Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#1]
FOX is a little bit odd sometimes, but he is young. Cut him some slack guys. Honestly, I wouldn't keep him. Free Willy like somebody else said or give him to a reptile rescue group. They really are a pain to keep happy/healthy and I finally gave mine away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do you guys pick on FOX? He's the next generation of gun nut you know! We're raising the fuckin' future right here.

That's a turtle FOX, it probably eats lettuce and or bugs.

God help us all then.

Were you a dumbass when you were 14?
I think most of us were.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Who knew that a turtle thread could get so ugly?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
wash your hands after handling, they carry simonela

And he should wash his hands after handling himself, so he doesn't give the turtle semenella....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Look's like you got a red ear slider FOX. My sister got 2 last year for my nephew and somehow they got dumped on me.

They were that size when she got them.

FOX's pic

A year later and 2 aquarium's later I have these 2 eating machine's. Pics are a few months old.

Just wash your hands after handling the little fella and give him a lot more room to swim in and get a good water filter and a good lamp for basking.

He still may be to small but a few small guppies are some of that dried shrimp they sell at the pet store(grind it a little so the little guy can eat it) and those little pellet's are all you need.

They grow quick(real quick) and are a commitment. I enjoy watching my 2 idiots try to catch there meals(guppies,gold fish,rosey red's)and theyre easier to take care of than the dog.

Oh yeah when it gets a little bigger there's a powder that you put in a container and put the turtle in for a few hours to clean the little bugger and prevent sickness.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fox, the turtle you have is illegal for you to own.  

Link for you

I didnt see anywwhere in that article that they are illegal to own just sell. Shit man it's afriggin turtle.

The store got off on a loop hole. They are free as long as you but the little plastic cage they come in.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who knew that a turtle thread could get so ugly?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fox, the turtle you have is illegal for you to own.  

Link for you

I didnt see anywwhere in that article that they are illegal to own just sell. Shit man it's afriggin turtle.

fox don't put it in your mouth and wash your hands.

IF it is an endangered species it is probably also illegal to transport it across state lines.  Generally possession of reptiles is not illegal.  For example it is completely legal to own Galapagos Tortoises w/o a permit as long as you don’t carry them over state boundaries.  Local regulations may apply.

ETA- I can’t get a good look at his neck, but yeah it looks like a red eared slider the most ubiquitous freshwater turtle out there.  They tend to not like people a lot when they get older, but they aren’t big enough to hurt you unless you stick your finger in his mouth.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not many people know this, but the turtle is also natures suction cup! Lick the bottom of it and try it out!

Next week, we are teaching poodles how to fly!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Next week, we are teaching poodles how to fly!

Really

Just in time for me to baby sit my aunts ankle biter poodle to.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#11]
My only advice is that you should learn how to use the camera to take better close ups.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FOX is a little bit odd sometimes, but he is young. Cut him some slack guys. Honestly, I wouldn't keep him. Free Willy like somebody else said or give him to a reptile rescue group. They really are a pain to keep happy/healthy and I finally gave mine away.

People have no clue what "freeing" of captive animals has done to wild populations.  Its incredible that today people still think that it’s okay to do that.  There are many problems that occur from letting a captive animal go, including introduction of disease, destroying habitat for native animals, or simply preying on native animals.

Like mentioned elsewhere certain animals are illegal in certain states mostly because of disease or people letting them go and that causing problems like listed above.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My only advice is that you should learn how to use the camera to take better close ups.

I'm sorry. I was in a hurry and forgot to turn on macro.

Here are some better pics, and the side of his head.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why do you guys pick on FOX? He's the next generation of gun nut you know! We're raising the fuckin' future right here.

see below
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

deleted after reading Aimless' and -brass's warnings, sorry guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#16]
That Quarter you put in there probably has enough germs on it to kill your little buddy.

Or the Lotion on your hands.   Maybe it will become Preggers,  You do wash your hands ? Right after don't ya?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice looking turtle!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#18]
deleted
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does that mean I cant ask WTF a "Quater in that pic." is???

He's probly using it as a comparison for size   of the turtle that is.

Yep
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
FOX is a little bit odd sometimes, but he is young. Cut him some slack guys.

No shit.  Some assholes here get so off on saying "fuck you fox, huh huh huh" for no reason other than to piss him off.  You fuckers need lives.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
It's best if you keep them in an air-tight jar.  It keeps the smell down.h.gif
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img204.imageshack.us/img204/9504/turtle58uv.jpg

img204.imageshack.us/img204/2734/turtle42as.jpg

img204.imageshack.us/img204/9878/turtle63uh.jpg

Much better....Cute little critter.  

(I guess you're supposed to check with the EPA before you buy a critter in a pet shop.)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#23]
That is reg old red slider turtle as said before they are not ilegal only thing is around here anyway you cannot sell them if they are smaller than 4" because a kid could fit it in his mouth I guess they never thought the kids could just lick it or kiss it
most reptiles carry salmonella I have had lizards of various types all my life just wash your hands
BTW Omaha zoo a few years back had some iguanas out where people could get at um
had a little rash of salmonella that was traced to the zoo  OPPS
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That is reg old red slider turtle as said before they are not ilegal only thing is around here anyway you cannot sell them if they are smaller than 4" because a kid could fit it in his mouth I guess they never thought the kids could just lick it or kiss it
most reptiles carry salmonella I have had lizards of various types all my life just wash your hands
BTW Omaha zoo a few years back had some iguanas out where people could get at um
had a little rash of salmonella that was traced to the zoo  OPPS

No biggie.  Seems that petting zoos have spread e-coli bacterial infections that have killed lots of little kids.  So, remember:  Don't put a turtle or petting zoo in your mouth.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img204.imageshack.us/img204/9504/turtle58uv.jpg

img204.imageshack.us/img204/2734/turtle42as.jpg

img204.imageshack.us/img204/9878/turtle63uh.jpg

Yup, it's a red ear slider.  One day at work, I found one just a little bit smaller than that.  Foolishly I brought it home and put in a aquarium the next day.  The little bugger got so huge I ended up buying several different tanks to keep up with him.  He could dirty up a 55 gallon tank real quick if I didn't stay on top of the filters.  Big pain in the butt.  I put some goldfish in the tank but he ate them.  My wife asked me to give him away when she got pregnant.  I gave him to our corner pet store.

eta:www.redearslider.com/  
The web is full of sites about them.  Have fun and make sure to wash your hands.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Earlier today I was looking for him and could find him, finally after a little looking I found him, in the plastic plant.

Put in thumbnail to conserve space.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Regardless of what others may think of him, I think FOX is an ok kid.  He is 14?  I think that is what someone said.  A 14 year old kid who can take all the shit that gets thrown at him for posting on ARFCOM should be able to go far in life.  Take it easy guys, he will learn.  And nice turtle, I had one much like it several years back.   Take good care of him.  And maybe get him some real plants?  I dunno, but seems like a nice idea.

-Ben
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top