Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/20/2001 4:25:15 PM EDT
Any opinion welcome
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:32:16 PM EDT
Hate them. Least of all for their politics. BECAUSE: I think they're monotonous. My friends who have seen them live say they didn't like them until seeing them live. Why's that? Because of their energy and and being "tight". Well, it's not hard to be tight with such simple rhythms. I've never heard anything good by them. Oh, and then there is their lame-ass communist politics. [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:32:40 PM EDT
They fucking SUCK! The only way these dirtbags would support owning guns would be to further their communist ideals. Give me a break. Just another bunch of commie want to be dictators. And as far as their music.... Mediocre at best. Sure, there's a song or two that are catchy, but not worth listening to if I have to be preached to about their warped sense of the way the world should be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:36:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Canadian(gun)nut: Any opinion welcome
View Quote
I liked their first album (never did pay much attention to the lyrics other than to Bullet In The Head & Killing In The Name, wonder why?) for the music, back then it was new. Now it's obviously not so new, and there's too much politics around the band. But I must admit I'm interested in hearing what they recorded together with Chris Cornell (Soundgarden.)
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:38:26 PM EDT
Boo, shaka, boo. They remind me of "Mother's Milk" era Chili Peppers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:39:04 PM EDT
Good tunes, bad lyrics. Turn it up until you can't hear the words.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:41:39 PM EDT
They are capitalist pigs. They cry out for the oppressed and the poor of other nations, yet they are raking in the dough...
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:41:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Canadian(gun)nut: Any opinion welcome
View Quote
I used to think they kicked assback since they first came around up until about 6 months ago when I actually paid attention to some of the lyrics, then read the lyrics. They are American-hating lefty enemies of freedom who need to be shipped to china. And when are you all going to help me in the infiltration of their bulleting board? they're worse than demo-underground. [url]http://ultimate.infopop.com/~rageagainst/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi[/url] go to the politics section
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:45:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By seamusmcoi: The only way these dirtbags would support owning guns would be to further their communist ideals.
View Quote
You're correct, a quote I'd seen was something like "of course guns are a necessary evil to allow us to take the power back" "Are you involved in a plot to overthrow the US government." Isn't there some sort of fine print like that on a form 4473? I'd say thats a federal crime owning guns and preaching about that assuming they have any guns that were bought on paper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:51:14 PM EDT
"Killing in the Name Of" was a killer riff, everything else since then has gone downhill. Sometimes I think they just build their new songs out of what funny sounds Tom Morello can coax outta his guitar. And I really hate how the critics fall all over themselves smoking Rage pole for their "enlightened" politics. Just re-hashed Clash commie BS 20 years later.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:33:20 PM EDT
I saw them live back in '97 on their "free to choose" tour. The show was flat and mechanical. I used to like them when they first started playing. Honestly, I think they sold out. I wouldn't pay to see them again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:42:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:47:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sweep: Loved that song where the singer just keeps saying over and over again: "F%^& YOU! I won;t do what you tell me!"
View Quote
That would be "Killing In The Name".
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:00:57 PM EDT
I personally love them. While they don't share my same plitical veiws, they preach constantly about rebelling against government control, questioning all authority and speaking out about what you believe in. People forget that the government is not supposed to have the control the people are and I think rage tries to remind us of that. Hell in one of their songs I think it is called "Renegades of funk" they give credit to Thomas Paine, Martin Luther King, and Malcomb X for speaking out against oppression. They also do all of this with tremendous passion. I am as pro liberty as you can get but I still respect Rage for speaking out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:03:08 PM EDT
I just posted on their site. I can't wait till the flames start. The sniveling little college whinos that frequent the site won't have flames anywhere near as interesting as those I've seen on this site.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:17:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:09:32 PM EDT
I bought a car and the previous owner left a CD of theirs in the CD player. I ended up loving it(this was about 3 years ago and I dont remember the title). I never paid any attention to their politics though. Guess what I forgot to take out of the CD player when I sold the the same car later though!
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:20:33 PM EDT
I have recently got to like them i have two of there CDS (burned) renagades and Battle of LA i dont agree with everything they say but at least they speak up for what they think and they got some catchy tunes
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:07:01 AM EDT
Dig the music... ... disregard the politics.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/24/2001 5:19:24 AM EDT by SliPkNoT]
Their whole communism thing is a gimick. Its a phony image. theres no way they're really communists - communism is a "Nothing for Everybody" form of government, yet rage are laughing all the way to the bank. sure they have their charities (like giving money to free tibet- yet what are the tibetans going to do with it when most have taken vows of poverty and complete pacifism?) but so do plenty of other bands like U2. Bottom line: they already have millions, and if they give some money to tibet all they need do to make it up is to have another tour...sell a bunch of tickets...sell their concert T-shirts for $25 each...hmmm doesn't sound too much like communism to me...sounds like good old american capitalism. if they were really commies, wouldn't they just have lines where the people could be issued their concert ticket, CD, and T-shirt for free much like russians in a bread line during their communist years? oh, most of zack's lyrics of paranoid racial fantasies/conspiracies are a crock too. all that being said, i really respect them for their music and for trying new ideas during the early 90s. any rock or metal band that has a guy rapping in it is a direct result of rage against the machine. their sound blew me away back then and still does. i was really glad to see Tim C. "protesting" at the Mtv (a.k.a. the musical anti-christ) awards when Limp bizkit got the award over them. i thought he was protesting Mtv's decision for awarding a plagerist derivitave band (limp bizkit) over one which was a risk taking originator (rage). they interviewed him afterward and when asked why he did it he didn't have much to say about it. i was a bit disappointed by that. All the coat tail riding derivative rap metal bands out there should forward their paychecks directly to three genious bands: Korn, Deftones, and Rage against the machine. i ragged on this band for being "fake" commies - which they are...and for zacks stupid phony conspiracy lyrics but other than that rage are one of the best and most influential rock/metal bands of the 90's, IMO....i love 'em!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:37:11 AM EDT
All the coat tail riding derivative rap metal bands out there should forward their paychecks directly to two genious bands: Korn and Rage against the machine.
View Quote
Korn: genious [snicker] You have got to be kidding me. Korn would be nothing without Pantera.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:13:52 PM EDT
you guys got some good taste! ditto. music ^. lyrics v. since you mention pantera, anyone dig 'down'?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:10:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:40:08 PM EDT
I can't stand RATM! I hate their music and their politics. Even though they preach to minorities, the majority of their fans are white college preps that are too stupid to understand what the music/lyrics are all about anyway. The best news I head was that RATM had broken up. So what, have they reformed now with Chris Cornell? Or did they just do some recording with him? If Chris Cornell is the new lead singer, it wont be the same band. Maybe that's a good thing. However, having Chris Cornell on board sure wont improve their lyrics. He sucks as a lyrists. USPC40 ------------------------------------------------- [b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url] [b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url] [b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url] [b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 12:00:10 AM EDT
The only redeeming thing Rage ever did was allow Maynard James Keenan to perform on "Know Your Enemy. Maynard joined them live for that rousing little ditty when I saw them on Lollapalooza. Machinehead rocks. Pantera is cool but after an album or two, MONOTONOUS.
Top Top