Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2001 11:52:06 PM EDT
I've got one and love it, but most people seem not to like it too much in favor of the Reminton 870 & Mossberg 590. Please tell me why. I love how the Defender looks with the full-length tube and how it shoots, basically squeeze and BANG-KICK-OW! What makes the 870 and 590 better for you? I'm also the proud owner of own of the last p220 to come out of W. Germany, a 20" Bushmaster, and a 16" ASA upper/PWA lower - and hoping to add a Kimber soon. Any enlightenment would be appreciated....Lordtrader, if you read this thread, come back to sunny CA, bro. The womenz are askin' for ya.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Buddha, I am sitting here with my own 1300 right next to me. I own an 870 but I prefer the 1300 Defender w/ full synthetic stock to anything else. The action is slick as butter and it feeds anything without a hiccup- including aguila minishells. It is light and easy to carry, easy to clean, and points very well when shouldered quickly. If I had a choice of 1 shotgun to keep, it would be the 1300.

The people that don't like it, haven't tried it, or are too familiar with something else to switch. Yeah, I know the trigger guard is plastic- but just try and break it, and you can find metal ones if it worries you too much.

radioman
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Love mine. Best 200 bucks I ever spent.  After shooting it two of my friends went out and got one.  Sure does give the shoulder a workout though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, guys. Mine has the wood stock and it's just beautiful. I love the action. I just wonder whether it's because it's not advertised as mil-spec this and SEAL that that makes people go for the 870 and 590. 870 & 590 people, let's hear some opinions, please.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I would :) Ilove the 1300 I have and use if for plates, and IDPA.  Much faster than my 870 for me anyway. I have the wood stock prison guard version that had the 24" cyl bore barrel.  I had it cut back to 18.25" and threaded for Rem choke tubes (since I already had them).  I would take it over any pump gun I have used.  I think your price sounds like a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a 1300 X-tra that I bought used from a shop in 1985. I've put just over 10,000 rounds through it (no kidding) and other than the little spring retainer pin on the inside of the receiver (which I broke while trying to reassemble after a detailed cleaning) I've had zero problems and only one misfire (bad primer). Like Paul Simon would put it -
"Oh Mamma don't take my 1300 away!"
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
i got a 1300 i take it to pin matches some times i beat the semi guys
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the winchester 1300 as well, all in black with synthetic stock. It's great, it's what a pump shotgun should be. I prefer it over my remington 870. Don't get me wrong, the 870 is the standard to which all pump shotguns are judged, the winchester meets and exceeds that standard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Buddha, the 1300 is an excellent choice. I worked in a large gunshop for years, and here is the reality I saw: The return for repairs (we had an in-house smith) rate was highest for the Mossbergs. The 870s saw their fair share of repairs also. The 1300s came back almost never. when they did, it was often from a person who disassembled more than they should have!

My 1300 is flawless. I would not part with it. the "speed pump" moniker is correct, the slide is much faster and smoother than either Mossberg or Rem. And I have  owned all 3.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's another Vote for the 1300! I have had mine going on 10 yrs now and have had no problems. Used it in a Tatical Shotgun match and did very well. [shotgun]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard someone mention IDPA use of the 1300.  Are some clubs having three gun matches such as the one in Shotgun News a few weeks ago?  How are they going?
I have as 1300 with choke tubes I traded fore when I was in high school.  Love it! Have hunted all types of game with it successfully.  I am getting into the "tactical" mindset and am worried about putting so much buckshot / slugs through the choke tubes.  Has anyone experienced problems with this type of thing?  I called our local gunshop the other day and was told that they had a 18.5" cyl bore barrel that he would part with for $100.  Is this reasonable? Should I just change barrels and "soup" this up as a defensive gun or would it be easier to just go get a defensive gun and leave my 1300 alone?
[thinking]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to have one in a patrol car. Rode many miles with it. A question; The new FN shotgun sure resembles the 1300 a lot. Is it the same gun? The product description sounds like it too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
well u can get the barrel realy easy to change out. but then u might want to add a extended tueb. if u want a deticated "tactical" gun id just buy anbother one there pretty cheap. plus u can alwasy use another gun [:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#13]
The Defender was the very first gun I ever bought, back in the good ol' days when you plopped down the money and walked out with your long gun the very same day. I think that I paid less than $140.00 with tax, on sale and almost 18 years ago.

It's a great work horse of a shotgun and the action is glass smooth. I don't know how many rounds I put through it but it's a lot 1000+!?! Never had a jam or miss feed. I started to get sick of the pump action recoil although, it was fun when I was a teenager. Thats when I got my Rem 11/87. The Defender is a great all around KISS weapon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice to hear from all the 1300 owners. Thanks. Going to exercise mine this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Is $289 a good price for one of these, black with the pistol grip?  I've been reading the tac shotgun threads the past week and it seems like this is the model I want to go with.  This particular one is on an auction, so I'd be paying shipping and FFL fees as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine is a earlier model of the Defender & does not say 1300 anywhere on it. Originaly equipped w/ a pistol grip I tried a foldover stock back in the mid-eighties. While functional it added a lot of weight. A while back I dropped the pistol grip & over folder for a tactical style grip. This eliminated the the crunch factor on my wrist while shooting 00 buck & slugs. About a year ago I found the Aguila mini slugs. None of my friends Mossbergs or Remingtons would feed them while my Defender would.  I now have 12 slugs loaded in the tube. Guess I would be illegal in kali. While it's been used & abused over the years I still will rely upon it in any situation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Yeah , surprise surprise , another thumbs up for the 1300 Defender .
  The action on mine is faster than I am .
It is accurate also .
" The pump that thinks it's an automatic "

I think that's what my manual says .
If I saw one for $ 168 I would snatch it up .
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, gotta love the inertia assist after each round. One thing I do wish is that the safety was located on top like the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I had one.

Hate, hate, hate.

The only thing I liked about it was the size and the ergonomics (except for the safety and the slide release button, both of which sucked). It was also slightly lighter than an 870 I handled in the gun store at the time I chose the 1300 over it.

That forearm kick-back thing is what I hated the most.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, chalk another one up here, with a pistol grip speedfeed stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top