Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
They should stamp their hands with the ink that only shows up on a black light just like they do when you are underage in da club.  The stamp could say "this n***a got paid bitch."  I hope that doesn’t violate the CoC, that is not my intention.

IBTRL... didn't you see what happened to the threaded devoted entirely to the "debit cards"? I'm pretty sure putting *** doesn't really mask the violation enough to avoid a lock.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The more I hear, the less I care about these "people".

I agree.  Mayby it is an AZ thing?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The more I hear, the less I care about these "people".

I agree.  Mayby it is an AZ thing?

I was getting flamed about a week ago for my position being that I could essentially care less about these "people". Seems like now, as the situation "grows", more people are taking a less "touchy feely" position on the whole thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Well....<sigh>...folks who live in projects are generally there for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Man I hope this doesn't get locked.  

Talked to some people about Houston.  Here is the scoop-  A bunch of folks went down from Calvary Baptist Church in Lufkin (I have relatives there) to the Astrodorm to help out.  SEVEN of their cars were broken into in the parking lot!!!  Glad we haven't seen much like that in Austin yet.  Also, they decided to give the evacuees in Houston a little bit of responsibility for themselves and something positive to do.  JJ or Al Sharpton was saying the other day that the "black folk are being locked out of the positions of power over a tragedy that mainly affects them."  Or something to that effect.  Well they put some evacuees in charge of making sure that the bathroom lines flowed properly and that no one was cutting in line etc.  They came back a few minutes later to find the newly appointed bathroom monitors charging money for admission to the bathrooms.  LMAO    Never ceases to amaze me.  

I have to feed my twins but I am going to call up to the station and see if they have any news for me to report.  Expect one more post before the night is up.

Debo
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I say instead of locking the thread.  Maybe the Mod can just remove the bad part?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OK-  Update from Austin.  Things look pretty much the same inside although there are only a few empty beds which leads us to believe that the population has gone back up.  There is an increased level of gang activity that the police are trying to quell.  More gang signs and colors and such.  They said that inside it is a little bit louder as well.  People playing boom boxes and being more vocal.  Today FEMA showed up with the debit cards and there was a rush for them.  People were knocked down and pushed out of line.  Two fights before the police settled things down and took control.  People have been walking by the station with bags and boxes of food from other places, restaurants, carry out, so they must have gotten their cards or money from somewhere.

One of the medical folks in charge was looking to raise the temperature in the dorm.  I don't know why but evidently she thought it was too cold in there.  Obviously she has never seen the icicles hanging in the dorm of a fire station.  On another medical note they said that any linens that have been soiled by ANY bodily fluids (I won't go down the list) are to be treated as Biohazard and placed in a red bag.  They are as dangerous as a dirty needle in other words.  Apparently Houston has had an outbreak of disentary and they are trying to stop it from happening here.

This thread worthless without pics

I am working on pictures.  Will be taking the camera to work on Saturday and there should be some good pics and video of Saturday night up on Sunday.  There is an 18 and up hip hop nightclub across the street from the station and the shelter and a normal Saturday night there brings us lots of fighting, puking, public urination, and other niceties.  The wall out front is named the "Piss, Puke and Punch Wall".  This Saturday should be exceptional.  There is an engine company going to the Convention Center to work in the AM so I am going to try to either tag along or try to talk to them before they get off work so you guys get an update tomorrow.

The general attitude at the place is still pro-Fireman.  The guys reported getting a few more "thank yous" and blessings today.  Alot of the people there are saying that they are just settling in and waiting to see what kind of housing they get.  We are settling in for the long haul too.

Debo

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Maybe the Mod can just remove the bad part?

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Was at the local funshop today here in Plano and the guys there said that they had people from Houston buying up hardware. Also, already had some of the refugees trying to buy handguns already.

Marvellous. Just fucking marvellous.

wganz

ETA: Wonder if the refugee's were going to use their debit cards for their new gats??
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad we haven't taken in all that many here in SA.  They're all on the south side of town anyway, occupying KellyUSA, hopefully they'll stay there.  

I'm starting to have less and less sympathy for these people, too...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I wish I could say that your experiences were not predictable. Unfortunately that is just not the case.

Yup, trash is as trash does. Regardless of skin color.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like Hugo Chavez's wet dream
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Was at the local funshop today here in Plano and the guys there said that they had people from Houston buying up hardware. Also, already had some of the refugees trying to buy handguns already.

wganz

ETA: Wonder if the refugee's were going to use their debit cards for their new gats??

Damn, refugees up in Plano?

Was it Bullet Trap?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wganz

Damn, refugees up in Plano?

Was it Bullet Trap?

Nope, GunMaster which is almost Allen.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm glad we haven't taken in all that many here in SA.  They're all on the south side of town anyway, occupying KellyUSA, hopefully they'll stay there.  

I'm starting to have less and less sympathy for these people, too...

There's probably more in SA then you think. Kelly USA is only one evac center in the city. The Levi Strauss building and Windsor Park mall are a couple of the other larger camps. There are several other smaller ones scattered throughout the city.

I've been working Kelly all week (but was able to get this weekend off). They have buildings 171 and 1536 set up as housing, with 171 also serving as a processing station. The "evacuees" pretty much have free reign of the entire installation, since it is no longer a military base.

To date, we haven't had any real problems on Kelly, presumably due to the overwhelming police presence there. I have heard that the guys at Levi Strauss haven't been so lucky, with an increase in "gang activity" almost daily. Most of the people who I have talked to, have been very appreciative of the relief assistance that the city of San Antonio and the state of Texas has provided, but as the saying goes, "you can't polish a turd", there have been some instances of bangers tagging the inside of the housing complexes.

There have also been quite a few arrests on the south side and east side of the city, of these poor, downtrodden souls purchasing narcotics with their free money. It's aggrivating to think that this free money is at the expense of the US taxpayer.

Just have to look at the forest as opposed to the individual tree, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Cheney came to visit today.  It was quite comical the way the brass handled it.  They had everyone saying "The Package" on the radio instead of "VP Cheney".    At the same time they were doing all that, CNN was on the big screen inside saying "VP Cheney coming to visit the Austin Convention Center......"  It was funny.  

I am sure that you will see all kinds of airtime on the news about the huge gathering of protesters standing outside during Cheney's visit.  We drove by and saw all of the cameras and the people holding up signs like"Way to little, Way too late" and "Cheney go fuck yourself".  Trust me, there were more cameras than there were punk-ass, smelly Birkenstock-wearing protesters.  

Inside things are pretty much static.  Not much news other than there was a fight this AM, no debit cards (as you have seen on the news) and the kids have been in school for a couple of days this week.  OH, get this, someone said that a memo came down that we were to call the folks next door "clients" and not "refugees".  

One story to relate-  There was a kid dribbling a ball who must have been about 3 years old (by himself of course) and the guys asked him what his name was.  He looked at them like they were speaking Greek.  They asked hime a couple of more times and then just figured that he didn't talk.  About that time another kid grabbed the ball.  He tackled the other kid and said "Hey Muthafucka, gimme my muthafuckin' ball muthafucka!"    Still never ceases to amaze me.  The other Engine Co. from this house is there at the Convention Center with the "Clients" right now so I should have a good update when they get back at around 5pm.  We were supposed to go over there in the morning but a well placed phone call to our Chief took care of that.  No sleep in 24 hours and then go over there at 8AM?  NO THANKS.  Hoping to sneak a camera over there today though and get some pictures.  Once again, Sat. night should be interesting.  

Again this year the outpouring of support from the public on Sept. 11th anniversary is astounding.  I got to the station today and there was candy, brisket, cookies, granola bars, gatorade, fresh fruit, and all kinds of food and flowers stacked up anywhere there was room in the station.  It is amazing and humbling.  Let us not forget those who died that day.  Gonna try to catch a nap before the long Saturday night.

More later,
Debo
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top