Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Ahhh yes..just like ISRAEL...a large wall.....ummm tell me more of this various walls blocking out sections of the community.....

I think we'll all be glad when you get your tricycle fixed and can play outside again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking at the photos, the French Quarter (what tourists think of when they say 'New Orleans' seems to still be above water. There might be hope for the city yet.

Is my memory completely wrong, or isn't the French Quarter on a bit of an elevation near the river?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want to live:
Below sea level...
In a flood plain...
In tornado ally...
Where hurricanes go...
Where mud slides happen...
On a major fault line....
Where there is no water...
In the mountains next to the large brush piles we call national forests...

Yup, no natural diasters here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want to live:
Below sea level...
In a flood plain...
In tornado ally...
Where hurricanes go...
Where mud slides happen...
On a major fault line....
Where there is no water...
In the mountains next to the large brush piles we call national forests...

You forgot: Right next to the ocean.

You forgot another: Right next to a volcano.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looking at the photos, the French Quarter (what tourists think of when they say 'New Orleans' seems to still be above water. There might be hope for the city yet.

Is my memory completely wrong, or isn't the French Quarter on a bit of an elevation near the river?

NTM

it is near the river, but at risk from the 17th st canal break. unless the corps pulls something out of their asses today, it will flood.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Will the pumps make any difference one way or the other?  There's no way they can pump water out faster than it can flow in though the levee breaches.  Until the levees are repaired, the pumps might as well not even be there.

Man, I"ve had Led Zepplin on my brain all day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will the pumps make any difference one way or the other?  There's no way they can pump water out faster than it can flow in though the levee breaches.  Until the levees are repaired, the pumps might as well not even be there.

Man, I"ve had Led Zepplin on my brain all day.

Good call!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

it is near the river, but at risk from the 17th st canal break. unless the corps pulls something out of their asses today, it will flood.

Not likely - they said the mayor was frustrated becasue all the Blackhawks lined up to start lifting levee breach repair materials were retasked to rescue operations because of the vast amount of citizens needing rescue - many being cut out of their attics with axes and lifted into helos in a basket.

The way I look at it, Mayor Nagin is out of line - lives should be saved first, the city is second priority.
I think the levees will go unrepaired for several days.

This image pretty much says it all. time to abandon the city and head for higher ground.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top