Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How badly do you need to watch the episodes again for continuity?

And why don't they believe in "C" cups?

You don't need exposure to the series at all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How badly do you need to watch the episodes again for continuity?

And why don't they believe in "C" cups?

Although, if you havent seen the series, go back and watch it after you watch the movie.  Its much more fulfilling if you get the back story
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw it today, was really well done.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It was very good. Philosophically ambitious, even. The Alliance agent is an excellent villian, sort of a true believer Communist.

Though I wish Mal would get hep with the concept of a safety round when the bad guy is down.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen a single episode of the TV show but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Saw it- liked it. All the original cast and the character development of each is not quite what I expected. River's gung-fu is extra-ordinary! And that assassin fellow ain't no slouch either.

The characters were altered a bit from the way they were in the series.  Not in a bad way.. except for leaf boy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Really enjoyed the TV series and all the characters contributed to the overall theme of the show so the new direction was a bit of a surprise. 'Leaf in the wind' isn't the only shocka- the 'herder' was surprising too. The only other thing I missed was the weird camera focus angles and the background theme music but all the rest of stuff was there. Was kinda expecting a little Jubal Early (another interesting darkside character) but the assassin came thru much better than I thought he would from the previews. Enjoyed the movie and it goes into the DVD collection as soon as it is released.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw a sneek preview Wednesday.  It was not what I had expected, but was every bit as good as I had expected.  Excellent film, and (if it turns out that way) it was a helluva series finale.  Hopefully there will be another more sequels.  

The writing was crisp, the acting was excellent, some of the scenes were shocking, the special effects were well done and did not overpower the story.  I'll be seeing it again.  Probably more than once.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Great movie!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Going back for another show today.  It's still hard to believe that this show got cancelled in favor of more ContrivedRealityTV crap.

-Troy

That's because the bean counters won out over the creative-minded in a lot of cases.  Compared to quality sci-fi or dramatic / action /  sitcom programming, I'm told "reality" (yeah, right) programs are way cheaper.
But you knew that.

Headed to see Serenity in a hour or so.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe its just me but I thought there was too much action.  There wasnt enough time to let what had happened sink in really...and this is from someone who's seen the entire series at least 12 times
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Good flick. Sad ending; not like most movies where the good guys all win. A real shame there won't be a series following up the movie. Crap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Good flick. Sad ending; not like most movies where the good guys all win. A real shame there won't be a series following up the movie. Crap.

Sez who?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag.

Never saw the show but I plan on seeing the film, especially after reading these reviews.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw it tonight...just excellent.   I hated to see the whole "leaf on the wind" thing because that was one of my favorite characters, but it was an awesome movie.
Loved the whole bit with "I lost that nerve cluster in the war."  Mal kicks ass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, I saw it and have recommended it to everyone I ran into except the dickweed in the Lexus with his blue halogens in my rearview mirror.  He got a different recommendation

BTW, came home to a DS9 episode playing on the bxox, where Worf is kicking ass on a bunch of guys to gain freedom from some kind of captivity on a ship, got up to 7 of 7 wins, then it dawned on me - River kicked more ass in a few minutes .....

Kayla looks a lot hotter than in Firefly for some reason.

Best part: $6.75 a ticket (Matinee) & smuggled popcorn
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Kayla looks a lot hotter than in Firefly for some reason.

A) she is a few  years older?

b) being a movie they had better lenses?

4) she is about 20lb(?) less in the movie?  (she gained some weight for the character in the series)

q) better makup/hair department?

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Aw hell, will I be able to understand the movie without having seen the series?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Aw hell, will I be able to understand the movie without having seen the series?

Yes, infact the movie explaines the story background better than the series.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
more heartwrenching than the leaf part was what Zoe said in reaction, and how she said it.  never hear anything like that from her again i'll bet.  and you see Jayne hugging his mp-5 like a security blanket?  i love all of the little details that Whedon puts in his work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope, not going to go see it.

The theater in town is pretty crappy, but since they're the only theater in town, they can still charge $8/ticket.  I refuse to go there, and the movie, while probably good, isn't worth the gas money to drive an hour and a half to a better theater.

IF/WHEN it comes out on DVD, I'll end up buying it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Maybe its just me but I thought there was too much action.

That's one of the differences between TV and movies. A movie has to move right along and finish up in a couple hours. A TV series has about 20 one-hour episodes to play out the story, so you get all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, like "Objects in Space", extended character development, and long, involved plot lines.

It's too bad Whedon is transitioning to movies. I think his comparative advantage is in TV series. It's like Dickens going from writing novels to writing short stories.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't seen the series. Is it out on DVD? I'd like to see it before watching the movie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes it is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The theater in town is pretty crappy, but since they're the only theater in town, they can still charge $8/ticket.  I refuse to go there, and the movie, while probably good, isn't worth the gas money to drive an hour and a half to a better theater.

But if you go early to the matinee, it's not too bad. And by not waiting for the DVD, you help ensure the survival of this for a sequel & mayne more episodes.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Tag.

Never saw the show but I plan on seeing the film, especially after reading these reviews.

Then rent / buy the DVD's  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, what should I watch first, the film or dvds?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But if you go early to the matinee, it's not too bad. And by not waiting for the DVD, you help ensure the survival of this for a sequel & mayne more episodes.....

You don't understand how shitty this theater is.  They're the only game in town, and they know it, and they think that means they can get away with a sound system that hasn't been touched since the place was built in the 80s, a projection system with scratched up lenses, etc
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ok, what should I watch first, the film or dvds?

Go watch the film this weekend or next.   The DVDs you can see anytime, and the first two weekends of the film define it's success.   My opinon-- I think you'll enjoy it.  The film can as others said, stand on  its own without having seen the series.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Saw it tonight, loved it.  The movie had all the pluses that movies have over TV, better action, effects etc but the stuff that made the series good was still there (wasn't so with the X-files movies).

The only thing I wanted to get was a better version of the Ballad,

On an ironic note this morning I wnet to the range and saw someone with an AR180...told my wife about it and she had no clue.  Then Mal had one (dressed up to be sure) and I pointed it out.

ETA funny article on the weapons training for the cast

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't understand how shitty this theater is.  They're the only game in town, and they know it, and they think that means they can get away with a sound system that hasn't been touched since the place was built in the 80s, a projection system with scratched up lenses, etc

OK point taken.  And they may even not be making money at that rate.

OTOH The only theatre in a nearby town was pretty much a real estate investment, free standing in a mall lot.  The owner did let it just run down & eventaully close when development became attractive.  Same with their prior - the drive in, now a major housing development.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#35]
TAGGY
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Saw it tonight, loved it.  The movie had all the pluses that movies have over TV, better action, effects etc but the stuff that made the series good was still there (wasn't so with the X-files movies).

On an ironic note this morning I wnet to the range and saw someone with an AR180...told my wife about it and she had no clue.  Then Mal had one (dressed up to be sure) and I pointed it out.

from the article, "Adam Baldwin, who plays the mercenary Jayne, had the opposite feeling. "I thought it was fun. ... I've been comfortable with weapons for years."
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Compared to quality sci-fi or dramatic / action /  sitcom programming, I'm told "reality" (yeah, right) programs are way cheaper.
But you knew that.

Yes, sadly, I did.

Did I mention that I HATE "RealityTV"?

-Troy

I hate reality TV as well.  The only reality show I watched was "Combat Missions".  They had guns!  I've never even seen a single episode of any of the other reality TV crap.   Oh, and Serenity rocked!  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sez who?

From what I've seen, Whedon is committed to 3 movies, IF the studio wants them. Some sort of contractual arrangement with Fox about not doing another series for X number of years. Of course, Fox could renegotiate things if Serenity does well, but IMHO, FOX has a bunch of morons running it, and won't.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I'd like to see a continuation TV series, say, on Sci-Fi Channel, but who knows? I certainly have no reason now to watch Fox, as they don't broadcast the kind of shows I like. They used to.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sez who?

From what I've seen, Whedon is committed to 3 movies, IF the studio wants them. Some sort of contractual arrangement with Fox about not doing another series for X number of years. Of course, Fox could renegotiate things if Serenity does well, but IMHO, FOX has a bunch of morons running it, and won't.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I'd like to see a continuation TV series, say, on Sci-Fi Channel, but who knows? I certainly have no reason now to watch Fox, as they don't broadcast the kind of shows I like. They used to.

Yeah!  Ain't that the truth!  No Firefly, no John Doe, no Millennium, and no more X-Files!  

Did I forget anyone?  Oh, and no more Space: Above and Beyond.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#40]
dont forget married with children!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Could...not...hold...out - So I read some spoilers for the movie.
Seems that I don't agree with certain aspects of the movie and there are plenty of people who agree with me.

If you have not watched the TV series then what happens to certain characters is no big deal.
If you have watched the TV series and were waiting on more.....then you are......

It just went from a theater movie, skipped the HBO phase and went to Netflix rental.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Think I'll go see it again today.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Could...not...hold...out - So I read some spoilers for the movie.
Seems that I don't agree with certain aspects of the movie and there are plenty of people who agree with me.

If you have not watched the TV series then what happens to certain characters is no big deal.
If you have watched the TV series and were waiting on more.....then you are......

It just went from a theater movie, skipped the HBO phase and went to Netflix rental.

Go see it for a Matinee anyway. It's a fast-paced movie, faster than the TV show, just keeps going and going.
I've watched the entire series at least 4 times, and loved the movie, although the end was dissapointing, not because it wasn't well done, but because I didn't "approve" of the choices made.
go see it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Hubby and I went and saw it last night night,and we were talking about going and seeing it again when we walked out of the theater. We both realy liked it. I am not big on sci-fi. He bought the DVD's and totally hooked me. Which surprised him. I can't wait to see this one again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from the article, "Adam Baldwin, who plays the mercenary Jayne, had the opposite feeling. "I thought it was fun. ... I've been comfortable with weapons for years."

Well, I should hope Adam Baldwin would be comfortable with weapons.  He did after all play "Animal Mother" in Full Metal Jacket.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#46]
It was a great movie, take your girlfriend/wife/booty call with you. They get huggy during certain parts of the movie.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

"Yeah. I had to do archery," Morena Baccarin said about her courtesan character, Inara. "I really took to it, actually. I remember when we were shooting ... that scene came where I'm supposed to shoot one of the Reavers with an arrow, and the whole set is like, 'All right, let's clear the set. Only the people that need to be here have to be here. Everybody put on goggles.' All the camera guys have these hard hats on, and everybody is freaking out. And they gave me an 'X' to hit. Every time, I hit that 'X.' They were like, 'Ooh, OK!'"

that's retarded ... all that work for a shot that amounted to her pulling back a bow string for 1/2 second.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Compared to quality sci-fi or dramatic / action /  sitcom programming, I'm told "reality" (yeah, right) programs are way cheaper.
But you knew that.

Yes, sadly, I did.

Did I mention that I HATE "RealityTV"?

-Troy

I hate reality TV as well.  The only reality show I watched was "Combat Missions".  They had guns!  I've never even seen a single episode of any of the other reality TV crap.  

Give the Ultimate fighter series on Spike a try.  Every episode ends with a 3 round fight in the octagon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Excellent movie. Did not disappoint.

That said, stay away from Lord of War.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#50]
My perspective on it may be a little biased, but as a staunch fan of the series, I thought the movie was fantastic.  My only question (for the moment): What happened to the Alliance cruisers?  The big assed ships that look like a cluster of office buildings?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top