User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am forced to wear a seatbelt.

Whats the difference?

They told us what to do in our cars, they can tell us what to do on mototcycles.

The point is, you shouldn't be required to wear a seatbelt in the car, either. The whole "two wrongs don't make a right" thing comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I keep hearing this public burden argument this over and over, and I'm beginning to think it's "true" because it gets repeated ad nauseum. You guys that keep insisting insurance rates are higher because of unhelmeted riders need to start showing some proof.

I didn't think that the "public burden" argument had anything to do with insurance rates. I thought that the "public burden" came about when brain-injured riders maxed out their private insurance in taking care of their injuries then had to be transferred over onto the Medicaid (welfare) system.

I agree with you about insurance rates...they don't go up one way or another with respect to helmets vs. no helmets. That's because the insurance companies can quantify the extent of their risk pretty well......they know that, if Joe Rider wrecks and becomes ventilator dependent that they're only out whatever the maximum payout is on the insurance policy. If Joe lives 2 years or twenty years, the ins. co. is still just out that fixed amount. But if Joe uses up his insurance benefit in two years, then goes on to live another 18 years, guess who pick's up the tab for the rest of his medical care? Joe Taxpayer.

ETA: Oh, yeah,.......just for the record, I don't think the .gov should legislate helmet use.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I vote no on the helmet laws.  That said, I ride nearly every day and wouldn't be caught without helmet, gloves, leathers, boots.  I figured I survived many helmetless rides when I was younger and I'm not taking any more chances.  BTW, even though I don't think there should be a helmet law and people should be allowed to make their own choices, I hate the idiots who try to make the claim that helmets are less safe cause they affect your hearing and vision.  Absolute idiotic nonsense.

Well, technically helmets ARE less safe....until you are actually involved in a freakin CRASH

I rode in-town (under 40 mph) without a helmet ONCE on my GSXR1100.
I have never felt so vulnerable in my life. I don't know if it was the noise of the engine - which you don't normally hear over the pipe, or what, but I would never do it again.

creepy

That being said, NO - to helmet AND seatbelt laws. But you won't catch me without either.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How are insurance rates seriously affected? I contend that there is no change. I'm familiar with the rationale behind this thinking, but I have yet to see actual proof of increased rates due to unhelmeted riders sustaining head injuries.

I keep hearing this public burden argument this over and over, and I'm beginning to think it's "true" because it gets repeated ad nauseum. You guys that keep insisting insurance rates are higher because of unhelmeted riders need to start showing some proof.

How much money does it cost to keep a brain dead person alive?

A lot more than someone with a concusion.

Insurance recoups this cost by charging everyone more.

Higher rates are not necessarily because of people not wearing helmete but because of retards in general.  These people create situations where people who would either not get hurt or only be slitly injurd become serverly injured, requiring more money to help them.

I am against helmet/seat belt laws though.  Just don't leave a mess on your way out
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am forced to wear a seatbelt.

Whats the difference?

They told us what to do in our cars, they can tell us what to do on mototcycles.

The point is, you shouldn't be required to wear a seatbelt in the car, either. The whole "two wrongs don't make a right" thing comes to mind.

I am not defending any side, just voicing my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]

No on laws, but riding without a helmet has to be one of the stupidest thing a human can do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IBTP - In Before The Poll

I vote NO on mandatory laws...............but I will ALWAYS wear a helmet.  

My noggin is worth protecting, but I'm not sure if your's is - so I don't want to force it on you.  

I agree, F mandatory. Use your god given sense and your freedom to choose.
You want a crushed noggin and your over 21 go for it but I don't want to pay your medical bills.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
NO
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#9]
No. We have too many people in this country as it is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
No helmet laws...!

That said, I been riding for 37yr's. Motocrossed and drag raced for a number of yr's. I've always wore a helmet and won't ride without one.

It's none of my business what others choose to do tho...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
No!

70% of my riding is with a helmet on.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Would helmet laws help protect us from people firing into the air while celebrating?hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Until we all have Hillary-Care, we don't need the government to protect people from themselves.  If someone wants to run around with scisors, let him... if they want to drive around without a helmet, or seatbelt... it doesn't hurt me.  If you're too stupid to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, you're probably not worth a damn anyway.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
No helmet laws
No anti gun laws
No abortion laws
No seatbelt laws
No anti speech laws
No drug laws

Wait a minute, there seems to be a trend here,
maybe this guy is a libertarian or something,
maybe he understand the difference between "rights"
and intelligent choices, maybe this guy is on to something
like "FREEDOM," personal responsibility, the 'choice' to
monitor one's actions, the idea of not doing the right thing
because the Government says so, but doing the right thing
because it's right to be a productive member of ones society.

I am an adult, and in a "FREE NATION" I have the RIGHT to
do what ever I want to my body.

If I want to protect myself by wearing a helmet: I have the right to do so or not
If I want to protect myself by wearing a seatbelt: I have the right to do so or not
If I want to protect myself with a gun: I have the right to do so or not
If I want to put a substance in my body: I have the right to do so or not
If I was a women and I wanted to cut out an unborn baby from my womb,
(sad to say, this is the right of the woman, no matter how immoral it may be), She has that right
to do so or not.

True FREEDOM comes at a high price my friends:
Morons get to crack there skulls on pavement
Morons get ejected from cars because they did not put there seat belt on
Morons abuse drugs and destroy their lives
Morons remove unwanted unborn from their wombs
Morons choose not to arm themselves to protect their own families

The 'Bill of Rights' protects you from the government.
Only you can protect yourself from morons.

Educate yourself and your family.  Instill morals in yourself and your family.
Tell them to wear helmets, and seatbelts.  Tell them of the dangers of drug abuse.
Tell them they need to learn to defend themselves. Tell them that they should never
be negligent enough to put them in the situation of wanting an abortion.  Don't forget
to encourage their love of freedom what ever the costs are.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top