Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2001 2:59:39 AM EDT
Just wondering what you all think about the Browning High Power Mk3 pistol with ambo safety, ergo grips, keychain lanyard loop, chamber cut-out, cast receiver, and the rest of it. This is a military version, and are they commercially available, and what do they retail for in US $$?

This is the lastest buy by the Australian Govt for its Defence Force. Currently the L9A1  Browning is in use, with a mix match of Canadian Inglis's and Belg. standard HPs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Feral,

I think your military's MkIII differs slightly from that which us Yanks can buy in that you have a lanyard loop.  

I own a USP series pistol, a BHP mk III, and would love to have a CZ 75, a Kahr, blah blah.

That being said, if I could have only one autoloader, the BHP is my favorite, if only because it could have been the pistol used by Behemoth in the Master and Margarita.  

Controls are great, the internals have been improved (I think), and if you remove the mag safety, the trigger is passable.

It is not a bullet hose like the 1911, but I've got about 6,000 rounds through mine and like the S#$T out of it.  

On the list of things to do:

NP3 coating for mags and pistol
real trigger job by Ted Jacobsen
Better sights.  

I recommend the Hi-Power.  How can you go wrong?  

I bought mine for $400 US back in '94, but they seem to have gone up about $75 since then.  I have heard good things about the Hungarian and Bulgarian clones which are substantially cheaper, but I have no experience with them.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Browning stopped importing them so they are getting more expensive. I have a 80's one and I love it. I plan on getting another. It would be great if FN sold them to Americans again.

BTW, don't you have to have a special liscense or something to own one in Austrailia?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a wide variety of handguns, but my daily carry gun is my Browning HiPower. It's very accurate, super reliable, and is a nice size.
I keep it ready with (18) 124gr Speer Gold Dots.
The 17rd South African mags that CDNN was selling are a bear to load, but they work well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The BHP (Browning/FN) is one of the finest pistols ever made, it rivals even the 1911.

I have shot the tupperware (glock, HK, etc..), and I would never give up my 1911 or BHP's.  

Browning is bringing the BHP's back into circulation, slowly but surely.  Check out the news section at [url]www.fnhipower.com[/url] for updates.  They will be a little hard to find at first, but they are out there.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The choice of SAS everywhere. HPs are nothing but great. After all it's a John Browning gun, possibly his best one ever.

But I thought guns were no more in Australia. How are you getting a handgun?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
He said the govt bought them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all your help. Used to own a T series Inglis Browning (3T5XXX). A beaut, and I miss it terribly.

Here in Australia, you can still own any type of a handgun SA or revolver, (any mag capacity too), and its not too restricting, and even better off than Canada, however SA rifles, shotguns amd pump shotguns are banned.

Gotta go thru a bunch of paperwork, join a club, by an approved stortage container for your home, and after you pass the club probation period, you're in!

As for the High Power, I am sure they are imported here new ( I hope). I see used ones at the gun shows. I am interested in getting a new one to shoot IPSC. It s big thing here, and has been for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Feral,

I don't shoot IPSC style matches, but if you are, you might also look at a CZ75 clone or a 1911 as well.  Much as I adore the Hi-power, I haven't heard of all that many top competitors using them.  I think there was a Brit a while back shooting limited with the .40 S&W.  From what I understand (probably wrong (: )   the 1911 trigger is easier to improve.  

The .40S&W version, is noticeably heavier, has an extra recoil lug and its recoil properties were described once as "whippy".  Haven't shot it either.  Perhaps you can get mag extensions legally in AUS.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought one so my wife would give me back my 1911. I shot and fell in love. It shoots right where you point it. I have to sneak it out to shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm using mine tomorrow for my CCW test, and I have the utmost confidence in it. If there's a screw-up, it'll be my fault, not the HiPower's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just wondering what you all think about the Browning High Power Mk3 pistol with ambo safety, ergo grips, keychain lanyard loop, chamber cut-out, cast receiver, and the rest of it. This is a military version, and are they commercially available, and what do they retail for in US $$?
View Quote

Well not to long ago aimsurplus was selling Israeli military surplus MKIII's as described above for under $300.I wish i had bought more then one now.mmk
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
G/day Feral....where did you find out that the ADF had bought new BHPs...last I saw there were a pile of 60's manf L9s coming out of DNSDC...and the usual refurbs of in service weapons.

When I was SARP the thought of buying new handguns got nothing but ridicule from about.....after all the F88C would take care of that.

All the best

Andy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top