues to jazz to classical to flamenco, professionally for the past 20+ years... I laugh hard every time the Home Shopping Network is peddling another Esteban CD or cheap guitar. I won't knock him in the sense that he's doing his "thing" (think used car salesman or lounge act). But when I want to listen to flamenco type music I grab my Sabicas, Paco, Oscar Lopez, or other CD's. Ottmar Leibert also drives me nuts. Not because he plays, but because some people actually think he's a stand-out player. Compared to the guys I mentioned, he's not.

As far as underated guitar players, I think that THE BEST players are only underated by the sheeple. Players know who the best are. Many were mentioned already, and some not. Many just get forgotten, but when considered players acknowledge how awesome they are.

Some of my favorites and most mind-blowing are mentioned below (and very FEW of them are underated by players):

BLUES/ROCK/METAL

Uli Jon Roth
Gary Moore
John Sykes
Yngwie Malmsteen (some people only hear lots of notes -- there's more there if you listen)
SRV
EVH

Fusion
Allan Holdsworth
Frank Gambale
John McLaughlin
Al DiMeola
Shawn Lane

Classical
John Williams
Manuel Barrueco
Julian Bream
Elliot Fisk
Any member of the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet
Any member of The Romero Family

Flamenco
Sabicas
Paco DeLucia
Strunz & Farah
Jesse Cook
Oscar Lopez
Any REAL flamenco player

Country
Albert Lee
Johnny Hiland
Vince Gill
Brad Paisley
Ricky Scaggs

I could go on and on. The fact is, most players know who the best are and give them their due. The record buying public typically ignore anything good in favor of what's popular. They're too lazy to actually care what's good. They'd just as soon declare the dork from Blink 182 as a guitar god (Tom Delonge).

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else here know who David Rawlings is?  He gets my vote.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Joe Bonamassa
Monte Mongomery
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
None of the names being tossed around here are under-rated in the guitar world. Pick up a GFTPM issue from the past 15 years or so and you'll see their names everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Stephen Stills

Can play acoustic as well as jam with the best.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
None of the names being tossed around here are under-rated in the guitar world. Pick up a GFTPM issue from the past 15 years or so and you'll see their names everywhere.

I loved that mag, but it hasn't been around in the past 15 or so years has it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Flamenco
Sabicas
Paco DeLucia
Strunz & Farah
Jesse Cook
Oscar Lopez
Any REAL flamenco player

Great post, and I can't argue with any of your choices, but you forgot Carlos Montoya and Manitas de Plata.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Nuno Bettencourt

Prince--that guy has been compared to Jimi Hendrix and is a GREAT guitarist

Neil Schon from Journey

Some of the country players are great as well with Vince Gill being waaaay up there, as well as Travis Tritt.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 for Alex Lifeson. He has his own unique sound and doesn't play like anyone I've heard before.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Trey Anastasio

+1.  hearing some of the stuff he can play whlie singing is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Ritchie Blackmore is the best most overlooked guitarist of the 60's, 70's, and 80's
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
James Hetfield, for a rhythm guitarst anyway
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#15]
ok, i'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but since we're talking underrated and not the best guitarist, i'll weigh in with...

snake and scotty hill, from skid row

now, before you all start yelling, i want you to download "in a darkened room" from slave and listen to that solo all the way through.  or hill's interpretation of 'little wing". or snake on the 12-string bass on "quicksand jesus".  or just the riffs.  

say what you want about bach, or the 80's, or hairspray, but those guys put out some of the best rock and roll guitar work of their time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Jeff Healey remember Road House?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Jake E. Lee back in 'the day'.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ok, i'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but since we're talking underrated and not the best guitarist, i'll weigh in with...

now, before you all start yelling, i want you to download "in a darkened room" from slave and listen to that solo all the way through.  or hill's interpretation of 'little wing". or snake on the 12-string bass on "quicksand jesus".  or just the riffs.  

say what you want about bach, or the 80's, or hairspray, but those guys put out some of the best rock and roll guitar work of their time.

I was gonna put Snake in mine but thought I'd catch flak for it  

/still love my Skid Row
//Mudkicker kick, kickin' me down...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I like it. Someone else who likes 'in a darkened room'!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Mike Graff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
norman blake !!!!!!                                                                                                                                                
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Tony Iommi
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

But my vote would be Gary Moore...

Good call

Haven't heard about him in a mwhile now though

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Duke Robillard
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Brian Setzer
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I have no idea how he's rated in the guitar world and he may be considered a total hack but Eric Schenkman of the Spin Doctors has always fascinated me.

He has a quality that I also see in Eddie Van Halen.  The only way I can think to describe it is to say that his rythms are very melodic and his melodies are very rythmic.   When he starts playing the rythm/melody just flows.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Another for Junior Brown.

Wade Hayes was extremely good as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hence my disclaimer about under-rated meaning only in the popularity sense. Real players know who real players are.

BTW... GFTPM was good, but Guitar Player always had a much more varied cast of players from EVERY genre. They had classical players like Julian Bream and John Williams on the cover many times over the years, whereas GFTPM was geared toward rock/metal shredders. As much as I love shredders (Yngwie was BY FAR my biggest influence), concert classical artists are a notch or ten above any rock player in terms of technical facility, theory, etc. But then again, Dave Gilmore knocks me out with just a few notes from his trusty EMG-loaded Strat. S'all good...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
OK I've heard most all of those guitarists and I'm going to say:

Brian May. The guitarist from Queen. Great guitar licks- but he does it Spartan-style. He does what needs to get done with a modicum of effort. Every guitar solo I've heard him do is pared down to what it *needs* to be, no flash. The guy was in one of the biggest bands of the 70s and gets virtually no love in the guitarist polls. Listen to a "greatest hits" from Queen- Fat Bottom Girls, We Will Rock You, and yes, the ballsy part of Bohemian Rhapsody.

A big +1
The Brighton rock solo is rather monumental too
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Timothy J. Mahoney, of 311. and I will also agree with whoever said Leo Kottke
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Larry Lalonde of Primus. Sounds like he is messing around half the time, but try to play any of his solos, its near impossible. Trained by Steve Via (i believe).

Reverend Horton Heat - maybe not underrated, but under-appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Buckethead

He is THE most under-rated player today.

AB
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I would say Slash is overated as opposed to underated, same with Joe Perry.

These guys are popular because they form Famous Duo's with their lead singers.

Don't get me wrong but these two are far more famous because of their looks and atitudes than there ability to play a guitar.  

As I've stated before Buckethead is underated.  He is a better guitar player than Slash and has the credentials to back it up.  When he replaced Slash for GNR everyone was like WTF?  Where is Slash?  Even though Buckethead can play Slash's own tunes as well, if not better.  People just like to see Slash with his sheepdog hair and top hat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Zakk Wylde

Junior Brown

Robin Trower
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Junior Brown

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
www.esteban-guitars.com/images/esteban-american-legacy-guitar-5.jpg

Esteban !!! Besides, he saved a ton on car insurance.

Close, you have the right genre.....

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Tom Morello
Leo Kottke
Ler Lalonde

I vote for the above previously suggested artists.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The dude from rage against the machine

Actually I consider him way overrated.

Listen to Edgar Winter, he did most of those sound effects on his guitar years ago (not to mention that Tom Morello is a raging commie).

I think you might mean Johnny Winter?  If not, I'd add him to the list of (not) recently appreciated players.  Kinda fell off the map, there.

Also, David Lindley, Ry Cooder, and Roy Buchanan.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#40]
adding to the list:

Steve Morse
Jorma Kaukonen
Rory Gallagher
Steve Stevens

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#41]
John Petrucci of Dream Theatre

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm happy to see some Steve Stevens fans are still out there! He was much of the reason for Billy Idol's success in the 80's. Damn music moguls screwed up the good thing they were doing. The nuances the man added to Billy's albums were extraordinary. Alex Lifeson and Nuno Bettencourt are also masters who deserved much more acclaim.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Joe Satriani....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Lots of metal musicians have so much talent and are completely ignored by aficionados because its too "loud".
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#46]
You could more than likely add Reeves Gabrels to the list.  I saw him play a song with Bowie years ago on some TV show and I thought he was pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Who are you guys talking about??

J/K

Exactly, most of the people named here are famous for being guitar players.

Maybe all jazz guitarists should be added to that catagorie.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Robbie Robertson

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter

Ronnie Wood

Elliot Randall

Duane Allman

Fred Tackett

Bruce Springsteen and Glen Campbell are both known more as singers, but their playing is often wrongly overlooked.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't know if the guy is even around anymore,but Yngwie Malmsteen.When I was a little 15-16 yr old stoner guitarist,he was my guitar god,along with Randy Rhodes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Bruce Springsteen and Glen Campbell are both known more as singers, but their playing is often wrongly overlooked.

Glen Campbell... the "other" Beach Boy!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top