Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
read somewhere that they overturned ambulances...WHAT THE HELL?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no comparison at all between this and 9/11.

Christ, some people here and in the media act like New Orleans is the ONLY place that was hit by this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]
To continue ETH's fine post, look at the areas where looting is prevalent.  Housing projects.

Dammit, when you are in bear country, you do not feed the bears.  But Uncle Sugar has been "feeding the bears" and now that the "cages" are gone, the bears turn on the humans.

Yes, lock this if you must but anyone who bites the hand that feeds them is an animal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If there's anyone here not doing enough, it's is the folks at the state and local level. I just heard a report from the Pentagon a few minutes ago on CNN stating that there were more resources waiting offshore to be brought in...both men and equipment. But the locals aren't advising them where to go or anything. Until they tell them what it needed, where and make the request, they can't do anything. The Federal Goverment had the togetherness to get it ready and on the way BEFORE the reque4st was even made. Now it's up to the LA governor and the administration to decide what to do with it and ask for it to be brought in.

Many on the news are acting as if Bush, FEMA and Homeland Security isn't doing enough and are incompetent. It seems to me like the folks in the state governemnt down there are the ones who are incompetent. They have far too many people calling shots there, some giving conflicting directions.

Yep!!

The locals are incompetant....

I believe the feds will take over today....

We need armed troops in there now!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What crap!

It has nothing to do with New Orleans, but with the refuse that was left behind when the good and decent folk of New Orleans did precisely what you and I would do in a similar situation - bug out!

The title of this thread should have been:

SOME FOLKS LEFT BEHIND IN NEW ORLEANS HAVE BECOME A NATIONAL DISGRACE.

Seriously, The_Beer_Slayer, do you think if the same sort of natural disaster happened in, say, Birmingham, Alabama, and the citizens were ordered to flee the city, that there would not be looting in the downtown area?

Get a grip!

Think before you post.

Eric The(Thoughtful)Hun

You're wrong HUN. TheBeerSlayer also posited the claim that disaster reponse has been poor and the state of LA has managed this inadequately. Read before you respond.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope that every one of you are using NO as a case study of what will happen with a small to medium SHTF. Prepare accordingly. You are on your own.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Welcome to the jungle.

What's going on does not surprise me one bit.
I was actually expecting it to be worse.

yup.
All of those people that stayed in the city are lucky to be alive, if the storm wouldn't have weakened and deflected east right before it hit, they would all be dead.  Instead of thanking God that they are still alive they are whining, crying, and acting like animals b/c someone wasn't there to instantly provide for all of their wants and needs.
It's sickening.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is no comparison at all between this and 9/11.

Christ, some people here and in the media act like New Orleans is the ONLY place that was hit by this.

9/11 attacks were isolated to very specific targets.  Imagine if NYC was told to evacuate, and then flooded.  What do you think the reaction would be?  Do you think that those living in the Bronx, Harlem, etc. would just hang out peacefully when everything around them has gone to shit?

The reactions of some people caught in the wake of this storm are truely despicable.  However it appears that many followed the evacuation orders, left, and are quite fine now.  Many that stayed behind rescued people and or just stayed to their own.

The true depth of the destruction has not been shown on TV yet.  There must be a lot of damage for it to have taken so long for FEMA, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, etc. to get setup in affected areas.  It wsan't just governments fooling around.

In NO the situaiton is unprecedented.  Never has a US city had to be entirely evacuated and in a way abandoned.  This is where the cluster is really occurring and where the major media attention is.   What is sad is how in this time of destructoin so many have decided to break with society and just run amok.  This is what scares me a lot becuase if my city or your city had some sort of disaster I could see people doing the same thing here.  Disgraceful.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's most entertaining is the fact that everyone knew this would happen with the first really bad hurricane to hit, yet they were still this unprepared.

I don't recall Camille (1969), the last Category 5 that hit the continental United States, just about the same spot Katrina hit, doing this much damage to New Orleans.  You may remember differently.  Hurricane Andrew (1992) did not do this much damage when it hit the Louisiana coast.  It's easy to armchair quarterback this and say everyone expected this, but I lived in Louisiana for a significant portion of my life, I've been through hurricanes that hit Louisiana, and you're just plain wrong.

I think they knew there would be significant damage, but this level of damage was not anticipated.

As far as the Louisiana government and especially New Orleans government, they are only exceeded in incompetence and corruption by possibly Hawaii and Honolulu.  One former Louisiana governor is in prison for racketeering.  Another's dad was convicted of racketeering.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

(NO is the state capitol if I am not mistaken)

State Capital is in Baton Rouge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hope that every one of you are using NO as a case study of what will happen with a small to medium SHTF. Prepare accordingly. You are on your own.

Very good post.

This is what happpened with 5 days warning.  If there was a disaster of this scale but with no warning - say a quake or a NBC attack... then you'd really see the unimaginable.

Imagine the DC Metro area or St Louis or Atlanta (etc) post-nuke or during a contagion.  Or LA or San Fran after "the big one".

We ain't seen nuthin' yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I think a major difference between 9/11 response and the hurricane is that:

1- 9/11 Was contained. The land is vast with the hurricane.
2- 9/11 We were provoked and attacked. It was not induced by God, or 'mother nature'

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]
New Orleans was hardly the model of lawful conduct and order before this happened.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You bring up an interesting point. I've been thinking about this and I dont believe this would happen just anywhere in America.
For example: When Tampa Bay played a California team(Oakland?) for the championship on their way to the Superbowl a few years back I made a prediction. Win or lose, Tampa would come home to a great celebration and welcome and win or lose, they would burn 12 cars in a riot in California.

They burnt 11 cars and Tampa had a party. I was off by one car.

I dont believe this would happen in Florida.

South St Pete would implode as quickly as NOLA.  They love to riot there.

You know what? You're right and I am an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Not so.
There are people on the out skirts that no one is showing in the same situation.
Hospitals also in the same situation.
The press is just hanging around the city but there is more to see on the coast if they went elsewhere.

Just heard a stupid reporter on MSNBC say "he would also steal plasma TV's if he seen no hope" ? What in the hell are you going to do with a plasma TV in a no hope situation?

Quoted:
It appears that the people who failed to evacuate were largely the dregs of humanity. As another poster pointed out, nobody has "gone wild;" it's just that the animals have been unleashed. NO today is what you get when the lowest elements of society are unregulated.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Alabama sucks.

How's that for Southern Pride?

Eric The(Honest)Hun

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the media needs to focus more on the positive being done.  You know there's got to be a zillion "feel good" stories of good Samaritans helping out, doing what's right.  I honestly think if you pay attention to the good, you'll get more good.

I have it hard to believe that after the tsunami last year that there wasn't looting and what not.  But what coverage did we see?

Patty

I agree. CNN is just doing their best that drag out dirty laundry. When the Gov. of Mississippi tried to state that the Fed Gov. was doing a good job, the CNN prick cut him off, talked over him and insisted that the Fed Gov wasn't doing enough.

Fuck CNN.

If it was a Gore or Kerry administration they would be singing the praises of Federal aid, since it is W, everything they do will be insufficient.

They are lower than snake puke.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i understand the disaster. i understand the suffering.
to some degree i understand the looting.

What i don't understand is the shooting at rescue workers and helicopters
The complete failure of Emergency services in a city that knew full well this could happen
The complete failure of the State of La to seem to have any grasp of whats going on
the Complete Failure of Emergency management

I certainly don't see the .gov as the savior but given what happened in NYC on 9/11 and the response they had, it is beyond obvious local and state gov in La is incompetant.

sorry just needed to rant

I will go along with the city of NO officials being incompetent.  I would not agree about the state.

Of course, it doesn't help that the people you are trying to rescue are shooting at you.

I think the disgrace is some of the people of NO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I will say this bluntly. You guys are full of shit.

I think people need to cut FEMA and the local/state government  some slack. The city is wiped out. This means the city governement as well as the state government (NO is the state capitol if I am not mistaken).  The cops, city and state workers are all personally affected, manyhave lost their homes.  This situation is unlike any other we've ever had in the US on this scale.  They couldn't have possibly prepared for every contingency or the massive devistation.

The failure is by people to understand that emergency management is not an exact science. The failure is the expectation that emergency response is immediate and and that you should be rescued first. The failure is instead of doing something constuctive, people want to start playing the blame game.

FEMA didn't cause the hurricane, they are doing their best to respond.

As to the part in blue, you ARE mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#27]
NOLA is a big swamp now. The city is lost, like Biblical lost. Destroyed. Gone. Done. Get those who want to leave out, and forget the rest. There are people who need the help just as badly all over the Gulf Coast. People have to help themselves.  The city is being abandoned, not repaired. Repairs are a long way off. Much of it will never be recovered. There a lot of badly damaged places that are much more savable and should get a higher priority.

The Military & Police are there, trying to help, despite people fighting them. More help is on the way. Many people who are stuck there are refusing to leave. They're doomed. The gov't has more important things to do than go after the terminally stupid. Some of those people want things just the way they are. They stayed behind to take advantage. They're shooting at the rescuers.

The media is doing an Iraq type disaster trick that ignores the hard work and success of the rescue efforts. 12-15 thousand a day are being evacuated.

A study of the damage, done before the hurricane, estimated the cost of recovery on the order of 100 billion dollars. That's 370 bucks per person for the entire population of the US. Can we afford that?
You ready to write that check for your whole family?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't think this situation would happen in every metropolis in America.

There are many examples of civil unrest or better termed rioting, looting and plundering.

Detroit, MI and LA, California come to mind as they act like this after 'winning' championships in sports.

Houston didn't do it.
San Antonio didn't do it.
Tampa Bay didn't do it.
The people of New England didn't do it.

In situations like this money is useless. Some of the people ther have money and they can't get water to drink.

I need to invest in a few more cases of ammo just in case something like this happens around here.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#30]
There are a lot of places that would turn out the same way if a large disaster occurred. It has everything to do with poor people in economically depressed areas thinking that because the cops aren't there, that it must be legal. Moral relativism and psychological compensation at its best. The world is watching- and yes, they have become a national disgrace.

But Detroit, Newark, New York, LA, Atlanta... they're all poor. They'd do the same thing under the same circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What crap!

It has nothing to do with New Orleans, but with the refuse that was left behind when the good and decent folk of New Orleans did precisely what you and I would do in a similar situation - bug out!

The title of this thread should have been:

SOME FOLKS LEFT BEHIND IN NEW ORLEANS HAVE BECOME A NATIONAL DISGRACE.

Seriously, The_Beer_Slayer, do you think if the same sort of natural disaster happened in, say, Birmingham, Alabama, and the citizens were ordered to flee the city, that there would not be looting in the downtown area?

Get a grip!

Think before you post.

Eric The(Thoughtful)Hun

You're wrong HUN. TheBeerSlayer also posited the claim that disaster reponse has been poor and the state of LA has managed this inadequately. Read before you respond.

It's hard to respond when the assholes are shooting at you.

It's hard to help people who are more interested in wading through waist deep water to LOOT when they should be getting the fuck out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I will say this bluntly. You guys are full of shit.

I think people need to cut FEMA and the local/state government  some slack. The city is wiped out. This means the city governement as well as the state government (NO is the state capitol if I am not mistaken).  The cops, city and state workers are all personally affected, manyhave lost their homes.  This situation is unlike any other we've ever had in the US on this scale.  They couldn't have possibly prepared for every contingency or the massive devistation.

The failure is by people to understand that emergency management is not an exact science. The failure is the expectation that emergency response is immediate and and that you should be rescued first. The failure is instead of doing something constuctive, people want to start playing the blame game.

FEMA didn't cause the hurricane, they are doing their best to respond.

As to the part in blue, you ARE mistaken.

That would Baton Rouge, LA home of the Bayou Bengals!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
What's most entertaining is the fact that everyone knew this would happen with the first really bad hurricane to hit, yet they were still this unprepared.

Bingo. It's not like we didn't see this coming. Completely unprepared to deal with the devastation at the local, state, and federal levels. Truly frustrating to watch. After 9/11, Guiliani stepped up and was the man of the hour. I don't see anyone at the local, state or federal level stepping up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alabama sucks.

Eric The(Honest)Hun

+1

Obviously has never been here, or was taken to the wrong part(s)

And after watching NO's worse come out of the soggy woodwork like roaches, devouring and infesting whatever they can come across, I doubt now having that knowledge that I would ever go there.

Birmingham most definitely has it's rough areas, but I'll go on a blind limb and say that if a fire, earthquake or whatever leveled the city - we wouldn't have thugs looting at shooting at anywhere near that scale.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#38]
That's how I feel.

I remember when Andrew completely wiped out Miami. There was looting and everything else. But NOTHING like police stealing, or shooting at rescue workers or any of this insane shit.

I no longer want to help for fear of helping the "wrong people" and that is just sad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There are a lot of places that would turn out the same way if a large disaster occurred. It has everything to do with poor people in economically depressed areas thinking that because the cops aren't there, that it must be legal. Moral relativism and psychological compensation at its best. The world is watching- and yes, they have become a national disgrace.

But Detroit, Newark, New York, LA, Atlanta... they're all poor. They'd do the same thing under the same circumstances.

I believe you will find at least SOME percentage of the population in every city who would do what they are doing in N.O.

It isn't a function of poverty. It is a function of the moral relativism that grows on our society like cancer.

This isn't about race or economics. It is about a moral breakdown that is swallowing the nation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alabama sucks.

Eric The(Honest)Hun

Why he wishes to try and insult another Southern State is beyond me.

Uh..maybe it has something to do with the "good citizens" of NO that are fucking shooting at those trying to rescue and provide aid to them?  Or could it be that they are looting and destroying everything that wasn't destroyed by the hurricane?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Put fences up where the levees are.  Cage 'em in a la Escape From New York.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I am amazed everytime I turn on the TV and some welfare-lifer is whining that the state of LA and the government isn't doing anything to help THEM. WTF!?!?! How 'bout getting off your own lazy welfare check-cashin' arse and doing something for yourself for a change! Or sit and rot for all I care. There ARE people down there who need help (the old, sick, and those with special needs), but these idiots aren't them. Also, I'd help rescue a stray animal LONG before I'd ever lift a hand to help someone who had two working legs and arms, who was demanding my help anyways. If an event such as this won't get them to be responsible for themselves, then NOTHING ever will. They are a lost cause..
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo. It's not like we didn't see this coming. Completely unprepared to deal with the devastation at the local, state, and federal levels. Truly frustrating to watch. After 9/11, Guiliani stepped up and was the man of the hour. I don't see anyone at the local, state or federal level stepping up.

What planet are you on?  There is not much wrong with the federal or even state response.

Particularly since we are arguing about helping people who had at least 72 hours warning to leave.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You bring up an interesting point. I've been thinking about this and I dont believe this would happen just anywhere in America.
For example: When Tampa Bay played a California team(Oakland?) for the championship on their way to the Superbowl a few years back I made a prediction. Win or lose, Tampa would come home to a great celebration and welcome and win or lose, they would burn 12 cars in a riot in California.

Didn't happen after Hurricane Andrew which was holding the record as worst natural disaster.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#45]
This could happen in just about any major city with a similar event. Look at the blackout in NY back in the 70s...definately not a safe place to be back then...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#46]
The same thing would happen in downtown Atl.  We are a deeply divided nation.  Remember the blue and the red?  We can thank the leftmedia and our elected tyrants for this "divide and conquer" threshold we are at.  The worse is yet to come.  Witness the exploitation by the left starting with RFK Jr.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't happen after Hurricane Andrew which was holding the record as worst natural disaster.

What didn't happen after Andrew?
Maybe not rioting but there sure as hell was looting.  The even arrested National Guardsmen for it.

There were many people having to arm themselves and patrol their neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Uh..maybe it has something to do with the "good citizens" of NO that are fucking shooting at those trying to rescue and provide aid to them?  Or could it be that they are looting and destroying everything that wasn't destroyed by the hurricane?  

The people causing the problems in Nawlins right now are the very same people who make certain areas of Nawlins a hell hole absent flood waters.

With the disaster and the evacuation of all the good guys who make the place decent, all that is left is the criminal idiots.

They don't reflect the entire city.

They reflect their own stupidity and the .gov stupidity that Nawlins is known for.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This could happen in just about any major city with a similar event. Look at the blackout in NY back in the 70s...definately not a safe place to be back then...

I don't recall anything of the level like this either back then or in the even larger north east blackout just a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I would submit it to consideration that culturally we are a lot worse off right now then we were in 92.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top