Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
On 1October I will give my 127th pint.
Reason? The Golden Rule.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I gave up on it after experiencing these issues:

1.  They would come to a site like work/church where everybody knows who each other is, then proceed to ask stuff like, "Well what are you taking THAT (naming the med) medicine for?" within a few feet of people who love to gossip.   My suggestions that we discuss such things in a more confidential environment were not even given serious consideration, in fact the response was more like you should be willing to broadcast your medical chart.   If it's so critical and life-saving to donate, what's the problem with giving people a little privacy?

2.  When I asked on another occasion in the 80's about the sterility of the pricking system they were using to get a few drops for typing, etc., there was a lot of eye-rolling and no, they weren't going to clean it between uses.   I went ahead anyway, then a year or two later saw a news article about how a court case had been decided against a blood bank due to a donor contracting either hepatitis or HIV and tests on the devices in question revealed contamination with the virus.   While the risk may be small enough to be acceptable, it really shows how little they value the donor.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave regularly for years until moving from RI to MA...like DK-Prof, I've found the Red Cross is a little disorganized..RI had a blood center...I should go down there occasionally (I live literally 10 mins from the border)

Why Give? I dunno...big believer in Karma...and paying it forward.

But that does not mean I am a softie by ANY means!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The only time i was going to donate blood was when i was in high school.  When i went to the gym to donate the blood they told me i couldn't donate because i got a tattoo within a year.  The next time i had a wrestling match that day and the coach didn't want anyone passing out during the match.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Never and never will...Let em die!!!!!
J/K
Seriously I can't because of an active virus in my blood caused by tick fever. ETA: Called Titters
ETA: I wish I could though even though I hate needles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

1.  They would come to a site like work/church where everybody knows who each other is, then proceed to ask stuff like, "Well what are you taking THAT (naming the med) medicine for?" within a few feet of people who love to gossip.   My suggestions that we discuss such things in a more confidential environment were not even given serious consideration, in fact the response was more like you should be willing to broadcast your medical chart.   If it's so critical and life-saving to donate, what's the problem with giving people a little privacy?

2.  When I asked on another occasion in the 80's about the sterility of the pricking system they were using to get a few drops for typing, etc., there was a lot of eye-rolling and no, they weren't going to clean it between uses.   I went ahead anyway, then a year or two later saw a news article about how a court case had been decided against a blood bank due to a donor contracting either hepatitis or HIV and tests on the devices in question revealed contamination with the virus.   While the risk may be small enough to be acceptable, it really shows how little they value the donor.

I've never been to a blood drive where the interview wasn't done at least a semi-private area. The response they gave you was nutz. I would have called the blood bank director and complained.

I have never given blood where the blood lance wasn't in a sterile package that was opened in front of me. That's crazy if they were re-using lances.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never been to a blood drive where the interview wasn't done at least a semi-private area. The response they gave you was nutz. I would have called the blood bank director and complained.

I have never given blood where the blood lance wasn't in a sterile package that was opened in front of me. That's crazy if they were re-using lances.

I have to say, I've had the same experience as rkbar...RI Blood center has always been professional AND they seemed REALLY appreciative. I don't think my kids treat me as well as those people did!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]
At least 20 times... because I have 20 Red Cross pins and I know sometimes I didn't get the pins since I had them from a previous donation.

Why?  I felt it was for helping people in need of blood.
I plan to do it until I have a certain medical condition that prevents blood donation.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
None.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have AB- and my body needs it more than somebody elses  

Ditto.  Gotta love being a universal receiver.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to donate very frequently....i remember staying in line for 6 hours on Sep. 12th 2001.

Quoted:
They won't take my blood now.  They think I have mad cow.

Have the same problem now. Damn, i miss it. I liked doing it actually. I have AB+ too, the rarest type there is!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I was on my way to my 2nd gallon but now they won't take my blood because I spent over 2 years in Africa...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I liked doing it actually. I have AB+ too, the rarest type there is!

I somewhat enjoy it too.  I crack jokes and keep everyone laughing and that seems to take the edge off for the "Nervous Nellies" in the place.  Usually it's like a funeral parlor with tension.  

The lady mentioned my A- as being fairly rare too--only 6% of the population.  That's good if you're giving, as it's a tiny bit more important than the common types, but it SUCKS if you need it and it's not there.  

While donating I used to ask for cranberry juice when asked for a drink. I'd always hold it up to the needle in my arm, and gave the nurse a funny look, as if I wasn't sure if the cup had blood or juice in it....they got a good laugh usually...

My bloodtype has a Secret Society, with a super-secret handshake too! AB+ Cult

Does anyone know if the barr on people who've spend longer than 3 months in europe expires (due to mad cow disease)? For example, can you donate again if you haven't been to europe in a long time?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#16]

LTD Credits:   25
  LTD Gallons: 3.125

I've donated 25 times, so 3 1/8 gallons.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]
The Red Cross won't take my blood.  I tried to give after 9/11 but I had already spent too much time in England and eastern Europe during the Mad Cow scare so they refused me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know. Have been donating regularly since 1989. Local blood bank sends a bus to the plant every 8 to 10 weeks and I give every time. I can make plenty of A- . Just seems like the thing to do.

I have more bloodnet T-shirts than Wal-Mart. Wearing one now as a matter of fact

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm working toward the five gallon mark. I started donating to honor my brother that died due complications from an infected (hepatitis) transfusion. I know that my blood is clean and never want another family to suffer the loss mine had. I miss my brother very much and want to say a big fuck you to those that worry about someone making money off their blood. Ever consider the cost of running a blood bank?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
  O+   Going on seven gal now will do it till I die or they say I cannot.      Gary
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
About 5 gallons.
The place that I go has a wall full of comic books that were donated.
I spend half the day there reading and stuffing myself with the food they kindly provide.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#22]
On August 9th of this year I donated my 80th pint (10 gallons)
I do it as a community service to save lives.  I look at it like helping a little old lady accross the street or opening and holding a door for someone.  I do it because I can and I believe it is the right thing to do.

I also teach Hunter Education for the State of California. (I am a volunteer and am not paid)
I look at it like this, if something I do or say in one of the classes sticks in a kids minds and he or she remembers it and does not shoot himself or his hunting partner then it is worth it.

Same thing with donating blood.  I am certain I have saved many lives hopefully some really good people probably some scumbags but oh well.  I guess I am just service oriented and care about people.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
every since the blood drive we had in High School and one student passed out afterwards, falling into a concrete block wall and knocking many of her teeth out, I have decided for my own good it's better if I keep my blood.

Eat a good meal ahead of time, drink lots of water for several hours before donating and don't stand up and get out of the chair untill you are sure you feel OK.  Walk to another chair and sit for 5 or 10 minutes drinking juice and then leave.  You should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Never.

If I go to the hospital and have to get blood, they'll charge $70 a pint or more for it.  So why should I just *give* them the blood?  

Years ago, if a loved one was going in, relatives could go in and literally give blood, so the relative wouldn't be charged for blood.  Today they wont let you do that, therefore I have never given.

If I was a Mother of three who was in a serious traffic accident or had serious bleeding complications during childbirth, they would give me blood and not charge me.  Why should I give my blood to a Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa or child who really needs it and will die without it?  

How very selfish and uncaring of you!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I fear my own blood.................my body has been in some WEIRD places.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
On 1October I will give my 127th pint.
Reason? The Golden Rule.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#29]
few pints. starting in 10th or 11th grade. after they fucked up and didn't hit a good vein once so that halfway full it slowed down and clotted up in the tube, and then another time dug around in both arms with that huge needle and found nothing to get blood from I said fuck it and stopped going
the non-stop phone calls didn't do much to inspire me either
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Just donated my O neg today to the military blood program.  They were respectful, friendly, clean, discrete, efficient and had good chow.  

The only way I won't donate is on one of those horrible buses.  I've only done that once but it was jammed with people (who didn't have appointments and it became first come first serve) and it smelled like vomit.  

Golden rule, karma, all those too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I donate about 2 or 3 times per year. Done out of a personal selfish reason in that male blood donors have a significantly lower risk of heart attack.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to say, I've had the same experience as rkbar...RI Blood center has always been professional AND they seemed REALLY appreciative. I don't think my kids treat me as well as those people did!

I'm glad you've both had good experiences.  The "privacy" (both when they came out to a site) here once consisted of having the questions asked of donors at both ends of a long table, and the other time they had a thin curtain or screen  set up that went up six feet at most, and you could of course hear the questions being asked & answered on the other side.

On the lancing issue, it was not re-use of the lance itself, but that blood would get on the rest of the device which somehow got on the finger of subsequent people having their finger lanced (smearing it on before or after, I forget which).
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

It means--

"I'm afraid of needles!"  

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Lots, usually from my nose, once from above my right eye (damn southpaws), but I usually got alot more in return on my knuckles than I donated.............oh that.....yeah I've given maybe a dozen times during blood drives........
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I usually donate platlettes twice a month
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#37]
09-17-05

Today I donated my 18th pint.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Four pints whole B+ blood lifetime and 2 units of platelets last time at work.  I honestly had rather donate blood than pay taxes.  It's a real shame it dosen't work out that way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top