Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude, I ONLY let my tanks get to 1/2. That's not "topping off", that's "filling up".

I'm not going to change my policies let it get to 1/4 tank or E for any reason.

Right? Wrong? I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#3]
That won't work for me, I drive 55 miles to work 5 days a week, one way!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I agree. Gas stations here are starting to run out due to people topping off their tanks. It's up to $3.18 also. Not looking good friends.

$3.50 here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Too late.

Dallas [downtown, oak cliff, north central] is out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That won't work for me, I drive 55 miles to work 5 days a week, one way!!!!

+1 .....I think most of us here are like minded when it comes to how much fuel we "keep" in our vehicles.  The problems are coming from those that run on E all the time and usually put only $10 in at any one time, now these people are filling up and "topping off."
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've got a 5 Gallon Jerry Can for the yard equipment, I filled it up early last week when it was only $2.57 per Gal. I've now got that can sitting on a pedestal, surrounded by a velvet rope, in a specially built room with a single overhead light shinging down upon it.

Phfffffffffffft!!!! Where's your passive, infrared, weight-sensitive, motion detection capable alarm system? Amateur!

He's keeping quiet about them.  You don't let people know they are there.  That just leads to Tom Cruise rappeling down from the ceiling to steal the can.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Those long commutes are going to get painful.
It might get cheaper just to get an apartment near work.

I could ride a bike to work with no problem... If this keeps up for very long, I may just get a moped.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Seriously... everyone is not going to stop topping off their tanks. It's happening, that's it.

If everyone is topping off, I sure as heck am too!  Got me $100 worth of gas last night in 2 cars & 4 tanks.

I had to drive 10 miles outside the city last night to find 1 station open with gas... it is a mild SHTF situation here in Memphis, and if anyone's been following my other thread I'm gearing up for a possible run to Gulfport to get my g/f's grandparents outta there.  Means I'm gonna need LOTS of gas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Stop me, I have an hour long drive to the range today, then back again, I am topping up, then filling up, of course I live in Anerica Junior, but still
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Heh, I don't even get good mileage, but I regularly go 3 weeks between fill-ups, and thats with a 15 gallon tank.  Thats already a hell of a lot less than one gallon/day

If I cut back on the recreational trips, I can easily go a month between fill-ups.

I'm betting that cutting out recreational trips alltogether and combine all my errand-running into one planned trip around town, I can make it almost two months between fill-ups.

There are advantages to living in a small town, having a grocery store four blocks away, and (big shock to me) a BIG advantage to working a crappy job at wal-mart.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have several hundred gallons that says "Fuck that shit"

Im gonna go fucking top off every last fucking machine that burns gas.

fuckin' a
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the same thing as everyone going to a bank that has a minor problem and withdrawing all of their money.  They will kill the bank, and most will end up losing their money, even though everything would have been fine, the bank would have survived and their money would still exist, if they didn't panic and withdrawal.

The pipelines and delivery trucks are all set up to provide us what we usually use.  No more, no less.  Buying more than normal over stresses the current logistical system, and will cause shortages, even if your stations and trucks are provided fuel by refineries and pipelines that are still running at 100% capacity.  Areas that are unaffected by the refinery and pipeline problems in the South are causing their own price hikes and shortages because of changing their buying patterns.

This stupididty will cause outrageous prices in order balance supply and demand.  Of course then demand will take a steep decline once the prices rise too much, and comsumers already have an abundance of fuel in their vehicles and storage.  So, we will end up with prices dropping below pre-Katrina values to compensate again.  Eventually the prices will raise again to pre-Katrina levels, and continue as they were originally, and there will be no shortages in areas not directly affected by the storm.

But, this scenario only works in a free market.  Government price caps will screw the equation, and we will be stuck with limited supply because stations and oil companies won't be willing to take a possible loss on fuel sales, so we will never reach the "gas is too expensive and I already have enough gas from panic buying" portion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I agree. Gas stations here are starting to run out due to people topping off their tanks. It's up to $3.18 also. Not looking good friends.

$3.50 here.

Went out this morning and it's now $3.48. I am hearing it will rise to $4.00 by next week if not sooner in this area. I don't care though. There are people in trouble and in need far more than I right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, if that is it, we are heading toward rationing.  Hope you guys can live on a gallon per day because that is what we are facing.

I can live on a gallon per day.  50 mile round trip to work, car averages 52 or so MPG.

Is the point of this trying to convince people not to top off?  That isn't going to work.  NOLA showed us that we need to FEND FOR OURSELVES!

At least we have a Honda 185 DualSport bike...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#17]
A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

The Caribou and Grizzly will have to cope for a couple years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

A.N.W.R

The Caribou and Grizzly will have to cope for a couple years.

THAT WOULD BE A WORSE DISASTER THAN HURRICANE KATRINA!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So, if everyone waits until next week before putting in 7/8ths of a tank, things will be much better?

Oh, wait, I get it - This sort of like warning everyone not to jump up and down at the same time because it might alter the earth's orbit, right?

You got that right!

What difference does it make if I fill up from empty once or twice a week or I fill up from 1/2 tank 4 times a week?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]

I have a really screwed up work shift. I go in at 11 am and work till 7:00 pm.

Now I know there is not that many people that work those hours. Why the fuck are the highways jammed packed at that time of the day?  What are these people doing driving around all damn day wasting gas if there not working?  Probably going to the mall or something stupid like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I filled up yesterday.

So did I.
To the top.

However I have a 25 mile one way commute to and from work each work day.
That's 150 miles per week.

If I'm lucky I have to fill my car only evey other week.

I'll probably have to fill up again next week.

You only work 3 days a week?  You lucky bastard!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for reminding me, I'm down to 3/4 on one car and 7/8 on the other.  Stand in line, suckers!

G
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The President has said this but the doubters do not understand.  Why?  If everyone were to top off their tanks tomorrow, we would run out of gasoline in a matter of MINUTES.  

Here is why:

The average fuel tank is somewhat less than  1/2 full.  While your may be full because you feared the shortages or just needed to fill, someone else is nearly empty.  But the average is somewhat less than half full due to the ever-increasing prices.

With 203 million cars on the road, each having an average 18 gallon fuel tank means every car could take about 10 gallons if the media caused a panic.  That would mean 2030 million gallons of gas would be sold that day.  Guess what?  THERE ISN'T THAT MUCH GAS IN THE SYSTEM!  Daily consumption is 383 million gallons per day.  That is what the refineries have been producing BEFORE the hurricane.  The actual dialy production is somewhat less considering the outages.

So you see, supply can be drawn down RAPIDLY.  Matter of fact, each car on the road would only get less than 2 gallons per day.  

Think about that if you use more than 2 gallons per day.  And if you want price controls, expect a daily ration of about a gallon per day.

What about what is already in the ground at the gas stations? I am guessing hundreds of millions of gallons of gasoline.  Kinda blows that theory to hell doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have several hundred gallons that says "Fuck that shit"

Im gonna go fucking top off every last fucking machine that burns gas.

fuckin' a

I did that on Monday before the price went up another $.50 per gallon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a 5 Gallon Jerry Can for the yard equipment, I filled it up early last week when it was only $2.57 per Gal. I've now got that can sitting on a pedestal, surrounded by a velvet rope, in a specially built room with a single overhead light shinging down upon it.

Phfffffffffffft!!!! Where's your passive, infrared, weight-sensitive, motion detection capable alarm system? Amateur!

He's keeping quiet about them. You don't let people know they are there. That just leads to Tom Cruise rappeling down from the ceiling to steal the can.

Yeah. Don't know what came over me. Certainly wouldn't want Tom Cruise hanging off the ceiling in my house. Besides all that stuff gets in the way of you appreciating the finer things first thing in the morning like you know... [duvall_voice]  that gas smell. It smells like ....victory![/duvall_voice].
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Dude, I ONLY let my tanks get to 1/2. That's not "topping off", that's "filling up".

I'm not going to change my policies let it get to 1/4 tank or E for any reason.

Right? Wrong? I don't care.

+1

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
If the President wants to institute gasoline rationing, he should do so. I will fill my tank at MY convenience, thank you very much.

The nation consumes a relatively fixed amount of gasoline per day, no matter what. Today, I bought none, but somebody else bought 24 gallons. If there was suddenly a mandate that one could buy only 5 gallons a day, EVERYBODY would buy their quota every day, one way or another. That's going to lead to an overall daily increase in consumption.

Quick trying to fuck with the "demand" side. The "supply" side is already fucked up. Two wrongs don't make a right. Three lefts make a right, and two Wrights make an airplane.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I filled up the day the Hurrican hit just in case.  I figured the least that would happen would be price hikes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top