Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
So, I wonder what goes into creating a "phantom" police force. Did they gather SSNs from the obituaries or something? They would have had to make up active service dates, birthdays, addresses... entire identities.

How could they do all that, over an extended period of time, with out anyone noticing?

Did they follow up with the "coup de grace" by filing for income tax returns on these phony people?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Did anybody see the movie "the Big Easy"? Dennis Quaid a film about crooked cops....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
can we officialy throw LA out of the south?

Comeon, every good campsite has a latrine.

Exactly.  I am in Baton Rouge, and it is fine here.  New Orleans has acted like its own "state" for many years.  And the State of LA has known that NOLA has been corrupt for many years.  It was just determined many years ago that it was a lost cause.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The regular cops can't do this... this has to go all the way to the very top, and has to have cooperation of a lot of people.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Did the money to pay for the non-existent cops come from the bill passed under Clinton to put 100,000 new cops on the street?

Wasn't the federal AWB part of that same bill?

Did a corrupt Democratic President enable a corrupt Democratic city to steal from the Federal Government?

Is this still going on in other corrupt Democrat controlled cities?

Steve
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Well LA and NO politicians were whining that the Federal Govt didn't get involved fast/heavily enough------------------------I wonder if they will embrace Federal involvement now...?

AFIRMATIVE ACTION-----It's good for America and good for Americans...!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not in my wildest dreams have i ever imagined the shit would get this deep in NO.
Unfuckingbelivable
Matt

Obviously, you do not know much about LA/NO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did anybody see the movie "the Big Easy"? Dennis Quaid a film about crooked cops....

Yeah, the movie laughed off the endemic corruption like it was a big joke, just how things work in NO.

I had a boss from that area.  He said how he became interested in politics there after hearing stories about the payoff, paper bags full of cash left on council members' doorsteps.

No outrage or disgust or impulse to reform; just avarice and wondering how to get a piece of the action.  That is New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Outstanding.  Say what you want about him and how he made a few gun owners feel villified, but he did get the terrorists in a very short time.  

Bullshit. Moose didn't get anybody. Local citizenry and the feds did. All Moose did was send his resources off chasing windmills for a couple of weeks.

There was an article about how PISSED the LEOs were when they found out
moose had an eyewitness at the first scene placing a suspicious black guy at the scene
but, he told them to be looking for a white guy driving a van, what a tool
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the movie laughed off the endemic corruption like it was a big joke, just how things work in NO.

I had a boss from that area.  He said how he became interested in politics there after hearing stories about the payoff, paper bags full of cash left on council members' doorsteps.

No outrage or disgust or impulse to reform; just avarice and wondering how to get a piece of the action.  That is New Orleans.

Next to Houston and my home town I have spent more time in NO than any other city
the residents have always talked\laughed about their corrupt politicians and that the levee WOULD
break one of these days when a big storm made a direct hit and "wash us all away"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Unbelievable......

But not.  

They should just blow the fuckin levees in place, and call that entire shithole done.

Let Mother Nature reclaim what she seems to want back anyway.....

*shakes head*

dude....THINK about that for just one second.

DO YOU REALLY WANT ALL OF AMERICA'S FILTH COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU????

Face it, NOLA is America's toilet.  It's where the lowest of the low and the filthiest of the filthy live.  It is a recepticle for HUMAN waste.  If it is not rebuilt, all of that filth is going to have to go SOMEWHERE.......and Detroit is pretty full.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So, I wonder what goes into creating a "phantom" police force. Did they gather SSNs from the obituaries or something? They would have had to make up active service dates, birthdays, addresses... entire identities.

How could they do all that, over an extended period of time, with out anyone noticing?

Did they follow up with the "coup de grace" by filing for income tax returns on these phony people?

I would guess that a lot of the "non-existant" officers are actually real people. They are getting paid for 40 hours of work a week and not assigned to show up anywhere, at anytime.

It wouldn't susrpise me if they find out that some of the fake officers, are political patronage type pay offs, not neccesarily directly related to the NOPD, some are higher ranking officers who either are collecting 2 checks for themselves, or who have family members collecting checks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:00:09 AM EDT
[#14]
That is awesome.

First blame FEMA, the President and now this comes to light.  Who's next?

Where was the General Accounting Office for the State?

Max
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Corruption Charges Surface In New Orleans Police Department

September 28, 2005 8:00 p.m. EST
Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter

New Orleans, Louisiana (AHN) - Fox News reports an investigation is
underway by the FBI as agents look into massive corruption on the state
and local levels in the New Orleans Police Department.
Police Chief Eddie Compass suddenly resigned on Tuesday asking media
interests to respect his right to privacy, but it appears that the
former New Orleans cop has a lot of explaining to do.
"It's pretty much always been known, but never openly acknowledged, that
NOPD's actual numbers were far below the "official" figure of 1500 -
1700," says the Fox News source.
The number of officers that actually are employed by the department are
around 900 to 1,000. The question now remains...where was all of that
salary money going to?
The FBI began investigating the New Orleans police who had abandoned
their post during Katrina and of the more than 500 screened so far,
84-percent don't exist.
"I served this department for 26 years and have taken it through some of
the toughest times of its history. Every man in a leadership position
must know when it's time to hand over the reins," says Compass at a news
conference.
The investigation is widening on Wednesday to include New Orleans Police
Foundation and Elodia Blanco for hiring practices as well.
Corruption was wide-spread during the Katrina aftermath as New Orleans
police officers were seen looting shopping centers and filling shopping
carts with shoes, clothing, and electronics.
Mayor Ray Nagin was also questioned about allowing a large number of
unnamed police officers to go to Las Vegas for rest and relaxation once
the military arrived to take over the city. But a problem for the mayor
rose when questioned who those officers were and how they could be
contacted. Nagin did not have specific names to give.
Several middle ranking police officers committed suicide after the
Katrina debacle, Nagin and Compass believe it was due to trauma and
exhaustion from the storm but officials are looking into whether or not
it might have been related to fear of being caught in a payroll scandal
where at least forty-three-percent of the payroll is unaccounted for.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Outstanding.  Say what you want about him and how he made a few gun owners feel villified, but he did get the terrorists in a very short time.  

I was at Blackwater during that investigation. The universal opinion of mr. Moose from the Virginia State Troopers that were there was that his cranium was firmly planted up his posterior.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So what are we doing?  We're practically air-dropping cash into New Orleans with little or no oversight.  Yeah, yeah, I heard G.W.B. say he was going to appoint watchdogs.  The problem is that once the money been stolen or spent inappropriately IT'S GONE!!!  We can cry and moan all we want, that money will never be seen again.  

Our tax money would be better spent on Caterpillar dozers and diesel to run them.

Don't you get it? That's how liberals work!

If anyone mentions restraint or fiscal responsibility in the midst of something like Katrina aftermath, they are immediately pilloried for being insensitve, cruel, heartless bastards who want to see people suffer just so they can save a buck.

Then when the money is stolen, squandered, or just plain lost, the liberals will come back and complain that there wasn't enough accountability while at the same time complaining that enough wasn't spent.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Corruption Charges Surface In New Orleans Police Department

September 28, 2005 8:00 p.m. EST
Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter

New Orleans, Louisiana (AHN) - Fox News reports an investigation is
underway by the FBI as agents look into massive corruption on the state
and local levels in the New Orleans Police Department.
Police Chief Eddie Compass suddenly resigned on Tuesday asking media
interests to respect his right to privacy, but it appears that the
former New Orleans cop has a lot of explaining to do.
"It's pretty much always been known, but never openly acknowledged, that
NOPD's actual numbers were far below the "official" figure of 1500 -
1700," says the Fox News source.
The number of officers that actually are employed by the department are
around 900 to 1,000. The question now remains...where was all of that
salary money going to?
The FBI began investigating the New Orleans police who had abandoned
their post during Katrina and of the more than 500 screened so far,
84-percent don't exist.
"I served this department for 26 years and have taken it through some of
the toughest times of its history. Every man in a leadership position
must know when it's time to hand over the reins," says Compass at a news
conference.
The investigation is widening on Wednesday to include New Orleans Police
Foundation and Elodia Blanco for hiring practices as well.
Corruption was wide-spread during the Katrina aftermath as New Orleans
police officers were seen looting shopping centers and filling shopping
carts with shoes, clothing, and electronics.
Mayor Ray Nagin was also questioned about allowing a large number of
unnamed police officers to go to Las Vegas for rest and relaxation once
the military arrived to take over the city. But a problem for the mayor
rose when questioned who those officers were and how they could be
contacted. Nagin did not have specific names to give.
Several middle ranking police officers committed suicide after the
Katrina debacle, Nagin and Compass believe it was due to trauma and
exhaustion from the storm but officials are looking into whether or not
it might have been related to fear of being caught in a payroll scandal
where at least forty-three-percent of the payroll is unaccounted for.

Link??? I am hoping there is some more coverage on this other than here at wARFcom.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:48:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does that article imply that there were around 241 ghost employees?  That's a good recurring payday for lots of folks if it does.  I wonder how many of the records will end up having vanished in the hurricane, flooding and fires?  This could get pretty entertaining.

The cops probably had a shredding and deleting party at central headquarters.

The banks cashing the checks, however, have excellent records.

Pat Rogers over at Tactical forums is a good guy. But one day he objected to my use of the phrase JBT while referring to a story about expanded search powers by the NOPD. He got quite upset.

I think my point has been made by Katrina.

NOPD stinks from the ground up. I am sure there are honest officers in the department who are fighting hard, but frankly I would urge them to resign and get out of dodge now. Talk to the FBI about every crooked thing you have ever seen.

NOPD needs to be completely reworked.

One has to wonder how potentially hundreds of officers who never existed get paid for work they never showed up to do, and how the leadership of the department never noticed all of this going on....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:50:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Makes me wonder how many ghost city employees there were, how many ghost levee workers and pump house guys, etc.

Nagin getting jail time would make me happy.

Methinks you are on to something.

If the police department was that silly, it seems very likely that many other city departments were just as silly, and that the legendary corruption of the NO city government could be on a scale unprecedented in American, hell even South American, history.

But what else can you expect when libbies are in charge?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Did the money to pay for the non-existent cops come from the bill passed under Clinton to put 100,000 new cops on the street?

Wasn't the federal AWB part of that same bill?

Dunno about that.

Did a corrupt Democratic President enable a corrupt Democratic city to steal from the Federal Government?

Yup. Dirty liberals are always looking out for one another until the indictments start.

Is this still going on in other corrupt Democrat controlled cities?
Steve

Without doubt. THAT is the truly scary part.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:55:40 AM EDT
[#22]
NOPD is the most corrupt department in the U.S.  -  like a 3rd world police dept. - some very dedicated personnel trying to do their duty, while their leaders and many coworkers undercut them at every turn.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think that Chief Moose has a golden opportunity here.  Truthfully, they need a chief from the outside who is already collecting a pension from somewhere else and who can hit the ground with a broom.  They probably have some decent officers but they need to clean up the act in a major way and start over.  My take on corruption that deep is that it is not just from the bottom up, but also from the top down.  No supervisor signs off on payroll for an employee who does not exist unless he is getting a cut of the take.

You mean this Chief Moose? He's already on the case and looking to kick some ass.

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/lootermoose.JPG

give me a friggin break shotar, I know you are an LEO, but come on, even you can't possibly believe that moose was competent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#24]
*bump*
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was at Blackwater during that investigation. The universal opinion of mr. Moose from the Virginia State Troopers that were there was that his cranium was firmly planted up his posterior.

Moose was police chief of Portland before he "moved on".
When I heard he was being employed in Maryland I was torn between feeling "couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people", and "how could they be THAT stupid".

When he was running the investigation into the shootings I suspected that we would still be getting people knocked off two years later.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moose was police chief of Portland before he "moved on".
When I heard he was being employed in Maryland I was torn between feeling "couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people", and "how could they be THAT stupid".

When he was running the investigation into the shootings I suspected that we would still be getting people knocked off two years later.

I know a few retired cops who worked for him.  They have all manner of not-so-nice things to say about him (thats where I first heard "Chief Bullwinkle" about ten years ago).  Even heard a secondhand story that he doesn't like white people.  Had all sorts of african art in his office.  Married to a white woman, as I recall.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well LA and NO politicians were whining that the Federal Govt didn't get involved fast/heavily enough------------------------I wonder if they will embrace Federal involvement now...?

AFIRMATIVE ACTION-----It's good for America and good for Americans...!

The Federal Government was there right away.  FEMA sent their ghost employees to help the ghost cops evacuate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Now that sounds like the old New Orleans to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#29]
IS Moose a Cheif in NOLA now?  I thought he was in Washington DC after he was chased out of Portland, Oregon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Does this actually make any sense?

Even heard a secondhand story that he doesn't like white people. Had all sorts of african art in his office. Married to a white woman, as I recall.

I'm not a Moose fan because I don't know him but what I do know is it's foolish to think he was anything more than a mouthpiece for the FBI to give the impression that the investigation was being controlled locally. You guys give him much to much credit.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Good 'ol ARFCOM
"We never let truth or facts get in the way of
an entertaining thread."

Any of you geniuses bother to cross check the
story?   If so, what have you found?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Good 'ol ARFCOM
an entertaining thread."

www.wdsu.com/news/2365292/detail.html

blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/28/071939.php

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1493191/posts is a CP from all headlines.com but the original has disappeared.  Most of the stories I have been finding are more about the 12 or so NOPD officers that are being looked at for looting.

Not alot out there actually.   The bulk of this seems to be getting whipped up be a Tony Snow broadcast.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good 'ol ARFCOM
an entertaining thread."

www.wdsu.com/news/2365292/detail.html

blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/28/071939.php

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1493191/posts is a CP from all headlines.com but the original has disappeared.  Most of the stories I have been finding are more about the 12 or so NOPD officers that are being looked at for looting.

Not alot out there actually.   The bulk of this seems to be getting whipped up be a Tony Snow broadcast.

At this point no one knows for sure but there is definitely a story behind the Chief's resignation.

If it walks like a duck....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think that Chief Moose has a golden opportunity here.  Truthfully, they need a chief from the outside who is already collecting a pension from somewhere else and who can hit the ground with a broom.  They probably have some decent officers but they need to clean up the act in a major way and start over.  My take on corruption that deep is that it is not just from the bottom up, but also from the top down.  No supervisor signs off on payroll for an employee who does not exist unless he is getting a cut of the take.

You mean this Chief Moose? He's already on the case and looking to kick some ass.

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/lootermoose.JPG

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Unbelievable......

But not.  

They should just blow the fuckin levees in place, and call that entire shithole done.

Let Mother Nature reclaim what she seems to want back anyway.....

*shakes head*

dude....THINK about that for just one second.

DO YOU REALLY WANT ALL OF AMERICA'S FILTH COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU????

Face it, NOLA is America's toilet.  It's where the lowest of the low and the filthiest of the filthy live.  It is a recepticle for HUMAN waste.  If it is not rebuilt, all of that filth is going to have to go SOMEWHERE.......and Detroit is pretty full.

Plenty of room down in Jersey!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top