User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm going to be a new member based on this thread:
link

My payment and paperwork is getting processed so I will have my card soon and be a member.

I used to bash a little.  I quit NRA back in the 90's because I thought they were too focused on hunting and compromised too much.

Any bashers that support other orgs ought to consider the deal in that thread I linked to.

Welcome back.  

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Thanks, bud!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[NRAbasher]Blah, blah, blah, too late. Blah, blah, blah, not enough. Blah, blah, blah, I am an asshat. Blah, blah, blah.....[/NRAbasher]

Exactly. Someone figured it out!

Yes they did.  But it still wasn't you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hurray for the NRA getting off its ass a few weeks later.

Too little too late.  Still not getting any of my money, and I let 'em know it.

Vote for Hillary in the next election too while you're in the mood to shaft our gun rights.

Oh, thats right, the NRA Koolaid makes you believe that one must support the NRA in order to be a supporter of gun rights.

As said by someone above, I can do more by voting for the right people that I can by throwing money at an organization.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't read the link, but I am an avid supporter of the NRA. The day for this suit, was the day NO started trying this shit. Not a few weeks later.

Wouldn't you rather they do a little discovery and research before they went in there pell-mell? I would. If it was just an errant media report based on that one woman who didn't want to leave or give up her dog and had her gun taken away because she brandished it at the po-po (she was a nutbar), they'd just look stupid.

Oh well. They're the best we have and I firmly believe every gun owner should donate to the cause - whether it's the NRA or some other rights group. Just owning a gun isn't good enough.

How much discovery and research was done by the authorities before they decided to stomp on the Constitution?

The NRA should have had a Federal Judge sign a restraining order blocking them from any kind of confiscation. It should have been done that Friday....

JMHO

I am not the biggest NRA fan alive, and that is somewhat of a matter of record.  But to say that the NRA should have had a judge signing injunctions that Friday is kind of funny.  I dare say that the Federal judges assigned to NO were WAY THE FUCK OUT OF DODGE at that particular time.

shooter
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vote for Hillary in the next election too while you're in the mood to shaft our gun rights.

Oh, thats right, the NRA Koolaid makes you believe that one must support the NRA in order to be a supporter of gun rights.

As said by someone above, I can do more by voting for the right people that I can by throwing money at an organization.

Wrong.  Your one vote will accomplish little, depending on where you live.  Giving money and political support to the NRA will accomplish a great deal.  The NRA is considered to be THE face of gun rights in Washington.  Its membership and its coffers represent to those in our government the clout of the gun rights lobby.  If you don't understand that, you sorely need to educate yourself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A FEW WEEKS LATER?  Good God...have you checked a fucking CALENDAR lately?  The amount of indiscriminate ignorance in this thread is truly frightening.

I don't remember exactly when the story about confiscation came out.  I don't particularly care either.  Weeks, days, whatever.

Even if they'd lost, it would have been a good PR move to have something in front of a judge THAT DAY.

Oh well, since I'm ignorant, fuck the NRA and fuck the people in New Orleans that were too goddamned stupid to leave.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[NRAbasher]Blah, blah, blah, too late. Blah, blah, blah, not enough. Blah, blah, blah, I am an asshat. Blah, blah, blah.....[/NRAbasher]

Like I said before....right to the insults. If it makes you feel smarter, more mature and a better man, then please continue. I am done feeding you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A FEW WEEKS LATER?  Good God...have you checked a fucking CALENDAR lately?  The amount of indiscriminate ignorance in this thread is truly frightening.

I don't remember exactly when the story about confiscation came out.  I don't particularly care either.  .

That sounds about right.  "Facts?  Who needs facts?  I don't care about FACTS!"
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said before....right to the insults. If it makes you feel smarter, more mature and a better man, then please continue. I am done feeding you.

You don't seem able to comprehend the difference between being told you're wrong and being insulted.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You didn't indicate if you supported some other "no compromise" rights organization so I could only assume you were making other poor decisions...

If you're a member of another org., great, carry on. But I still encourage everyone to join the NRA.

I have taken no kool-aid and I am a critical thinker; I simply also have meshed my expectations with reality and thus am supporting the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Check out www.nraila.org/ for more.

i'm glad they are doing something now, but in their first press release they said the seizures were lawful.  Good luck to them now arguing that it wasn't.  

From Sept 9:
Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms."  --- NRA

www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1731

ETA:  Maybe I'm wrong to say that thet NRA called it lawful, but its damn close.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  Your one vote will accomplish little, depending on where you live.  Giving money and political support to the NRA will accomplish a great deal.  The NRA is considered to be THE face of gun rights in Washington.  Its membership and its coffers represent to those in our government the clout of the gun rights lobby.  If you don't understand that, you sorely need to educate yourself.

I gave my $35 to the NRA at one point.  They turned around and spent over $100 in postage over the next year sending me letters begging for more money.  Until they change their focus from fundraising to action, I will not suppor them.

I don't care anymore.  You believe what you want, I'll wait for them to change.

For what its worth, I'm not a "bash the nra and support even less effective organizations" person.  WHEN the NRA changes for the better, I'll gladly contribute to them.  On the other hand, IF (and its doubtful) any other organization actually has a chance at being effective, they *might* get my money, but at the moment, no one is effective at anything except ineffectually making noise.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't remember exactly when the story about confiscation came out.  I don't particularly care either.  .

That sounds about right.  "Facts?  Who needs facts?  I don't care about FACTS!"

Not really.  I just don't give a damn what day it is.  I had to be reminded that my birthday was coming up.  To me its just another fucking day.

If it makes you feel better, I'll admit I should have said "days" not weeks.  But to me its not relevant, because to at least give the appearance of an effective organization, there should have been an NRA lawyer in front of a judge that day, or the day after.  Win or lose, at least they would have tried for quick action, which would have been worth more to me than a press release saying "we're looking into it".
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I am sure it's more likely they would change than you, seeing as how you don't seem to want to let facts interfere with your opinions.  But I rather hope they DON'T change.  I think they can afford to lose you, rather than to adapt your philosophy and lose every single political fight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If it makes you feel better, I'll admit I should have said "days" not weeks.  But to me its not relevant, because to at least give the appearance of an effective organization, there should have been an NRA lawyer in front of a judge that day, or the day after.  Win or lose, at least they would have tried for quick action, which would have been worth more to me than a press release saying "we're looking into it".

That would have been an incredibly stupid thing to do.  It would have accomplished nothing other than to give them a HUGE public black eye for trying to distract people from a crucial rescue operation and would probably have crippled the NRA as a lobbying organization for YEARS to come.  
Like I said, I certainly hope they never change to your philosophy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gave my $35 to the NRA at one point.  They turned around and spent over $100 in postage over the next year sending me letters begging for more money.  Until they change their focus from fundraising to action, I will not suppor them.

For what its worth, I'm not a "bash the nra and support even less effective organizations" person.  WHEN the NRA changes for the better, I'll gladly contribute to them.  On the other hand, IF (and its doubtful) any other organization actually has a chance at being effective, they *might* get my money, but at the moment, no one is effective at anything except ineffectually making noise.

You got 2702 mailings from the NRA in one year???
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Tell y'all what, someone somewhere on this board is affiliated with the NRA.

How about speaking up and explaining the thought process that went into the NRA decision to delay this action.

I would think that the NRA's NUMBER 1 priority, would be to ensure the RTKBA.
They had the perfect opportunity to fulfill that priority.

I am grateful for the action that they have finally taken. If it was impossible to do anything untill now.......let us know.

Infomation is the key........right now I have none and neither do any of you. (from what
I can tell)

I can't believe that NO ONE from the NRA is on this board..........if your out there speak up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Tell y'all what, someone somewhere on this board is affiliated with the NRA.

How about speaking up and explaining the thought process that went into the NRA decision to delay this action.

I would think that the NRA's NUMBER 1 priority, would be to ensure the RTKBA.
They had the perfect opportunity to fulfill that priority.

I am grateful for the action that they have finally taken. If it was impossible to do anything untill now.......let us know.

Infomation is the key........right now I have none and neither do any of you. (from what
I can tell)

I can't believe that NO ONE from the NRA is on this board..........if your out there speak up.

IIRC there is one that either works now for them or has recently.

I hope they do chime in with some information... However- It will do no good to some of the anti-NRA types (might as well say anti-gun types) as they have made their minds (and wallets) up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of good it is going to do.  This is from the website of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana:

The New Orleans offices of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana are closed until further notice.  By order of Chief Judge Helen G. Berrigan, all deadlines and delays in matters pending before this court are suspended until ordered otherwise.  In addition, all prescriptive periods and other time-sensitive deadlines for new litigation are likewise suspended until further notice.

Is there REALLY widespread gun confiscation going on?  I read some of that 30+ page bitchfest thread of mis-captioned pictures taken out of context all because of ONE, uncorroborated New York Times article.  I've yet to hear from one member on here or in the news media (FoxNews would have covered it) that a 'law-abiding' citizen had their gun collection removed from their house.

I have a feeling the NRA did this as a feel good measure for all the members threatening to not renew their memberships if action was not taken.

Donning my Nomex Knickers now.  FLAME away!

ETA after reading the Washington Times article.  They could only find 2 Plaintiff's out of population of 1.2 million residents?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#21]
FLGreg

I did see one confiscation caught on tape- a woman with a dog in a flooded out home they were evacuating... I don't know exactly why she was so feisty but they were hell bent on taking her in. She seemed "out of it" - like a little whacked. She pulled a gun on the rescue crew so they tackled her and removed it. I believe they also brought her in.

Before anyone says "Yeah, so?" I have to say that I saw rescuers simply drop MREs and cases of water off to people in the exact same situation- there was a real reason they went and talked to this woman.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:n had their gun collection removed from their house.

I have a feeling the NRA did this as a feel good measure for all the members threatening to not renew their memberships if action was not taken.

+1  me too. Its precisely because people DIDN'T stfu that the nra took action.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FLGreg

I did see one confiscation caught on tape- a woman with a dog in a flooded out home they were evacuating... I don't know exactly why she was so feisty but they were hell bent on taking her in. She seemed "out of it" - like a little whacked. She pulled a gun on the rescue crew so they tackled her and removed it. I believe they also brought her in.

Before anyone says "Yeah, so?" I have to say that I saw rescuers simply drop MREs and cases of water off to people in the exact same situation- there was a real reason they went and talked to this woman.

I've got a clip of people who were defending their mansion in an affluent (and dry) neighborhood.  The LEOs and guard were there.  They handcuffed them with flexcuffs, took their guns and decided to release them (minus their guns).
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got 2702 mailings from the NRA in one year???

I was averaging just over 3 / day between all the various part of them that were mailing stuff out.  It didn't help that it was during the '00 election cycle, so there was a lot of "look what so and so did that we need your money to help stop" political stuff as well.  It probably wouldn't be quite so bad during a non-election year.

Quite a few of their mailings were more than just letter rate -- more like "small catalog" rate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Good.  So they heard their membership and acted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sad thing is, many of my fellow NRA members whom are complaining about us did nothing except cut the check.

After all thats all we need to do, right?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
FLGreg

I saw that too and is the one that everyone is all fired up about.  It was the LAPD or CHP that did it.  She looked drunk to me - slurring her speech, ect.

Another picture in that thread has some guy handcuffed sitting on a small flatbed trailor.  What isn't told is that those guys were pulled over driving a stolen pickup truck full of looted goods and they also found guns in the car.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#28]
For some of you complaining that the NRA is always running fund raisers, you folks are not too familiar with lobbying. Lobbying is very expensive.  Appearently, you folks love to shoot, but are unwilling to put forthe the necessary committements to keep those guns.  We have many shooters in Calif, but not all that many willing to step-up to the plate to defend their right(s). Calif-style gun laws can happen you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I was averaging just over 3 / day between all the various part of them that were mailing stuff out.  It didn't help that it was during the '00 election cycle, so there was a lot of "look what so and so did that we need your money to help stop" political stuff as well.  It probably wouldn't be quite so bad during a non-election year.

Quite a few of their mailings were more than just letter rate -- more like "small catalog" rate.

Huh.

Well I've never gotten more than one a week so you must be on some special list. Seriously- I've been a member for like 15 years and have never gotten more than one a week - including election years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
A day late and a dollar short.

They should have had lawyers down there waiting IMO.

The party is over and now they show up in force?

I wonder how many citizens were robbed, raped and hurt because they were forcefully disarmed?

Again, a day late and a dollar short.

<< ------- Not renewing his NRA membership.  

NRA Life Member
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've got a clip of people who were defending their mansion in an affluent (and dry) neighborhood.  The LEOs and guard were there.  They handcuffed them with flexcuffs, took their guns and decided to release them (minus their guns).

Was that the lawyer?  Could you post the link to that clip (ETA:  Thanks for the Clip)?  It's not that don't think it didn't/couldn't happen but it's not widespread as that 30+ page whinefest suggests.

If true, I bet you those affluent people now have Blackwater guarding their mansions.  Like the City of Gretna did.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was that the lawyer?  Could you post the link to that clip?  It's not that don't think it didn't/couldn't happen but it's not widespread as that 30+ page whinefest suggests.

If true, I bet you those affluent people now have Blackwater guarding their mansions.  Like the City of Gretna did.

No, different people.  I posted it a couple posts up.  Check it out...it sucks.

ETA: Here
re-link of same video
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was that the lawyer?  Could you post the link to that clip?  It's not that don't think it didn't/couldn't happen but it's not widespread as that 30+ page whinefest suggests.

re-link of same video

Thanks for the linky.  I hadn't seen that - just three guys in that video though.  I stand partially corrected but far from the "widespreadness" being suggested by some.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Good for you, killer.

If everyone did as you do, why there would be no NRA.

But we'd all be $35 richer.

Wouldn't that just be fucking wonderful?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#36]
What did you expect the NRA to do? Order it's members to shoot the NO PD?

Did you expect a bunch of SEAL trained lawyers to parachute in onto rubber rafts and issue writs?

The NRA needs courts to fight these battles and I'd bet that the courts are not really in session because judges are not trained SCUBA divers.

The way things get done without bloodshed in this country is through the courts and it takes a while to initiate things.

It also takes time to investigate things to make damned sure they're on solid ground. They want to make sure that solid citizens were disarmed, not just a couple gangsta junkie types. (ETA Unlike Brother Sharpton, who constantly defends nothing but low lifes and has NO credibility)

I'll bet there are a few NO residents that are going to cost the LA government a LOT of money. Enough so they'll think twice before pulling that shit again.

The one thing many of you do NOT have is patience!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

re-link of same video

Thanks for the linky.  I hadn't seen that - just three guys in that video though.  I stand partially corrected but far from the "widespreadness" being suggested by some.

Well, I don't know if we really have access to any numbers on just how many gun owners had their firearms confiscated.  I am assuming there were more than what made it to the news.
More than I am comfortable with, put it that way (one would be more than I'm comfortable with when we're talking about law abiding gun owners).

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Did you expect a bunch of SEAL trained lawyers to parachute in onto rubber rafts and issue writs?

The NRA needs courts to fight these battles and I'd bet that the courts are not really in session because judges are not trained SCUBA divers.

The way things get done without bloodshed in this country is through the courts and it takes a while to initiate things.

It also takes time to investigate things to make damned sure they're on solid ground. They want to make sure that solid citizens were disarmed, not just a couple gangsta junkie types.

I'll bet there are a few NO residents that are going to cost the LA government a LOT of money. Enough so they'll think twice before pulling that shit again.

Man, I hate it when logic, facts and sound reasoning ruin a good trashfest.      
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#39]
The NRA is a legal lobbying group/law engine, and those things move slow.   However, it is the largets and most important one we have and those of you who hold onto your $35 because they didn't attack the New Orleans police department with cold fusion rocks are imbeciles.

The real disappointment here isn't the NRA - they are doing what they do.   The problem here is with the people of NO whom surrendered their rights without a fight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The NRA is a legal lobbying group/law engine, and those things move slow.   However, it is the largets and most important one we have and those of you who hold onto your $35 because they didn't attack the New Orleans police department with cold fusion rocks are imbeciles.

The real disappointment here isn't the NRA - they are doing what they do.   The problem here is with the people of NO whom surrendered their rights without a fight.

I think the problem was the LEOs following unconstitutional orders.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I disagree.  LEOs/Military following unconstitutional orders is a given, we just have proof of that now.

The people need to stop being cowards and not lie down to get run over.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok, for all you "the ACLU can do it in a day why can't the NRA" idiots, the ACLU just filed, as in yesterday, a lawsuit on behalf of some of the NO evacuees because they are having background checks run on them as they are being relocated to different cities.  The evacuees have been getting relocated for 2 weeks prior to the time the firearms were being confiscated and the ACLU is ONLY NOW getting a lawsuit filed.  So how about this, until you get a clue on how the real world works, STFU!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Check out www.nraila.org/ for more.

that's like John Kerry deciding this morning to authorize the 84 million then you expecting us to say, "OK, we'll vote for you now, John..."

doller short, day late, etc.

By the way, is that you, Mr. Lapierre?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

they gots lahtnin reflexes!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I disagree.  LEOs/Military following unconstitutional orders is a given, we just have proof of that now.

The people need to stop being cowards and not lie down to get run over.

It might be a given but I also think it's a/the problem.

But I don't disagree about people standing up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah great plan. One vote will get the job done. Not the NRA contributing millions to the candidates who support gun rights, and advising the millions of NRA members to vote for the right people.

Your single fucking vote will solve all our problems.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It also takes time to investigate things to make damned sure they're on solid ground. They want to make sure that solid citizens were disarmed, not just a couple gangsta junkie types.

I am pleased that the NRA didn't make some knee jerk declaration right off the bat. Imagine the media backlash if it was reported that the NRA was defending the gun rights of some meth lab guards or thieves. I would think that it takes longer to prepare and research a court filing than it takes to type anti-NRA response on here.

Anti-NRA gun owners are like welfare recipients anyway. They want something for nothing.

Welfare recipient: I don't pay taxes or work but I want the government to provide me with free food, shelter, and cash.

Anti-NRA firearms owner: I will not give the NRA any of my money but they damn well better defend my rights as I think they should.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#48]
w00t!

Go NRA!

Glad they got on those fools in NO.

I'm gonna give 'em another $25 bucks.

I called, emailed and harangued my federal congress criters and the NRA-ILA incessantly when this foolishness started.

Haven't heard a word from my critters, but the NRA is gonna bring some hell to the tyrants in NO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
They  have 100% of my support now.
Our 800 lb Gorilla is back.

coopercornertx.tripod.com/gorilla_close_up_2.jpg

Exactly.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
They should have had lawyers down there waiting IMO.

This is quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing I have heard this week.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top