Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2001 7:51:11 PM EDT
i know the 500cc honda crusers is kinda a womans bike. but im wondering if i can get away with the 750 shadow ( i would think so). its a lot of $ to go up to 1100
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:57:53 PM EDT
You didn't really give any info on what you are planning to do on this motorcycle. I'll give you something to ponder though. Ever watch a motorcycle race with mixed classes on the track? Ever watch one when it was raining? What bikes were ahead in the rain? 1100 CCs is nice. So is learning how to shift a 500.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:58:00 PM EDT
750cc should be a good cruiser. It depends on how much the rider weighs too though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:05:18 PM EDT
What are you asking here? If you're small and can't put both feet flat on the ground with a larger bike and don't have a lot of experience, you're going to eventually drop it on yourself and that looks worse than riding a small bike. If you're looking to buy new, an 1100cc may cost notably more than a 750, but if you're going to end up getting the 1100 later anyway, it would be cheaper to get it. That presumes you can safely ride the larger bike. If you're a beginner, expect your first bike to be for learning, and you'll replace it later on once you're comfortable. Anyway, be more specific about what you're asking and you can get more help.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:08:31 PM EDT
I have a vintage Honda CB450 twin. It isn't a screamer, but gets me to where I want to go. This was my started bike, but just never replaced it. 750's are nice, also, but 2 more carbs you need to keep in sync. OSA
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:08:50 PM EDT
On one hand if your going to spend money on a new bike, you might as well get what you want. On the other hand, if your not riding in a group of guys with 1100's and worried about keeping up with them, then a 750 would be fine. If most of your riding is solo and you are just cruising then any size will do. If you ride with a passenger, or with a group then I would want the 1100. Basically what I'm saying is, take a realistic look at yourself and your intended riding, and make a decision based on that. Anyway you go you'll have fun so who cares!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:09:06 PM EDT
mattsd: I ride a '97 Yamaha Virago 750 (no longer made, last year was '97 ) and it's a great bike. 750cc bikes are great because they are at the lower end of full size, but yet light and nimble enough to handle well around town, short trips, etc. Low speed stability is much greater than with say a 1500cc or the like. Just don't buy a bike that feels small or cramped, as you will regret and want to later trade up. I really like Japanese cruisers, for the most part they are all reliable and are low maintenance. I like the 750 Shadows, nice bikes. One drawback for me on them is the fact that they are chain drive, which is messier and requires lubing and an occasional adjustment. Have you looked at the Yamaha V-Stars? The 650 V-Star is a nice ride for the money, about the same price as the Honda. It is also available in an 1100, but the price is higher. For 2002 they are gonna have a full dress 1100 V-Star with factory windshield, bags, and studded seat for a little over $8000. All the V-Stars are shaft drive. As for comaprison of a 750 Shadow vs. 1100, (or any other cruiser make) power wise it's mostly an increase in Torque, not horsepower. If you ride solo I think a 750 will serve you well. If you are gonna ride 2 up or take long trips, you would appreciate the added low end pull of a larger engine, and a little more room on the highway for extended periods of time. I ride solo 99% of the time, am 220 lbs. and my 750 serves me well as most of my rides are under 100 miles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:34:48 PM EDT
sorry i wasnt more specific. i weigh about 250. i would be alone a lot of the time, but not always. this isnt my first bike, i have a shitty old yahama 350. like a 1972. one thing is i would be taking it more than a hundred miles on ocassion. 300 mile trips might be a monthly occorance. BTW. im pretty sure the new shadows have shaft drive, at least thats what the site says.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:38:22 PM EDT
and i forgot, im 6'1'' so my feet touch the ground. find the 750 and 1100 shadows about equally comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 2:39:51 AM EDT
I work at a dealership and any of the new cruisers from 750 and up will work for you. There are some on the showroom right now that if I put side by side you wouldnt be able to pick out which one is the 750 or the 1100, etc. The new Honda 1800 is a super sweet bike. A little pricey. Any of the big four will work but I would stick with a Honda or Yamaha. Dave
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2001 3:37:19 AM EDT by black-guns]
Originally Posted By mattsd: sorry i wasnt more specific. i weigh about 250. i would be alone a lot of the time, but not always. this isnt my first bike, i have a shitty old yahama 350. like a 1972. one thing is i would be taking it more than a hundred miles on ocassion. 300 mile trips might be a monthly occorance. BTW. im pretty sure the new shadows have shaft drive, at least thats what the site says.
View Quote
Did you ever ride a shadow?....you didn`t say how tall, but i found the shadow 750 to be a little small after a while and starts to cause cramping etc...FOR ME that is....saw a real nice used 900 last year that i was thinking about.....after you get used to the big bikes......(ie 1100 yamaha)....you appreciate having them.....p.s. my old 750k`s were quicker than my buddy`s shadow also.....not sure why..................(just my 02 cts)
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:17:13 AM EDT
OK Matt...I am 6'6 and 270, I ride a '77 Honda 750-4. It is fine for me. A hundred miles is no problem. My friend has an 1100, I get about 10 more miles to the gallon than he does. And he is 60 lbs less. It is mostly flat here. For a two up for any distance I would go with the 1100 are near it. The 750 twin is a sweet bike. I looked at that and an 1100 and can not make up my mind. It would come down to money and how many long trips I do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:57:32 AM EDT
I'm definitely sold on Yamaha. I have a Road Star, and wifey has a V Star 1100. I started out several years ago on a 750 Virago. It served me well, until I bought an 1100 Virago and let wifey have the 750. We rode those all over the eastern U.S. for a couple years, and then started to drop a bit more serious coinage on new machines. We have done many 500+ mile days on our Yamahas, and have never been stranded. I don't know what your budget limit is, but the 1100 V Star is a great bike for the money. It doesn't compare to my 1600 Road Star, but it is IMO the finest 1100 cruiser on the market. Steer clear of the 650 V Star. Geared too low for much highway work. Look for a 2000 model to save a couple grand. 2000 is the first year of production. The motor, however, is the proven 1100 Virago motor with new covers to change the appearance. Bulletproof, so to speak. Here's what you want. [url]http://www.yamahausa.com/products/products.asp?lid=2&lc=mcy&rdir=1[/url] [img]http://www.yamahausa.com/products/mcy/500/vstar11_class_beauty2-01.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:11:24 AM EDT
No offence to all the people who ride japanese motorcycles, but dont waste your money on one!! The resale on them is terrible. You need to step up, and get a Harley Davidson. Make payments if you need to and if you want to trade it or sell it, you can do so 2 years later and gett your money back. I know this is true from trading my 99 Fatboy for a 01 Roadking. The market on HD is strong as ever. All you have to do is look in the cycle trader and see that!! Look at the japanese bike 3 and 4 years old and look how fast their value drops, then look at the HD's in the trader and see the difference. [beer]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:26:49 AM EDT
It does really depend on what kind of riding you intend to do. The differences between modern 750's and 1100's are minor, as far as size is concerned. Just look at the 650\1100 yamaha stars, and Honda's shadows. Let resale value be the last of your worries, if you intend to just ride the thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:32:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HighlandMac: No offence to all the people who ride japanese motorcycles, but dont waste your money on one!! The resale on them is terrible. You need to step up, and get a Harley Davidson. Make payments if you need to and if you want to trade it or sell it, you can do so 2 years later and gett your money back. I know this is true from trading my 99 Fatboy for a 01 Roadking. The market on HD is strong as ever. All you have to do is look in the cycle trader and see that!! Look at the japanese bike 3 and 4 years old and look how fast their value drops, then look at the HD's in the trader and see the difference. [beer]
View Quote
I'm a Harley fan also but there is a simple way to take advantage of the terrible depreciation on a bike from the big 3. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit and buy used. In 2-3 years a Jap bike will have experienced its most drastic drop in value. After that the depreciation line should flatten out to where the cost is worth the value you get in enjoying the bike. This may also work to your advantage by allowing more bike than you could afford new. As for size I'd say that at your size, a 750 is bare minimum, especially if you're looking at a Cruiser and might do some 2 up. Most sport bike guys could have their girl friends on board and not have 250 worth of rider, but 250 on crusier is acceptable (at least for a guy). [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:33:33 AM EDT
Resale needs to be the most important thing you concern yourself with if this is you first motorcycle. If you find you dont like it after 10-15K miles you are stuck with the damn thing. Even if you find you like riding it alot resale still has to be a huge concern because you may decide to get a bigger bike later. I have been in the car business for 8 years, the most important thing to be worried about absolutely is resale value. [beer]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2001 2:33:38 PM EDT by Rangemaster]
HighlandMac and Hipower have got it right both ways. RESALE=Harley-Davidson. 0% depreciation in three years. Mine is worth more now than when new. Expensive? Yes, but you get what you pay for, and forget the obsolete comments about oil leaks and reliability. That stopped back in about 1985 and has been improved upon every year. Or, a big 3 MFR. model after the big hit in depreciation.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:17:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2001 7:14:24 PM EDT by doctorfireant]
I recently purchased a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom. I am really pleased with the bike. Good price also! A friend of mine said you can never get a cycle that is too big. A V-Star 650 is nice, but the 1100 is worth the extra dollars. [img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/el/RO/xy/Fw34527[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:54:46 PM EDT
Size doesnt matter to much unless you want to go fasr in a straight line.My old bike was a gsxr 600 my new one is a gsxr 750 in the canyons i could push the 600 just as fast as the r1s or750s ex for the straits.Lots of times on my 600 i was ahead of the big bikes but i also raced them for while It all comes down to experience.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:52:44 PM EDT
I bought a Suzuki Intruder 800 last year, first bike I'd had for a few years. Just got back from Sturgis yesterday. Would highly recommend taking a look at them. 800cc, V twin, shaft drive, water cooled, think Bak still has one. Was faster than a friends 1100 Shadow ACE off the line and rollons, faster off the line than a Royal Star, got smoked by a Victory though. Rides pretty good 2 up, factory seat needs replaced for 80+ mile trips though. If I'd had the $$ I probably would have went bigger but I'm happy with what I have. In a couple years I'll sell the 800 and get something else, yes it won't have resale value but it also didn't cost that much. Here's some pics taken a while ago, added more chrome and accessories since http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292522851
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:27:12 PM EDT
Answer: 750 is more than enough. With about over 350 lbs on board it will pass just about any car on the road. Of course, after a few years, you will want MORE POWER it's in our manly nature.
Top Top