BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
About fucking time.  They think they are "toughing it out", but all they are going to be is a drain on manpower and resources while the government tries to make the city habitable again.

As we used to say working evictions in DC, "We got the writ, and you got to git!"
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I ask this in all seriousness...what is the legal basis for doing this?

I wonder the same thing.

TRG

Emergency Declaration/Martial Law....they can do whatever they want.

If Martial law is declared I think they can if they want to and kill you dead if you resist.   During an emergency, I don't think they have a leg to stand on.  Try and explain it to a local jury of your peers, I don't think they will listen to the Mayor's side.   In Martial law, the courts no longer exist, it would be easier to do.   IMHO & FWIW
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
About fucking time.  They think they are "toughing it out", but all they are going to be is a drain on manpower and resources while the government tries to make the city habitable again.

As we used to say working evictions in DC, "We got the writ, and you got to git!"

Bullshit !

What drain ?   They are taking care of themselves.   They were smart enough to take care of themselves.  

They should be rewarded with a job, like say "Mayor" ! ! !  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit !

What drain ?   They are taking care of themselves.   They were smart enough to take care of themselves.  

Excellent eyewitness account.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]

In Galveston the 1900 storm..  they actuall y raised the Island by 10 feet? by dredge pumping water and sand in for years building it up.. some 2 story homes became one story.. some homes were lifted up on stilts to allow for the sand to flow in.. this should be their agenda..  they have the chance to do it now..  could have never proposed such an issue before..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be hard to leave if your property was fine, near a county line, and the clown across the street in the next county could stay. It should be based on circumstances. If your home was wiped out then insurance will compensate, if your home is fine you are paying your morgage and relocating costs. Just seems like a shitty way to treat survivors.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit !

Oh, come on!

They've got water and food for three months??!!

Bullshit.

If I honestly believed they could be self-sufficient, I would be the first to say, "Let them stay."  But the reality is if you let them stay, within two weeks they will be begging for water, food, gasoline, etc.  It is time for them to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit !

Oh, come on!

Bullshit.

If I honestly believed they could be self-sufficient, I would be the first to say, "Let them stay."  But the reality is if you let them stay, within two weeks they will be begging for water, food, gasoline, etc.  It is time for them to go.

Negative !    This is till America, they can stay if they wish.   They have not declared Martial law yet, until then they can stay.  Now, I'm being serious & no longer joking.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh, come on!

Bullshit.

May I kindly direct you to our nifty survival forum, where many members, including myself, have made long term self sufficiency a goal.  Alternatively, talk to any Mormon... whose religion calls for a full years of food be kept for each family member.

Don't be a sheep.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, come on!

Bullshit.

May I kindly direct you to our nifty survival forum, where many members, including myself, have made long term self sufficiency a goal.  Alternatively, talk to any Mormon... whose religion calls for a full years of food be kept for each family member.

Don't be a sheep.  

+1

What he said !
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Who says it is going to be 3 months before they can go and get water and food?  I don't blame them for wanting to stay and take care of what is thiers.  WHo is going to pay their house payment?  Do upkeep on their property?  A home can go to hell in a matter of months without someone maintaining it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, a compromise then.  They can stay, but the first time that they ask for anything, they are put on a bus and shipped the fuck out.

Who says we can't all get along?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is there anything that guy can't fuck up?

Is he going to eat a baby on national TV next?  

Damn.. You're funny fer a Dutch fella!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
You do realize that no matter what we say ("If they are self-sufficient and don't ask for supplies, let them stay") etc, THEY ARE GOING TO BE FORCED TO LEAVE.  Mayor Nagin has made the decision.  We will see how it plays out.  I do not think that the press will be allowed to watch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Why make anyone leave? I say give them a shovel and bucket and put them to work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You do realize that no matter what we say ("If they are self-sufficient and don't ask for supplies, let them stay") etc, THEY ARE GOING TO BE FORCED TO LEAVE.  Mayor Nagin has made the decision.  We will see how it plays out.  I do not think that the press will be allowed to watch.

Everyone will not leave. I will bet on it. The media gets images of survivors being dragged out of their perfectly intact & dry homes kicking and screaming, you just watch the backlash. It won't happen.

Mayor Nagin is an emotional loud-mouthed idiot, the only ones listening to him are CNN and the other media hacks.

And you guys, apparently
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Bummer. Some homes were left basicaly untouched and those people took appropriate basic preparedness step (water & food storage). They should be allowed to stay.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
WTF is the point of doing this NOW?

Those survivalist types are damaging the self esteem of the sheeple and need to be removed to keep everyone equal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Oh, come on!

Bullshit.

I have food and water for 3 months.  Used to be one year but I got lazy. I'm gonna work back up to that though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, come on!

Bullshit.

I have food and water for 3 months.  Used to be one year but I got lazy. I'm gonna work back up to that though.

As I said, if they demonstrate to the police/military, that they have 3 months of water, food, and medical supplies, and their house has never had contact with the toxic sewage water from the flood, I would let them stay.

Otherwise, they go.  And how many people do you think stayed that have 3 months of water, food, and medical supplies?  People that plan that well would have insurance for their real and personal property and would have already bugged out.  Cat 5 hurricane approaching, and you're trapped in a city mostly below sea level, the logical thing is to leave prior to landfall.

And I bet it will be 3 months before food, water, medical supplies are commercially available in NO.  I'd be willing to bet that a lot of property is going to be leveled before the public is allowed back in to protest.  Areas will be seized to reinforce levees, build more pump houses, pipelines, and more highways well above sea level, and all of this will be done while the city is empty if the Mayor and Governer are at least mildly retarded or smarter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, come on!

Bullshit.

As I said, if they demonstrate to the police/military, that they have 3 months of water, food, and medical supplies, and their house has never had contact with the toxic sewage water from the flood, I would let them stay.

Otherwise, they go.  And how many people do you think stayed that have 3 months of water, food, and medical supplies?  People that plan that well would have insurance for their real and personal property and would have already bugged out.  Cat 5 hurricane approaching, and you're trapped in a city mostly below sea level, the logical thing is to leave prior to landfall.

And I bet it will be 3 months before food, water, medical supplies are commercially available in NO.  I'd be willing to bet that a lot of property is going to be leveled before the public is allowed back in to protest.  Areas will be seized to reinforce levees, build more pump houses, pipelines, and more highways well above sea level, and all of this will be done while the city is empty if the Mayor and Governer are at least mildly retarded or smarter.

Why do they have to be self sufficent for three months to stay?

If I had two week's worth of supplies, and a system in place where family or friends would bring in supplies, then why not let me stay?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, come on!

Bullshit.

Why do they have to be self sufficent for three months to stay?

If I had two week's worth of supplies, and a system in place where family or friends would bring in supplies, then why not let me stay?

Noone is going to be allowed in or out when they start rebuilding the highways.  The city is going to have a massive public works project on a scale never seen before.  This is much easier without civilian traffic going in or out of the city.  That is exactly what the government is trying to accomplish.  In order to rebuild the city at a fast pace, they aren't going to be doing the single lane or bridge at a time construction techniques that occur normally and take years.  They are going to be levelling the structures and rebuilding.  They will be ripping up entire roadways and laying gravel and concrete/blacktop.  This will make the rebuilding task cheaper as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#25]

It was also reported that the 3 star general in charge of the Armed Forces said
his folks will not participate in that operation, only local police.  That's a wise move.

Hope it turns out to be true.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Noone is going to be allowed in or out when they start rebuilding the highways.  The city is going to have a massive public works project on a scale never seen before.  This is much easier without civilian traffic going in or out of the city.  That is exactly what the government is trying to accomplish.  In order to rebuild the city at a fast pace, they aren't going to be doing the single lane or bridge at a time construction techniques that occur normally and take years.  They are going to be levelling the structures and rebuilding.  They will be ripping up entire roadways and laying gravel and concrete/blacktop.  This will make the rebuilding task cheaper as well.

While rebuilding stretches of roads at a time is how it will most likely be done, it would be unlikely that other rebuilding would not be happening at the same time.  Buildings need rebuilt, others need repaired.  That is going to take an unimaginable amount of raw materials.  There will be alot of traffic coming and going from NOLA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I was wrong, it is happening.  I am sorry. The constitution has been flushed down the tolet.

OK guys, the State of Louisiana now says IT WILL NOT forcibly remove residents from their homes.

One more time the mayor of NO is shown to be an Idiot that no one listens to.

Confusion Reigns Over Forced Evacuations
Bush to Ask Congress for Around $50B in Immediate Aid

By Daniela Deane and Jacqueline L. Salmon
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, September 7, 2005; 2:15 PM

Confusion reigned Wednesday over whether officials will force people out of their homes in New Orleans.

A Louisiana official said this morning the state won't make people leave their homes in the besieged city just one day after New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin authorized law enforcement officers and the military to force the evacuation of all residents who refuse to leave. Released late Tuesday, Nagin's emergency declaration targets all those still in New Orleans who have not been designated by government officials as helping with the relief effort

Source: Full Article - Washington Post
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
OK guys, the State of Louisiana now says IT WILL NOT forcibly remove residents from their homes.

One more time the mayor of NO is shown to be an Idiot that no one listens to.

Confusion Reigns Over Forced Evacuations
Bush to Ask Congress for Around $50B in Immediate Aid

By Daniela Deane and Jacqueline L. Salmon
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, September 7, 2005; 2:15 PM

Confusion reigned Wednesday over whether officials will force people out of their homes in New Orleans.

A Louisiana official said this morning the state won't make people leave their homes in the besieged city just one day after New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin authorized law enforcement officers and the military to force the evacuation of all residents who refuse to leave. Released late Tuesday, Nagin's emergency declaration targets all those still in New Orleans who have not been designated by government officials as helping with the relief effort.

Source: Full Article - Washington Post

Yep, he's on the verge of becoming the big joke associated with this event.  A photoshop of him with Chief Charles Moose would be appropriate about now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#29]
According the news, I do not recall the channel, the forcible expulsions will begin tomorrow.  I was watching a pair of police officers going to a house, asking the folks to leave (nicely), and this woman with a gun in a holster steps out of the house next door and screams "YOU AIN'T MAKIN ME LEAVE MY HOUSE.  WE'RE ROOFERS.  WE CAN FIX OUR HOUSE.  WE ARE NOT LEAVING".  I do not believe this is going to be pretty.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It should be all of it.
They are getting in the way of the emergency officials.
Leave the frigging city and let the cleanup begin!

Since there are no functioning businesses and no jobs to go to I don't see how they're getting in the way of any clean-up effort by sitting on their porches singing songs... unless part of the clean-up effort is going door to door to steam clean carpets and wash windows as well as bulldoze debris.

Let them stay. If it's determined they want to stay to loot their neighbors homes that left then shoot on sight no questions asked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I don't think Martial Law has been declared.  I could be wrong.  Got a link?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They should be removed.

New Orleans is now toxic.

A reporter said this same thing to an intelligent person and literate woman that was staying.  She said "then, why are you here"?  It was kinda like hitting the reporter with a brick.  What you see on TV and reality are mutually exclusive.  Some parts of the area are NOT under water and the people that planned ahead can hold out for months, if the .gov stays out of their business!!!

I am all for clearing out the government housing!!!!  Burn it down, no shots fired.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
New Orleans is now toxic.

A reporter said this same thing to an intelligent person and literate woman that was staying.  She said "then, why are you here"?  It was kinda like hitting the reporter with a brick.  What you see on TV and reality are mutually exclusive.  Some parts of the area are NOT under water and the people that planned ahead can hold out for months, if the .gov stays out of their business!!!

I am all for clearing out the government housing!!!!  Burn it down, no shots fired.

See what happens when a state has no plan and depends on the government to run things? This whole situation will certainly be a tribute to the new milestone in American stupidity for years to come.

I guess those that have enough sense to plan for a bug-in are going to have to rethink things for future SHTF. If they pull this off and actually forcefully evac everyone, then it'll probably be considered a success and they'll start implementing it in any kind of situation that results ina city being in absolute chaos and ruin... for example the next equivalent to the L.A. riots.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably end up with Watts all over again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think Martial Law has been declared.  I could be wrong.  Got a link?

Neither the mayor nor the govenor can declair Martial Law.  It's not in their statutes.

Them saying they declair martial law has absolutely no legal ramifications.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Isn't deadly force justified to prevent a kidnapping?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Isn't deadly force justified to prevent a kidnapping?  

It is happening, citizens rights are gone, completely vaporized. They are disarming law abiding citizens who legally own firearms and evicting them from their homes defenseless.

The worst possible outcome has come true.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry guys, I've gota go read my Soviet history books to see how this ends.

Confiscation, martial police state, forced relocation...

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Any reports of the "refugees" not coming out after using the "free" showers?
Any reports of the ovens being fired up?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'll Leave when I'm dead....!"

www.cnn.com/video/us/2005/09/09/simon.katrina.new.orleans.forced.evacuations.cnn/content.exclude.html

Good for him.  There is no need to have these guys get harrassed to leave.  They want to stay, they assume the risk.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll Leave when I'm dead....!"

www.cnn.com/video/us/2005/09/09/simon.katrina.new.orleans.forced.evacuations.cnn/content.exclude.html

Good for him.  There is no need to have these guys get harrassed to leave.  They want to stay, they assume the risk.

Latest news from CNN was that they who serve and protect came back and arrested him (Austin O'Dwyer).
This is much worse that the media is letting on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I initially held the position the these people were fools for staying and that they should be removed.  I still think that they are fools, but by God, they have the fundamental right as Americans to behave foolishly as long as they are not hurting anyone else.  This has gotten completely out of hand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I predict multiple shoot-outs.  Those folks who stayed seemed pretty determined to stay, and were very well armed, with barracades, etc.  It will get ugly.

FUCK!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top