BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here in MS the governor has requested that all gas stations stop allowing people to fill up gas cans or anything else other than their actual vehicle, and so far pretty much all the stations are complying.  Couldn't find any stations allowing people to fill up gas cans today, so by default I'm a "no."

BFD - I'll just go home, siphon the gas into cans, return to another station and refill.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This may put me onthe shit list around here but..............
The Boss pays for my gas  BOOOYYYAHHHHH!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to be laughing my ass off when gas drops next week.  All of you guys who bought it at all time high prices have just thrown money away.

Yes, it is going to DROP in price next week.  Tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
no gas hoarding here. if i can't get to work that's ok with me. ;-)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bump.

Come on, more votes.  It's good to see so many of you trying to be prepared.

trying to be prepared? You all are causing a majority of the problems...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I filled up Six 5 gallon cans about 3 weeks ago for the ATV's I think it was only $2.10 a gallon at the time
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here in MS the governor has requested that all gas stations stop allowing people to fill up gas cans or anything else other than their actual vehicle, and so far pretty much all the stations are complying.  Couldn't find any stations allowing people to fill up gas cans today, so by default I'm a "no."

This is like the waitinger period for a buying a gun in Calif. we have to wait 15 days before taking possession of a gun after undergoing a background check. Because of the 15 day wait, a person must anticipate and buy his gun well in advance of when it will be needed.  Gasoline the same way. The gas companies raising the price of gasoline by hour, me as an ordinary person looking out for my own welfare need to fill the gasoline tanks in antipation of price increases. If I'm not going to buy gasoline, the price will not stop going up, and when I need it, I will have to pay an inflated price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am going to be laughing my ass off when gas drops next week.  All of you guys who bought it at all time high prices have just thrown money away.

and this great insight comes from  Just heard quiet a few economic analysts on MSNBC and Fox today say that it will be 2-3 months before the market stabilizes.

ETA: but I will make a mental note to check all the gas stations on the way to work on Tues.  If they are below the $2.87 per gallon I paid two days ago then I will be impressed

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#9]
4 gallons for my mower and trimmer.

3 gallons of deisel for some brush burning.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Why where are you gonna run too??
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I have 72 gallons on hand.  I own a landscape co so i need the gas to make money.  I rotate the gas out, so i never have gas more then 3 weeks old.  All the gas is not in cans.  I have 12 gallons in my mower.  11 in my ski doo.  3 in an old john deere and another 3 in my dads quad.  Then 40-45 in cans.  Why do i have all this gas?  I have no fuggin clue.  I only use 13 gallons a week in my mower.  

The best part is i paided 2.259 for most of the gas.

Matt
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Have always kept  at least 20 gallons on hand ever since Y2K.   Plus 2 pleasure cars that  have full tanks.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I have 20 + gallons for my generator. Here in Florida we sometimes get BAD weather.
Gerry
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nope.  People running out to buy up all the gas just to stash in their garage are a big part of the problem (at least around here).  It's one thing to keep some on hand for an emergency; I do.  But if you heard the prices were rising and you ran out to buy and fill up all the gas cans you could find, shame on you - you ARE part of the problem.  

Around here we had people blocking all lanes of traffic trying to get into the gas stations.  WTF?  Calm the hell down.  Buy only what you need right now.  There are some supply shortages.  Buying more than you need isn't helping the situation.

Cut out all unnecessary driving.  Work from home if you can.  We were going to take a trip this weekend, but decided to stay home instead.  Last night I parked my gas-sucker of an SUV and bought a new Nissan Altima.  I went from 18 MPH on the highway to 30.  What are you doing to help the situation?  

You nailed it on all accounts...  To help the situation everyone should be using carpools, their most efficient vehicle, walking when reasonable, making a good list of necessities and only going to the store the minimum amount.  It is only reasonable if folks hoard gas, the demand increases, therefore prices increase.  But, talk about timing - this hits right before the Labor Day weekend when the demand is high anyhow.

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Filled them and the cars when gas around here was at $2.45. Did it because I didn't know if the gas scare SHTF around here. At the least, I can go another 3 weeks without having to pay $3.30+ for gas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you say mass hysteria?

Demand goes up, prices go up.  Prices go up, people start hording.  People start hording, demand goes up.  Demand goes up, prices go up.  Like a dog chasing it's own tail.

Not to mention the fact that gas potency (i.e. efficiency) goes down dramatically with time stored.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You miss the point entirely.  It's not about price, it's about availability.  In several places, gas has run out.  I.e. they don't have any at any price.  This is a temporary problem, but it is a problem.  By stockpiling a few tanks of gas, you can ride that out.  If gas goes up to $4 for a week, I'll pay it.  But if it runs out, I have a reserve that will last me almost a month.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I filled up Tuesday night with B20 at $2.49/gal.  I'd like to fill up my two 5gal cans (also have a 15gal drum but I cna't even move it when full), but they're in a moving truck somewhere between Baltimore and my new home(DFW)... hopefully!  This tank will hopefully last me a couple weeks, maybe more if I can limit my driving.  I made it from Maryland to here with only one fuel stop, so I guess a full tank and three 5gal cans will get me about anywhere I need to go.  Hopefully the movers will show up soon.

I just moved in on Monday so I have no tv, no phone, no internet (I'm at the library now), so I'm out of the loop.  All I know is what I hear at work.  I guess if anything happened, by the time I found out, it would be too late.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I have about 200 gallons on hand ready to use. That is in Just in a Storage tank. I then have another 50 Gallon Servicetank i have in the back of the Pickup For diesel. Then about 15 gas cans and 2 atv,s and a Dual Sport bike. i am All Good here. Thank god for having farm gas that can be delivered TAX Free For off Road use.      
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top