Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
"Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength."

My favorite philosopher,
Eric Hoffer.

Man I like that, and the roomie's quote too. (said that before)

"An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips."---God
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Never interrupt an enemy while he is making a mistake----- Napoleon
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag... I have to SERIOUSLY edit out some of the lesser quotes, and "catagorize" a bit...

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay... I cut it down from 16 pages to 8.... So I'll put the non-queer related quotes in the first post - and the queer ones in the second post. (4 Pages each) what can I say? Queers seem to be more clever

Quotes on Firearms or other weaponry

Reread that pesky first clause of the Second Amendment. It doesn't say what any of us thought it said. What it says is that infringing the right of the people to keep and bear arms is treason. What else do you call an act that endangers "the security of a free state"? And if it's treason, then it's punishable by death. I suggest due process, speedy trials, and public hangings. - L. Neil Smith

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", M. K. Gandhi, page 372 "Recruiting Campaign" www.mahatma.org.in/books/showbook.jsp?id=384&link=bg&book=bg0001&lang=en

Gun Control: The theory that a gay man found dead on a fence post in Wyoming, is somehow morally superior to a gay man carrying a concealed handgun. ~Anon

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book", 1774-1776

Congress have no power to disarm the militia.  Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people"  --Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

"Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est" (A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands")               ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quotes: Political

When citizens fear their government you have tyranny. When government fears its citizens you have freedom. -Thomas Jefferson

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can exist only until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. - Alexander Fraser Tytler (later Lord Alexander Fraser Woodhouslee), in "The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic," published 1776.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.                                -Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President (1858-1919)

"If you're not just a little uncomfortable with your position, it isn't radical enough"                          
Writer -- L. Neil Smith

"What is ominous is the ease with which some people go from saying that they don't like something to saying that the government should forbid it. When you go down that road, don't expect freedom to survive very long." -THOMAS SOWELL

"It doesn't matter who's sitting in that office in peacetime or wartime; that person doesn't have papal infallibility...because that's just a way to keep people enslaved to slogans, a way to keep you not participating in your own democracy."  --Janeane Garofalo, US News & World Report, March 25, 2002

"Two men have no more natural right to exercise any kind of authority over one, than one has to exercise the same authority over two. A man's natural rights are his own, against the whole world; and any infringement of them is equally a crime; whether committed by one man, or by millions; whether committed by one man, calling himself a robber, (or by any other name indicating his true character), or by millions calling themselves a government." - Lysander Spooner

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." --C. S. Lewis (1898-1963)

If a Nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was, and what will never be. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quotes on Religions

"He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

It is now quite lawful for a Catholic woman to avoid pregnancy by resorting to mathematics, though she is still forbidden to resort to physics or chemistry. - H. L. Mencken

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a car. - Laurence J. Peter

Concerning the Pope's claim that homosexuality is "unnatural". Perhaps the Pope is suggesting that it lies beyond the scope of "normal" human behavior. If so, this has uncomfortable implications for an association of old men who wear dresses, hear voices and practice ritual cannibalism. Self-enforced celibacy is all but unknown among other animal species. If any sexual behavior is out of tune with the natural world, it is surely that of the priesthood. ~ George Monbiot

Quotes on Morality

‘When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice iin a contemptible struggle. ~Edmund Burke  [Translated: ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.’. ~Edmund Burke]

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him. -T.Jefferson

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."    ~ Thomas Jefferson

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Can it be supposed that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, the most important of the code, will respect the less important and arbitrary ones, which can be violated with ease and impunity, and which, if strictly obeyed, would put an end to personal liberty — so dear to men, so dear to the enlightened legislator — and subject innocent persons to all the vexations that the guilty alone ought to suffer? Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. They ought to be designated as laws not preventative but fearful of crimes, produced by the tumultuous impression of a few isolated facts, and not by thoughtful consideration of the inconveniences and advantages of a universal decree."  ~  Cesare Beccaria of Milan, founder of criminology - 18th-century scholar

Quotes Misc...

"The battles that count aren't the ones for gold medals. The struggles within yourself are where it's at." --Jesse Owens

"Most people are as happy as they choose to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny." -- Isaac Asimov

Golf is a walk - spoiled. ~ Mark Twain

That which does not kill me, makes me stronger. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, The Twilight of the Idols (1899)

But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Friedrich Nietzsche, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Chapter 29

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

There is a theory that states that if anyone discovers exactly why the universe is here and what it is for, it will instantly be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory that states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams

You have to know the past to understand the present. - Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"That's one of the good things about maturity: All of a sudden your brain cells slowly seep back into the cranial chamber and kind of go, 'Oh yeah,' and you're not being ruled by some guy with a German army helmet." — Clint Eastwood on not thinking with one's crotch, in Issue 746 (11 November, 1997) of The Advocate

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943  

640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981  

Two wrongs don't make a right... but they do make an even. ~ Kacer

Quotes on Quotes

A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. - Lord Peter Wimsey (Just curious, does this bring to mind someone on this board initials: "Belloc"? )

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Quotes on Intelligence

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. - Benjamin Franklin

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams

Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds.- Albert Einstein

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science, section 41

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Name the greatest of all the inventors. Accident. - Mark Twain
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Queer Quotes

Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common. - Dorothy Parker

I have never known anyone who took great exception to homosexuals...that there wasn't something drastically wrong with that very person himself." - Richard Burton

The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. ~Lynn Lavner

My lesbianism is an act of Christian charity. All those women out there praying for a man, and I'm giving them my share. ~Rita Mae Brown

You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ~Barry Goldwater

Homosexuality is god's way of insuring that the truly gifted aren't burdened with children. ~Sam Austin

Isn't it a violation of the Georgia sodomy law for the Supreme Court to have its head up its ass? ~Letter to Playboy magazine, February 1987

No government has the right to tell its citizens when or whom to love. The only queer people are those who don't love anybody. ~Rita Mae Brown, speech, 28 August 1982

You could move. ~Abigail Van Buren, "Dear Abby," in response to a reader who complained that a gay couple was moving in across the street and wanted to know what he could do to improve the quality of the neighborhood

War. Rape. Murder. Poverty. Equal rights for gays. Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting? ~The Value of Families

If time and space are curved, where do all of the straight people come from? ~Author Unknown

The first time you wake up in the morning and the person in bed next to you is the same sex as you are, then you are political. ~ Rhonda R. Rivera

Anita Bryant like Anita hole in the head. ~Graffiti

The radical right is so homophobic that they're blaming global warming on the AIDS quilt. ~Dennis Miller

Jesse Helms and Newt Gingrich were shaking hands congratulating themselves on the introduction of an antigay bill in Congress. If it passes, they won't be able to shake hands, because it will then be illegal for a prick to touch an asshole. ~Judy Carter

Drag is when a man wears everything a lesbian won't. ~Author Unknown

I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant. ~Paul Newman

I am reminded of a colleague who reiterated "all my homosexual patients are quite sick" - to which I finally replied "so are all my heterosexual patients." ~Ernest van den Haag, psychotherapist

For a long time I thought I wanted to be a nun. Then I realized that what I really wanted to be was a lesbian. ~Mabel Maney

If male homosexuals are called "gay," then female homosexuals should be called "ecstatic." ~Shelly Roberts      

The one bonus of not lifting the ban on gays in the military is that the next time the government mandates a draft we can all declare homosexuality instead of running off to Canada. ~Lorne Bloch

Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture or death say they are afraid of homosexuals. Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be used as weapons. ~Letter to the editor, The Advocate

Straight Americans need... an education of the heart and soul. They must understand - to begin with - how it can feel to spend years denying your own deepest truths, to sit silently through classes, meals, and church services while people you love toss off remarks that brutalize your soul. ~Bruce Bawer, The Advocate, 28 April 1998

What are you trying to protect heterosexual marriages from? There isn't a limited amount of love in Iowa. It isn't a non-renewable resource. If Amy and Barbara or Mike and Steve love each other, it doesn't mean that John and Mary can't. ~Ed Fallon

I get sick of listening to straight people complain about, "Well, hey, we don't have a heterosexual-pride day, why do you need a gay-pride day?" I remember when I was a kid I'd always ask my mom: "Why don't we have a Kid's Day? We have a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, but why don't we have a Kid's Day?" My mom would always say, "Every day is Kid's Day." To all those heterosexuals that bitch about gay pride, I say the same thing: Every day is heterosexual-pride day! Can't you people enjoy your banquet and not piss on those of us enjoying our crumbs over here in the corner? ~Rob Nash

My mom blames California for me being a lesbian. "Everything was fine until you moved out there." "That's right, Mom, we have mandatory lesbianism in West Hollywood. The Gay Patrol busted me, and I was given seven business days to add a significant amount of flannel to my wardrobe. ~Coley Sohn

Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another. ~Homer

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein

There is just one life for each of us: our own. ~Euripides

Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth. ~Benjamin Disraeli

If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise. ~Johann von Goethe

Is life not a hundred times too short for us to stifle ourselves. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

The plague of mankind is the fear and rejection of diversity: monotheism, monarchy, monogamy and, in our age, monomedicine. The belief that there is only one right way to live, only one right way to regulate religious, political, sexual, medical affairs is the root cause of the greatest threat to man: members of his own species, bent on ensuring his salvation, security, and sanity. ~Thomas Szasz (I added the bold emphasis)

“The first person I told that I was marching was my father. He said to me, ‘But, Cybill, they might think you’re one.’ And I said, ‘Who cares?’” — Cybill Shepherd, at the Gay and Lesbian March on Washington, 25 April, 1993.

“If God dislikes gays so much, how come he picked Michelangelo, a known homosexual, to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling while assigning Anita [Bryant] to go on television and push orange juice?” — Mike Royko, syndicated columnist.

“I don’t know, darling — he never sucked my cock.” — Tallulah Bankhead, on being asked if a certain acquaintance of hers was gay.

“If you removed all of the homos and homo influence from what is generally regarded as American culture, you would be pretty much left with ‘Let’s Make a Deal.’” — Fran Lebowitz

“My aim is to have an all-gay sitcom someday, with heterosexuals as token guest stars. Let them be the next-door neighbors for a change.” — Harvey Fierstein

“Heterosexual men have an annoying habit of overestimating their own attractiveness.” — Joseph Steffan, expelled from the U.S. Naval Academy for admitting he is gay (and eventually commissioned by order of a federal court)

"I don't think homosexuality is a choice. Society forces you to think it's a choice, but in fact, it's in one's nature. The choice is whether one expresses one's nature truthfully or spends the rest of one's life lying about it." ~Marlo Thomas quotes (US actress, b.1937)

"It's still -- the day that some twelve or thirteen year-old boy or girl realizes that they're gay and their next thought isn't suicide that will be the day that we can all just stop thinking about coming out. It's still very important." ~ Kate Clinton on coming out of the closet. Bay Windows, Online: Oct 4, 2001

"Are you a lesbian?" - a male heckler
"Are you my alternative?" - Florynce Kennedy

"It [my being gay] was the worst-kept secret in rock 'n' roll. The majority of the media knew. I wanted to share it with the public. ... This was something I wanted to finally get out of my system, mostly for myself. Coming out of the closet, for a gay man, is a freeing moment of truth. To stand on a platform as a successful musician with a tremendous career, it's a success story no matter how you look at it. And it takes me away from the scenario of where's the girlfriend." --Rob Halford, former lead singer of the heavy-metal band Judas Priest, to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, May 10.

"Let's face it, everything filters out from the gay community first. Gay people are always far more along with things than the rest of the world. ... The gay community and the dance community are the ones who really latched onto us and made us who we are. With 'Conga', it was the gay clubs that made it a hit before anyone else and took it to the top." --Singer Gloria Estefan to Chicago's Windy City Times, May 21.

Men and women, women and men. It will never work. ~ Erica Jong

How did you first know that you were gay...what did you feel? Apparently, another girl. ~ Suzanne Westenhoefer

I didn't choose [to be gay] - I was chosen! Are you serious? I get to be queer? Oh, thank you. I didn't even fill out the application, I am soooo thrilled. No, I did. I bought the ticket, I scratched it off ... Look, I'm a lesbian! I won! ~ Suzanne Westenhoefer

We do not recruit. We can only impress. ~ Marga Gomez

[Refusing heterosexual sex:] I've never tried communism, but I know I wouldn't like that. It's the same thing. Or grits. ~ Matt Mateo, in The Opposite of Sex
It is for the teenagers who can be hours away from slitting their wrists that I am out. ~ Courtney Wilson

Would one of you old queens get this old queen a drink? ~ Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, to her personal staff

Without them we'd have to go self-service. ~ Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, on being urged not to hire gay men as servants

I spent my whole childhood going, "Oh my God... All right, fine. I may be attracted to women, but I can't be a lesbian. I like Laura Ashley polished cottons! And I throw like a girl! And I cry for no apparent reason all the time! Oh my God, I'm a gay man!" ~ Vickie Shaw

It's always Leviticus. "Thou shalt not lie with man as with woman." Well, I don't. ~ Maggie Cassella

Amid this whole uproar [over gays in the military], the most apt comment I heard was on my local eleven o'clock TV news when they interviewed a woman on the street. She said, "I don't understand somethin'. These guys are supposed to travel all over the world, live in trenches, sleep in mud, and walk over minefields. But they can't take some guy lookin' at 'em?" ~ Sara Cytron and Harriet Malinowitz, Take My Domestic Partner... Please!

It's you straights who have all the special rights. You straights have the special right to marry. You straights have the special right to be in the military, go out on a date with the person you love, talk about it the next day, and not get kicked out for it. You straights have the special right not to be prevented from visiting your loved one in the hospital.... To say that gays and lesbians are asking for special rights is the height of lunacy. ~ Elijah Elders

Anyone who thinks that love needs to be cured has not experienced enough of it in their own lives. ~ Joan Garry

Okay, yes, there is a homosexual agenda, okay? There's just two things on it:
1) don't get killed;
2) a decent brunch. That's it! ~ Elvira Kurt

Indeed, Miss Manners has come to believe that the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the love lives of strangers and those who do not.  ~ Miss Manners (Judith Martin), Miss Manners Rescues Civilization

Someday, I want to go to this town in Michigan called Dyke. Every year, all the women on their way to the Michigan Womyn's Festival make a pilgrimage to Dyke to have their picture taken at the Dyke city-limits sign... Apparently, the citizens of Dyke don't appreciate this yearly pilgrimage... If they don't want us to visit, just change the name of the town. Change it to "Uptight Straight White Guy" - we'll stay away. ~ Sabrina Matthews

Wherever it has been established that it is shameful to be involved with sexual relationships with men, that is due to evil on the part of the rulers, and to cowardice on the part of the governed. ~ Plato

In high school, while your children were doing what kids that ages should be doing, mine labored over a suicide note, drafting and redrafting it to be sure his family knew how much he loved them. My sobbing 17-year-old tore the heart out of me as he choked out that he just couldn't bear to continue living any longer, that he didn't want to be gay and that he couldn't face a life without dignity. You have the audacity to talk about protecting families and children from the homosexual menace, while you yourselves tear apart families and drive children to despair. I don't know why my son is gay, but I do know that God didn't put him, and millions like him, on this Earth to give you someone to abuse.  ~ Sharon Underwood

Sara Jane Moore got life for missing Gerald Ford! ~ A courtroom spectator, after Dan White got two years for assassinating Harvey Milk and George Moscone

They keep saying "Marriage has been between a man and a woman for thousands of years." That's not an argument, that's a temper tantrum. ~ Anonymous

When a straight couple's relationship fails, it's because of his/her drinking, inability to commit, infidelity, and so on. In other words, a straight couple's relationship fails because of personal flaws, not because its participants are heterosexual. But when a gay relationship fails, "they" say it's because gay relationships inherently can't work. Call this double standard what it is: a crock of homophobic crap. ~ Kenneth Hanes, The Gay Guy's Guide to Love

I was at NY Pride once and a Bible-belter actually waved his Bible at me ... and yelled, "Shame on you!" I looked right at him and said, "Shame on you for wearing that tie with that shirt!" ~ Alan Lutton

I was performing at a comedy club and when I said I'm a lesbian, a guy in the audience yelled out, "Can I watch?" I said, "Watch me what? Fix my car?"  ~ Sabrina Matthews

If they don't want us in the military, then I say that straight men can't be florists and straight women can't be UPS drivers. ~ Danny Williams

If all lesbians suddenly turned purple today, society would be surprised at the number of purple people in high places. ~ Sidney Abbott & Barbara Love, Sappho was a right-on woman, 1972

There are some homosexuals whom we would do well to take seriously. ~ Robertson Davies, The Manticore

Following me [onto a bus] was a class of small children around first or second grade. This entire class took up most of the bus, so I sat at the back with a few of the kids. There were two boys who were back there, and one of the boys was taunting the other one, "You like boys, you like boys!" The boy who was being taunted pouted and then glared, "My gramma says it's okay to like boys." What? Way to go, Gramma! And then a bunch of other kids got caught up in the conversation. I thought they were going to be picking on the boy too, but no, they joined his side! "My uncle likes boys!" "My sister likes girls." "My uncle likes boys and his boyfriend brings me cookies!!" and so on and so on. The teacher just smiled and sat back, letting them handle it. At that moment, even if just for a moment, I realized that life really isn't that bad. ~ "editinggod," posted on the Internet
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
^^^ That's gay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Can it be supposed that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, the most important of the code, will respect the less important and arbitrary ones, which can be violated with ease and impunity, and which, if strictly obeyed, would put an end to personal liberty — so dear to men, so dear to the enlightened legislator — and subject innocent persons to all the vexations that the guilty alone ought to suffer? Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. They ought to be designated as laws not preventative but fearful of crimes, produced by the tumultuous impression of a few isolated facts, and not by thoughtful consideration of the inconveniences and advantages of a universal decree.

Cesare Beccaria, father of modern criminology, 1764.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
^^^ That's gay.

NAPALM SON!!!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top