Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I am usually in favor of good sense over honor.  But...honor has it's role.  

Talk about the issues with your family, add up the pluses and minuses, and then do the right thing.

Lots of right choices, even more wrong ones.

There will be second thoughts and cold feet.  That's normal. Look at the issues and make your best decision.  Trust your well considered decision. Don't look back.

I think you may well   be on the road in a few hours.  If so, take extra gas.  Did anyone mention water, and toilet paper?   Smile at the troopers, talk with them, you are a "Good Guy." Do work within the laws.  

You can make your decision with a clear conscience.  

And don't worry about what a bunch of knuckleheads on the internet think!    

God Speed.  

Rick
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
 PS  Don't take anybody who can't handle it into harms way.  Leave the GPs in Memphis, thay have no business in the danger zone.  Go if you need to, have the right resources, and then get out.  Save what you can, and do not mourne too long the rest.

Rick

And God Bless them all, and you.

I have been watching too much live New Orleans TV feed.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#4]
A long gun is missing from that list. AR, FAL, M1A, something like that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Good luck to you, Been there and done that (just not to this scale)...

Get in and Get out!...

You have been given a good packing list, I wish you had a canopy for your truck, do the best you can to pack it tight, and out of sight. A good man on "Shotgun", keep the FRS/GMRS radio's or C.B./scanner going, you will learn lots just by keeping a ear out.

Good luck again, and Keep your eyes and ears open!..

ETA: If you go for the Grandparents, Grab them and drag them if you have to, I worked a flood back here a few years back, I damn near beat the hell out of a little old lady that would not get in the basket,(I was a flight Medic on a Rescue helo.) She was more scared of the ride up to the bird then she was to die. Once she was safe all was good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is something you may want to do before you go. Anyone have portable VCR/TV or camcorder that you could use to tape some of the news so you can play it back for the GPs?

Maybe that would help to convince they need to get out if they can.

Just a thought. Good luck and God speed if you go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are they even going to let you through?

I think there are not even checkpoints set up right now.  Everyone is still so shell shocked, they are reacting to everything, not thinking ahead.

NVGs if you have them.
Rifle or two.
Gas, gas, gas...

and oh yeah, gas.  There aint none down there.

Good luck.

Bigfeet

The only reason I asked is because the MS DOT lists all the roads (major) closed from the AL state line West.

Seriously, get a water filter like a Katadyn, a good stove, NVG's (I'm totally serious, you may not be free to move safely unless it's dark out), and BE PREPARED TO PROTECT EVERYTHING YOU HAVE- ESPECIALLY THE GASOLINE.

Oh, and take bicycles.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#8]
You might also see if you can fill the truck with donations from your area, for people in the affected area.  No sense driving all that way with nothing, besides, having something to give out may prevent the desperate types from taking shit they don't need, but you do.

Good luck, and take someone to ride shotgun.

TXL

Also, might consider a hose of some sort to siphon gas, if you can find some and you need it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a tough call.  Gas is going to be the biggest problem.  One poster made a good point. ONce you get within 100 miles of the area it will be stop and go traffic or at least very slow.  You will eat up a ton of gas. If you are going to go, go for get in and get out.  I still think you need more guns and ammo.  YOu pull in there with all of that gas, there is going to be someone to try to take it from you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#10]

After doing a bunch of Charley relief runs last year - here's the deal:

You don't have enough gas.  Period.  Operate under the assumption that you need enough for the entire round trip plus extra.  On top of the disaster, even unaffected areas (like here) are running out.

Two vehicles at least, both with trailers or at least with caps.  Keep your shit COVERED.  If you're serious about this, use a rental panel truck and get the insurance.

Coolers with dry ice.  As much as you can pack.  When you leave, you can leave it with folks down there.  It's vital for food and meds.

Water and water filters.

Bring spare tires.  You will get a flat and fix-a-flat won't be enough.

Bring chainsaws, ropes, crowbars, axes and a hi-lift jack.

Don't stick around to help them pack or any of their shit.  They either leave with you RFN or you say your goodbyes.  Leave them with as much H2O and food as you can spare. Don't leave them any gas.  It won't help them anyway and you will need it (see above).  A generator w/o a steady fuel supply won't last and will make them a target in the short term.  Don't bother bringing one.  You want to convince them to leave not make it more comfortable for them to stay.

If you do stay there overnight, you really should have NV of some sort. You never really understand "dark" until you've been in the south in the summer with no power.  

The mapping GPS is a great suggestion.  People half a block from home get lost after these things.  There are NO landmarks or signs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#11]

As for the go/don't go question.  I say go.  Leave the G/F at home.  Demand it, unless you have no idea what they look like.  This aint no Peter Pan hunt, this is just about as real as it is going to get.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#12]
bicycle.
inflatable boat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
After doing a bunch of Charley relief runs last year - here's the deal:

You don't have enough gas.  Period.  Operate under the assumption that you need enough for the entire round trip plus extra.  On top of the disaster, even unaffected areas (like here) are running out.

Two vehicles at least, both with trailers or at least with caps.  Keep your shit COVERED.  If you're serious about this, use a rental panel truck and get the insurance.

Coolers with dry ice.  As much as you can pack.  When you leave, you can leave it with folks down there.  It's vital for food and meds.

Water and water filters.

Bring spare tires.  You will get a flat and fix-a-flat won't be enough.

Bring chainsaws, ropes, crowbars, axes and a hi-lift jack.

Don't stick around to help them pack or any of their shit.  They either leave with you RFN or you say your goodbyes.  Leave them with as much H2O and food as you can spare. Don't leave them any gas.  It won't help them anyway and you will need it (see above).  A generator w/o a steady fuel supply won't last and will make them a target in the short term.  Don't bother bringing one.  You want to convince them to leave not make it more comfortable for them to stay.

If you do stay there overnight, you really should have NV of some sort. You never really understand "dark" until you've been in the south in the summer with no power.  

The mapping GPS is a great suggestion.  People half a block from home get lost after these things.  There are NO landmarks or signs.

Best advice yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So... give me your suggestions:

You Sir, need a poll. You will get honest answers. Even the paty waist folks here will tell you to dump your girlfriend. "It" can cloud your judgement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#15]
*************UPDATE #3***************

Well the grandparents will be OK at least until Monday, we're waiting until Sunday to decide what to do, and to see if we can convince them to leave.

My g/f I've been with for 8 years... since she was 15, we're trying to get through college so not engaged yet, but all that aside... her and her family are obvioulsy family now to us.  I've met the grandparents many times, so finding and identifying them isn't a problem without her.

I have frequently visited.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Once again FUEL is a concern, I wouldnt go unless I had 30% more than I needed for a round trip.

The amount of water you are planning to haul has great weight and will cost you in less MPG.

I would bring 1/2 the water you listed and bring a few of the portable hadn pump types.

That way as long as you/they can get to any water your OK.

Camping stove and fuel

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Got a small dirt bike/ motorcycle?  I would bring it along.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top