Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For those that say that their $30 Casio is just as good, I can equate that comparison to this:

Which would you rather have:

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976546049-1.jpg

or

home.austin.rr.com/perdurabo/sks.jpg

They both do the same thing, right?

One is more accurate than the other (among other things). When it comes to telling time, a $30 is plenty accurate. We're talking about eye candy, here. A better comparison:

What he needs:
gallery.thevboard.com/showpic.php?dispsize=Original&album=yelloov&pic=IMG_1119%20(2).JPG

What he seems to want:
alan.strawinski.net/images/humor/gear.jpg

LMAO......that's great.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for Omega Speedmaster.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
tag heuer

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
For those that say that their $30 Casio is just as good, I can equate that comparison to this:

or

One is more accurate than the other (among other things). When it comes to telling time, a $30 is plenty accurate. We're talking about eye candy, here. A better comparison:

What he needs:
gallery.thevboard.com/showpic.php?dispsize=Original&album=yelloov&pic=IMG_1119%20(2).JPG

What he seems to want:

LMAO......that's great.

Lol, that's funny

I have a couple of cheaper watches already, a titanium Citizen Eco-Drive and a Marthon basic field watch.  Just thought I might want something a little better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or

What he needs:

What he seems to want:

LMAO......that's great.

Lol, that's funny

I have a couple of cheaper watches already, a titanium Citizen Eco-Drive and a Marthon basic field watch.  Just thought I might want something a little better.

Aint' nothin' wrong with wanting something that looks really nice. I'm just having fun, giving you a hard time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

or

Very weak arguement. The top rifle may cost more, but it outperfroms the SKS. Therefore, its additional cost has a tangible performance increase.  A $20 quartz watch will keep time BETTER than a $10,000 Rolex. No increase in performance to justify the increase in price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If youre looking for a casual watch that for the money is tough to beat Oris watches..such as..

http://stores.ebay.com/CHRONOS-FINE-TIME_Oris_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

That guy sells alot of Oris watches...thier automatic movements (swiss) are on par with anything Omega produces.  The Oris divers watch is a one burly watch, but will cost you a little more then $700 to $1000.  If you buy online there are plenty of good deals but thier are plenty of fakes...BEWARE! Do your homework on who youre buying from.  Im expecting a Marathon Tritium watch in the mail any day now...its new-old stock from the desert storm era but should have plenty of tritium left.  Purchased it from... http://chronometer.net/  Chris also sells on ebay and you get better proces then listed on his site under wristwatches. He sells some really nice military style pieces.  Personally I wear Omega, Concord, Oris, Swiss Army, and soon the new Marathon thats on the way..but whats on my wrist right now...good 'ol G-shock.    I would suggest an automatic, mechanical or solar though...relying on batteries sucks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
tag heuer

www.which-watches.com/geartaghuer/images/3573.gif

htexplained.com/watches/Collection/Tag.jpg

I would personally like a Tag myself but can they really be had for less than 1k? The last self winding chronometer that I looked at retailed for almost 2k. I passed up the best deal I was likely to come across a few months ago. A nice repo'd Rolex, the finance company was asking only $1,200 and it was in real nice shape and had an original retail cost of $2,300.00. I'm a little wary of used high dollar watches, however.

Incidentally, some folks can't just pull a cell phone out and look at the time for various reasons and so a watch is a mandatory accessory, cell phone or no. My last watch was a $100 citizen and it was ok..I had it for about three years but put about $25.00 into repairs into and it was beginning to look like crap because of the damage to the finish and crystal.

Now I have a $70.00 Kenneth Cole that was given to me as a gift. It works well enough but I definitely won't spent any money on repair when the crystal cracks, the band breaks, the finish wears off, etc. I'd like to get a Tag next but I will probably look at a seiko since that's much better suited to my budget.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Preowned Omega SMP black or Sinn 856
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or

What he needs:

What he seems to want:

LMAO......that's great.

Nailed it!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#12]
cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Army-9G-600-Titanium-Automatic-Air-Force-Chrono_W0QQitemZ5029547933QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

reliable Valjoux  movement & durable  titanium  case
www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631672313433425752

ETA makes the Valjoux movements & ETA is owned by the Swatch group

the Swatch group owns about 20 Swiss watch manufactures & about another 20 companies
that make Swiss movements(& other watch parts) like ETA & Lemania

these movements are commonly found in watches made by Omega , BlancPain, Breguet, Longines & others

or maybe this
cgi.ebay.com/SPORTY-NEW-SWISS-ARMY-F-A-18-AUTOMATIC-WATCH-B-P_W0QQitemZ5029473455QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you might lok for a nice Revue Thommen too , they have good Swiss automatic & quartz movements
as well as some titanium cased watches
cgi.ebay.com/Revue-Thommen-Automatic-Airspeed-Blk-Model-9516002_W0QQitemZ5031398641QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Get yourself a nice Orvis watch($40.00) and use the rest for accessories on you next build.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#14]
forget the watch, buy 2 young hookers and have a good time!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
forget the watch, buy 2 young hookers and have a good time!

I am pretty sure my wife would prefer the watch...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
No one has has said anything about Lumuminox? They are very solid, and the titanium series is a lot lighter and more comfortable than a stainless tag or rolex. I gave my seiko 200m auto away because of the weight. And the luminox watches all have swiss quartz movement. and I think they have some automatics as well? I have a titanium and one of the navy seals line. I wear the navy seals one everyday, and it actually keeps better time than my seiko did. oh and one more thing, they are affordable but not cheap.
my .03
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I would buy a watch that would tell me how to reassess my priorities about spending that much money on a watch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No one has has said anything about Lumuminox? They are very solid, and the titanium series is a lot lighter and more comfortable than a stainless tag or rolex. I gave my seiko 200m auto away because of the weight. And the luminox watches all have swiss quartz movement. and I think they have some automatics as well? I have a titanium and one of the navy seals line. I wear the navy seals one everyday, and it actually keeps better time than my seiko did. oh and one more thing, they are affordable but not cheap.
my .03

The main issue I have with them is that they seem to claim they are issued watches and the consensus is that is false.  I don't like being lied to.  I could be wrong...

I thought about getting another version of the SandY 650, but I am not sure that is what I what.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think I would buy a watch that would tell me how to reassess my priorities about spending that much money on a watch.

How much do those cost?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

Common sense always wins out

Yup!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'd save up some more and get a used ROLEX.hr

* I * would save up some more and get a used Patek-Philippe.  Simple, slim, and hardly anyone knows what they are, so a salesman could probably wear one "safely".

£a B

Edited:  Two korrect my crumby speeling.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd save up some more and get a used ROLEX.

* I * would save up some more and get a used Patek-Philippe.  But I have excellent taste in watches.

£a B

I would too if I was willing to spend $15,000 to $20,000 on a watch. But, I would rather have 2 DIASs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Patek
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#24]
sig sauers keep excellent time
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Luminox SEAL stainless steel watch with Waterborne Dive band - $200 or so for watch - $20 for rugged nylon band.................100 percent reliable, tritium lighting......

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

Common sense always wins out

+1

Exactly.  ...OR you could buy a nice handgun with the leftovers.

HH
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Try Bernard Watch.  They have great deals on watches, some used, some new.

Here is an example, this one is a Quartz Watch, the autos are around $1300.00

Omega Seamaster Pro: Stainless Steel Head and Bracelet, black dial and bezel, quartz, date, sapphire crystal, Water Resistant 300m, Ref. 2264.50, 41mm, Retail=$1595, Never Worn In Box with Papers + BW Warranty... $1095 (OMG226450)

This is a really nice watch.

Omega Seamaster Pro

Bernard Watch
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Try this link as well, lots of really nice watches.

Watches $700.00 to $1000.00
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I defenitely would reccomend Bernard Watch.  The owner is named Jeff..he's a nice guy and stands behind everything he sells.  He even has his own line of watches called Avier.  Havent seen one in person but have heard nothing but good things.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Try this link as well, lots of really nice watches.

Watches $700.00 to $1000.00

this looks like a nice one here,
www.bernardwatch.com/detail/detail-RW56.html    ....hmmm

if your going to save up, save up for a ZENITH  or Jaeger LeCoultre
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am selling some stuff on ebay so that I can buy a decent watch.  I have always wanted a nicer watch.  What would you pick in the $700-$1,000 price range? I am thinking that I might get more for money buying a pre-owned watch off ebay, but I am sure there are some risks with that...

I know, I know...Timex for $20....Timex for $20...

I'm happy with my SubMariner, although I bought it new.

The used Rolex market can be difficult to navigate, not only do people try to pass off complete fakes, some better than others, but I've personally had a couple of 'genuine' Rolex watches come through our shop that actually had the movements replaced with a cheap movement. The genuine movement is valuable, more than the case. If you aren't sure of the watch, have the dealer open the back so you can see the movement yourself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I didn't read all of the posts, but here is my .02...

Avoid TAG in the up through $1200- $2000 range.  I have had/seen many problems with them.  Plus, some (not I) call them the H2 of watches...  "So you couldn't afford the Rolex?"

For a few hundred, you can get a Seiko automatic, which educated people will instantly recognize as a very intelligent, sensible watch.

If you could add a zero, a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak would be my choice, or perhaps a Patek Philippe.   These are two examples of "uber watches"

Rolex, Omega and Breitling are the big three for high end "production watches"

IMHO, get a Timex, Suunto, G-Shock, Seiko automatic, or step up to the "big three"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Tag Heuer

Best

Watch

Ever
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am selling some stuff on ebay so that I can buy a decent watch.  I have always wanted a nicer watch.  What would you pick in the $700-$1,000 price range? I am thinking that I might get more for money buying a pre-owned watch off ebay, but I am sure there are some risks with that...

I know, I know...Timex for $20....Timex for $20...

I'm happy with my SubMariner, although I bought it new.

Under a grand...Will get you a 6694 (Oyster Precision)  Maybe a  Datejust ( big maybe) Probably not going to find a sport model... Whatever you find will probably need svc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that we are at least two of the guys on here who could buy any watch we wanted, funny how a nice $100 watch is good enough.

I'm in that club too, I can buy whatever I want.  A few years ago I did.  I bought a Rolex
GMT Master and a couple of Breitlings.  Guess where they are?  In the safe. Guess
what's on my arm?  Cheapo digital from Target.

Rolexes are a pain in the ass if you don't wear them every day since they run down.
If you deal with customers at all, they look at you like you're an asshole when you try to
sell things and dont' want to give discounts.  "You can buy a Rolex so you need to give me
more discount".  Keep your money, put it somewhere it will do some good.  

You don't
want to hear this because your ego is screaming in your ear, but the only time
you  should buy a watch like that is if you have so much money that you don't blink
when you spend it.

What????  I wear this for me... And for the record.. Most people dont even notice I have it on.  

Most people notice the Fortis.. ( White dial) it was 450.00

I also blink when I spend money...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Chase Durer or Tag Heuer.

ETA:  Oops. I forgot Fortis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Why not just look at the time on your cell phone and forget the watch all together....?

flap
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Movado.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Get an Ollech and Wajs.  All the parts (including movement) of a Rolex without the price.

-White Horse

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Hold off, and stuff more money into your piggy bank.

I'd say double your budget as in my opinion you are a bit too low to get a decent mechanical.

That being said....DO NOT PAY UP FOR A FUCKING QUARTZ WATCH.  Buy a Seiko instead.  I met a guy once who was bragging about his Cartier...and it was a quartz.  I didnt know how to react really...whether to hit him or laugh at him for paying A LOT of money for a watch which was basically a Seiko.  Not that there is anything wrong with Seiko watches...I love them.  Bulletproof.

Anyways, I like watches quite a bit.  Personally, one day, I stumbled across an image of a Breitling Blackbird and realized it was the watch that I had imagined for myself, as cheesy as that sounds.  It took me a year of stalking Ebay looking for a deal on the watch as well as a reputable seller.  Finally, I got it...a Blackbird...bought it way below what I perceived the market value on the watch.  The seller even commented as such...

Bottom line?  Be patient.  Buy used.  Do your research on the movement, etc. to make sure it is what you want.

There is a wealth of information here....

www.timezone.com

Objectively, the world of expensive watches is a silly business when you can buy a quartz LCD which will do the job of telling time better.  However, over a few years of browsing around Timezone.com you do develop a genuine appreciation of the old school technology of a nice mechanical watch.  At least I did.

Bottom line?  Do your research, evaluate the market on what you like, and strike when you see fit.

Overalll, it took me about five years to finally buy my really nice watch.  A Breitling Blackbird.  I love it.

And, I can justify it by knowing that I could sell it for more than I bought it for.  I got lucky.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'd say double your budget as in my opinion you are a bit too low to get a decent mechanical.

That being said....DO NOT PAY UP FOR A FUCKING QUARTZ WATCH.  Buy a Seiko instead.  I met a guy once who was bragging about his Cartier...and it was a quartz.  I didnt know how to react really...whether to hit him or laugh at him for paying A LOT of money for a watch which was basically a Seiko.  Not that there is anything wrong with Seiko watches...I love them.    Bulletproof.  

Anyways, I like watches quite a bit.  Personally, one day, I stumbled across an image of a Breitling Blackbird and realized it was the watch that I had imagined for myself, as cheesy as that sounds.  It took me a year of stalking Ebay looking for a deal on the watch as well as a reputable seller.  Finally, I got it...a Blackbird...bought it way below what I perceived the market value on the watch.  The seller even commented as such...

Bottom line?  Be patient.  Buy used.  Do your research on the movement, etc. to make sure it is what you want.

www.timezone.com

Objectively, the world of expensive watches is a silly business when you can buy a quartz LCD which will do the job of telling time better.  However, over a few years of browsing around Timezone.com you do develop a genuine appreciation of the old school technology of a nice mechanical watch.  At least I did.

Bottom line?  Do your research, evaluate the market on what you like, and strike when you see fit.

Overalll, it took me about five years to finally buy my really nice watch.  A Breitling Blackbird.  I love it.

And, I can justify it by knowing that I could sell it for more than I bought it for.  I got lucky.

Sure about that? this is a firearms website......maybe we should test it
j/k
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I think a watch just has to look nice, unless you're in a room full of suits (or similar situation) and they judge you based upon your watch.

The thing is, a watch is a watch is a watch; there is very little difference between 'good enough' $200 watch from discout place and 'damn good' $15000 watch, effectively (if comparing to AR's) the same as the difference between an AR and an AR with an accuwedge - aside from maybe the feel of it, you can't tell the difference under normal circumstances. On the outside, one AR may have a nicer finish, or an optic (referring to moon cycle dials on watches, and useless crap like that. Think of the optic as being equated to a date dial, someone one actually uses once in a while). That, and there are brands in all categories that make disfunctional crap.

In any case, I'm happy with my POS Zeitner, it gets the job done and doesn't looks too crappy. I will probably get a nicer watch one of these days though as the face is a bit beat up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#43]
get one of these. made in the Deutsheland and runs as well as my Rolex. You can pick one up used for about 1k.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
A used Omega Seamaster or Speedmaster.

Hooah and +1 to that.  You can get a LOT of nice Omega (used in perfect condition) for that kind of money.  I've got an early 60's stainless Constellation O.C. Chonometer.  Beautiful classy watches, Omegas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That being said....DO NOT PAY UP FOR A FUCKING QUARTZ WATCH.  Buy a Seiko instead.  I met a guy once who was bragging about his Cartier...and it was a quartz.  I didnt know how to react really...whether to hit him or laugh at him for paying A LOT of money for a watch which was basically a Seiko.  Not that there is anything wrong with Seiko watches...I love them.  Bulletproof.

www.timezone.com

Doesn't Breitling make a COSC Chrono that has a quartz movement?  Not all quartz movements are the same.  I have some quartz and an auto watch and they all keep good time.  I need to get an Omega manual winder to add to the mix.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Never understood guys and expensive watches.

Seems very chick-like.

Maybe I'm just too practical. I have no vainglorious clothing habits whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#47]
if im gonna pay $800-$1000 for a watch it sure as heck better come with a built in gun, digital camera, mp3 player, flashdrive, phone, walkie talkie and miniature first aid kit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#48]
ive always been a fan of breitling's   one of these days im gonna grab me a  titanium seawolf. when i get an extra coulpe bills in my wallet.  

But in all honesty I think many people over look tissot. they make some very good mechanicals that some call a working mans rolex. you could easily purchase a tissot automatic in the 700-1k area.  

like the seastar .
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Did I mention Stocker & Yale?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I love my TAG Heuer LINK Auto Chronograph. With a simple steel case and a black dial, it attracts very little attention, except from people who actually know what it is. Fortunately, the gold-diggers don't know what a TAG is......

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top