Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
He was lucky. His cancer killed him pretty quickly, and he was able to do what he loved right up to the end.

Can't say cancer is lucky.....but I know where you are coming from.

I wonder who Bush will nominate to be Chief Justice. Hopefully Scalia.

+1
Scalia would be my choice.
GWB might want to put a younger man in that position.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
A WW2 Vet and called The Lone Ranger,because of his lone stands towards Conservity!!!

RIP   old guard!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rest in Peace Chief Justice Rehnquist.  You served your nation well.  

+1

And I cant believe you guys think this is bad for us. As a country, yes. As for the right wing, we are fine. We have Congress and the Oval office.  

Let the dims shake in their boots, we are on the march. Unless GW drops the ball.

I agree exactly, but very worried about his 'dropping the ball' history, e.g. immigration, size of gov't, support of AWB, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't expecting this so soon.  

RIP.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He was one of the good guys on the court.

Hope he is in a better place.

CRC

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The battle isn't over who is named Chief Justice.  It's all about who fills the open seat.  That's the wildcard in the game.

Look for a woman, probably from the south.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
how long till DUers blame Bush?

RIP Wm Rehnquist

from du

Bet he died days ago and they are just announcing it now to try
and take the heat off bush. One man has died, well guess what, thousands have died and more are still dying.

good time to get Katrina off the headlines.

How soon do we get the autopsy results to check for "carcinogens"...
Makes one wonder it his death was "hastened"... Hope they do a full checkup in detail on this and that Fitzgerald gets to see the results!

Well...the Democrats better get their shit together
This is war.

THERE IS ONLY ONE SOLUTION SHORT OF CIVIL WAR.
Edited on Sat Sep-03-05 09:23 PM by rzemanfl

Retake Congress in 2006, impeach Bush and Cheney and use a resignation and appointment strategy to get either Gore or Kerry to be Speaker of the House. One of them can then appoint the other as Vice-President. Then pack the court like Roosevelt tried to. Otherwise, it's fascism or civil war or fascism and civil war.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Crap.  This is bad timing.  

RIP old judge.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bummer..

I wonder who will replace him?

Hopefully someone that RESPECTS the law and doesnt try to rewrite it or find it's "intentions" If we had another Scalia I wouldnt lose sleep.

Hey Fox... were you REALLY asking or just being a prick?

If you were really asking, dude, you need to go and brush up on your history... turn off the computer and read a book.

I was serious, I had no idea. I don't really keep up with legal stuff. But if all of y'all are being such assholes about it he must have been a good guy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
RIP  Sir.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Damnit, that stupid bitch susan estridge is already on fox bashing him for being 'ideologically driven' and always siding with the state or the fed.gov.

Can't people have decency and let his body get cold before they slander him with lies?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
AP/NYTimes already politicizing (italics added):

The death President Bush his second court opening within pour months and sets up what's expected to be an even more bruising Senate confirmation battle than that of John Roberts.

Rehnquist, 80 and ill with cancer, presided over President Clinton's impeachment trial in 1999, helped settle the 2000 presidential election in Bush's favor, and fashioned decisions over the years that diluted the powers of the federal government while strengthening those of the states.

Helped settle what in who's favor?  How about 'was part of the SC that JUDGED (not decided) the CORRECT outcome of the 200 election.'......  unreal.

and 'even more bruising' 'expected to be'???  unreal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok President Bush, time to nominate Karl Rove to the SCOTUS. Yes, mu ha ha ha ha ha!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am floored by this, obviously a great american (no matter where you are politically) has been lost.  But the political implicationsare HUGE (and not good for us, I think.)

Yup.  Sadly, that was my almost-immediate 2nd thought.  The Roberts confirm just went from overdrive to 4-lo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
estridge is asking for a minority or a woman, instead of the 'hardcore choice' she knows bush will make!.........  unbelievable, WHY DO THESE MOTHERFUCKERS THINK THEY WON THE ELECTION??? WHAT PLANET ARE THEY LIVING ON??????  THE HOUSE< THE SENATE< THE WHITE HOUSE< NOW THE COURTS.  IT's called teh WILL OF THE G-DDAMNED PEOPLE.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Retake Congress in 2006, impeach Bush and Cheney and use a resignation and appointment strategy to get either Gore or Kerry to be Speaker of the House. One of them can then appoint the other as Vice-President. Then pack the court like Roosevelt tried to. Otherwise, it's fascism or civil war or fascism and civil war.

Some DUer wants Gore or Kerry to be speaker of the House.

Neither one is a member of the House of Representatives. My God, those people are fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
fox is absolutely KILLING this story.  nobody is in studio to report it, no analysis, not even news, just estrich.  unbelievable how un-professional they have handled this.  and you do not wanna be watching CNN as they list his 'failures' such as continued logalization of gay marraige and abortion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Miguel Estrada.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#19]
RIP.
The timing couldn't be any worse.
Scalia for chief, I hope.
I think Thomas will start a shit storm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Hey there cutie
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
who?

You never cease to amaze this board with how utterly  fucking stupid you are. Go kill yourself so the world's IQ can get a collective boost.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there going to be time for 2 confirmation hearing before the court goes back into session.  A recess appoint to the SCOTUS would chap the libs wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could you at least honor the Supreme Court Justice enough to spell his name right in the title?

sorry I was having a heart attack when i saw cnn saying it, I was really numb for a bit.  Had to beat the dupers though!

And yet you still haven't fixed the man's name. May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A WW2 Vet and called The Lone Ranger,because of his lone stands towards Conservity!!!

RIP   old guard!!!!!

Bob

+1.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
fox is absolutely KILLING this story.  nobody is in studio to report it, no analysis, not even news, just estrich.  unbelievable how un-professional they have handled this.  and you do not wanna be watching CNN as they list his 'failures' such as continued logalization of gay marraige and abortion.

Yup.  The lady that is reporting is stumbling over her words.  It reminds me of local network news
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I knew Renquist was going to stay untill the end, but WOW! I didn't think it would be so soon.

RIP Sir

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wanna piss the liberals off to the point of brain anyerism?

Chief Justice Clarence Thomas

Oh, that would just kick so much ass.  The first black chief justice.............and the most conservative.
That would be an interesting counterpoint to all this "Bush hates blacks" bullshit from the left after NO.

To the idea of CJOSC Thomas
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Judge Napolitano on Fox now. Tune in for some DECENT analysis.

Too late. They brought Alan Colmes in, fer crissakes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Emilio Garza.

Oh, for those of you not previously keeping track at home:

Wikipedia: Potential Bush Noms

Left-wing take on the same stuff (pre-election)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Bump to the front page to help get rid of the dupers.

Here's an idea mods,  why not tack this one for a day or 2.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#32]
RIP

If you all want to see a collective brain aneurysm on DU (a daily event it seems), check out this thread, but make sure to keep the link COLD -

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=1751025&mesg_id=1751037
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#34]
The sad thing is that it would be a tremendous Bush victory just to have an equally conservative judge confirmed.

What are the chances of two more Souters being nominated just to get the heat off himself?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
from du

Those stupid pinkos! What the hell are they gonna fight a civil war with? 100% organic granola bars? We are the ones with the guns retards, your fairy ass is too scared to pick one up let alone fight with one. Go back to your govt. funded apartment, smoke a joint and play grabass with your metrosexual roommate you hippie.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
from du

Those stupid pinkos! What the hell are they gonna fight a civil war with? 100% organic granola bars? We are the ones with the guns retards, your fairy ass is too scared to pick one up let alone fight with one. Go back to your govt. funded apartment, smoke a joint and play grabass with your metrosexual roommate you hippie.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#37]
RIP sir.

You served your country admirably.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Washington DC:

Reporters interviewed Senator Ted Kennedy at his Washington crib (sorry, house), Saturday about the coming Supreme Court nominee.

Senator Kennedy was found in his garage donning his slightly booze-stained non-shining armor and hoisting his considerably water-stained banner.

Kennedy stated that "Bush's nominee is an extremest Right-Wing neo-Nazi, who will roll back the clock to a dark day when blacks were second class help, Oops I mean citizens, and women will again resort to the back seat of cars, Oops I mean back alleys.
I find his nominee totally unacceptable, whoever the Hell he is".
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#39]
DU really are a bit much.  It's really sad that the left has taken over what used to be such a proud party.  Heck, even liberal used to be a respectable term.  Today, especially looking at DU, I don't see how any sane person can consider 'siding' with them.

(and I fixed the damned title.  Jeez louise, chill out a little.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Mre from DU

We better be praying for John Paul Stevens' heart (n/t)

Game over, man.
If Bush gets his way, this whole nation is going to look like New Orleans by the end of his term.

Be afraid. And Democrats, for once in your lives, FIGHT!

with a divided electorate, let each party pick a justice ...
there are many ways to compromise ... with two open seats, Dems could filibuster all of bush's nominees ...

or they could reach an agreement where they agree to approve Roberts and the Dems get to recommend the replacement for Rehnquist ...

there's nothing unconstitutional about it ... Dems should push the "this is only fair" argument ...

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What are the chances of two more Souters being nominated just to get the heat off himself?

When has W ever done anything to "get the heat off himself"?  The man LOOKS for heat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bummer..

I wonder who will replace him?

Hopefully someone that RESPECTS the law and doesnt try to rewrite it or find it's "intentions" If we had another Scalia I wouldnt lose sleep.

Hey Fox... were you REALLY asking or just being a prick?

If you were really asking, dude, you need to go and brush up on your history... turn off the computer and read a book.

I was serious, I had no idea. I don't really keep up with legal stuff. But if all of y'all are being such assholes about it he must have been a good guy.

You are a prime example of the sad state of our educational system.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You have to realize that all their "heavy hitters" are either off for the weekend or have been down south and totally burned out by all the hours put in this week.  Cut them some slack.  It will have more coverage starting 7AM Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are a prime example of the sad state of our educational system.

No shit, I slept through civics, and I could have named the Justices.

Quite an interesting week.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#45]
RIP, Chief Justice William Rehnquist.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
who?

Why would you respond this way?

You either know damn well who he is or you should.  I recommend you immediately stop posting on an adult forum.

RIP, Chief Justice.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#47]

RIP your Honor!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Mre from DU

We better be praying for John Paul Stevens' heart (n/t)

Game over, man.
If Bush gets his way, this whole nation is going to look like New Orleans by the end of his term.

Be afraid. And Democrats, for once in your lives, FIGHT!

with a divided electorate, let each party pick a justice ...
there are many ways to compromise ... with two open seats, Dems could filibuster all of bush's nominees ...

or they could reach an agreement where they agree to approve Roberts and the Dems get to recommend the replacement for Rehnquist ...

there's nothing unconstitutional about it ... Dems should push the "this is only fair" argument ...

The mental image I'm getting is from the end of Blazing Saddles where the dancing nancies in tux and tails get into the slappy "fight"...............

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Oh man, that's was awesome!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top