Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys have officially scared me away from the USMC.  I think the nation is safer for it.

20 pull-ups, 18 min 3 mile, 100 crunches in 2 min = 300 PFT

You can pluralize 'pull-up' ??????  Are you ill?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You guys have officially scared me away from the USMC.  I think the nation is safer for it.

20 pull-ups, 18 min 3 mile, 100 crunches in 2 min = 300 PFT

You can pluralize 'pull-up' ??????  Are you ill?

Its not that hard to get 20.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Paris Island Marine here.  

Clearly there are a few of Devildogs on this site -Semper Fi- and they all gave great advice. Do what they say, I'll add my thoughts on boot camp preparation as well.

You still have plenty of time to start some serious training if you haven't already. Use it wisely, don't slack off now and party your last days away, you may be going to war my brother, so please train like it.
My contention has always been that a strong body goes hand in hand with a strong mind. When the body gets fatigued the mind slows down as well. Endurance training will pay off more than you can imagine, train every day and practice the PFT test at the end of the week, twice a week if you like.

Learn the Marine Corps calisthenics routines and practice them until you drop, along with running, long distance running, sprints, light wieght training, biking, rollerblading..basically anything you like to do. Lean and mean is the order of the day.

I would like to be the first to call you a Marine upon graduation, but that honor is reserved for your Senior Drill Instructor!

Good luck brother.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
here is the MOST important thing you need to know at Parris Island:

"Zero" means freeze.

No, THE most important thing is when one gets picked up by their DI's is to announce to them in a very loud voice, "What's up, homes?"      

Add 500 "balls" points for asking "Say, where'd you get that stupid hat?".
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

No, THE most important thing is when one gets picked up by their DI's is to announce to them in a very loud voice, "What's up, homes?"      

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Best advice right here.  If you don't have a good level of general physical preparedness for running, evrything else will suffer or at worst you will get sidelined with stress fractures or other injuries.  All else will come however.

I would add weight training, not for bulk though.  Weight training, low weight with high reps, helps build up and toughen the bones, this will help avoid stress fractures.  When I talk to one of my former Lts at PI, he was saying over the years they were seeing more stress fractures because most recruits coming in weren't use to PT and their bones needed toughing.  

Very good point.  The weight training will build bone mass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Paris Island Marine here.  

Clearly there are a few of Devildogs on this site -Semper Fi- and they all gave great advice. Do what they say, I'll add my thoughts on boot camp preparation as well.

You still have plenty of time to start some serious training if you haven't already. Use it wisely, don't slack off now and party your last days away, you may be going to war my brother, so please train like it.
My contention has always been that a strong body goes hand in hand with a strong mind. When the body gets fatigued the mind slows down as well. Endurance training will pay off more than you can imagine, train every day and practice the PFT test at the end of the week, twice a week if you like.

Learn the Marine Corps calisthenics routines and practice them until you drop, along with running, long distance running, sprints, light wieght training, biking, rollerblading..basically anything you like to do. Lean and mean is the order of the day.

I would like to be the first to call you a Marine upon graduation, but that honor is reserved for your Senior Drill Instructor!

Good luck brother.

ANother Parris Island Marine here...I'm amazed about how many Devil Dogs we have on this site.  We should make a Marine room.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

can you sendpics if you do this?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

"What bet did YOU lose to have to wear THAT hat, homes?"    
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

"What bet did YOU lose to have to wear THAT hat, homes?"    

For video of this and the next minute, I'd pay $100!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't go.

Within 10 years you will be on US soil disarming US citizens. It's not worth it.

Standing armies are dangerous to liberty.

If it wasn't for us Marines and the other "standing armies" we would all be speaking Japanese or German...  Go figure...

Half this country used to speak German when English was decided upon...in 50 years most of this country will be speaking Spanish...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
3 miles in 18 mins? So, the Marines are mostly from Kenya now?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

3 miles in 18 minutes is a perfect 100 out of 100
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#14]
good luck!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My best was 3 miles in 19 minutes even....and I'm a lousy runner!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
So it isn't a required minimum to run 3 miles in 18 minutes, just a good idea?

I have been toying with the idea of joining the Corps. I know that the initial PT test is 1.5 miles in 13 minutes. I went out and tried this a few days ago...took me 18 minutes . I ran about half a mile total and had to walk the other mile. Of course, the mitigating factors were 1) I did this after I had woken up from a night of less than 4 hours of sleep, 2) I had the Einstein-level genious idea to eat a breakfast right before hand, and 3) I haven't done any serious running in years (since Junior High school). All the other initial requirements would be a breeze, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, now that makes sense lol...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have been toying with the idea of joining the Corps. I know that the initial PT test is 1.5 miles in 13 minutes. I went out and tried this a few days ago...took me 18 minutes . I ran about half a mile total and had to walk the other mile. Of course, the mitigating factors were 1) I did this after I had woken up from a night of less than 4 hours of sleep, 2) I had the Einstein-level genious idea to eat a breakfast right before hand, and 3) I haven't done any serious running in years (since Junior High school). All the other initial requirements would be a breeze, though.

Just take it easy, it won't take you too long to build up to that. Make sure you have some good running shoes too...I really like New Balance...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I honestly don't know what is needed now for initial PT. THe best I did was 3 miles in 19 minutes even as an 18 Y.O. 0311. and I do the 1.5 miles now in 10 minutes....and I'm a F)*%# something old fart.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]
BTW, I don't know if I'm allowed to make reccomendations (since I am still - perhaps permanently - at the sub-maggot level), but I strongly advise you to buy  this DVD set. It was on the Military channel (3 hours long w/commercials) not long ago, and I loved it. I've seen a lot of Marines reccomend this documentary. Even for people reading this who aren't joining, this is still an awesome documentary. I have also found this book highly reccommended in my similar advice searches.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
BTW, I don't know if I'm allowed to make reccomendations (since I am still-perhaps permanently-at the sub-maggot level), but I strongly advise you to buy  this DVD set. It was on the Military channel (3 hours long w/commercials) not long ago, and I loved it. I've seen a lot of Marines reccomend this documentary. Even for people reading this who aren't joining, this is still an awesome documentary. I have also found this book highly reccommended in my similar advice searches.

ALRIGHT MAGGOT!!!!!!

YEW ARE ON TARGET!

Good videos for getting a feel for the deal.

OORAH!

(R. LEE EMREY voice off)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just take it easy, it won't take you too long to build up to that. Make sure you have some good running shoes too...I really like New Balance...

Yep, guts on race day isn't what wins, its guts (read discipline) while training that get you first place.

Go to a running store that can evaluate your gait and foot type to make sure you get the right shows before you start any running program.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yea, you sounded like me back in January when I decided to join the Marine Corps.

I was doing 1 pullup, ran 3/4 of a mile before getting winded.

Five months later, I was at 15 pullups and a 24 min 3 mi run. It's definitely doable. I don't know what sort of run time will keep you from getting skylined at boot, but you most likely won't be the only one showing up it in that sort of shape.

Like the other guys said, 18 isn't the minimum, it's how fast you have to run to max the exam. You should be good with a low-20's run time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
If you don't mind an Army chap shoving his nose in this thread...

Quote the 1st Sergeant at Reception in Knox to us:

"Remember, the fastest way out of here is to graduate. If you try to quit, or get thrown out, you will be caught in a paperwork shuffle and be stuck here for months. And you will have been a failure.

Follow these three simple rules and you will succeed.

One: Do what you're told.
Two: Do what you're told.
Three: Damnit, do what you're told.

And if you do decide it's too much for you, tell yourself "I'll quit tomorrow""

A wise chap, that 1SG.

The nice thing about Basic is you don't need to think, really. Just learn. Unlike OCS where you do need to get out in front and lead/think, you can survive Basic by being Private Jones in the third rank.

I can't do pullups to save my life.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you don't mind an Army chap shoving his nose in this thread...

Quote the 1st Sergeant at Reception in Knox to us:

"Remember, the fastest way out of here is to graduate. If you try to quit, or get thrown out, you will be caught in a paperwork shuffle and be stuck here for months. And you will have been a failure.

Follow these three simple rules and you will succeed.

One: Do what you're told.
Two: Do what you're told.
Three: Damnit, do what you're told.

And if you do decide it's too much for you, tell yourself "I'll quit tomorrow""

A wise chap, that 1SG.

The nice thing about Basic is you don't need to think, really. Just learn. Unlike OCS where you do need to get out in front and lead/think, you can survive Basic by being Private Jones in the third rank.

I can't do pullups to save my life.

NTM

If it wasn't for the pullups there would've been a 1% chane I could get in shape in undera year for some Basic Training.  But I seriously don't think I could ever do a pull up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Dressing by numbers is fun! there will ALWAYS be someone that has a knot.. needless to say tho by the end of boot you can be in formation on the way to chow in less than 5 from wake up. truley an amazing thing.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

for example the DI will say "YOU GOT 10 SECONDS TO GET THOSE BOOTS ON...9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1...ZEEEROOOOO"

now, no one can put on a pair of boots while standing up in 10 seconds. you arent supposed to, thats not the point. but sure as shit some dumbass will think he's invisable and he will finish putting on the boot, or move, or twich or do something he thinks wont get noticed and then guess what.

"OH GOOD, YOU WANT TO KEEP MOVING...TAKE THOSE BOOTS OFF NOW"

"PUT THOSE BOOTS ON NOW 10....9..8..5..3..2..1"

and the same dumbass kid, or maybe a different one will try to finish the knot he's tying

"GOOD TO GO, TAKE MY BOOTS OFF NOW"

no shit, one day it took my platoon 30minutes to put their boots on. if everyone freezes like they are supposed to then they will say "GOOD, FINSIH PUTTING ON THOSE BOOTS NOW" and you go on with the day. this is whats known as "playing games"  but you'd be suprised how long it takes some idiot recruits to catch on.

+ 100 on that accept theyont count 10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.Zeroooo Its more like 10.9.6.4.1.ZERO and the faster you move the faster they count. Remember this NOTHING you do willbe right for the first month very little will be right the second month and some things willbe right the third month. And theres no feeling in the world like hearing your Senior drill instructor say "PLATOON  ****,  DIISSMISED" The next best feeling is when you see a family member do it.
And NOTHING can prepare you for it. Running, pushups, crunches and pullups will help alot. They used to tell us You may not be the smartest platoon on parris island but your gonna be the strongest. Best time of my life man hope you enjoy it

MCRD Parris Island 2nd Bn. Fox Co. Paltoon 2053 March 28 2000- June 23 2000
I just realized I am wearing my gold and red 2nd batallion pt shirt.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I want to thank you all for the encouragement, and knowledge that you have given me. I'll take it all in!

last saturday the recruites had a sports day/BBQ, and we played softball and football *all* day long. Keep in mind this is 1 day after swearing in and I weigh 135# soaking wet. I got slaughtered.
My knee is all cut up and bruised, and now I cant run anymore, so I'm losing about a half week of training because of it. So thats gonna set me back a little bit. But I'll catch up.

SSGT Dozer nicknamed me "Stickboy"

I am really looking forward to this!

Thanks guys!
Matt
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Matt, good luck!

Like everyone said, start running and working out...your knee hurts? Do situps, push-ups and pull-ups...no knees needed for those.

BTW, what part of Oregon you from?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Swimming is good too, especially for cross training while you're injured or just needing some time off your feet.  Just a couple of weeks in the pool will do wonders for your aerobic base.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Train for bootcamp and avoid doing anything else that can cause injuries, like rough contact sports.

Keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

Be a grey man. Not being at the top of the recruit heirarchy keeps you from being stuck trying to unfuck all the idiots in your platoon. Not being at the bottom keeps you alive. If you graduate with a Drill Instructor that doesn't know your name you have done well.

Help recruits that need it and ask them for help if you need it.

Never stop trying your hardest. Never quit, not even for a minute.

Do NOT show up at the San Diego USO with a USMC t-shirt on.

Don't count on graduating until the night before. They can, and will, drop you back all the way to forming day 1 if you screw up bad enough.

Finally, don't kid yourself. Bootcamp is the easiest part of life in the military. All you have to do is stay awake. The stuff you learn there is the foundation for all of the skills that will keep you alive one day in combat. Some of it will seem ridiculous, right up until some guy in Iraq shoots an RPG at you. It is ALL important.    
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks to NavyDoc1 and mmx1 .

Again, I don't know if sub-maggots like myself are allowed to give advice, but one big warning I read from a Marine is to NOT ARRIVE AT BOOT CAMP WITH YOUR HEAD ALREADY SHAVEN. Apparently (according to what I've read by the honored Marines who have been there and done that), the barbers will just go ahead and cut bloody gouges into your scalp if you have no hair.

And good luck to you, I applaud you for your service and dedication.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Do NOT show up at the San Diego USO with a USMC t-shirt on.

As a corollary to that...

I figured that I'd be going to Basic at a higher rank than most (E-4), taller than most (6'5), with an Irish accent, foreign jump wings and going as a 09S (Officer candidate). The thinking was that if I was going to stand out anyway, might as well do it right and show up to reception wearing a kilt.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Go stand in the corner of your closet and scream at the top of lungs things like,AYE AYE SIR!!! SIR YES SIR!!! SIR THE PRIVATE REQUESTS PERMMITION TO MAKE A EMERGENCY HEAD CALL SIR!!!SIR THE PRIVATE HAS BEEN INSTRUCTED BUT HE DOES NOT KNOW SIR!!!GUNG HO!!! GUNG HO!!! GUNG HO!!!THEN Then about face sharply run through the closet door without breaking stride jump through the closed window run wide open through the front yard to the street do a roll/flip over the hood of a parked car[preferably the neighbors] and then come smartly to attention in the middle of the street failing to yield to oncomming traffic with the thousand yard stare for about four hours.That should just about do it .Anyways good luck recruit!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

for example the DI will say "YOU GOT 10 SECONDS TO GET THOSE BOOTS ON...9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1...ZEEEROOOOO"

And sound off at the top of your lungs, " FREEZE RECRUITS! FREEZE!!!!!"

now, no one can put on a pair of boots while standing up in 10 seconds. you arent supposed to, thats not the point. but sure as shit some dumbass will think he's invisable and he will finish putting on the boot, or move, or twich or do something he thinks wont get noticed and then guess what.

"OH GOOD, YOU WANT TO KEEP MOVING...TAKE THOSE BOOTS OFF NOW"

"PUT THOSE BOOTS ON NOW 10....9..8..5..3..2..1"

and the same dumbass kid, or maybe a different one will try to finish the knot he's tying

"GOOD TO GO, TAKE MY BOOTS OFF NOW"

no shit, one day it took my platoon 30minutes to put their boots on. if everyone freezes like they are supposed to then they will say "GOOD, FINSIH PUTTING ON THOSE BOOTS NOW" and you go on with the day. this is whats known as "playing games"  but you'd be suprised how long it takes some idiot recruits to catch on.

Added something...  Ahhh, the good ole days.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Most of it is mental, sure you need to be physically prepared, but get tough mentally too.  Nothing in your life is like what you are getting into.  You will need to be determined to succeed.  You will learn to reach down inside yourself and pull out what it takes to succeed.  You will do things you didn't think you were capable of.  

Give it all you've got and come back a Marine.  

I never regretted it................... after boot camp.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#37]
You would do well to start running and working on pullups and crunches NOW! You'll be better prepared if you do. Make sure you sound off and stay motivated. The Drill Instructors love that shit! Of course, they will still wear your ass out on the Quarterdeck for any one of a million reasons, but they will definitely jump in your shit if they see you "not putting out"...and they can tell. Listen to what the Drill instructors tell you with childlike faith, and you should be fine. Try to get the most out of your time at the range. The more seriously you take "snapping in", the better your rifle score should be. Oh, and if your platoon finds itself in the squad bay with a little down time....let the "fuck fuck games" begin! Good luck!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top