Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Not until I came to this site.Now everytime I shoot my Glock,I am afraid it's gonna blow up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm in the process of chambering the barrel for my .460 Wby Mag. And I'm looking at the size of the gaping hole in this thing (chamber end). And I'm really starting to think what in the hell am I getting my self into.

So do you own any that you fear or dread firing?

I wonder wtf Roy Weatherby was thinking with all his uber magnums - talk about magnumitis!

It's going to kick the snot out of you and probably loosen some fillings.  Just don't shoot it off bags, and you'll be okay.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot a ruger number one .460 weatherby magnum.

Holy shit.

That thing kicked my ass.  I would never be able to hit anything with that if I tried.  I would be flinching so bad and closing my eyes.

When I fired it, I nearly dropped the damn thing.
500 grn bullet 2600fps
7.5 pound gun (i think).
=
too much recoil for anybody.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
CZ550 .416 Rigby, Desert Eagle 440 Corbon, and my new Barrett M99 isn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a recurring nightmare about a Ruger #1 chambered in .458 Lott.  

I've been trying to decide between the 458 Lott and the 416 Rigby in a #1.

I want one big bore in my collection just for grins and giggles and I've always loved the Ruger #1.   I had one in 300 Win Mag and it's the only rifle I've ever regretted selling.  It's a classy look and a strong action.

I have a No. 1 H-Tropical in .416 Rigby.  Damn nice rifle!  I have to admit I was a bit nervous the first time I shot it, but it is not as bad as you THINK it is going to be, but if you don't do it right you could break your collar bone.  I shot a hog with it last year, and in all honesty, when the cross hairs are on fur it doesn't seem to kick any harder then a .30-06.  Shooting it off the bench at paper will get your attention!!  10 rounds is about all I can take from the bench before I flinch.  There have been two people besides myself pull the trigger more then once at one session (Mojo and Mutt69).  Everyone else gets this certain incredulous look on their face when I offer them a second round.  

BTW, that pig was VERY impressed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a really lightweight Benelii Nova Tactical, with the 18.5" barrel it doesn't hardly weigh anything.

It can also chamber 3.5" shells.

Someday curiousity is going to get the better of me.

Yeah I have the same setup and curiosity DID get the better of me in the form of a 3 1/2 inch 00 Buck Magnum.

Yeah.......Lets just say that I am ordering the stock buffer the NEXT chance I get!

We shoot 3.5" out of the Nova and firing the first round of the morning will jar you pretty good if you aren't awake.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thompson renegade .54 cal with conical bullets behind 100 grains BP!!!

It shot really tight groups if I did my job (tight cheek weld) but after about ten shots my right cheek felt like I had gone two rounds with George Forman!!!

I think that round and that load would take down about anything that ever lived!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, my AK, when it started talking to me, but then i found out that's perfectly normal
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
My uncle had one of the weatherby .460s Years ago. I was still just a youngster, and had not come from a "Gun Family". It looked like a tank's cannon to my young eyes.

Uncle seril was a might "ornery", you might say. He had been a hunter or guide back post WWII and had no trouble finding game if he wanted to.

We had planted a bunch of plants and small trees next to the "Family" cabin, and it had taken allot of $$ and work to do so. Well I was outside, down near the lake when I hear uncle seril cursing at the top of his lungs.......

I turn and see him exit the cabin rifle in hand, just chambering a round....... I look to see WTF??

and follow his line of sight over to where all of the new planing had taken place.....Standing there are a group of deer, happily munching away on the new greenery.........

Take a moment, dear readers, and picture the setting...... A young "Soaking wet behind the ears" kid with 000% knowledge in anything firearm related(except what I'd seen in movies & TV) , an old Gnarly North Canadian with a hell of a temper & a large shoulder fired cannon, A group of deer too stupid or deaf to get the hint that this WAS NOT a very healthy place to be eating someones new greenery!

Uncle seril rounded the cabin's corner rifle coming up to his shoulder....and then the whole world just seemed to go BOOM!

It felt just like someone had taken a large wet down pillow ant whacked me across the face with it!

As I hazily watched the deer exit at a warp factor that would have given "Mr. Scot" a Woodie for a month,  I noticed several rather strange things.....

(A.) Uncle seril was now sitting on the ground.......

(B.) There was a 1 to 1 1/2 foot section of tree missing from a large tree directly behind where the deer had been.

(C.) There was a big assed Mother F*cking bell ringing non stop somewhere very close.

(D.) Uncle seril was saying something, but he didn't seem to be able to overpower that damn bell.(He was cursing even louder!)

After I understood what had happened, I was scared of that gun!

But as I grew older, I always told Myself that someday I wouldn't be afraid to fire a rifle like that of My own.

Uncle seril has long since passed, I tried to find out what ever happened to the rifle, his stuff, anything that might give me more info about him and why he had bought and kept the rifle. I've only ever gotten "Oh!, it's long gone....sold or something years ago!" Where, to whom? No one knows, remembers, or cares. It's a shame that I can only remember him, and the rifle through My now distant memories.

RIP Uncle Seril!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Man its like Pussyfest 2005 in this thread....

You boys need to grow a set...I have a T/C that loves her crazy barrels...

.338, 7mm, .375, .270...

If you want to talk BANG..shoot a 14" barrel pistol firing a Long Action rifle round....thats FEAR!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Great stories to all that contributed…
I have all ways had a bit of a pucker factor taking that first shot from a freshly completed rifle. After 14 years it does not really bug me much any more.

Well I finished the chamber tonight.. Cut the extractor slot, torque the barrel. She head spaced beautifully! It’s now a barreled action, one step closer!

So should I test fire it without the brake?

Now its on to the stock work..

Did you know it could throw a 300 gr bullet at 3000 FPS!!
Hmmm that might make a right nice deer gun! LOL with the brake it should clear the range during hunter sight in season.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Man its like Pussyfest 2005 in this thread....

You boys need to grow a set...I have a T/C that loves her crazy barrels...

.338, 7mm, .375, .270...

If you want to talk BANG..shoot a 14" barrel pistol firing a Long Action rifle round....thats FEAR!

.35 Rem on a 12" That was fun!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I was afraid of my LAR Grizzly 50bmg, the first time I fired it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Hesse built AK-74 with ever changing headspace issues and finding this out was surprising to say the least. That frightful day at the range I started shooting as I normally would and to my amazement this nice big fireball shot out of the receiver after about the 4th or 5th round. After it extinguished itself and I had a chance to look at the rifle, I noticed the bolt wasn't closed all the way and so I decided to manually cycle some ammo through it. What I found out is that most of the rounds would keep the bolt open and I was simply stunned. Now mind you that this was the second time I took this rifle to the range and the first time I shot it, I had experienced no problems and I was using the same ammo which was Barnaul 5.45. And let me tell you I was scared to shoot that thing ever again and in fact I never did. I got rid of it at a gunshow in a trade for a Century built R1A1 and some cash and ordered a SAR 2 for $269.00 from AIM surplus.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had a Hesse built AK-74 with ever changing headspace issues and finding this out was surprising to say the least. That frightful day at the range I started shooting as I normally would and to my amazement this nice big fireball shot out of the receiver after about the 4th or 5th round. After it extinguished itself and I had a chance to look at the rifle, I noticed the bolt wasn't closed all the way and so I decided to manually cycle some ammo through it. What I found out is that most of the rounds would keep the bolt open and I was simply stunned. Now mind you that this was the second time I took this rifle to the range and the first time I shot it, I had experienced no problems and I was using the same ammo which was Barnaul 5.45. And let me tell you I was scared to shoot that thing ever again and in fact I never did. I got rid of it at a gunshow in a trade for a Century built R1A1 and some cash and ordered my a SAR 2 for $269.00 from AIM surplus.

- Hess, Vulcan, Bersa or the like do not count for this scenario. Nobody in their right mind feels 100% with those weapons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

- Hess, Vulcan, Bersa or the like do not count for this scenario. Nobody in their right mind feels 100% with those weapons.

Now you go and tell me, lol. Hesse =
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I was jumpy with my .300 Win Mag, but not afraid of it.  

Have never feared a weapon, just anxious to put a bullet downrange to get an idea of how mean it is...

Okay, so I was deathly afraid of that .45-70 pistol my Uncle had... fuckin' A Im not gonna shoot that sombitch.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I am afriad of all firearms, It is a matter of Respect!!

That is why I am as safe as I am.  Not worth making a mistake!

The day you lose respect for them, is the day you should put them down.

Now do I TRUST my life with my firearms?  Absolutly!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top