Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Read my lips: NO new taxes."
Try and beat that for the "dumbest thing a politician has ever said"......

President George Herbert Walker Bush said he would not ask for any new taxes and would not support raising taxes.  Then the Democrat controlled House and Senate passed tax increases and tied them to other important items that needed very much to be signed into law.

President Bush signed the bill into law which is what needed to be done.  And of course the Liberal Media played it up and still does.  He did not want tax increases in fact he gave us some very, very large tax decreases if you remember.

He painted himself into a corner with that statement.
That was dumb.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A few quotes from the former major of Washington DC - the esteemed Marion Barry:

"Aside from the murders, DC has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."
or
"What right does Congress have to go around making laws just because they deem it necessary?"
or
"I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where's Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less."
or
"People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then? WOULD IT!?!"
or
"First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl."

I belive that the man missed his calling as a stand-up comedian.

CWO

Wow.

Thanks.

I needed a good laugh.

Marion Barry: Give him another crack!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He painted himself into a corner with that statement.
That was dumb.

No, what was dumb was people drinking the media kool-aide and listening to them chastise him for "breaking a promise".

Honestly: When was the last time you heard the idiot press say that a tax hike was a bad thing? They only say it to get rid of a decent human being as President and install an Arkansian with an inferiority complex and an inexplicable attraction to fat and ugly chicks who proceeded to set us up nicely for terrorist attacks.

THAT was dumb.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
3 pages and nobody mentioned this jewel...

"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."   - Hillary Clinton
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Delay's statements sound to me like an attempt to jab his fellow Republicans into fiscal reality. I don't really think that Delay thinks there is nothing more to be cut from the budget, but rather that everyone and his brother up there has their own pet spending item that they are holding on to with all their might. The result of all this you-scratch-my-back stuff is spending that is almost as bad as the dims.

It could also be a shot at the media who is fond of turning any proposal to cut anything into a story about the mean old Republicans trying to take something from somebody that they need to survive. Perhaps Mr. Delay was being very cunning and was hoping to get a few dum-dum reporters to look over spending items and see some of the rediculous crap that the .gov is spending money on, and then go with their cameras and demand that it get cut.

Wouldn't that be a nice change? The media ADVOCATING cuts to spending and poor Congresspersons being forced to cut the fat out of the budget?

Some of you folks need to stop drinking the tinfoil crowd's kool-aid. Wherever there is a power structure, there will be politics surrounding the aquisition and exercise of that power. Why? Because lots of people want it. Thus to succeed, someone has to know how to play the game.

It sounds to me like Mr. Delay might just be making a pretty good and extremely entertaining move in that game. He knows the left despises him and will instantly adopt the opposite position of him on anything, and will paint themselves into a corner. He also knows he can use that to his advantage to introduce some sobriety into federal spending and perhaps to remind his Republican colleagues of their obligations.

If Delay proposes a reduction in spending, it is immediately branded cuts that hurt children and the elderly and the little guy. But when libs propose cuts to the EXACT same stuff, they are being "fiscally responsible". When your enemy is so stupid that he will do exactly what you want him to given a slight push, you take advantage of that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:41:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
3 pages and nobody mentioned this jewel...

"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."   - Hillary Clinton

"We could give you the money....If you would spend it right...."

Bill Clinton describing why he didn't support proposed tax cuts
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:52:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If Delay proposes a reduction in spending, it is immediately branded cuts that hurt children and the elderly and the little guy. But when libs propose cuts to the EXACT same stuff, they are being "fiscally responsible". When your enemy is so stupid that he will do exactly what you want him to given a slight push, you take advantage of that.

That's because when Bill Clinton made cuts in federal spending, 90% came from defense and intelligence.  He weakened a nation but atleast he kept his entitlement programs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe it would be Earl Butz (former sec. of agriculture under Ford)

who said something to the effect of: ( quoting here)

"I'll tell you what the coloreds want. It's three things: first, a tight pussy; second, loose shoes; and third, a warm place to shit."

Essayons
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top