Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#1]

So why do they call them Knights?

Do they do any battle drills or practice sword fighting?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Catholic Position on Masonry is complicated:

www.sspx.ca/Angelus/1985_August/Catholics_Masonry.htm
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Another source:

www.newadvent.org/cathen/14071b.htm
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a 3rd Degree Knight.  Congratulations.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Where's the pics of you in full plumage?

get to postin'  mister
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw the topic and thought "what is this guy playing, Dungeons and Dragons?".

Congrats man.

I thought the same thing!

What the hell are the "Knights of Columbus"?

Bowling league?

Broadway show?  (<hates show tunes...)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

get to postin'  mister

That's 4th Degree, Perseph

Can't wait to get my Horatio Hornblower hat - w00t!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
edit:

nevermind - the question was asked of EtH.

it's his lie - he can tell it however he wants.

that seems rather rude to say to a fellow Christian
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been accepted into the Knights Templar.   The guys are inviting me to a special ceremony to see the holy grail...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
edit:

Sometimes the truth hurts, but we can't let that stop us from speaking it.

But speaking of truth, 'fess up - it warmed your heart, didn't it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Read "The Da Vinci Code" and "Holy Blood, Holy Grail."

Masons (KTs) kicked ye olde Catholic behind.

Now, when you guys can party like us Shriners... come talk  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Collin,

Are the Knights of Columbus sympathetic to traditional Catholicism or  are they all Novus Ordo?

Dominus tecum.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img218.imageshack.us/img218/848/kkk6flagsmall5an.jpg

Me too, I joined last week.

Wow not funny.

Oh, no.  Funny.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't want to live in Columbus.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Collin,

Are the Knights of Columbus sympathetic to traditional Catholicism or  are they all Novus Ordo?

Dominus tecum.

The KofC follows the teachings of Jesus and the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church.  This includes Vatican II.

They are not Novus Ordo.  I quoted a brief summary of their history on the previous page.  They were founded by an Irish-American priest in CT in the late 19th century as a fraternal organization to help Catholic families in the area.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Collin,

Dominus tecum.

The Knights follow the teachings of the Church.  What the Pope says, goes.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

get to postin'  mister

That's 4th Degree, Perseph

www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/08/images/20040803-11_dallas2-515h.jpg

Can't wait to get my Horatio Hornblower hat - w00t!

I thought they all got the fluffy hats - they're just different colors for each Degree.  So clue a chicky in.  I've seen white, and red, don't recall yellow or green.

ETA: Nevermind.  Found it:

Fourth Degree Color Corps

The Color Corps of the Knights of Columbus are the uniformed members of the Fourth Degree. They are the ones that are most noticeable at church and public functions, parades, etc. They actually consist of two parts:

the Color Guard and
the Honor Guard
Honor Guardsmen are those members who have mastered the Manual of the Sword. All others are Color Guard.

The primary responsibility of the Honor Guard is to participate in recital of the rosary, wake, and burial of deceased members.  This, of course, is at the request of the deceased Sir Knight's family.

The Color Corps has the responsibility of participating in any public event were the colors (flags) of America, State, Papal, and KC are displayed in honor and reverence.

The Corps basically follows a Naval theme with ranks and insignia. Note that the chapeaux, which are never called hats, are similar to the old naval uniforms.

Cape colors are an indication of rank.

Vice Supreme Masters wear blue capes and chapeaux.
Masters wear gold capes and chapeaux.
District Marshals (District level Color Corps Commanders) wear green capes and chapeaux.
Faithful navigators (whether a member of the corps or not) wear white capes and chapeaux.
Commanders wear purple capes and chapeaux.
Other Color Corps Members wear red capes and chapeaux.
Former Vice Supreme Masters, Former District Marshals, and Past Faithful Navigators are all permitted to wear their respective capes and chapeaux when they finish their term of office.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I think color has something to do with position and nationality.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Tonight, I became a 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus.  What an amazing experience.  If any of my Brother Knights read this, and are not yet 3rd Degree Knights, I say do it.  God Bless the Knights of Columbus.  Tonight, I learned that I don't know enough about my faith, and what I would do to defend my faith and my Brothers.  

Congrats...and please note and refelct upon the ethnicity of the founder of the Knights.  

Sure, and if it weren't for whiskey, we'd already be ruling the world.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't the KOC sworn enemies of the Freemasons?

ErictheHun vs Collin!!

Yes!  But gay sex is an integral part of both initiation rites.

I don't remember anything along those lines in my initiation into Freemasonry.

Of course, you do not seem to recall it.  It is a secret initiation!  The only possible reason to join a male dominated secret group is for the man sex you guys enjoy.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Collin,

Dominus tecum.

Did you mena Dominus Rectum?

Look!  Up in the sky!  It's a Bird! It's a plane!  It's PROJECTION TROLL!    

The super homophobe hero able to project his own homo tendancies on others faster than a speeding keyboard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Tonight, I became a 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus.  What an amazing experience.  If any of my Brother Knights read this, and are not yet 3rd Degree Knights, I say do it.  God Bless the Knights of Columbus.  Tonight, I learned that I don't know enough about my faith, and what I would do to defend my faith and my Brothers.  

"Men are four: He who knows and knows not that he knows. He is asleep; wake him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool; shun him. He who knows not and knows that he knows not. He is a child; teach him. He who knows and knows that he knows. He is a king; follow him." ---Chinese Proverb

Congrats

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Rectum?  Damned near killed 'em.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Hmmm, looks like ar15_rifleman has decided that his tendencies are shared by everybody else.  Grow up,
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorry!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Collin,

Dominus tecum.

What are you like 12
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#31]
If you were informed, and had read the thread, you'd find that the Knights are not a secret society.  Therefore, you've made yourself an ass either way.  So, until you can contribute in an informed, adult manner, please go forth and shit on somebody else's thread.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look!  Up in the sky!  It's a Bird! It's a plane!  It's PROJECTION TROLL!    

The super homophobe hero able to project his own homo tendancies on others faster than a speeding keyboard.

He's gone.  Sorry for the troll activity folks.  

Oh, TBK1 You're soooo dreamy!  swoon
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

He's gone.  

Nice shot, Deadeye!

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Congratulations from a Master Mason who has known several Catholic Masonic brothers.  

Service to God and man is what counts.

Now isn't the KofC a fried chicken joint?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another source:

www.newadvent.org/cathen/14071b.htm

Sorry, gents.  I wouldn't say that either of these can be taken as authoritative Catholic sources (the letter from then-Cardinal Ratzinger is, however).    SSPX is a famously schismatic group which is extremely anti-Mason (far more than Catholics should be, IMHO).  

Newadvent is a generally a good reference, but one must keep in mind that:

A. a lot of things there are the opnions of the authors as opposed to doctrine

B. in some cases (especially on the articles which discuss history, as opposed to docrine) there's been 100 years of  good research which has given us a much better understanding of what happened in a particular historical event.  

C. Thus, some of the things that the authors say are not necessarily what the Church teaches , and some articles (ref: the article on Hesychasm or Gregorian chant) are very wrong because our understanding of the subjects are much better today for various reasons (if anyone's really interested, I can discuss this at more length either here or by email).  

Getting back to the point of the thread, congratulations, Collin!!  

King of All (decidedly non-modernist) Tyrants
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#38]
What are the knights of columbus?

on the subject of secret societies I have been looking at becoming a free mason.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Collin,

Dominus tecum.

The Knights follow the teachings of the Church.  What the Pope says, goes.  

strange. To each his own I guess.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ETH, do you which principle(s) of the Masons are the reason for the Catholic Church's position of considering membership by a Catholic a grave sin?

This is going to get ugly.  But one of the main issues is that Masonry doesn't require belief in a specific God, only in a Supreme Being.  It could be Mother Earth, God, Jesus Christ, Budha, or whatever.  Discussion of religion at Masonic functions is generally a very big no no.  

so free masons are a lot like unitarian universalists?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Jeb Bush...4th Degree...Is he Catholic?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Jeb Bush...4th Degree...Is he Catholic?

If he is a Knight of Columbus, he sure is Catholic.  

To the person who asked what the Knights are, we are a men's Catholic organization founded upon the prinicples of Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism.  We have millions of members and secret underground bunkers filled with Class III weapons for the upcoming war against the Masons for control of the Illuminati.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
ETH, do you which principle(s) of the Masons are the reason for the Catholic Church's position of considering membership by a Catholic a grave sin?

Historic opposition to both a royal monarchy and to a religious monarchy.

Historically speaking, of course.

Eric The(Historic)Hun
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
edit:

Sometimes the truth hurts, but we can't let that stop us from speaking it.

But speaking of truth, 'fess up - it warmed your heart, didn't it?

Of course, it did.

Which is precisely why you shouldn't have said it.

But discretion is not a strong suit with some of us.

Eric The(Insouciant)Hun
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is going to get ugly.  But one of the main issues is that Masonry doesn't require belief in a specific God, only in a Supreme Being.  It could be Mother Earth, God, Jesus Christ, Budha, or whatever.  Discussion of religion at Masonic functions is generally a very big no no.  

Buddha is not considered a 'Supreme Being', nor do the followers of Buddhism consider Buddha anything other than an enlightened human being.

In America, belief in a Supreme Being among Masons is overwhelmingly a belief in the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, i.e. the Christian God.

Eric The(Masonic)Hun
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
What are the knights of columbus?

on the subject of secret societies I have been looking at becoming a free mason.

Knock yourself out.  I did, and it turned out to be a waste of time.  I don't go anymore.  Need a ring?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't go anymore.  Need a ring?

Sure.

I collect Masonic rings.

Size 11?

Post pic......

Eric The(Eternal)Hun
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buddha is not considered a 'Supreme Being', nor do the followers of Buddhism consider Buddha anything other than an enlightened human being.

In America, belief in a Supreme Being among Masons is overwhelmingly a belief in the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, i.e. the Christian God.

Eric The(Masonic)Hun

Thanks for clarifying that for me.  My knowledge of world religions is sometimes very lacking.

You are welcome!

Masonry, in addition to belief in a Supreme Being, requires a belief in Eternal Life.

Eric The(NoAtheistNeedApply)Hun
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top