Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2001 8:19:35 AM EDT
There seem to be so many choices and options for the AR, it can make a buying decision for a newbie a headache.

I'm stuck on buying either a preban M4 type combo or postban 16" A2 type combo. What are the pros and cons between the Tele stock and the A2 stock? I like being able to store stuff in the A2 but what other than length does the Tele stock offer? Pro and cons on 16" HB or a dissipator type with full site radius? Does the M4 have less range than a Dissipator type? I dont' want the barrel to have the M4 profile but rather heavy the full lenght, at least I've decided on that much. So many questions I know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone???  I really need some opinions here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
First of all Ted, welcome over from the FalFiles. I like the M4, but I also like the dissipator. The dissipator has the advantage of being a "true" carbine. As you metioned, the full length sight radius gives the shooter with iron sights an advantage over an M-4 or Car15 shooter. I like the M4's ability to be shortned to accomidate being carried in a vehicle. If you have the 4 position tele stock, there is a hidden advantage over the A2 stock. You can taylor the pull or length of the stock to you. It also accomidates body armor, LBE/V better because you can again adjust the length.
Another problem, all of the dissipator barrels are currently HBAR's. This helps dissipate heat, but for CQB it will be a bit slower than an A2 configured M4 barrel.
I think the perfect CQB/Carbine would be a dissipator model, with a light weight barrel and good FS/muzzle brake. A1 upper with AO A2 sights, and an A1 length buttstock made of A2 material so that it presents faster, and accomidates body armor better. The A1 stocks are out there in small numbers. Colt produced some for the LW Sporter, and Canada has them available for the C7. BTW the Canadian stock is made on the Colt mold-the letters CS are on the right side near the junction of where it joins the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, raf's right...what are you going to do with it? I have both a pre-ban M4 and a post-ban 16. I put a post ban non-collapsable tele-stock on the 16 just for weight savings. If you buy a post-ban 16, you won't be able to put a collapsable stock on it anyway. They're pinned. I hunt coyotes in some pretty rough country and hauled an A2 stock ar around for a long time in the 20", that got old. Opted for the pre-ban M4, it's easier to swing around, easier to conceal in the brush when I'm hunched down. The 16" is great for the type of shooting I do, within 200 yards, it's a pretty straight shooter.

These other guys on here can offer you a hell of a lot more on the accuracy, I get confused on the specifics, as long as I can hit a coyote from 25-200 yards, I'm a happy dweeb.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
To each his own and for me that's a 16" light weight barrel, vortex f/h, non f/a A1 upper, non trap door A1 buttstock and the rest I add on or remove as needed.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top