BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
In the interest of fairness:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/343971p-293691c.html

Douglas Brinkley, the presidential historian who teaches at Tulane University, was at Penn's side. "There was never a leak," he tells us. "The boat was overloaded with people. It got some water in it, as boats usually do.

"I witnessed him rescuing up to 40 people," says Brinkley, who was assigned by Rolling Stone editor Will Dana to write about New Orleans' recovery. "He was up to his waist in toxic muck .... I'm not going to comment on Sean's trips to Iraq or Iran, but in this case, he was an American hero."

=================================================
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/05/114155.php

Comment 39 posted by Matt Taibbi on September 7, 2005 01:38 AM:

I was on the boat with Sean Penn this weekend. That's me in the background of the above photo.

The article you wrote is completely mistaken. He did not bring a personal photographer. He came with me and his friend, a New Orleans writer named Douglas Brinkley, and the reason he came was because a friend of his had asked him to help him find a family member still stuck in her house. He did not consent to any photographs taken. The boat did spring a leak, but only at the end of the trip, after one of the people we pulled out of the water kicked the plug out by accident. The articles you probably based your reports on came from an Australian writer who was angry that Sean had declined an interview.

I don't understand why people like you insist on believing that kind of reporting. Probably because you want to believe it.

Sincerely,
M. Taibbi
Reporter
Rollling Stone Magazine
=========================================

So by these two accounts, Sean Penn did not bring along a personal photographer, but did have TWO reporters who watched Penn pull 40 people from the water into that boat.  Penn was up to his waist in toxic muck.  And therefore water got into the boat.

Funny that none of them look hot, dirty or wet.

Penn I don't care about.  Brinkley, however, is taken seriously by serious people.  I already knew what he is; this merely confirms it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So by these two accounts, Sean Penn did not bring along a personal photographer, but did have TWO reporters who watched Penn pull 40 people from the water into that boat.  Penn was up to his waist in toxic muck.  And therefore water got into the boat. Funny that none of them look hot, dirty or wet. Penn I don't care about.  Brinkley, however, is taken seriously by serious people.  I already knew what he is; this merely confirms it.

I'm not believing it until I actually see pictures/footage of Sean Penn actually pulling people to safety. And as far as Douglas Brinkley, haha! Maybe he's going to write about pulling a slug from Sean Penn's behind.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It does appear to be Douglas Brinkley, author of the John Kerry Swift boat biography, in the boat with Penn - the middle of the three here.

You have to wonder what that's about.  Research, maybe.

or

"Author Douglas Brinkley and Sean Penn are seen here re-enacting John Kerry's first Purple Heart engagement.  Penn was heard to scream,..._____"

img21.imageshack.us/img21/1543/pennandbrinkleyno9051ri.jpg

It looks like he's wearing the body armor carrier without the ballistic panels!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So why are we ripping him when he's down there trying to help?

He showed up with a bullet proof vest (IIa) and a camera crew.  He wasn't there to "help."
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It does appear to be Douglas Brinkley, author of the John Kerry Swift boat biography, in the boat with Penn - the middle of the three here.

You have to wonder what that's about.  Research, maybe.

or

"Author Douglas Brinkley and Sean Penn are seen here re-enacting John Kerry's first Purple Heart engagement.  Penn was heard to scream,..._____"

img21.imageshack.us/img21/1543/pennandbrinkleyno9051ri.jpg</a>

It looks like he's wearing the body armor carrier without the ballistic panels!!

+1 i thought the same thing whe i saw the second pic
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The fact that he had so many morons in that boat with him shows me how fucking worthless he is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Because he brought HIS OWN FUCKING FILM CREW!!!!

He was there for IMAGE, not RELIEF.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
He was there for the loot!

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because he brought HIS OWN FUCKING FILM CREW!!!!

He was there for IMAGE, not RELIEF.

Agreed

For those that don't think that he set this all up.  How is it possible that he gets a little bass boat in the middle of a flooded city that is in chaos and just happens to have someone filming his "rescue efforts"?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Salvaging Sean Penn's Boat
Fri Sep 09, 7:50 PM ET

Sean Penn is a big target. But to dozens stranded in flooded New Orleans, he was said to be an even bigger help.

"I witnessed him rescuing up to 40 people," presidential historian and author Douglas Brinkley told the New York Daily News. "He was up to his waist in toxic muck...I'm not going to comment on Sean's trips to Iraq or Iran, but in this case, he was an American hero."

On CNN's Larry King Live, Penn, 45, said he was just another person watching Hurricane Katrina coverage on TV, except owing to the fruits of his Oscar-winning fame, "I could afford to get on an airplane and get down there."

"It became easy to get out, for me to get a boat, and get out on the water with some other people, and try to get people out of the water," Penn said.

Penn's CNN appearance was his first since Australia's Herald Sun ridiculed the actor's rescue work, claiming it "foundered badly" due to a leaky boat "loaded with members of [the star's] entourage, including a personal photographer."

Brinkley, a professor at New Orleans' own Tulane University who accompanied Penn on his voyage through the under-water city, was among the first to denounce the report. "There was never a leak," he said in the Daily News. On Larry King Live, Penn concurred: "The boat never sank."

According to Brinkley, the boat did take on water--because it was "overloaded" with storm survivors. According to Penn, his "entourage" consisted of "a couple of friends." (The actor's camp denied the existence of the "personal photographer.")

Penn said he spent about nine hours in the water. In that time, he told Larry King, he saw only three military-helmed boats.

"Most of the National Guard presence was in the air," Penn said. "They were doing a great job, those that were there. But there weren't enough there."

Celebrities, like Penn, who have been there--the Gulf Coast cities destroyed by Katrina--have come under the requisite fire. Conservative news site NewsMax.com accused "Hollywood's elite" of using Hurricane Katrina as an excuse to bash President Bush or "seek publicity for themselves."

Penn, who took heat in recent years for his tours of Iraq and Iran, said "it doesn't really matter" if people think he took to the flood waters for publicity. (His upcoming film, a remake of All the King's Men, was largely shot in New Orleans.)

"We got a lot of people out of the water," Penn said on CNN. "The rest is for people to talk about."

Other stars who have given people something to talk about by diving in with hands-on relief work include: Julia Roberts, hugging evacuees at a shelter in Alabama; Chris Rock, helping staff a food bank in Houston; John Travolta and wife Kelly Preston, flying in supplies to Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Matthew McConaughey, lending a hand in Waveland, Mississippi; Lisa Marie Presley, trucking in food and toiletries to Mississippi; Faith Hill, doing her own Mississippi run with three rented semis; Jamie Foxx, visiting Katrina survivors at the Houston Astrodome; and Macy Gray, volunteering at the Astrodome and offering to "adopt" 10 families made homeless by the disaster.

With the exceptions of Gray and Penn, all were pitching in for Oprah Winfrey's so-called Team Angel effort. Wrote columnist Maureen Ryan in the Chicago Tribune: "Can someone tell President Bush to call Oprah?"

Even more celebrities, Oprah-affiliated or no, were expected to participate in a trio of hurricane-relief telethons being mounted this weekend by the big six broadcast networks, BET and MTV.

Penn, meanwhile, has challenged the Herald Sun to get involved, too.

"If they'd like to stand up to the plate, and help some of the people," Penn said on CNN, "I would be right with them on it."

Its damage control time for Penn..

What an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
He was there for the loot!

homepage.mac.com/artalan73/.Pictures/Junk/pennlooter.jpg

Give my mofuckin beer back cracker.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]

[Platoon]"You break yo ass for the white man."[/Platoon]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Found this pic,

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
trying to find a larger pic of this one
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
homepage.mac.com/artalan73/.Pictures/Junk/pennlooter.jpg

[Platoon]"You break yo ass for the white man."[/Platoon]

OK you got the heines now what;s the deal on them crack hoes jimbo!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Found this in an African online news wire..
link

NEWS
Sean's rescue attempt falls flat

Mon, 05 Sep 2005
Efforts by Hollywood actor Sean Penn to aid New Orleans victims stranded by Hurricane Katrina foundered badly yesterday, when the boat he was piloting to launch a rescue attempt sprang a leak.

Penn had planned to rescue children waylaid by Katrina's flood waters, but apparently forgot to plug a hole in the bottom of the vessel, which began taking water within seconds of its launch.

The actor, known for his political activism, was seen wearing what appeared to be a white flak jacket and frantically bailing water out of the sinking vessel with a red plastic cup.

When the boat's motor failed to start, those aboard were forced to use paddles to propel themselves down the flooded New Orleans street.

Asked what he had hoped to achieve in the waterlogged city, the actor replied: "Whatever I can do to help."

With the boat loaded with members of Penn's entourage, including a personal photographer, one bystander taunted the actor: "How are you going to get any people in that thing?"

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#17]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"At one point, there were a load of girls on the roof of the hotel saying 'Can you help us?' and the policemen said 'Show us what you've got' and made signs for them to lift their T-shirts. When the girls refused, they said 'Fine' and motored off down the road in their boat."

It's new orleans, the police were just asking for " new orleans ID ".

Actually, I'm told the titty flashers at Mardi Gras are secretaries from Iowa and school teachers from Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.nrk.no/img/516565.jpeg

Hey, I think I see John Kerry in a gunboat pulling rear guard?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#19]
For the record, Taibbi (sp) is a writer for the liberal fish-wrap rolling stone. He hired Brinkley (paid him). So what spin do you think he's going to put on Penn's antics?

Exactly.

as for the water coming from being overloaded with evacuees? Where are they?

Didn't see one - but we do see him bailing furiously to prevent going under.

The guy is a fucking traitor, who did make an effort to help people in NO- the first one being himself and his own tarnished (forever in my book) image
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top