BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Time to tow the rigs and impound them.  Charge all the owners with misconduct during an emergency, yank their CDLs and jail them.

Yep.

Where in the statute is "misconduct during an emergency" and comes up with laws phrased like that?

Its right after the part about washing your hands before leaving the restroom.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Time to tow the rigs and impound them.  Charge all the owners with misconduct during an emergency, yank their CDLs and jail them.

OR... we could do that to the bastards who are changing the prices faster than you can fill your tank!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That is probably what it will take! When nobody CAN drive, nobody WILL drive....

I know the back roads and have a 4 wheel drive
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hope they pick the PA Turnpike and shut that 300 mile craterfest down. What a disgrace, and we have to PAY for the privilege of driving on that POS. I am 600 billion % behind the truckers and anyone else that can put that dog of a road out to pasture for good.

Amen!   As a born and raised Pittsburgher (Go Steelers!)....I HATE that POS "road", esp the original part.  One thing I don't miss living in OH.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wont do any good, it is not going to hurt the people that sell us the feule. it willonly hurt us by making prices on everything higher. Does anyone remenber the movie on FX? It seems like it is going on right now.

Quoted:
Listening to Pat White 1190 WOWO out of Fort Wayne an hour ago, a woman driving down near Dayton on I75 called in. She said truck drivers are going nuts on the CB  because of gas prices and are going to start parking it the middle of the roadways in 48 hours. In the last 12 hours, gas has went up by $.51 /per.

Time to stock up on food and tp.

Im sorry but  (feule) even I cant let that one slip and I cant spell
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Much as I hate people blocking up the roads, it's about time people start showing their frustration.  I keep seeing on the news these little "interviews" with people at the pumps.  "Sure, the prices are high, but I'm not going to change my driving habits much.  Just suck up and pay it, I guess."  Where do they find these morons?  

The "inflation" model doesn't work because most the oil is from an outside sourse.  The truckers up their prices, so the wholesalers up theirs.  The retailers up their prices, and the consumer starts asking for higher wages.  When prices across the board go up the value of the Dollar goes down.  None of this effects those who sell the crude oil in the first place.  They are free of the cycle they created.  Their oil will just go up in price to match the reduced value of the Dollar, and the truckers will need to up their prices, again.

And don't forget, as winter aproaches heating oil will become a factor in the shortage.  Measures to lower the prices will only get offset by the comming cold.  I'm thinking a lot of people are going to have a hard time for a while.

I'll throw in my .02 on that comment.  Where do the morons come from?  Everywhere!  How many credit card offers do you get a day/week?  We must get 3-5 almost everyday.  Think about the folks who jump on those offers....and the current state of indebtiness in this country.  The folks with this attitude are just financing everything they can with all the "easy" credit.  The worst part is when the bill comes due at somepoint in the next few years and the whole consumer credit market collapses.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh well
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Listening to Pat White 1190 WOWO out of Fort Wayne an hour ago, a woman driving down near Dayton on I75 called in. She said truck drivers are going nuts on the CB  because of gas prices and are going to start parking it the middle of the roadways in 48 hours. In the last 12 hours, gas has went up by $.51 /per.

Well, I can tell you that if they do it between Dayton & Cincinnati, they will likely be in Sheriff Richard K Jones' jurisdiction in Butler County. He just re-instituted chain work gangs and dumped satellite TV out of the county jail.

He's not going to be sympathetic and he's a bonafide badass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am an independent owner/operator. I first toyed with trucks in 1981. Everyone said get a dollar a mile and you'll do ok. Fuel was 69 cents a fallon, insurance was 15 bucks a day and it cost 47 a month for the license and tonnage on my truck. Guess what? Today, fuel is over three dollars a gallon, insurance is 900 a month, license and tonnage costs 2500 a year and shippers are STILL trying to get loads moved for a buck a mile! Bear in mind, every 50 cent increase in fuel represents a 15000 dollar DECREASE in pay per year. That's based on a 100,000 mile year, the industry standard. Yesterday I calculated my fuel cost at $1.55 per mile. So ya wanna drive a truck, huh? I have for the last year, avoided all cheap freight. I don't want to fan the flame that burns me. So, my reward for standing in the door, fighting the good fight, is a thousand dollar "refund" on my taxes. That's because I made so little after expenses, I qualified for the Earned Income Credit. Your welfare dollars at work. In the last three years, I've eaten up all my credit cards and sold off probably 25% of my assets. Sure do hope things come around soon, ya know? On the road, I budget $10 per week for food and only shower when it's free. So, ya wanna be a trucker, huh?

Another point to consider:  Supply Chain Management and the Walmart effect.   We run incredably lean and mean supply chains today.. in just about every industry..dur to our computer technology.  There is very very little slack, excess capacity or waste in the deliver of good from manufacturer/supplier to the final user or consumer of goods today.  Great, drives down costs, profits up, etc etc etc.  But leaves very little room for error or disasters.

Then you have the competitive factor, esp the large distributors (walmart, etc.) who strong arm everyone to reduce costs so they can offer "rock bottom prices", etc.  With all the M & A activity there is less and less competition which places tremendious negoiating (aka..extortion) power in the hands of a few huge organizations.  Who loses or gets the shit squeezed out of them...thats right...everyone in the supply chain...who then tries to push it down to the next guy.  Finally, the little guys (read above...I feel for you man) gets screwed.  So you can enjoy all those cheap, made in china good at walmart/sams/costco, etc etc etc..
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Speaking of Walmart... their drivers are not Teamster.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I can tell you that if they do it between Dayton & Cincinnati, they will likely be in Sheriff Richard K Jones' jurisdiction in Butler County. He just re-instituted chain work gangs and dumped satellite TV out of the county jail.

He's not going to be sympathetic and he's a bonafide badass.

Trust me,he would not have near enough deputies! It would take alot of National Guard to stop a trucker's strike.(a real big chunk of drivers are former military,not easily intimidated,and I can't say much for Ohio's sheriffs depts).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Truckers and Farmers brought the UK to a standstill a few years back when they striked over fuel prices. They closed many roads down and blockaded the fuel depots, people were panic buying fuel and there were huge queues at the petrol/gas stations.

Be very wary and prepared

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When that happens, consider the rigs abandonded and simply remove the payload.  

Isn't that what the looters in New Orleans doing!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
selfish bastards
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow.  You folks really have no idea how this country works, do you?

I pity you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow.  You folks really have no idea how this country works, do you?

I pity you.

Damned Straight! Like I said before,if it get that bad,most O/O's will simply park their trucks at home,and wait for the wolfman to come get. Then,if they still want to drive,they'll get a job at JB Hunt,Schnieder,SWIFT,ect........just many did the last go-around.Hell,I made a ton of money at JB(well,actually,my now ex-fiancee did,damn that girl sure could spend $$$).
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'll venture a guess that you'll be the one we read about that was over powered, handcuffed, and seated in the back of his own cruiser... nekkid!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

+2
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I love how the responses are parroting "Free Market, Free Market" when it's just some other guy whose job related travel expenses (commute, whatever) skyrocket because of fuel prices.

But when it's Truckers, the free market is a bad bad no no.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#23]
They tried this in Los Angeles a few years ago, all the drivers got owned by the LAPD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I love how the responses are parroting "Free Market, Free Market" when it's just some other guy whose job related travel expenses (commute, whatever) skyrocket because of fuel prices.

But when it's Truckers, the free market is a bad bad no no.

Hey, it's free speech man!  They can say all the stuff they want, even when it's wrong
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am an independent owner/operator. I first toyed with trucks in 1981. Everyone said get a dollar a mile and you'll do ok. Fuel was 69 cents a fallon, insurance was 15 bucks a day and it cost 47 a month for the license and tonnage on my truck. Guess what? Today, fuel is over three dollars a gallon, insurance is 900 a month, license and tonnage costs 2500 a year and shippers are STILL trying to get loads moved for a buck a mile! Bear in mind, every 50 cent increase in fuel represents a 15000 dollar DECREASE in pay per year. That's based on a 100,000 mile year, the industry standard. Yesterday I calculated my fuel cost at $1.55 per mile. So ya wanna drive a truck, huh? I have for the last year, avoided all cheap freight. I don't want to fan the flame that burns me. So, my reward for standing in the door, fighting the good fight, is a thousand dollar "refund" on my taxes. That's because I made so little after expenses, I qualified for the Earned Income Credit. Your welfare dollars at work. In the last three years, I've eaten up all my credit cards and sold off probably 25% of my assets. Sure do hope things come around soon, ya know? On the road, I budget $10 per week for food and only shower when it's free. So, ya wanna be a trucker, huh?

Another point to consider:  Supply Chain Management and the Walmart effect.   We run incredably lean and mean supply chains today.. in just about every industry..dur to our computer technology.  There is very very little slack, excess capacity or waste in the deliver of good from manufacturer/supplier to the final user or consumer of goods today.  Great, drives down costs, profits up, etc etc etc.  But leaves very little room for error or disasters.

Then you have the competitive factor, esp the large distributors (walmart, etc.) who strong arm everyone to reduce costs so they can offer "rock bottom prices", etc.  With all the M & A activity there is less and less competition which places tremendious negoiating (aka..extortion) power in the hands of a few huge organizations.  Who loses or gets the shit squeezed out of them...thats right...everyone in the supply chain...who then tries to push it down to the next guy.  Finally, the little guys (read above...I feel for you man) gets screwed.  So you can enjoy all those cheap, made in china good at walmart/sams/costco, etc etc etc..

Damn, I'm impressed. It took a whole 3 pages before someone said it was Bush's Walmart's fault.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I'm impressed. It took a whole 3 pages before someone said it was Bush's Walmart's fault.

Damn, he took three paragraphs to say what I can in three words...
"Just In Time"  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Just In Time"  

... or 3 letters, JIT.

Show off

I figured nobody would know what I was talkin bout anyways
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just remember, you can easy up the JIT by doing a VOI which can help the SCM attain/maintain  a LF% of 99+.  

(look at me go!)  

Make sure you put a cover sheet on your TPS report first
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I hope they do something actually. Most of you guys seem to know nill to none about how the truckers run thsi country with all that they haul. They could just drop their trailers and drive away, once the trailer is laying on the ground good  luck moving it without calling in a heavy tow truck to lift it back onto a truck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I can just imagine 100,000 nationwides blocking the highways with their trucks and going, "Fuggin A, man!"

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember, you can easy up the JIT by doing a VOI which can help the SCM attain/maintain  a LF% of 99+.  

(look at me go!)  

Make sure you put a cover sheet on your TPS report first

Yes, didn't you get the memo?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#36]
If all the truckers decide they want to take the week off then good for them, but blocking roads should be a punishable offense.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#37]
To you jerks who talk about shooting truck drivers:

You pull a gun out on me and I won't  hesitate to steer my 40 ton rig OVER your ass.

I'm not parking...I don't pay for the fuel...the company does.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You pull a gun out on me and I won't  hesitate to steer my 40 ton rig OVER your ass.

As long as you don't block the roads and hold a bunch of other people to your desires then you won't have anything to worry about, then will ya, sporto?

I guess you will be parking along with the rest of us schlubs if the truckers do block the roads, eh?

Thank you, captainobvious.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Do me a favor and steer over their ass in the direction your load is heading. There's no sense losing time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do me a favor and steer over their ass in the direction your load is heading. There's no sense losing time.

Steer through those trucks blocking the way too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I won't go if the roads are blocked

But if I get caught in it and some dipshit like you decides to take it out on me by flashing a gun or something, yes....I would run you over in a heartbeat.

I've drive a dedicated route along the Turner Turpike and it is divided by a concrete barrier.  Tempers do flair often and I have long made up my mind that if anyone ever pulls a gun on me that they are going into the wall.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I won't go if the roads are blocked

But if I get caught in it and some dipshit like you decides to take it out on me by flashing a gun or something, yes....I would run you over in a heartbeat

How does that get entered in your logbook?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I am a 100 mile radius driver who doesn't cross state lines and  therefore exempt from logs...I use a time-card.

I'd love to see the reaction here if truckers just quit working for 4-5 days.  No, not blocking the roads....just stay home and leave the truck parked at the terminal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I am a 100 mile radius driver who doesn't cross state lines and  therefore exempt from logs...I use a time-card.

I'd love to see the reaction here if truckers just quit working for 4-5 days.  No, not blocking the roads....just stay home and leave the truck parked at the terminal.

I'd rent a Penske, and make a few deliveries C.O.B (Cash on the barrel head) .

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Did no one read my post earlier in this thread?

The Truckers and Farmers  DID bring the UK to it's knees.

If all the Truckers over there dissabled their Trucks....Nothing

Absolutely "Nothing" would move.

Fuel or Food/Water

there would not be any firefights with LEO & Truckers/Farmers

The Trucks would all be useless and Nothing would move.

Taffy
The Realist

I realy hope this never happens to you guys but History here has shown it possible.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

By here do mean ARF.com or the USA.  I can tell you what the reaction would be, there would be a lot of bitching then the truckers would get what they want.

Also, you should carry a gun so you don't have to damage you grill.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Off topic,but anyone who lives near a Speedway Gas/Diesel stop,use the Speedway card,after 25k points,you get 25gal of free gas. 10 points for every $ spent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Just In Time"  

... or 3 letters, JIT.

LOL, that was funny.

Its even funnier not many people get it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#49]

captainobvious' rig??

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#50]
My truck costs $500.00 per 10hr day to run, but brings in $3600.00 per 10hr day revenue.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top