[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't be so snappy with assumptions?

wern't you the one who made the assumption that all rap is "All the songs sound like a Bass out of control wrapped around unintelliogible lyrics UNTIL there's a cuss word which can be heard 8 blocks away. " ?

don't be a hypocrite

I made no assumption. I was raised in the cities of Philly and Providence, respectively. I've heard TONS of rap..it's exactly what I've said it is. You assumed because I was white I listen to twangy-style country.My opinion of rap is based upon personal exposure...your statement of what I'd like musically was formed not on exposure, but due to your assumption of my "whiteness."

if your education of rap is based off what you heard from parties and passing cars in philly then your still pretty ignorant on its different forms.  If I formed my opinion on rock or country based on my exposure to what hit of the week is being blasted on the radio, I'd probably go insane and listen to hip hop exclusively.  Instead my opinions have been formed after keeping an open mind and exploration of all different musics forms.  Don't pigeon hole yourself.

So now I am pidgeon-holed?
Bullshit.
I listen to many forms of music:
Classical (Handel is a favorite) Rhythm and Blues (Stevie Ray!) , Dance music (Will Smith and Beyonce are great for when I feel the need to shake my tush), Rock, Alternative, Southern Fried Rock (Kansas) , classics (Lois Armstrong, if you're looking for more color in there)  The list is endless...
I have not pidgeonholed myself. I simply don't think Rap is music.
And I don't need an "education" of something that denegrates women and glorifies crimes to know I don't like it.

FTR: I don't carewhat color the rapper is: Eminem is an untalented piece of work as well

Well its good that we can agree on one thing, Eminem does suck

That aside, you still havn't listened to enough music if you think rap is all about putting down women and commiting crime.  Rap is a style of music, the individual artist decides the lyrical content.  Right now I'm listening to a rap cd that doesn't use the term "bitches" in any song I've heard, instead he raps about his traumatic childhood, his struggle with depression and addiction, accidently killing the girl he loved and his sobriety and daughter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That aside, you still havn't listened to enough music if you think rap is all about putting down women and commiting crime.  Rap is a style of music, the individual artist decides the lyrical content.  Right now I'm listening to a rap cd that doesn't use the term "bitches" in any song I've heard, instead he raps about his traumatic childhood, his struggle with depression and addiction, accidently killing the girl he loved and his sobriety and daughter.

What artist is that?

Just curious, I probably know, but I can't figure out the clues.

Most people need to realize that there are two genres.

RAP

and

Hip-Hop.

One I like a lot (HH) but most rap I can leave at the door.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
oh yea, saying rap is bad because of dead prez is like saying rock sucks because of styx.  You can't judge just because of one bad artist

That one bad "artist" is one example of nearly every rap "artist". Almost without exception, they're a bunch of thugs, racists, and criminals extolling the virtues of being thugs, racists, and criminals to millions across the nation.

In fact, the ONLY rap song I can listen to without feeling the urge to shoot something is "Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer. And then only because it pisses people off when I play it during a HALO match and kick everyone's butts.

I won't argue the fact that the majority of rap glorifies the thug life, because it does, but listening to trick daddy, snoop dogg and all that stuff you hear on the radio is just scratching the surface.  Theres plenty of stuff out there which isn't about that, hell theres even songs against it (Slick Rick "Childrens Story" for example)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
wow... just wow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Not work safe, but this is just as bad. I can't stand rappers or the shit they spit!

link
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What artist is that?

Just curious, I probably know, but I can't figure out the clues.

Most people need to realize that there are two genres.

RAP

and

Hip-Hop.

One I like a lot (HH) but most rap I can leave at the door.

You probably don't know it since he's pretty underground and the album was just released last week but its Cage's Hells Winter.  His older stuff is more about drugs and violence, this album is about growing out of it, going sober and facing what made him what he became to explain it to his daughter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not work safe, but this is just as bad. I can't stand rappers or the shit they spit!

link

Ok now that pile of SHIT pissed me off. Especially the end.

The other side of me wonders if they acquired the necessary permissions to reproduce that video footage? Sometimes... people wonder why there is such a negative outlook on the black culture. I am not racist, but some times you just gotta wonder.

Oh and IBTL. Something tells me this will get ugly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]
God it must be nice to be black and to say whatever you want without fear of reprisal.  Lets see video where whitemen kick some homeys asses is racist. Video where homeys carjack and assault white people a'ok! Fuck them and their stupid double standard Afroshitnic bullshit.

BTW i dont have anything against people who are not white it just pisses me off when people are so stupidly blind to the problems that actually exist in this country. They want equality yet these fuckers are basically declaring war on white people.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
oh yea, saying rap is bad because of dead prez is like saying rock sucks because of styx.  You can't judge just because of one bad artist

How about saying rap is bad because it isn't even music and it SUCKS.  That better?

ETA: If rock does suck it's because of Greenday and System of the Down, among others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]
haha

It's just art. If it offends you, don't look at it? I thought it was kind of humorous, but then again I go to orgish.com for kicks.

This music video which depicts pretty dispecable behavior is shocking and I think reflects the feeling of desperation of African Americans. However, it's a negative, auto-cataclysmic cycle where such "art" just fuels other african american's anger, frustration, and nothing ever goes anywhere... Rappers talking shit about education, getting a job, well that's fucking retarded. How come all the indian, asian, mexican, and white kids all want to grow up to be accountants, lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc... and all this culture makes kids think they are gonna be sports stars and rappers?

The black middle class is what is going to save the rest of the african american community, but I get this feeling, that once you leave the ghetto, you take off at full speed and never look back... The inner city has been abandoned by all!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about saying rap is bad because it isn't even music and it SUCKS.  That better?

thats funny, one of the reasons I switched from rock to hip hop was because it was far more complex musically than most of the shit played on rock stations.  While mainstream rap has pretty simple beats, alot of underground hip hop is produced by DJs (like RJD2) who make really great beats which include a large variety of instruments, sampling, mixing, etc, etc.  Nowadays most rock sounds like primates banging things together.  Don't get me wrong, I still love punk rock with its 3 tab magic, but some of the shit DJs make is so good, I don't even need the rapping half the time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted: The black middle class is what is going to save the rest of the african american community, but I get this feeling, that once you leave the ghetto, you take off at full speed and never look back... The inner city has been abandoned by all!
Yep. Professional blacks turn their back on the ghetto. They worked hard to get out of there so they don't want to waste any time, effort, money going back and dealing with ghetto people!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted: The black middle class is what is going to save the rest of the african american community, but I get this feeling, that once you leave the ghetto, you take off at full speed and never look back... The inner city has been abandoned by all!
Yep. Professional blacks turn their back on the ghetto. They worked hard to get out of there so they don't want to waste any time, effort, money going back and dealing with ghetto people!

There's a saying that applies here:  "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with flees".  Why associate with those having self destructive character and life style?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#15]
HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE NAPS???  NAPS ARE GREA..

oh rap.  yeah fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bingo.

Getting a job is succumbing to the white man's social order. If you're black and you get a job, you're an Uncle Tom.

It's true.
But if you stay un-employed and a slave to others (welfare) thats keeping it real.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
thats funny, one of the reasons I switched from rock to hip hop was because it was far more complex musically than most of the shit played on rock stations.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thats funny, one of the reasons I switched from rock to hip hop was because it was far more complex musically than most of the shit played on rock stations.

you know I was gonna come up with an actual response to that, but I realized I can't change somebody ignorant who wants to be like that.  It's like detoxing someone hooked on coke who won't stop smoking crack.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

thats funny, one of the reasons I switched from rock to hip hop was because it was far more complex musically than most of the shit played on rock stations.  While mainstream rap has pretty simple beats, alot of underground hip hop is produced by DJs (like RJD2) who make really great beats which include a large variety of instruments, sampling, mixing, etc, etc.  Nowadays most rock sounds like primates banging things together.  Don't get me wrong, I still love punk rock with its 3 tab magic, but some of the shit DJs make is so good, I don't even need the rapping half the time.

Repeat after me...

A turntable is not a musical instrument...

It's kind'a in the same catagory as playing a wash board, spoons, comb and piece of paper, etc.

It makes for an amusing sound (then again, so is playing armpit music), but it should never be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your saying that Hip Hop is Musically Complex?

Man, a bunch of idiots sitting around stoned off there ass with a kilo of blow ten feet away and a mixing board, someone elses score whith which they intend to manipulate is not music. It's shit. I can not pick out a discernable instrument in Rap or Hip Hop, just a bunch of scratchy, overloaded bass, shitty ass music. Thats it.

If you wanna here music - real music. Try the likes of James Taylor, John Lennon, Mozart, and any of the other figures of classical or modern folk music. Hell, even listen to the rock bands of the 80's. Yeah its loud, but at least they use instruments.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#21]
another reason for concealed carry
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Guess what?

There's a message board for all their hard working fans...

forums1.sonymusic.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=8581093&f=96710189

Here's a post from one of their lovely members....in response to someone calling them the "N" word...

"you pussy ass peckawood bitch, i bet you dont talk that shit around us.
i wish you pasty face ass was here right now.
i would shove a hot poker in your dickhole.
i got 2 of your people in my basement you filty, slimy ass cracka. hah hah.
everyday i go down and electrozap them (ect).
very high frequency waves, bitch!! i got them hos on chains. theyre so insane and hungry that i fed them a 22 kkk member. they actually ate that poison!!
im a female and i would love to rip you apart yo pig ass apart. go take yo stanky ass back to the caucus mountains
beeeoootch"

Now wasn't that sweet?  Don't you wish you had a hot mama that talked like that????

I know I'm sure going to brush up on my ebonics so I can talk trash like that.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I like watching rap videos.  It give me motivation to CCW.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Here's a post from one of their lovely members....in response to someone calling them the "N" word...

Man, I'm trying to sign up there but the validation page won't load.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#25]
We interrupt this rap discussion with a brief announcement.

I like some rap too, but this is what I am listening to at the moment.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#26]
[MLK] I have a dream... I have a dream that little white children and little black children will get together and burn all their f---in' rap CD's..."[/MLK]

I don't simply dislike Rap... I hate it with a passion.  Toss Hip-Hop in there with it.

But don't hang that racist BS on me... I keep CD's and tapes of Sam & Dave, The Temptation, The Four Tops, B. B. King, and other fine black artists in my car and home stereo gear going most of the time.  I don't hate black music or black people...

I just hate RAP and HIP-HOP.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

www.kitrontech.com/covers/d70de10f.jpeg

I thought they had gone by the wayside...hmmm...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Rap isn't music.

What "instruments" do these "artists" play?

I thought so.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Instruments?  They don't play any instruments.  They steal other people's music (this is called remix), mix in some electronic drum effects, scratch up a perfectly good LP on a turntable, splice in that "weeeee" sound that sounds like a pig squealing, and lay in their crap, I mean rap vocals over that.  No musicians involved at all.

Then they make a video with black chicks very scatily clad and wiggling their butts, while the "rappers" make threatening gestures and wear lots of "bling" while standing in front of very expensive cars that the purchasers of their rap CD's will never be able to buy in a gazillion years of selling crack on street corners.

Then they call each other n-----, refer to their sisters and girlfriends as "bitches" and "hos" while complaining about the white man "dissin'" them.

That, my friends, is the rap recording business.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Whenever I hear someone blasting rap on a car stereo I drown them out with the Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, or Joy Division.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

if your education of rap is based off what you heard from parties and passing cars in philly then your still pretty ignorant on its different forms.  If I formed my opinion on rock or country based on my exposure to what hit of the week is being blasted on the radio, I'd probably go insane and listen to hip hop exclusively.  Instead my opinions have been formed after keeping an open mind and exploration of all different musics forms.  Don't pigeon hole yourself.

So now I am pidgeon-holed?
Bullshit.
I listen to many forms of music:
Classical (Handel is a favorite) Rhythm and Blues (Stevie Ray!) , Dance music (Will Smith and Beyonce are great for when I feel the need to shake my tush), Rock, Alternative, Southern Fried Rock (Kansas) , classics (Lois Armstrong, if you're looking for more color in there)  The list is endless...
I have not pidgeonholed myself. I simply don't think Rap is music.
And I don't need an "education" of something that denegrates women and glorifies crimes to know I don't like it.

FTR: I don't carewhat color the rapper is: Eminem is an untalented piece of work as well

Well its good that we can agree on one thing, Eminem does suck

Mmanwitgun

OK, we'll take his word for this.

Music can get us in touch with our feelings and emotions, love or passion, for instance.  I guess a lot of the early rap was getting people in touch with their anger, rage and hate.  Guess maybe you have to acknowledge it before you can get over it.  Some of this however was psychologically debilitating when it lost it's focus and demeaned women in general.  That's the part I don't get.

Actually I'm curious if you could give us a favorite rap song and artist and maybe link the lyrics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Wow.

And these are the heroes of a new generation.

Not my generation
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Wow.

And these are the heroes of a new generation.

Not my generation, and Im 21.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I just ordered another 500 rnds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.kitrontech.com/covers/d70de10f.jpeg

I thought they had gone by the wayside...hmmm...

Nope. New album and even a new tour in the works.

Very active and loyal fan base.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

<still in hijack mode because rap still sucks>
Do they still have the Floyd sound?? Hubby likes Floyd and I really am getting sick of the same songs over and over...this may be enuf to aid the "fix" and help me stay sane!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#37]
T-Shirt Hell just released this new shirt, seems to fit the topic.

Clicky
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't mean to be racist, but I feel that this kind of music is unintelligent.

I like Motown, the music that was made in the 60's and 70's.  When you look at Motown, you see that their lyrics are about love, and the music is clean(free of profanity, slurs, and general degradation.)

Today's rap/hip-hop, is dirty, filled with songs about killing, and filled with language that degrades ladies, along with other groups.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#39]
tag for home
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they still have the Floyd sound?? Hubby likes Floyd and I really am getting sick of the same songs over and over...this may be enuf to aid the "fix" and help me stay sane!

Pink floyd? I never really associated the two, but yeah, they still have a very distinctive style.

FWIW... I keep hearing that after the reuniting show for Live 8, Floyd will be releasing another album.

I am not holding my breath though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#41]
message sent telling sony how disgusted i am its horrid that they destroy the minds of  our teens with this trash
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Kinda makes wish they try a home invasion on me

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]
kill the whitey!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#44]
i couldnt help myself. so i signed up. africa has good chicken!!! why dont you go there and raise the roof????

oh boy im laughin it up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Master Shake: " I dont know, all that rap music is, is clicks and whistles."
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Rap sucks big huge donkey cock.
A bunch of fucking lazy shiftless no musical ability "sample" stealing unoriginal fucktards.
Without the drums of John Henry Bonham or the bass of John Paul Jones there would be no "rap" sound.
The latest thing is for the shitstains to steal the opening riff or first few bars and the rythem of 80's rock music, rapperize it and ass-rape it into some piece of shit rap "song".
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Only fucktards with no musical ability or originality sample music.
Fucking stupid assfucked rappers are listening to music recorded by John Mellencamp that's been assfucked rapperized and think it's "original".
Fucktard shitstains.

Quoted:
sampling, mixing, etc, etc.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Whenever I hear someone blasting rap on a car stereo I drown them out with the Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, or Joy Division.

same here, but it's Conaway Twitty, Hank Sr., Kitty Wells, Roy Acuff, etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pink floyd? I never really associated the two, but yeah, they still have a very distinctive style.

FWIW... I keep hearing that after the reuniting show for Live 8, Floyd will be releasing another album.

I am not holding my breath though.

<still hijacking, rap still suck, no Deej...you can hate a music genre and not be racist: I hate musical theatre and I don't hate actors )

Yah...their first release had a VERY Pink Floyd sound (I'll have to dig it out to remember the name)
If they do release a new one, at least it'd be SOMETHING different
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I was trying to not sound racist Playmore!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top