Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 9:57:03 PM EDT
I have not cleaned my M15 in two shooting sessions, I have just been oiling it to see how much it can take. (No failures in a couple of hundred rounds)  I now have this overwhelming urge to clean it.  I seems to be beckoning me to it.  It feel better to get that off my chest.  Must Resist.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
DON'T DO IT DUDE!

When it finally hiccups, post it here...
How many rounds before failure.

Stuff like that is good info to have.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The man's GOT to be a veteran............I get the same way. I cannot stand to leave my weapon dirty.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The man's GOT to be a veteran............I get the same way. I cannot stand to leave my weapon dirty.
View Quote

Sorry I am not a veteran (Although I have been thinking of joining the USMC reserves.)  I am 19 and in college.  My dad has instilled in me the overwhelming urge to treat my firearms like other treat their children.  It is hard to look at a dirty rifle and not clean it right away.  I will just have to clean one of my other guns again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DON'T DO IT DUDE!

When it finally hiccups, post it here...
How many rounds before failure.

Stuff like that is good info to have.
View Quote

I'll do that.  We will see how far it goes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you think during the torture test I should oil the bolt and carrier or no?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
M15A2 by all means at least lubricate the M15A2, I presume this is what you are shooting. By not lubricating you will get premature wear in certain areas. By not cleaning you really can't damage your weapon. By not lubricating properly you can accelerate the wear. I have a M15A2 that I don't always clean after leaving the range. Sometimes I go two trips to the range without cleaning, but I always lubricate. I was even a Grunt, but I learned that you can over clean when it comes to the tools and techniques used to clean ARs. I have seen people taking rifles into hot showers, use shaving cream, breakcleaner, and probably the worst tool I have seen and used while in the Army is a piece of clothes hanger to get into hard to reach places.

The horror
The horror

No Slack!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checking.  I oiled it this morning before I shot it.  The coat hanger is too horrible to imagine, I use an Otis kit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good God no!
I would roll it in some dirt so we can get a real world test. Someone has to sacrifice so that others may gain from your knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep the oil on it!  Lets see what this puppy can do!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good God no!
I would roll it in some dirt so we can get a real world test. Someone has to sacrifice so that others may gain from your knowledge.
View Quote

The thought did cross my mind to put some foreign substance in the upper.  I took about a tenth of a second to forget that idea. I don't have to money to start trying to break things.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I think on the old board was a post by Troy when he did this with his Bushy.  Supposedly had 7K rounds through it before cleaning it.  Now I could also be remembering incorrectly.  
But do it and let us all know how it goes.  My marine friend is appaled at how little I clean my rifle, but he's the toothpicks, bucket of hot soapy water and three hours per rifle type.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot some Brunaul through it today after some about 40 rounds a case did not extract.  I think it was the lacquor on the steel.  I also shot some remington UMC it work fine and without malfunction.  The test is still on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you think your M15 will "hicup" before or after the Blues ever pick up that silver cup ??? [;D]

Ha,,,

I had to finally rub it in:
Just a little.  [smash]

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you think your M15 will "hicup" before or after the Blues ever pick up that silver cup ??? [;D]

Ha,,,

I had to finally rub it in:
Just a little.  [smash]

Jay
Arizona
View Quote

Hopefully after the Redbirds win the series.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#15]
WHAT!
Your weapon is not INSPECTION CLEAN!!!!!!

Hey thats one of the benefits of being a civilian [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top