Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2001 6:43:06 PM EDT
My father always told me that it did, but I have also heard that it has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Only if the reflective tin foil is facing inwards.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually it's the other way around...

Going bald makes you wear a hat...
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
yes it does, but usually not the whole head. only the area where the elastic band sits on your head. it has something to do with your scalp not breathing which causes your hair follicles to clog up and eventually start to die off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a medical myth.

The only thing that affects hair loss is genetics, steriods, your race, and your diet.  Combing a certain way, washing a certain way, or wearing headpieces do not affect the loss of hair - it all takes place below the skin.

And that's an Eee-vil fact.
[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yes it does, but usually not the whole head. only the area where the elastic band sits on your head. it has something to do with your scalp not breathing which causes your hair follicles to clog up and eventually start to die off.
View Quote

So how long would you have to wear a hat to murder your hair?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
[red][b][size=4]Im not going BALD,...Im getting more HEAD.[/size=4][/b][/red]

Jewbroni is correct, wearing a hat has nothing to do with going bald. People think it does because some hair gets pulled out by the hat,...but it will grow back, unless genetics take over.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Correct, going bald is caused by genetics. I think hair loss is passed down from your mother??? Correct me if i am wrong.(highly probable)
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Correct, going bald is caused by genetics. I think hair loss is passed down from your mother??? Correct me if i am wrong.(highly probable)
View Quote

Me thinks you are right.  Look at your maternal grandfather if you want to know your follic-future.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]NO![/b][>(]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Correct, going bald is caused by genetics. I think hair loss is passed down from your mother???
View Quote

Well then I must not have anything to worry about because my mom still has her hair.  [thinking]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#11]
if that was true id be bald by know
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Me thinks you are right.  Look at your maternal grandfather if you want to know your follic-future.
View Quote

Another fallacy, although this "trick" usually works.  If your maternal grandfather has hair, USUALLY the strong genes on your mothers side will outweigh those of the father's.  The mother's gene tends to be more dominant, however this is not a gaurantee of a full head of hair (or a lack thereof).

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
studies show the following can cause hair loss.

Traction Alopecia

Traction alopecia is usually caused by continuous and excessive pulling on the hair due to various types of hairstyling. Ponytails, buns, braiding and cornrows often result in a continuous pulling on the hair. This traction gradually results in hairloss. If this type of traction and hairloss continues for an excessively long period of time then the hairloss may become permanent. Generally however a change in hairstyle that reduces the traction on the hair and hair follicle is all that is required in the treatment of traction alopecia.

so yes long term wearing of hats if really tight on the head can have the same strain effect on the scalp as the above hair styles.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont know if wearing a hat makes you go bald, but I do know how to make hair grow on the palm of your right hand!!![;)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Post by david_r -
Me thinks you are right. Look at your maternal grandfather if you want to know your follic-future.
View Quote

It would be more accurate to look to your mother's [b]brothers[/b], since your maternal grandfather is not genetically as close as the brothers would be.

God is great, God is fair, To some He gave brains, To others hair
View Quote

Eric The(Brainy)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Who cares your wearing a hat..
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw a news program
where bald men were paying
big bucks to have a cow lick
their head to cleanse their scalp.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It would be more accurate to look to your mother's [b]brothers[/b], since your maternal grandfather is not genetically as close as the brothers would be.
Eric The(Brainy)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

That's [b]WORSE[/b][>(]  [>(]  [>(]  [>(]  [>(]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh,
and speaking off the top of my head,(X^A Y)
[i]most[/i] kinds of baldness
referred to as pattern baldness
are sex linked and caused by
recessive alleles.
Therefore they can only
come from yo' mama iffin she be passin'
recessive alleles.
Dad gives you a Y no matter what.
(Only one locus in us men here, no such thing as Y^A vs Y^a) So you are either XA Y (hairy)
or (X^a Y) genotyped for pattern baldness.
But a father can pass
on a recessive allele X^a
to a daughter,
who will be bald Xa Xa if the mother
is X^A X^a (carrier) or X^a X^a (bald)
and also passes a recessive allele

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I dont know if wearing a hat makes you go bald, but I do know how to make hair grow on the palm of your right hand!!![;)]
View Quote

Or left, Let's try to be PC here.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:44:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My father always told me that it did, but I have also heard that it has nothing to do with it.
View Quote

Hmmm.  Any correlation between skivvies and pubic hair?  This may explain some of those pics on Playboy.com I saw last night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top