Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Stray dogs are a mobile disease carrier after a disaster. They're drinking contaminated water, they're eating rotting garbage. They p00p everywhere. You wouldn't want to get dysentery because some dog licked the hand you eat with.

Oh for chrissakes.

PEOPLE are drinking contaminated water and shitting everywhere. Should we shoot them too?

It only takes a mildly intelligent person to figure out a dog CARCASS causes and spreads MORE disease than a living dog.

The exception of course being rabid dogs, etc. But they aren't shooting dogs because they are rabid.

Again, the BOTTOM LINE is there is more important shit to do than go on fucking Dog Safari.

Any cop with time to fuck around doing this shit isn't doing his job.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Oh for chrissakes. PEOPLE are drinking contaminated water and shitting everywhere. Should we shoot them too?

No, people are not dogs and should be treated as such. However, if you act like a dog (looter), then you'll get shot like one.

It only takes a mildly intelligent person to figure out a dog CARCASS causes and spreads MORE disease than a living dog.
A dog carcass doesn't move around, won't drink anymore, won't eat anymore, and is p00ped out.

Again, the BOTTOM LINE is there is more important shit to do than go on fucking Dog Safari. Any cop with time to fuck around doing this shit isn't doing his job.
There are more important things to do than rescue dogs. Any cop who wastes time coddling a dog is not doing his job. Leave the rescues to the pet people.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard this on a radio program tonight and knew you guys would be on top of it when I got home

Military people have been tossing food to the dogs, JBT's from LA shooting the dogs.  Not the officers who have come from other states.  Sgt. Mike Minton seems to be a real ass in the video.  Just my thought that he is probably driving around the poor black neighborhoods shooting the dogs and not the white parts of town.   This was the kind of crap that the BTK killer did on his job as an enforcement officer.  There are rescue groups in the area attempting to round up the animals.  They have been told they have until the 12th to get them out or they will all be shot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I heard this on a radio program tonight and knew you guys would be on top of it when I got home

Military people have been tossing food to the dogs, JBT's from LA shooting the dogs.  Not the officers who have come from other states.  Sgt. Mike Minton seems to be a real ass in the video.  Just my thought that he is probably driving around the poor black neighborhoods shooting the dogs and not the white parts of town.   This was the kind of crap that the BTK killer did on his job as an enforcement officer.  There are rescue groups in the area attempting to round up the animals.  They have been told they have until the 12th to get them out or they will all be shot.

3AM Shortwave broadcast some 'official' was ask about LEO's shooting dogs...he denied it..said all dogs are being put in the pound for rescue groups. Who  knows...unless they are shooting at YOUR dog. I reckon they take your guns away before they shoot your dog.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Something else I noticed about the video is that those yahoos seemed to be shooting in the direction of the guys with cameras to kill the dogs. What the hell kind of safe firearms handling is that?
I wonder how those assholes would feel if I started shooting in their direction just to whack a few dogs.

Assholes!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Two things I have learned from this whole sad event:

1. Buy more ammo.

2. The government and their agents are not your friend.

This whole thing has started to color my feelings toward the police and national guard. I hoped that would never happen in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

1. Buy more ammo.

2. The government and their agents are not your friend. <--- Police mostly

This whole thing has started to color my feelings toward the police and national guard. I hoped that would never happen in my lifetime.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dunno who is the worst, the looters or the jbt.

Rotten people getting even more rotten . "best for the dog" you bastard , it'd be best for you too . Killin hungry dogs what butthole .
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
You know that I didn't see y'all causing this much of a stink when the video of troops in Iraq shooting dogs made the rounds/ You're going to jump up and say that it's wrong for JBT to do it then it's wrong for your troops to do it too!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you guys think that once these dogs have gone feral and gone into pack life that they can be rehabilitated/reassimilated into domesticated life? I'm sure they are all still good dogs and pet material at the moment, but they will have to revert to doing things the old fashioned way (as in thousands of years-old) and will be a dangerous nuisanse.

Cute and furry only applies when they aren't starving. I gotta agree, it stinks, but they can die quickly now or slowly later. At least shooting them now prevents them from spreading disease.

I'll play devil's advocate: Do you guys have a problem with shooting wild dogs that weren't pets?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:04:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You know that I didn't see y'all causing this much of a stink when the video of troops in Iraq shooting dogs made the rounds/ You're going to jump up and say that it's wrong for JBT to do it then it's wrong for your troops to do it too!

Two fer one ... see below .

Quoted:
Do you guys think that once these dogs have gone feral and gone into pack life that they can be rehabilitated/reassimilated into domesticated life? I'm sure they are all still good dogs and pet material at the moment, but they will have to revert to doing things the old fashioned way (as in thousands of years-old) and will be a dangerous nuisanse.

Cute and furry only applies when they aren't starving. I gotta agree, it stinks, but they can die quickly now or slowly later. At least shooting them now prevents them from spreading disease.

I'll play devil's advocate: Do you guys have a problem with shooting wild dogs that weren't pets?

Sigh ...... OK , one more time .

These are not feral dogs , they were and still are peoples pet's .
Pet's that their owners were FORCED to leave behind .
They are used to people and want to be with them . Which is undoubtedly why
the dog shot behind the red jeep is only a few feet from the shooter Dickhead .

You really don't think it was attacking do you ?

The video clearly shows that the NG guys are not having a problem
with these animals . In fact the solider says  " That's Not Us ! "
when he is told that the police were shooting dogs a few blocks away .

It takes allot longer then 2 weeks for a pet to become wild .... If ever .
Since most just die of starvation .

As for dog's Packing up , that's just what they do .
Have you never seen a group of dogs in a park ?
They form packs as a way of socializing .  

You also need to remember that these are urban dogs , and
more then likely vaccinated against diseases for at least the
next 6 months .

Finally ... No I do not have a problem shooting wild dogs , I don't think
anyone here disputes that .

BUT THAT ISN"T THE CASE HERE
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Dude, I never said they weren't people's pets. If Aliens could beam them up and fly them to safer areas to new owners that wanted them, the world would be a happier place.

Look, you sound like a dog person. Dog people are compasionate. Compassionate people don't let dogs starve to death. Compassionate people don't let dogs feed on dead bodies.

It's better for the dogs. If you take your emotion out of it, shooting them is the right thing to do. No guard soldier is going to brag about having to shoot people's pets to a fucking camera. It's not like he wouldn't rather be at home sipping a beer instead of being ordered to shoot puppies while dead bodies float by. Makes for a shitty vacation to NOLA.

So, when are you going to be driving down there and rescuing the "Displaced Canines"?

Dave

ETA: Dogs form packs as a way of SURVIVING. The social aspect is just part of that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Bullshit! These dogs are being collect by people with a heart and more than half a brain. These idiots don't need to worry about them. They should be protecting people's rights instead of shooting their dogs and taking their guns. These NOPD are scum of the first order.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Those were enemy dogs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#15]
That is a shame!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Look, you sound like a dog person. Dog people are compasionate. Compassionate people
don't let dogs starve to death. Compassionate people don't let dogs feed on dead bodies.

Actually I don't own any pets , and haven’t for the past 6-7 years .
It really has nothing to do with compassion ( Which I have Little Of  ) .
It's more a matter of what you consider right and wrong . To me it's
just wrong because it hasn't reached a point where the animals pose
a real danger .

It's better for the dogs. If you take your emotion out of it, shooting them is the right thing to do. No guard soldier is going to brag about having to shoot people's pets to a fucking camera. It's not like he wouldn't rather be at home sipping a beer instead of being ordered to shoot puppies while dead bodies float by. Makes for a shitty vacation to NOLA.

Again , my argument isn't based on emotion . If I saw a need to kill them
I would have no problem pulling the trigger .  If you watched the video it
showed NG guys were gathering up the animals and giving them food and water
to quote " Keep Them Alive Till The SPCA Can Pick Them Up " .
So I really don't understand where you got that they only saying that
for the camera ??

So, when are you going to be driving down there and rescuing the "Displaced Canines"?

Dave

I've been to NO when it wasn't under fetid water , I didn't like it then .
So I sure as hell won't be going there now , but I did make a donation
to the SPCA a few days ago .

Something I didn't do for the stupid humans who had the choice to
get out of the below sea level bowl after watching a Cat 5 storm
coming at them for 3 days
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's like the ARFCOM paranoia has finally come to fruition.

1) Cops shooting dogs and seeming to enjoy it.

2) Cops confiscating privately owned weapons for the good of society,leaving law abiding citizens unarmed and easy prey.

I think monkeys are flying out of my butt.
The end is near,and
I am getting pissed.

It has turned into a JBT paradise down there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A sad situation all and all.
But the LEO has a point, starvation or a quick end.
Difficult and emotional indeed...

Bullshit he is a triger happy POS.  I hate JBTs

Dude you need to chill the fuck out and get ahandle on yourself.

Think of it in terms of the greater health issue. A couple days ago the chopper jocks(i've been listening to the scanner feeds) were talking about dogs starting to run in packs and getting visious. Some of the folks on the ground were running into what appeared to be rabid/diseased dogs. These animals need to be put down for the same reason that our troops kill them in Iraq, to help control the potential spread of diseases. It's a public health issue. There are already to many public health issues that the rescue crews have to deal with, without having to worry about aggressive dogs that may be rabid or carrying diseases. There is nothing JBT about it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
just another thing to get my BP up.

thisis getting outta hand,  you can see that as posted above they were shooting in the same direction as the camera crew, the  dog was flooping around in the road! Then he pointed at the camera crew..WTF
NO is a major fuck up lain and simple.. and these have  badge/gun power tripping dipshits need to be put in place. I also find it pathetic that the Ng is letting this shit happen! Hell that  the rest of Amercia is letting it happen.  When is  enuff.... enuff already! Whats it gonna take   a  couple of fmailies  dieing fighting it out with JBT( they are not police in my eyes) to leave their homes  and 2000 dogs shot!  freakin sickining......
yet all the lib's cry and moan if some thrid world grub eating fucker  doesnt get a bowl of rice each fuckin day!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#20]
They aren't helping anything.  The freaking cops are going around like kids in a playground.

The NG is doing good.   They understand groups are coming to get the dogs.  WELL FUNDED groups.  

I sure didn't see the cops cleaning up the shitty mess they made by shooting the dog on the fucking road.  

Before I watched it I was thinking this was gonna be another PETA film but GOD DAM the cops are making a bigger mess why don't they do something useful like the NG????????

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife is a real animal lover, she keeps asking me what's happening to the animals left down there.  Looks like I'm going to have to lie to her.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

next 6 months .

Listen to the scanners comming out of NO, some of these dogs were already running in packs three days ago and getting very aggressive. Does that sound like a PET to you?? Not to me, sounds like they are going "native". Look I have a problem with them shooting fido if he is not showing any signs of aggression or diease(like rabies). But if dogs are running in packs, those dogs are a risk to people. Especially if they are aggressive and running in packs. Not all of them need shooting, but I will 100% garuntee you that some do need to be. It is one of the unfortunate things that must be done to control a potential public health threat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

next 6 months .

Listen to the scanners comming out of NO, some of these dogs were already running in packs three days ago and getting very aggressive. Does that sound like a PET to you?? Not to me, sounds like they are going "native". Look I have a problem with them shooting fido if he is not showing any signs of aggression or diease(like rabies). But if dogs are running in packs, those dogs are a risk to people. Especially if they are aggressive and running in packs. Not all of them need shooting, but I will 100% garuntee you that some do need to be. It is one of the unfortunate things that must be done to control a potential public health threat.

Just because they are running in packs, doesn't mean they are feral. Remember, some people, for whatever reason have agressive dogs to begin with, so when they are loose, they are dangerous. As I have agreed to before, if the animals ARE starving, suffering or dangerous, then take them out. But just because they are running in packs, looking for food, does not mean they are starving,feral and dangerous. Dogs naturally have a pack instinct, even as a pet.

The authorities are stretching the truth about this shit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The dogs in Iraq were feral. They were not pets.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Just because they are running in packs, doesn't mean they are feral. Remember, some people, for whatever reason have agressive dogs to begin with, so when they are loose, they are dangerous. As I have agreed to before, if the animals ARE starving, suffering or dangerous, then take them out. But just because they are running in packs, looking for food, does not mean they are starving,feral and dangerous. Dogs naturally have a pack instinct, even as a pet.

The authorities are stretching the truth about this shit.

I agree however the reports comming in that I heard were of aggressive dogs, running in packs. Aggressive being the key word here. I don't agree with shooting the "tail wagging, damn I'm glad to see a human, do you have any food or water for me" friendly fido. Thats not right in my book. But the ones that are aggressive or rabid do need to be shot. And the ones roaming in packs that are aggressive need to be taken care out. Most animals will go feral real quick when a regular source of food and water are not around, that is the current situation. They will revert back to thier survival instincts as soon as its gut tells it hey no food in a couple days better do something.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I have said it before in another topic.. This is what will hapen.

After people are taken out of N.O.L.A. the order will be given to terminateand dispose of remaining all cats, dogs,and other pets found in the city. This is the only logical step to take to prevent the spread off any diseases that will be carried by these animals.

I know that we have a lot of cat and dog lovers here. I have a dog also. Disease control has a strong priority in this case, and you can't take any chances. Also safety of those involved in the clean up will also be a concern. I would not want to work in those conditions.

Face it now. It has to be done.

The need of the many outways the needs of the few(pet owners).

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Buy more ammo.

2. The government and their agents are not your friend. <--- Police mostly<---- ESPECIALLY CHP

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Sucks, but the dogs have been feeding on bodies. Same shit goes on in Iraq. Want some homeless dogs feeding on your mom's body if God forbid she was one of those that drowned there? Move on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh for chrissakes. PEOPLE are drinking contaminated water and shitting everywhere. Should we shoot them too?

No, people are not dogs and should be treated as such. However, if you act like a dog (looter), then you'll get shot like one.

A dog carcass doesn't move around, won't drink anymore, won't eat anymore, and is p00ped out.

Again, the BOTTOM LINE is there is more important shit to do than go on fucking Dog Safari. Any cop with time to fuck around doing this shit isn't doing his job.
There are more important things to do than rescue dogs. Any cop who wastes time coddling a dog is not doing his job. Leave the rescues to the pet people.

A dead carcass doesn't HAVE to move to contaminate a flooded areas.

And who the hell said cops should be conducting dog RESCUES?!?

They don't have time, they also don't have time for dog safaris.

There is not a SINGLE REASON for cops to be running around shooting dogs, they have more important shit to do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

There is not a SINGLE REASON for cops to be running around shooting dogs, they have more important shit to do.

R & R for those who missed the bus to Vegas?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If they are killing PETS in Iraq it is just as wrong. But feral dogs are a different matter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have said it before in another topic.. This is what will hapen.

After people are taken out of N.O.L.A. the order will be given to terminateand dispose of remaining all cats, dogs,and other pets found in the city. This is the only logical step to take to prevent the spread off any diseases that will be carried by these animals.

I know that we have a lot of cat and dog lovers here. I have a dog also. Disease control has a strong priority in this case, and you can't take any chances. Also safety of those involved in the clean up will also be a concern. I would not want to work in those conditions.

Face it now. It has to be done.

The need of the many outways the needs of the few(pet owners).

Control of disease is mot much of a concern to me regarding this situation at all.
You might get something and spread it to others. Perhaps we should shoot you. Maybe we should do it now before it is too late.

These animals are not going to spread disease. Rubbish. What about all the ones they've already taken in? If disease was being spread so rampantly in these pets what would you think would happen?

Now some may actually be a dnager to people and that is fine but that is not what it sounds like is going on.

Yeah, they may be eating Grandma Millie. Let me tell ya, Grandma Millie ain't looking too good anyway, okay? And it ain't bothering her right now. If someone's dog eats my carcass to survive one day I could really give a shit.

Instead of shoving people out they ought to be getting SOME of them back in and pay THEM to do the f'ing cleanup.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I just got back from N.O.  

NO, we didn't shoot any dogs, confiscate any guns, or anything else like that.  We DID offer to rescue about 50 people, with 14 taking us up on the offer.  Most were going to wait it out.  We were boat based rescue in the rougher part of town and in the deeper waters on the North end of town between I-10 and Ponchertrain.  

No running water for months, no electricity for months, no grocery stores...  Thousands of utillity poles were toppled.  This is a lot more complicated than just draining a few feet of water and throwing the power switch and water pumps on.  

Who will be blamed when these people who refused to leave get sick and die?  the .gov and George W. for sure.  Staying in your house in flooded parts of New Orleans is a very high stakes gamble at best, and more than likely a suicide mission.  

I can't address the dog or gun issue as we weren't involved in that.  We did come accross a lot of dogs stranded out on porches, with no food or clean water.  All the out of state DNR units I worked with were professional in nature and there to rescue people only.  Be carefull with your broad brush stroke mentallity.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Here's the direct link. not sure if it's still active:

www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/photography/2005/katrina_video/stray_dogs_2.mov

ETA: It's still active.

tag
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#35]
btt
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#36]
This whole situation has become nuts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
 Be carefull with your broad brush stroke mentallity.  

Probably the best answer in this post. You Peta lovers just need to take a chill pill. There are reasons and I am sure this video was edited in favor of the animal lovers.
I have a dog and a cat, and nobody wants to shoot the loveable fido's in this world, including myself. But when a dog is Rabid, and dangerous I would have no problem pulling the trigger.
I am sure there are plenty of people who are willing to go help the dogs, so get down there and do it then!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

1. Buy more ammo.

2. The government and their agents are not your friend.

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I just got back from N.O.  

NO, we didn't shoot any dogs, confiscate any guns, or anything else like that.  We DID offer to rescue about 50 people, with 14 taking us up on the offer.  Most were going to wait it out.  We were boat based rescue in the rougher part of town and in the deeper waters on the North end of town between I-10 and Ponchertrain.  

No running water for months, no electricity for months, no grocery stores...  Thousands of utillity poles were toppled.  This is a lot more complicated than just draining a few feet of water and throwing the power switch and water pumps on.  

Who will be blamed when these people who refused to leave get sick and die?  the .gov and George W. for sure.  Staying in your house in flooded parts of New Orleans is a very high stakes gamble at best, and more than likely a suicide mission.  

I can't address the dog or gun issue as we weren't involved in that.  We did come accross a lot of dogs stranded out on porches, with no food or clean water.  All the out of state DNR units I worked with were professional in nature and there to rescue people only.  Be carefull with your broad brush stroke mentallity.  

Sounds like you were doing the right thing and I believe yours is a reasonable assessment.

If only ALL of the authorities in NOLA were conducting themselves in such a manner.

And rest assured we aren't broad brushing anyone. But the problem is not everyone there is conducting themselves as you have. There ARE police officers who are on "dog safari" and there have been instances of people being illegally disarmed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the best answer in this post. You Peta lovers just need to take a chill pill. There are reasons and I am sure this video was edited in favor of the animal lovers.
I have a dog and a cat, and nobody wants to shoot the loveable fido's in this world, including myself. But when a dog is Rabid, and dangerous I would have no problem pulling the trigger.
I am sure there are plenty of people who are willing to go help the dogs, so get down there and do it then!!!

I think the guy in the video was enjoying himself.

Broad brush works both ways.

Just as not ALL police officers are out on dog safari (and nobody ever said it was all of them) not ALL police officers think like you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, shooting dogs is never a happy time, but it ahs to be done sometimes, I have done it myself many times

Have any of y'all ever seen what happens when a pack of dogs goes feral? no fear of humans and they are wilding?   I have seen kids attacked, animals savaged and killed, and I have no doubt that if a pack was hungry they would make a play for me or any other adult......

Some things just have to be done, even if they are unpleasant  

(I have seen dogs go feral in as short a time as a week)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Here we go LEO bashing again.

Who are we to judge, we see a dog getting shot. Maybe it was frothing from the mouth, or hurt and he had compassion on it. I have no problem shooting any animal if I feel that I'm in danger. I bet most of you could not go yoke hunting with out feeling sorry for shooting one.

flame on. my opinion, though not a popular one I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Here we go LEO bashing again.

Who are we to judge, we see a dog getting shot. Maybe it was frothing from the mouth, or hurt and he had compassion on it. I have no problem shooting any animal if I feel that I'm in danger. I bet most of you could not go yoke hunting with out feeling sorry for shooting one.

flame on. my opinion, though not a popular one I'm sure.

I am a hunter. I recently had a bear charge me and survived that.

I feel bad everytime I kill something.

If the dogs were terribly diseased, rabid, dangerous, etc, then it is a job that must be done. That is not how it is being portrayed though. We have to make some judgements about the info coming out of NO. Certainly that involves previous experiences and prejudices. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And just how are these dogs becoming instantly rabid?  They don't.  To become rabid, an animal has to be biten by an animal that is rabid.  There is then an incubation period in the body of the animal that is biten in which the virus transmitted to the animal has to migrate to the brain and multiply to the point at which the animal then becomes infectious.  Just because an animal receives a bite from another rabid animal, that animal is not instantly rabid and foaming at the mouth.  The virus sometimes has a long incubation period.  Reports of the dogs running around foaming at the mouth would not already be from rabies.

CDC...."Any animal bitten or scratched by either a wild, carnivorous mammal or a bat that is not available for testing should be regarded as having been exposed to rabies. Unvaccinated dogs, cats, and ferrets exposed to a rabid animal should be euthanized immediately. If the owner is unwilling to have this done, the animal should be placed in strict isolation for 6 months and vaccinated 1 month before being released. Animals with expired vaccinations need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Dogs and cats that are currently vaccinated are kept under observation for 45 days."

"The incubation period may vary from a few days to several years, but is typically 1 to 3 months.  The acute period of disease typically ends after 2 to 10 days. Once clinical signs of rabies appear, the disease is nearly always fatal, and treatment is typically supportive."

Actually, according to the CDC there appeared to be very few cases of rabies reported in LA.  States in the upper NE U.S. seem to have rampant reports of rabies.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
There ARE police officers who are on "dog safari" and there have been instances of people being illegally disarmed.

There was one 'dog safari' police officer interviewed and maybe two others with him from what I could tell.  That certainly doesn't mean there's a general order to shoot all dogs - yet.

Regarding confiscation of firearms - I have no idea what's really going on with that......  Who's doing it, who authorized it & on what grounds, etc.

Brian

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
My wife is a real animal lover, she keeps asking me what's happening to the animals left down there.  Looks like I'm going to have to lie to her.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Well, shooting dogs is never a happy time, but it ahs to be done sometimes, I have done it myself many times

Have any of y'all ever seen what happens when a pack of dogs goes feral? no fear of humans and they are wilding?   I have seen kids attacked, animals savaged and killed, and I have no doubt that if a pack was hungry they would make a play for me or any other adult......

Some things just have to be done, even if they are unpleasant  

(I have seen dogs go feral in as short a time as a week)

There are so many things wrong about your post I'm not even gonna start.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top